PDA

View Full Version : How's it going to play out?

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
We're tied for first place, and could be there alone or even a half game back depending on the Cardinals and Mets outcome today. Lots of tough decisions are going to have to be made for this club. How do you see it happening?

Waiting in the wings in AAA are Springer, Izzy and Dickerson. Before any of the three can be called up to Cincinnati, someone has to be removed from the 40-man roster. (EDIT: We have room for one on the 40-man roster). Who gets bumped when these guys come up? Also, who do they replace on the current roster? Will the pitchers even be added?

In Dickerson's case, you could kill two birds with one stone by DFAing Nix.

Before you give your thoughts on how Izzy or Springer could join the team, remember that Harang and Bailey are somewhere waiting to rejoin the club. That's not even considering Chapman, who I don't think will be up until the rosters expand anyway.

How is all this going to work? Who gets taken off the 40-man? Who gets sent to Louisville? Where does Leake's workload figure into this equation? Just some food for thought on an off day.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
My post # 2 was so good that Redszone put it up there twice. Sweet.

Now they deleted so that was demoted is now lost to the world. Not really. I said that Jordan Smith had an ERA of 4.15 and had just given up runs in three consecutive outings when they signed Springer. This had to be of some concern. Since then he has bounced back nicely.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
This brings me to one of my pet peeves. I am looking at the 40-man roster and thinking to myself that they could easily add one little column stating whether a player has options left or not. Grrr. Why should that information be so hard to find?

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure when they signed both Springer and Izzy that they were thought of as replacements for Smith and Ondrusek, but those guys have pitched so well, they can't really be demoted at this point.

It's certainly plenty possible that one or both of those guys could blow up in the next month or so. Even if they don't, I believe players have to be added to be on the 40-man by Sept. 1 to be eligible for the postseason. So if you want Springer or Izzy as insurance, a player or two will have to be removed from the 40-man.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
If I counted correctly there is an open spot on the 40-man roster as I counted 39 players on it. Dickerson up, Nix gone leaves it at 39. If they move Harang from the 15-day to the 60-day DL it would make 38, leaving room for both Springer and Isringhausen.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Pitchers on 40-man roster:

79 Jose Arredondo (60-day DL)
61 Bronson Arroyo
34 Homer Bailey (15-day DL)
45 Bill Bray
51 Jared Burton
54 Aroldis Chapman
48 Francisco Cordero
47 Johnny Cueto
58 Enerio Del Rosario
46 Carlos Fisher
39 Aaron Harang (15-day DL)
52 Daniel Ray Herrera
44 Mike Leake
63 Sam LeCure
57 Mike Lincoln (60-day DL)
56 Matt Maloney
40 Nick Masset
66 Logan Ondrusek
33 Micah Owings
53 Arthur Rhodes
62 Jordan Smith
68 Philippe Valiquette
36 Edinson Volquez
30 Travis Wood

When you start making a list of "untouchables" in terms of removing from the 40-man, it fills up pretty quickly. Guys on the 60-day DL being taken off don't open up a spot. Very complicated.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
You are correct. When Corky Miller was reassigned, he was taken off the 40-man. I had forgotten about that. If they want Corky to catch in September, they'll have to put him back on. But seeing as how Hernandez and Hanigan have been used relatively lightly this season, I don't see that being necessary.

brm7675
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't see Izzy joining the roster till it expands in Sept, I can see Springer taking Fishers spot. The question with Dickerson is do you demote Heisey even though that would be stupid or do you demote/DFA Nix. Personally given Dustys take on it, I see Heisey going back down and returning with the Sept. call ups.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I wonder what the status of Mike "probably sitting at home drinkin'" Lincoln is? I can't believe whatever injury they made up to get him on the DL is still bothering him, but he isn't doing any rehab work or anything.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I wonder what the status of Mike "probably sitting at home drinkin'" Lincoln is? I can't believe whatever injury they made up to get him on the DL is still bothering him, but he isn't doing any rehab work or anything.
That's great as far as I'm concerned. I pray he has thrown his last pitch as a Red (no offense to Mike as a person, I'm sure he's a nice guy).

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
That's great as far as I'm concerned. I pray he has thrown his last pitch as a Red (no offense to Mike as a person, I'm sure he's a nice guy).

Why don't they go ahead and DFA him then? Someone might pick him up and save the Reds a couple of bucks.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I could see Fisher being replaced by Springer, but that then leaves you without a long man. I'm not saying a long man is completely necessary, but until Volquez gets going again it looks like it is.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Why don't they go ahead and DFA him then? Someone might pick him up and save the Reds a couple of bucks.
I don't know, it doesn't make sense to me to hold on to him, but there might be a reason. I doubt anyone is going to pick him up, though.

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow Mike Lincoln is still on the 40 man roster? It seems kind of obvious to DFA him. I could see Herrera getting the boot as well to make room for another veteran. We don't really need Danny since Rhodes, Bray and Chapman should be good enough from the left side.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Wow Mike Lincoln is still on the 40 man roster? It seems kind of obvious to DFA him. I could see Herrera getting the boot as well to make room for another veteran. We don't really need Danny since Rhodes, Bray and Chapman should be good enough from the left side.
Yeah, Lincoln is still there but with being on the 60-day DL he's not taking up a spot. I'm almost positive he will be DFA'd at some point. I don't know why the Reds FO is dragging their feet in doing it though.

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
And I didn't even consider Jared Burton as someone who might could help. He's throwing the ball well in AAA, and especially well over the last month. Plus he's been a solid reliever at the big-league level in the past.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Having too many arms is a heckuva lot better than having too few.

UPRedsFan
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Makes my head spin.

Dickerson should be up now. I frankly don't care whether Nix is gone or Heisey is sent down. Without Dickerson we don't have the best 5 outfielders on the team.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Makes my head spin.

Dickerson should be up now. I frankly don't care whether Nix is gone or Heisey is sent down. Without Dickerson we don't have the best 5 outfielders on the team.

Just the fact that you said, the Reds do not have the best 5 Outfielders on the team, even without Mentioning Dickerson concerns me...

PhatHead
07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I thought Yonder Alonso was on the 40 man roster.

Vottomatic
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Yeah. He's hanging with Danny Ray Herrera. :beerme:

Vottomatic
07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
We have too many people who might help. We may have 40 guys sitting on the bench in September. :D

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought Yonder Alonso was on the 40 man roster.

He is, but he's not a pitcher.