PDA

View Full Version : Astros Discussing Berkman Deals (Berkman traded to NYY)

savafan
07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
May start a complete rebuilding of the team.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/astros-discussing-berkman-deals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I think there is a very good chance of this happening since they just acquired Wallace from the Blue Jays who would replace Berkman.

PuffyPig
07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Berkman looks fat and a shell of his former self.

I didn't even fear his in the last series.

Instead of HR's he was hitting in DP's.

I certainly wouldn't give up anything of real value for him.

RedsManRick
07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I could see him as a DH in NYC. With Cantu going to Texas, I'm not sure what other teams in the hunt need a decent bat with limited defensive value who would be willing to pay the price I'm sure the Astros are looking for.

Scrap Irony
07-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm not saying Berkman would be my top choice, but he's exactly the type of player Jocketty has targeted in the past that has paid off big-time.

Jack Clark (his second time through St. Louis), Will Clark, Larry Walker-- there is a long list of guys most thought through that blossomed for a few months or a year under Jocketty.

That said, is Berkman even capable of playing OF?

Falls City Beer
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Walt picks up an offensive player (insurance against Rolen's back). Probably of the Cantu/Berkman/Wigginton mold.

mdccclxix
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not saying Berkman would be my top choice, but he's exactly the type of player Jocketty has targeted in the past that has paid off big-time.

Jack Clark (his second time through St. Louis), Will Clark, Larry Walker-- there is a long list of guys most thought through that blossomed for a few months or a year under Jocketty.

That said, is Berkman even capable of playing OF?

Once Berkman's knee has recovered, he should have a Berkman-esque season next year and beyond. I'd love to see him in LF if that's possible.

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
We can help their rebuild by taking Pence, Myers, and Lindstrom. :)

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind Berkman. As bad as he has been, his numbers aren't as bad as you might think. He is still OPSing over .800.

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
If Berkman were fit enough to play LF I wouldn't mind a deal for him - I don't think that's so though. It would be for 2 or 3 second-line propsects though - none of the front-line kids.

savafan
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Buster_ESPN

Heard this: The White Sox consider Lance Berkman as one of their Plan B options, now what they don't expect to get Adam Dunn.

reds44
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I want to know why Buster feels the need to start every tweet with heard this. Rather annoying.

KronoRed
07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Well it's better then saying what he is actualy doing
"making this up.."

:D

savafan
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Well it's better then saying what he is actualy doing
"making this up.."

:D

LOL

WVRed
07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I guess the real question is, would adding Berkman be worth taking away a/b's from Jonny Gomes or even Jay Bruce?

If Gomes shifted to RF on a night that they wanted to rest Bruce, would our OF defense suffer?

reds44
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I guess the real question is, would adding Berkman be worth taking away a/b's from Jonny Gomes or even Jay Bruce?

If Gomes shifted to RF on a night that they wanted to rest Bruce, would our OF defense suffer?
Yes is an understatement.

MattyHo4Life
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Jack Clark (his second time through St. Louis)

What? Huh? Call me Rip VanWinkle, because I totally slept through Jack Clark's second time through St. Louis.

Chip R
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
What? Huh? Call me Rip VanWinkle, because I totally slept through Jack Clark's second time through St. Louis.

Must be thinking of Will Clark.

PuffyPig
07-29-2010, 11:36 PM

Bruce is one of the best defensive RF in baseball.

Gomes struggles in LF.

You tell us.....

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Bruce is one of the best defensive RF in baseball.

Gomes struggles in LF.

You tell us.....

The Reds need Bruce to abandon his Paul Householder career track and have a huge second half if they're gonna stay with the Cards - simple as that. That and hope Rolen can stay on the field and productive.

KronoRed
07-29-2010, 11:49 PM

May as well put Stubbs out there by himself.

reds44
07-29-2010, 11:51 PM
The Reds need Bruce to abandon his Paul Householder career track and have a huge second half if they're gonna stay with the Cards - simple as that. That and hope Rolen can stay on the field and productive.
We're 4 months into the season and we're in first place. I think it's time to stop waiting for this team to collapse.

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Not saying anything about a collapse, just that you can't necessarily count on those who've carried the team thus far to have the same kind of second half. I just think the Reds need more than the first half output they received from Bruce - especially if the season starts wearing on Rolen.

Ron Madden
07-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Buster_ESPN

Heard this: The White Sox consider Lance Berkman as one of their Plan B options, now what they don't expect to get Adam Dunn.

I hope Buster is right. I have a feeling Berkmen is fading fast and I don't want to see him burn out in Cincinnati.

mth123
07-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I think Walt picks up an offensive player (insurance against Rolen's back). Probably of the Cantu/Berkman/Wigginton mold.

Kelly Johnson would be perfect.

mdccclxix
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
He's a Yank!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/yankees-close-to-acquiring-lance-berkman.html

RedEye
07-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Didn't see this (http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/19942928050) posted elsewhere. Joel Sherman reporting the deal will be official tomorrow. Have to wait for Berkman's 10 and 5 rights paperwork to be done.

RedEye
07-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Whoops... just saw the other thread. Sorry.

BearcatShane
07-30-2010, 07:29 PM
It's going to be weird playing the Stros without the two main Reds killers on the team.

mdccclxix
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
It's going to be weird playing the Stros without the two main Reds killers on the team.

It's going to be weirdly AWESOME!

The Pirates and Stos are falling fast.

I really believe Berkman has 3 more great years in him. He's a born hitter. Next year he'll make people wish they didn't doubt him.

That said, good riddance!

redsfandan
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm a little surprised that he doesn't want the yanks to pick up his big option. I mean I can understand if he's more comfortable in Houston but I think they may be moving on and, at this point in his career, I doubt he'll ever see that kind of paycheck again.

mdccclxix
07-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Buster_ESPN

Heard this: The Astros are picking up a lot of the money owed to Lance Berkman in their agreement with the Yankees, and the NYY won't be giving up any major prospects.#trades

Unreal. I'm so glad I'm not an Astros fan.

MattyHo4Life
07-30-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm going to the Cards/Astros game on Monday. You are right...it will be nice playing the Astros without those two on the team. It would be even better if Oswalt was a Cardinal. lol

SirFelixCat
07-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Unreal. I'm so glad I'm not an Astros fan.

Seriously. I just don't understand what the Astros are doing unloading Roy O & Reds Killer and paying a chunk of the $$$ owed to them and STILL not getting a whole lot in return.

I truly feel bad for Astro fans.:scared:

savafan
07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I truly feel bad for Astro fans.:scared:

They'll learn pretty fast that they should be Reds fans.

RedsManRick
07-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Astros fans have been living in denial the last few years. The roots were already dead; it's just now that the leaves are falling off.

Joseph
07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Why pay for someone else to give you nothing?

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
That said, 'Stros have been to the World Series and although they did not win it; they were VERY good and competitive for over a decade. We might think the means by which they did this was poor but at least they had their time at the omega point.

Falls City Beer
07-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Why pay for someone else to give you nothing?

It's not nothing. The Yanks are going to be on the hook for some of the salary. That's how bad it is: teams will trade away anything for a little salary relief. It's not really about competing.

REDREAD
07-30-2010, 11:55 PM
It's not nothing. The Yanks are going to be on the hook for some of the salary. That's how bad it is: teams will trade away anything for a little salary relief. It's not really about competing.

Yep, I think one report said the Yanks would pick up about 3 million.
The Yanks also picked up Kearns for cash or a PTBL.. Kind of wished the Reds could've topped that offer.

RBA
07-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Maybe Kearns goes to Houston as part of the deal?

redsfandan
07-31-2010, 03:56 AM
They'll learn pretty fast that they should be Reds fans.
Or maybe they'll just become Ranger fans.