PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Acquire Cristian Guzman

reds44
07-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm think I'm going to go bankrupt, seems to give you a lot of money.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rangers-acquire-cristian-guzman.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Falls City Beer
07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rangers-acquire-cristian-guzman.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thank gawd he's out of the NL, I say. I get pretty sick of seeing him rake against our pitchers.

NJReds
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM

The other owners in the AL have to be seething. They're subsidizing the "bankrupt" Rangers who seem to have a limitless budget for acquiring new players.

nate
07-30-2010, 03:38 PM
A decent contact guy, just not against us with his .215/.244/.369 line.

savafan
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
The other owners in the AL have to be seething. They're subsidizing the "bankrupt" Rangers who seem to have a limitless budget for acquiring new players.

Is it possible to foreclose on a franchise?

Sea Ray
07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Traded veterans rarely cost their new teams much in the way of money. Even in the Roy Oswalt trade the Astros more than covered his remaining 2010 salary

NJReds
07-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Traded veterans rarely cost their new teams much in the way of money. Even in the Roy Oswalt trade the Astros more than covered his remaining 2010 salary

From what I heard on ESPN earlier in the season, the league told the owners that the Rangers would not be able to add any salary.

redsmetz
07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Just an aside, folks. Filing for bankruptcy does not mean you don't have cash to work with. Often a line of credit is established as you go into bankruptcy and your debts are reorganized. It's still an operating company and they still have to put the product on the field day in and day out. I don't know the particulars of their present plans of reorganization, but again, businesses regularly carry on day to day business (which can include hiring new staff, if you will). Putting a winning club on the field can go a some way to mending your finances.

remdog
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
It's often said that 'the year picks you' and the Rangers have, obviously, decided that 2010 picked them. They are doing everything possible to win now, rather than later. It's a philosophy that I hope and believe that the Reds have also bought into.

I think Walt believes that the Reds can both win this year and build for the future. It's a tough highwire to walk but Walt pretty much was successful with the same walk when he was in St. Louis and I have a lot of trust in him.

Rem

Brutus
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Just an aside, folks. Filing for bankruptcy does not mean you don't have cash to work with. Often a line of credit is established as you go into bankruptcy and your debts are reorganized. It's still an operating company and they still have to put the product on the field day in and day out. I don't know the particulars of their present plans of reorganization, but again, businesses regularly carry on day to day business (which can include hiring new staff, if you will). Putting a winning club on the field can go a some way to mending your finances.

I'm pretty sure everyone understands bankruptcy. The issue is that they're not supposed to have money because it's now Major League Baseball that is covering their payroll, and it's kind of shady that they're out trying to acquire anyone and everyone on the market at the expense of other owners.

camisadelgolf
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone understands bankruptcy. The issue is that they're not supposed to have money because it's now Major League Baseball that is covering their payroll, and it's kind of shady that they're out trying to acquire anyone and everyone on the market at the expense of other owners.
I believe they started the year with a certain payroll budget, and they've been under budget up until now. Would you rather they just cash in all their highly-paid players and be an automatic win for all their opponents?

Brutus
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe they started the year with a certain payroll budget, and they've been under budget up until now. Would you rather they just cash in all their highly-paid players and be an automatic win for all their opponents?

No, I just believe their payroll should be frozen. If they can acquire players without adding any salary, fine. But I don't believe they should be allowed to add additional salary when other teams are springing for it. It's unfortunate for their fans, but I believe that's how it should be.

REDREAD
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
No, I just believe their payroll should be frozen. If they can acquire players without adding any salary, fine. But I don't believe they should be allowed to add additional salary when other teams are springing for it. It's unfortunate for their fans, but I believe that's how it should be.

The best way to get the Rangers financially healthy again is to have them make the playoffs.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
The best way to get the Rangers financially healthy again is to have them make the playoffs.

Have you seen the debt they're in? They could make the playoffs the next five seasons and they would not be able to pay off that enormous debt. Seriously, we're way beyond getting them financially healthy under the current situation.

CTA513
07-30-2010, 05:38 PM
The Rangers defense on the right side of the infield keeps getting worse.

PuffyPig
07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank gawd he's out of the NL, I say. I get pretty sick of seeing him rake against our pitchers.

Over the last 4 years his OPS against us in about .683.

Though I seem to remember him raking against us too.

Big Klu
07-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Guzman has now played for all three franchises who have at one time or another called the Nation's Capital their home. I wonder if he is the first player to hold that distinction.

Ron Madden
07-31-2010, 03:54 AM
IMO Guzman is one of the most overrated players in recent history.

Sea Ray
07-31-2010, 08:11 AM
How much actual payroll have the Rangers added? I think their trading partners are picking up most of these salaries