PDA

View Full Version : Observation preceded by disclaimer

Brutus
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I am not in panic mode, nor will I begin cursing Walt Jocketty for suggesting he's not doing his job properly. I am a big Jocketty fan, and I believe this Reds' club will be in the race until the last day of the season.

With that prefaced, it's the proverbial night before baseball Christmas and I feel like the Reds are getting a lump of coal under their trade deadline tree. I'm certain it's not for a lack of trying, and no trade is better than a bad trade. Still, after 10 years of mediocrity, one can't help but feel letdown if nothing happens.

Perhaps something will get done before 4 PM. It just doesn't feel like it. And with already over 15 trades having gone down this month--and still more to come--it's bitter tasting that the Reds haven't gotten anything done.

But hey, I still believe in the organization. That hasn't been an easy thing to say. And this team is capable of winning without help. It's just going to be a bit of a disappointment if nothing goes down.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I hear ya. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if the Reds don't make a move. The Reds need another outfielder (Luke Scott?) and another arm.

I'm still disappointed over not landing Cliff Lee. He would have locked the division up for the Reds, IMO.

edabbs44
07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't sweat it. If it doesn't happen, it means it shouldn't have happened.

I think a deal gets done with Toronto for Downs or Frasier.

camisadelgolf
07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I look to Jocketty to go for quantity instead of quality. I could see a couple deals going for Luke Scott + Rafael Betancourt. Don't get me wrong--they're quality--but they're not the superstars that Reds fans tend to lust for at the deadline.

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't think they'll trade for a SS or an OF. I think they feel they've got what they need already in those areas, right or wrong.

RedsManRick
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure I see many guys out there who are notably better than what we've got -- at least not for the prices teams are demanding. I would not give up Alonso for 15 IP of a marginally better RP.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure I see many guys out there who are notably better than what we've got -- at least not for the prices teams are demanding. I would not give up Alonso for 15 IP of a marginally better RP.

I'm not sure the prices that are being reported are accurate. Take a look at the deals that have been done this month. It's most definitely a buyer's market. There has not been a single trade thus far where the team upgrading the roster has arguably overpaid. If anything, the sellers have been woefully undercompensated.

I am not expecting a Zack Greinke type. Though it would be nice, I'm really just hoping for (as OBM said), a Luke Scott - Rafael Betancourt type of move. Those are guys that could help the roster without, presumably, costing too much.

Big Klu
07-30-2010, 10:20 PM
There will still be deals to be made in August.

savafan
07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
There will still be deals to be made in August.

True, but typically not the blockbuster type of deal, more the extra pieces moves.

thatcoolguy_22
07-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure the prices that are being reported are accurate. Take a look at the deals that have been done this month. It's most definitely a buyer's market. There has not been a single trade thus far where the team upgrading the roster has arguably overpaid. If anything, the sellers have been woefully undercompensated.

I am not expecting a Zack Greinke type. Though it would be nice, I'm really just hoping for (as OBM said), a Luke Scott - Rafael Betancourt type of move. Those are guys that could help the roster without, presumably, costing too much.

I'm expecting a big name that we have not even brought up yet... .... Carl Crawford :D

I would not put it past WJ to grab a name that no one is expecting. The reds have the depth in the minors to grab someone with a name better than Downs or Scott. The Fins could still be disgruntled with Hanley or the Mets could unload Reyes. WJ is crafty and can make the unexpected happen. Granted all are pipe dreams but the point is WJ is good at his job and the Reds have the ammo.

RFS62
07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

I trust Walt.

We're not the Yankees.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm expecting a big name that we have not even brought up yet... .... Carl Crawford :D

I would not put it past WJ to grab a name that no one is expecting. The reds have the depth in the minors to grab someone with a name better than Downs or Scott. The Fins could still be disgruntled with Hanley or the Mets could unload Reyes. WJ is crafty and can make the unexpected happen. Granted all are pipe dreams but the point is WJ is good at his job and the Reds have the ammo.

Funny thing is, I've had that thought for the last two weeks -- that if the Reds make a trade, it will be for someone few (if any) of us saw coming.

REDblooded
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
IMO, the single biggest impact player rumored to be available at this point when assessing the Reds strengths and weaknesses is Stephen Drew... They certainly wouldn't be losing any defense and would be gaining by leaps and bounds with the bat... And Drew has historically hit well from the lead-off spot... allowing you to move Phillips to 2nd, and still maintaining the good ol' l/r/l/r/l/r approach...

Ron Madden
07-31-2010, 04:32 AM
Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

Very true. I'd much rather see Walt stand pat and address the needs of the club during the off season than to over pay for relief pitching or minor upgrades before the deadline.

Brutus
07-31-2010, 01:24 PM
My main issue continues to be that it's a buyer's market. Heck, the Pirates just acquired Chris Snyder--a decent catch for them.

I sure hope Walt has a flare for the dramatic on this lol

dunner13
07-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't forget Walt tried very hard to get Lee, and my guess is he came very close to getting it done. I think one problem is that we probably overvalue our best trading chip Younder Alonso. With his injury problems and still not showing alot of power Im betting alot of teams dont value him real high. I think if he continues to hit well the second half and starts to show some real power then he will have alot more value in the winter then he does right now.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Yep, I feel the same way, Brutus.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Don't forget Walt tried very hard to get Lee, and my guess is he came very close to getting it done. I think one problem is that we probably overvalue our best trading chip Younder Alonso. With his injury problems and still not showing alot of power Im betting alot of teams dont value him real high. I think if he continues to hit well the second half and starts to show some real power then he will have alot more value in the winter then he does right now.

All we have to know about Yonder is that the Mariners much-preferred Smoak over him. And Smoak was drafted AFTER Yonder in the '08 draft. Both college players that play the same position -- Buckley whiffed on that one. Heck, Ike Davis was another college first-baseman taken in the first round of the '08 draft after Alonso.

The Mariners told us everything we need to know about how much trade value Yonder Alonso has. Very little.