PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt to the Phillies

reds44
07-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Ken_Rosenthal FOX 26 in Houston reporting #Astros and #Phillies have deal in place for Oswalt. Trying to confirm. His approval would be required. #MLB

The Voice of IH
07-29-2010, 01:30 AM
ESPN said that the players have been agreed on, now it is just the matter of how much Houston is going to pay his salary (because since they can't get rid of Wreth) and I think Phillies want to talk to Oswalt about the feature as well.

fearofpopvol1
07-29-2010, 03:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5418615

To me, it sounds like there's quite a bit of disagreement still and this is far from being a lock.

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2010, 07:10 AM
"Oswalt to the Phillies"

This is what I'm hearing on Houston radio as well. Oswalt to Phillies pending Roy's waiving of his trade clause. No word that I've heard as to who's going to the Astros.

Blimpie
07-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Can someone remind me, once again, why the Phillies did not want to keep Cliff Lee?

JaxRed
07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Can someone remind me, once again, why the Phillies did not want to keep Cliff Lee?

Because they were stupid.

cumberlandreds
07-29-2010, 07:55 AM

I never figured out that one either. They could have had Lee and Halladay in their rotation this season.

LoganBuck
07-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Something about too many lefties, and then stupidity.

OesterPoster
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Something to do with Cliff Lee not being affordable to them after the 2010 season, thus they'd rather have Halladay guaranteed for 4 years than Lee for 1. Few felt that the Halladay trade could occur without shipping out Lee, but I'm not so sure.

Of course, that looks stupid now that they're trading for Oswalt and his massive contract.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, I'm glad they are stupid. Nobody wants to face Halladay and Lee on back to back days.

Benihana
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
MLBTR:

9:04am: The Astros will receive three players for Oswalt, tweets Rosenthal, while also paying a "very significant" part of his salary. Happ will be one of the three. Astros owner Drayton McLane has been negotiating directly with Phillies president David Montgomery, reports CBS' Danny Knobler.

7:37am: SI's Jon Heyman hears the Astros and Phillies were discussing Happ, righty Vance Worley, and two younger pitchers (Twitter link). Worley, a 22-year-old righty, spent most of 2010 at Double A, posting a 3.20 ERA, 6.6 K/9, and 2.9 BB/9. Baseball America ranked him 18th among Phillies prospects heading into the season, predicting a future as a back-end starter or middle reliever.

Reds equivalent:
Matt Maloney, Brad Boxberger, and JC Sulbaran

for Roy Oswalt and the Astros pick up a very significant portion of his salary?

Is there a person on the planet that wouldn't do that deal??

Small chance that you'd have to substitute Bailey for Maloney, but I still make that deal 8 days a week. You'd have to think the Stros were serious about not trading him within the division or he really wouldn't come to the Reds, because I can't imagine Jocketty couldn't beat that deal in his sleep.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
The Astros are ran by some insanely idiotic baseball men. That's all I know.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
MLBTR:

Reds equivalent:

Are you joking? Which one of those players is the equivalent of Happ? Maloney sure isn't. Bailey sure isn't either. Happ was a rookie of the year contender last year. He had a really good year with an era under 3.00. I just can't believe the Phillies put themselves in a position to where they had to give up a young pitcher like that when they could have just kept Lee. The Astros need Happ more than they need Oswalt. I don't know much about the other players, but Happ was certainly the main part of the trade. Without him, that trade doesn't happen. Matt Maloney doesn't = JA Happ.

PuffyPig
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Are you joking? Which one of those players is the equivalent of Happ? Maloney sure isn't. Bailey sure isn't either. Happ was a rookie of the year contender last year. He had a really good year with an era under 3.00. I just can't believe the Phillies put themselves in a position to where they had to give up a young pitcher like that when they could have just kept Lee. The Astros need Happ more than they need Oswalt. I don't know much about the other players, but Happ was certainly the main part of the trade. Without him, that trade doesn't happen. Matt Maloney doesn't = JA Happ.

Happ is hugely overrated.

His xFIP last year was about a run and half greater than his ERA.

Soft tossing lefty, who's more likely to get much worse than much better.

I'd take Bailey over him in a second.

But Maloney is likely a fair comparison going forward. At least much closer than you think.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Wasn't Lee a part of the three way trade that landed the Phillies Halladay? Or am I really not remembering that right?

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with Puffy. Happ is vastly overrated. Isn't he also injured? Or just coming off one?

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Straight robbery by the Phillies. Olney saying they're also getting $12M from the Astros. I find it hard to believe Walt couldn't top this offer.

traderumor
07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I consider this deal a win for the Reds. A division rival giving away a player and money for a light return helps keep the Astros in the lower half of the division in the near term. Good job, Astros!

HokieRed
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
If it goes down as outlined, you can only conclude the Astros either A. Would not trade Oswalt in division or B. He nixed any trade to the Reds.

edabbs44
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Straight robbery by the Phillies. Olney saying they're also getting $12M from the Astros. I find it hard to believe Walt couldn't top this offer.

Maybe the Stros didn't want to see his face in the opposing dugout 18 times next year. I'm sure there would have been a hefty tax that Walt would have had to pony up.

RANDY IN INDY
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Saw Happ pitch last week while I was in Indianapolis. Great mechanics, looks like a pitcher but was surely not blown away by his stuff. With that said, he will probably be a solid lefthander for the Astros if he can stay healthy.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I wish the Reds would have topped that offer.

I hope the Astros current front office hangs around for a long time. If so, we shouldn't have to worry about the Astros being competitive anytime soon.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Maybe the Stros didn't want to see his face in the opposing dugout 18 times next year. I'm sure there would have been a hefty tax that Walt would have had to pony up.

Obvious enough, but you would also think that the Astros would want better players on their team 162 games a year rather than worry about facing a specific pitcher 3-4 times a year.

edabbs44
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Obvious enough, but you would also think that the Astros would want better players on their team 162 games a year rather than worry about facing a specific pitcher 3-4 times a year.

You would, but that isn't how it is out there. I share the sentiment but all it takes is the Astros GM to not feel the same way and that's all it takes.

LvJ
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
So, Jonathan Singleton is rather good.

blumj
07-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Wasn't Lee a part of the three way trade that landed the Phillies Halladay? Or am I really not remembering that right?

Not really. The Phillies got prospects from the Mariners and the Blue Jays got prospects from the Phillies, nobody went from the M's to the Jays.

hebroncougar
07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Call me nuts, but I wanted no part of Oswalt.

REDREAD
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
MLBTR:

Reds equivalent:

No offense, but Happ has a lifetime IP of 217 and a 3.11 career ERA
That's significantly better than Maloney.

I think the Reds would've had to give up Leake or Wood to get the job done.
I don't know much about the secondary players, but Happ is much better than Maloney or Homer.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
No offense, but Happ has a lifetime IP of 217 and a 3.11 career ERA
That's significantly better than Maloney.

I think the Reds would've had to give up Leake or Wood to get the job done.
I don't know much about the secondary players, but Happ is much better than Maloney or Homer.

His ERA is pure luck. I'm not saying Maloney is better.. It's just a sad haul the Astros are bringing in.

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree with Puffy. Happ is vastly overrated. Isn't he also injured? Or just coming off one?

Happ's overrated, but he is a full step ahead of Maloney talent wise.

He throws a few MPH harder and has better off speed stuff, than Maloney. Happ had a higher K rate in the minors but also a higher Bb rate. Happ is also a better GB pitcher than Maloney. If Happ can improve his control, he can be a successful #3-4 starter. Maloney's ceiling is a #5.

Neither are worth being the center piece of an Oswalt deal, but I think most teams would choose Happ over Maloney every time.

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 01:50 PM

They also threw in $12M. I doubt they would have been willing to give the Reds more money to help them become stronger. Giving a rival a player that is at the end of his career is one thiing. Giving them payflex is another.

I think that is why Oswalt is not a Red. The Reds asked for $$$ help and the Astros refused. End of negotiations, especially when it was clear that the Reds weren't going to give up more talent than the Phillies.

Brutus
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
The Reds don't need Roy Oswalt. They're going to land Zack Greinke.
:D

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Call me nuts, but I wanted no part of Oswalt.

Okay you are nuts.

Nothing wrong with that, since I agree with you. Going forward, he's not not that big of an improvement over what the Reds have. And even if the Astros were to kick in $12M, Oswalt's contract would still eat up enough of their payflex next season that wouldn't be able to add much.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
They also threw in $12M. I doubt they would have been willing to give the Reds more money to help them become stronger. Giving a rival a player that is at the end of his career is one thiing. Giving them payflex is another.

I think that is why Oswalt is not a Red. The Reds asked for $$$ help and the Astros refused. End of negotiations, especially when it was clear that the Reds weren't going to give up more talent than the Phillies.

Not that anything I said wasn't, but this is all speculation. We have no idea whether the Reds offered better players, or that they demanded money.

My entire point was I think the Reds could have given up more talent, and gotten around the same amount of cash, and both the Reds and the Astros would be better off. If I'm the Astros, I'm not worried about Oswalt getting 3-4 starts a year for 2 years against me (as opposed to 1-2 with him on the Phillies), when I'm getting controllable talent for 6 years, but that's just me.

Again, there are other factors that you have to consider (Bob's approval, Roy's approval, etc.). I just find it hard to believe that Jocketty couldn't have topped this offer, so maybe there is something else that kept it from happening.

hebroncougar
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Okay you are nuts.

Nothing wrong with that, since I agree with you. Going forward, he's not not that big of an improvement over what the Reds have. And even if the Astros were to kick in $12M, Oswalt's contract would still eat up enough of their payflex next season that wouldn't be able to add much.

That's why I wouldn't want him. If I'm a Phillie fan, I'd be wondering how my team got rid of Lee because they couldn't afford Halladay and Lee this year, but can afford Halladay and Oswalt next year.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 02:01 PM
That's why I wouldn't want him. If I'm a Phillie fan, I'd be wondering how my team got rid of Lee because they couldn't afford Halladay and Lee this year, but can afford Halladay and Oswalt next year.

Oh trust the Phillies fans are saying this.

It is really odd. But I'm sure the Phillies brass would admit that privately.

OesterPoster
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh trust the Phillies fans are saying this.

It is really odd. But I'm sure the Phillies brass would admit that privately.

Certainly. John Kruk went on a Baseball Tonight rant about this topic from the fans' point of view just a week or two ago.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM

There is a big difference between Oswalt +$12M for $40Mish and Cliff Lee for $100Mish, which is what he is going to command this offseason.

They traded Cliff Lee because he wanted to test the free agent market, whereas Halladay was willing to sign an extension. It's really quite simple.

savafan
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
ed_price

Now have 2 people, not involved in trade, saying Phillies trading Jonathan Singleton in Oswalt deal. If so, that's a good get for Astros.

IslandRed
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
The Astros are ran by some insanely idiotic baseball men. That's all I know.

Actually, they're run by an owner who fancies himself a baseball man, which is even worse. For them. Good for us, ultimately.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
There is a big difference between Oswalt +$12M for $40Mish and Cliff Lee for $100Mish, which is what he is going to command this offseason.

They traded Cliff Lee because he wanted to test the free agent market, whereas Halladay was willing to sign an extension. It's really quite simple.

You are missing the point. The Phillies really only want Oswalt for this year.. They should have just kept Cliff Lee and got Halladay.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 02:30 PM
You are missing the point. The Phillies really only want Oswalt for this year.. They should have just kept Cliff Lee and got Halladay.

And you know this how?

I think a major reason why they got him was because he's signed for two more seasons after this one, and he's not just a rental.

LoganBuck
07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
So is Jayson Werth back on the market then?

Cedric
07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Oswalt will only ok the trade if the buyout on his contract is increased to 3 million. Gammons also reports he is mad at Houston for not accepting a deal with St. Louis.

savafan
07-29-2010, 02:47 PM

I hear there was very little interest

savafan
07-29-2010, 02:49 PM
http://twitter.com/AmyKNelson

Filed to ESPN.com: Source says Phils will add $1m to buyout of 2012 option, to compensate for waiving of no-trade & added income tax #trades

Also, they are working out details now for Oswalt to keep his no-trade clause once he's traded to Philly. #trades http://es.pn/b8ch1f

UKFlounder
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I think Victorino got hurt, so they may need Werth now

UKFlounder
07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Midseason pressure & desires to win are greater (more "juices flowing, nerves being wrecked") than in the offseason. The "here and now" approach, sort of.

Blimpie
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
They traded Cliff Lee because he wanted to test the free agent market, whereas Halladay was willing to sign an extension. It's really quite simple.I might have been dreaming, but that is not the way I remember it.

I seem to remember Lee being ecstatic when he was first acquired by Philadelphia from Cleveland. By most reports, he was ready to discuss a long-term deal with the Phillies almost immediately.

When he was traded to Seattle, Lee seemed completely shocked and even indicated that the Phillies brass did not appear interested in even discussing an extension with him.

LoganBuck
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I think Victorino got hurt, so they may need Werth now

Victorino only has an oblique stain. He will be back.

Domonic Brown is an uber-prospect. Stud. If the Phillies have called him up for good, Werth is redundant.

traderumor
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Oswalt will only ok the trade if the buyout on his contract is increased to 3 million. Gammons also reports he is mad at Houston for not accepting a deal with St. Louis.While as a Reds fan, I am thankful that Houston did not deal him to the Cards, if they took a lesser deal because of some "division rivals" premium, they deserve to remain at the bottom of the division.

I fully expected them to take the best deal available since they have so far to go before they are competing in the division again, although admittedly, I have not seen any definitive deal that the Cards were offering. My assumption was that the "division rival" would not be in play because they would not be competing in the division for the duration of Oswalt's contract. Of course, that was based on a basic assumption that baseball intelligence currently existed in that org., which clearly it does not.

RBA
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
MLB NETWORK reporting deal is done according to Ken Rosenthal

LoganBuck
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Ken Rosenthal now reporting trade is done, per MLB Network

Oswalt to Phillies

To Astros
JA Happ
Anthony Gose
Jonathon Villar

Brutus
07-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Oswalt to Phillies

To Astros
JA Happ
Anthony Gose
Jonathon Villar

So singleton wasn't part of the deal? Interesting.

That makes Cliff Lee, Dan Haren and Roy Oswalt all being moved with arguably only one top-flight prospect changing hands.

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 03:01 PM

That makes Cliff Lee, Dan Haren and Roy Oswalt all being moved with arguably only one top-flight prospect changing hands.
And with us getting none of them despite having a need and top flight prospects.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I might have been dreaming, but that is not the way I remember it.

I seem to remember Lee being ecstatic when he was first acquired by Philadelphia from Cleveland. By most reports, he was ready to discuss a long-term deal with the Phillies almost immediately.

When he was traded to Seattle, Lee seemed completely shocked and even indicated that the Phillies brass did not appear interested in even discussing an extension with him.

Wow, you're more than right.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/121709_cliff-lee-shocked-by-trade-to-mariners

Guess I should have done some research before blabbering.

I still stand by that Lee would have wanted more years and probably more money than Halladay would have gotten, but I'm less convinced they made the right move than I was 15 minutes ago.

LoganBuck
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

This has been the going rate for the last few years. Which is why I always laugh at trade proposals that include all of a teams best prospects. Ask for the moon, get a moon pie.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 03:04 PM
There is also this though:

Amaro said he didn't keep Lee, who has one year and $9 million remaining on his contract, for two reasons. He felt Lee wanted to test the free-agent market next winter and couldn't afford to keep him and lose him for nothing. And he needed prospects to replenish the ones lost in both the Lee-from-Cleveland trade and the Halladay deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4748216

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, you're more than right.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/121709_cliff-lee-shocked-by-trade-to-mariners

Guess I should have done some research before blabbering.

I still stand by that Lee would have wanted more years and probably more money than Halladay would have gotten, but I'm less convinced they made the right move than I was 15 minutes ago.

What that article leaches out is that the counter offer that Lee gave the Phils was so outrageous, that they felt they had to trade him.

That statement was pure posturing by Lee, and did not reflect the reality of the situation. The Phillies were convinced after seeing Lee's counter offer that he would be gone after this season, hence the Halliday trade. Lee's demands in Seattle were also the reason why he was traded. He's going to the Yankees next year, everyone knows it.

You were right the first time. :)

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Gammons also reports he is mad at Houston for not accepting a deal with St. Louis.

I'm mad at Houston for not accepting the deal with St. Louis as well. :cool:

Cedric
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM

I think the Royals have done the best so far...

RBA
07-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Houston simply didn't want to trade inside the division. Maybe they remember them giving the Reds Joe Morgan?

Joseph
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Houston simply didn't want to trade inside the division. Maybe they remember them giving the Reds Joe Morgan?

C'mon, that was a great trade. :)

Outshined_One
07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
What an awful, awful deal for the Astros if the reports on the return they'll get for him is true. The best they could do for Oswalt + $11M is a #4 starter and two lottery tickets?

Cedric
07-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Drayton Mclane is just insane though. It's really nice that he has sunk the Astros for the foreseeable future. Peter Gammons just stated that Drayton Mclane won't trade Myers because he can't stomach rebuilding. Said he was trading Oswalt only because he forced their hand. How can he possibly stomach the terrible team he has lined up for the near future?

REDREAD
07-29-2010, 03:22 PM
His ERA is pure luck. I'm not saying Maloney is better.. It's just a sad haul the Astros are bringing in.

I agree they should've been able to do better, especially considering the cash they are paying.

Happ's peripherals might not be gaudy, but IMO, he's already accomplished more than Malony ever will. He's a useful guy for the pitching staff. But yea, it looks like Oswalt backed the Astros into a corner with his no trade clause. I guess Happ is better than anything the Cards were offering.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I guess Happ is better than anything the Cards were offering.

Not necessarily! I think the Astros just can't accept that they really are a bad team and don't have a chance at winning in the near future. They don't want to help a division rival, because they think they can still compete. From the sound of it, they declined the Cards lone offer for Oswalt, because the players being offered didn't match up to what the Astros needs. The Cardinals didn't have a young Major League ready starter to offer for Oswalt, and the Phillies did. Perhaps the Astros expected the Cardinals to trade them Garcia.

The Cardinals have young infielders, young outfielders, and Shelby Miller. The Astros mistake was either not wanting to deal with a division rival or narrowing their demands to a return that included a young Major League ready starter instead of getting the best overall package.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Not necessarily! I think the Astros just can't accept that they really are a bad team and don't have a chance at winning in the near future. They don't want to help a division rival, because they think they can still compete. From the sound of it, they declined the Cards lone offer for Oswalt, because the players being offered didn't match up to what the Astros needs. The Cardinals didn't have a young Major League ready starter to offer for Oswalt, and the Phillies did. Perhaps the Astros expected the Cardinals to trade them Garcia.

The Cardinals have young infielders, young outfielders, and Shelby Miller. The Astros mistake was either not wanting to deal with a division rival or narrowing their demands to a return that included a young Major League ready starter instead of getting the best overall package.
Or Oswalt was really insistent on not coming to Cincinnati.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Oswalt to Phillies

To Astros
JA Happ
Anthony Gose
Jonathon Villar

Wow. The Phillies hosed the Astros. I would be furious right now if I were an Astros fan.

Mario-Rijo
Victorino only has an oblique stain. He will be back.

Domonic Brown is an uber-prospect. Stud. If the Phillies have called him up for good, Werth is redundant.

Not necessarily because Ibanez has struggled all season.

flyer85
What an awful, awful deal for the Astros if the reports on the return they'll get for him is true. The best they could do for Oswalt + $11M is a #4 starter and two lottery tickets?
I'm sure they explored other options ... it is simply a buyers market.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm sure they explored other options ... it is simply a buyers market.

How can you be sure of that? The Astros aren't known for making smart decisions. They have a history of making moves that just don't make sense.

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow. The Phillies hosed the Astros. I would be furious right now if I were an Astros fan.

Why just right now? This ain't new to them.

CarolinaRedleg
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
From the ESPN story.....

Although the Phillies prospects have not been publicly identified, sources said the Astros will receive outfielder Anthony Gose as part of the deal and then send him to the Toronto Blue Jays. Gose is currently at Class A Clearwater in the Florida State League, where he was batting .263 with a team-high 110 hits.

Do the Astros owe the Jays a PTBNL? Can a traded player be a PTBNL? What's the deal?

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
From the ESPN story.....

Do the Astros owe the Jays a PTBNL? Can a traded player be a PTBNL? What's the deal?

Maybe the Jays are sending them an arm for Gose, Zach Stewart???

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Or Oswalt was really insistent on not coming to Cincinnati.

That's possible, but it's been widely reported that Oswalt wanted to go to St. Louis. Then again, what pitcher wouldn't want to work with Dave Duncan? Well... the only one that I can think of is Brett Tomko. lol

Brutus
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
So Cincinnati didn't get Haren because he wanted to stay out West. Blame it on geography.

They didn't get Oswalt because the Astros wanted no part of a division rival. Blame it on alignment.

So the Reds didn't get Lee because of the M's fascination with Smoak. Blame it on the rain (Seattle).

The Queen City is making me feel more like a jester than royalty. Oy vey.

wheels
07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
So Cincinnati didn't get Haren because he wanted to stay out West. Blame it on geography.

They didn't get Oswalt because the Astros wanted no part of a division rival. Blame it on alignment.

So the Reds didn't get Lee because of the M's fascination with Smoak. Blame it on the rain (Seattle).

The Queen City is making me feel more like a jester than royalty. Oy vey.

Screw 'em if they don't wanna play for our boys. It'll be that much more fun to lay the wood to 'em in October.

Bring it on.

reds44
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Screw 'em if they don't wanna play for our boys. It'll be that much more fun to lay the wood to 'em in October.

Bring it on.
Yessir!

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Astros has flipped Anthony Gose to the Blue Jays for Brett Wallace.

Big Klu
07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

We all know what happens when Smoak gets in your eyes.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Astros has flipped Anthony Gose to the Blue Jays for Brett Wallace.

Hmm, I always liked Wallace should be interesting to see how he turns out.

blumj
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Nobody who has him ever seems to want to keep him, though. Should we be getting an Andy Marte vibe?

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Well I don't like this at all. Wallace is too good of a hitter to go to Houston. What are the Jays thinking?

savafan
07-29-2010, 05:22 PM
mlbtraderumors

RT @jcrasnick: Padres, Cardinals made late runs at Oswalt.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Nobody who has him ever seems to want to keep him, though. Should we be getting an Andy Marte vibe?

I know, wonder why? I hope Alonso doesn't end up being in this category.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Well I don't like this at all. Wallace is too good of a hitter to go to Houston. What are the Jays thinking?

I'm going to comment on my own post. What are the Astros thinking? The Cardinals trade Wallace to the AL because they couldn't find a position that he can field. So why do the Astros want him??? I love Wallace's bat, but this is his 4th team in a year.... I'm not sure what that means but I don't think it's good.

Brutus
07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
We all know what happens when Smoak gets in your eyes.

Well played, Mauer. Well played.

savafan
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Apparently the Rangers also made a strong push for Oswalt, as well as trying to acquire Prince Fielder from Milwaukee. For a team that's bankrupt, they sure are looking to take on a lot of money.

Chip R
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Apparently the Rangers also made a strong push for Oswalt, as well as trying to acquire Prince Fielder from Milwaukee. For a team that's bankrupt, they sure are looking to take on a lot of money.

Sure. Why not? Other people's money.

Seriously, that is an unreported scandal. I don't know why the other owners aren't demanding that the only deals they make are payroll neutral or that they are decreasing payroll.

oregonred
07-29-2010, 11:49 PM
It is amazing to see Lee, Haren and Oswalt moved. This has been one of the more active trade deadlines in years. More surprising, the Yankees missed on all three.

Greinke would be the big prize, it will be interesting to see if he gets moved. No longer would be such a shocker.

oregonred
07-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Sure. Why not? Other people's money.

Seriously, that is an unreported scandal. I don't know why the other owners aren't demanding that the only deals they make are payroll neutral or that they are decreasing payroll.

True, but the Dallas market is gee-nor-mous as the #5 metro area and the fastest growing (# people) in the country. It's a sea of Fortune 500 HQ as well. They'll need a second franchise in North Texas by 2030 when the area hits about 10M people. That franchise is a hidden gem for the new ownership. BIG, make that an immensely big and wealthy, market. That's why they are getting slack.

CTA513
07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Its the 5th inning and Oswalt has given up 5 runs so far in his Phillies debut.