PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper on Facebook: 'Probably' Headed Back to JuCo

savafan
07-30-2010, 11:28 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/30/bryce-harper-on-facebook-probably-headed-back-to-juco/?synd=1

Early Friday morning, Harper declared on his Facebook page that he's, "Probably going back to [the College of Southern Nevada] to win a National Championship!" and Machado quickly joined in by saying he'd like to join Harper there. The deadline for both players to sign with the clubs that drafted them is Aug. 16.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Could just be posturing, but I'm hoping he signs.

CTA513
07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to risk injury unless he really has no plans on signing with the Nationals.

TheNext44
07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Considering the strength of next year's draft class, if I were the Nationals, I'd say "Have fun!"

Brutus
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to risk injury unless he really has no plans on signing with the Nationals.

Well, it's either/or. If he goes back to play another season in Southern Nevada, he automatically will have forfeited his chance to sign with the Nationals anyhow. He has only two weeks to sign anyways.

REDblooded
07-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah... It's pretty much either sign now as the number 1, or sign next year as the number 2... Rendon will be the top pick next season if Harper returns...

savafan
07-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah... It's pretty much either sign now as the number 1, or sign next year as the number 2... Rendon will be the top pick next season if Harper returns...

Would the Nationals be so bold as to pick him again if he doesn't sign this time around?

REDblooded
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Would the Nationals be so bold as to pick him again if he doesn't sign this time around?

No chance... He'd have all the leverage, as they wouldn't receive a compensatory pick if he didn't sign...

ahhh... get what you're saying now (sorry, I visited a brewery tonight, and took 1.5 gallons of their product home)...

No... That means he gets to sign next season as a number 3.

Scrap Irony
07-30-2010, 11:51 PM

I would pick Harper number one next season without a doubt in my mind. Rendon is a fine hitter, but guys like him come around once or twice a year.

Guys like Harper come along once a decade.

REDblooded
07-31-2010, 12:09 AM
I would pick Harper number one next season without a doubt in my mind. Rendon is a fine hitter, but guys like him come around once or twice a year.

Ummm... Not really... There were quite a few scouts quoted as saying that if Rendon was available in this years draft he would've been the number one pick...

Now, if you mean that guys are only hyped as much as Harper has been once in a decade, then sure...

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 12:48 AM
I love the fact that teams now have a bunch of leverage since they get a first-round pick the following season as compensation if they don't sign their first-rounder. That gives teams a heck of a lot more bargaining power with the players. Love it.

Harper is just posturing here. He'll sign. If he doesn't, I'll LMAO for him being so dense. I mean, is he hoping his draft stock goes up? (Which is impossible?) Would he rather play for the juggernaut they are building in Baltimore? Either way, he's going to end up on a craptastic team. Might as well get the big $$ and not risk injury at his little JUCO that he plays at. No question he'll sign and this was posted to put some pressure on the Nats.

camisadelgolf
07-31-2010, 01:08 AM
The Nationals would need Harper's permission to be drafted by them again.

johngalt
07-31-2010, 10:56 AM

If he doesn't sign, I doubt he'd give them permission to draft him again.

hebroncougar
07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
I love when people who haven't done anything against any level of competition think they're great. Let him go, have fun in JUCO against low level competition, risk injury, and think you're good.

Slyder
07-31-2010, 01:37 PM
I love when people who haven't done anything against any level of competition think they're great. Let him go, have fun in JUCO against low level competition, risk injury, and think you're good.

Thats one thing I never got. If he's so great why do he have to go to JUCO and not be at like UCLA, USC, or insert top baseball program here?

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Thats one thing I never got. If he's so great why do he have to go to JUCO and not be at like UCLA, USC, or insert top baseball program here?

The coach there is a family friend, they play in a wooden bat league, its close to home and his older brother played there. CSN is also a baseball powerhouse on the JUCO circuit.

Cedric
07-31-2010, 01:45 PM

He left high school early.. Had no choice but JUCO I believe.

IslandRed
07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Right. The point of going to JUCO was to play against better competition while still remaining eligible to be drafted this year. I don't think he could have gone to a major college and still have been draft-eligible this year (they typically have to stay three years before they can be drafted out of college), but I don't know all the ins and outs of the rules.

BoydsOfSummer
07-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Well go on back to JUCO, dipstick. :rolleyes:

Brutus
07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
The coach there is a family friend, they play in a wooden bat league, its close to home and his older brother played there. CSN is also a baseball powerhouse on the JUCO circuit.

But the real reason he went JUCO is because it was the only way, with the draft loophole, he could play baseball for a year and still go into the draft.

RedsManRick
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM

Seems there's a "once in a generation" talent every single year.

redsmetz
07-31-2010, 04:25 PM
I've spoken up for the right of players to make as much money as they can during whatever limited career they have, but the absolute greed of some draft picks anymore is incredible. It's a heckuva risk to go back to JUCO.

Always Red
07-31-2010, 04:56 PM
I've spoken up for the right of players to make as much money as they can during whatever limited career they have, but the absolute greed of some draft picks anymore is incredible. It's a heckuva risk to go back to JUCO.

I agree totally, and I'd love to see this rocket scientist go back to JUCO.

He can't do better than he already has- #1 pick in the draft.

It's all Borass posturing.

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree totally, and I'd love to see this rocket scientist go back to JUCO.

He can't do better than he already has- #1 pick in the draft.

It's all Borass posturing.

Sure, he can't get drafted any higher, but he may get drafted by a team willing to pay more money.

Always Red
07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Sure, he can't get drafted any higher, but he may get drafted by a team willing to pay more money.

Sure, but those are terrible gambling odds in exchange for an entire year of your life.

Next year he could be drafted again #1 by Baltimore, Pittsburgh or Arizona, who tell their fans they are going to draft and sign Harper and make him the centerpiece of the entire organization. And then they don't have enough $ to satisfy the demands of a kid with an ego the size of his? or his agent's?

If he signs now, even for what the Nats are offering (whatever that is), he will have enough to keep him and many of his immediate heirs comfortable the rest of their lives.

If I'm his dad or agent (I know... I'm not) I advise him to negotiate hard until the last minute (maybe even threaten to go back to JUCO. ;)), sign for a ton, and then make an absolute killing with his 2nd contract.

Borass posturing; that's what this is.

REDblooded
07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Pretty much agree that it's posturing...

And I don't care what he thinks he may get next season... He won't be the number 1 pick, and he won't be the number 1 talent... That takes a lot of gloss off of things...

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Pretty much agree that it's posturing...

And I don't care what he thinks he may get next season... He won't be the number 1 pick, and he won't be the number 1 talent... That takes a lot of gloss off of things...

He will still be the #1 talent. Hitters are always better talents than pitchers for the simple fact that they don't throw for a living.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 05:45 PM
I would love to see the Nats call this idiot's bluff.

REDblooded
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
He will still be the #1 talent. Hitters are always better talents than pitchers for the simple fact that they don't throw for a living.

So you think he's better than Rendon who's been said to have a "slump-proof" swing and defensive potential at 3rd base comparable to Rolen?

REDblooded
07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Not to mention his mental make-up appears to be LIGHT YEARS beyond Harpers...

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 05:49 PM

So, he would rather take the easy way out? He wants to play for a coach that is a family friend, he wants to play close to home, he doesn't want to play major college baseball, he wants to play at this little JUCO who beats up on even littler JUCOs? All of this is beyond hilarious. I know it's just posturing on his part, but I can still make fun of him for this absurd line of posturing. He and Boras have NO LEVERAGE. Is he really going to risk having an injury and falling in next year's draft when he could take the millions he is being offered now? Yeah, there is a chance that he would still be the No. 1 pick next year and there is a chance that the Orioles (or whoever finishes with the worst record this year) would give him more money than the Nats are offering, but it would be foolish to take that chance. What if the Orioles do draft him No. 1, but aren't willing to pay him more than the Nats are offering? Then he would have to accept the deal and would be out a full year of big paydays (the paydays he would have received if he would have originally signed with the Nats).

He'll definitely sign with the Nats. There's no question about it.

IslandRed
07-31-2010, 07:43 PM
So, he would rather take the easy way out? He wants to play for a coach that is a family friend, he wants to play close to home, he doesn't want to play major college baseball, he wants to play at this little JUCO who beats up on even littler JUCOs? All of this is beyond hilarious.

Well, to be fair to Harper, the choice wasn't really JUCO or major college, but JUCO or his senior year in high school. He's 17 years old as we write this. Going major-college wasn't an option unless he was willing to push his draft eligibility out three years.

He'll definitely sign with the Nats. There's no question about it.

I agree with that, if he has any sense.

fearofpopvol1
07-31-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd be shocked if he WASN'T posturing.

My guess is the Nats threw an offer to him that was probably low or less than he was looking for.

Still...he comes off sounding like a brat.

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd be shocked if he WASN'T posturing.

My guess is the Nats threw an offer to him that was probably low or less than he was looking for.

Still...he comes off sounding like a brat.

He only comes off sounding like a brat if you are making some big assumptions. If the Nationals are only offering $6M, he sounds like someone making a real smart decision right now.

fearofpopvol1
07-31-2010, 07:55 PM
He only comes off sounding like a brat if you are making some big assumptions. If the Nationals are only offering $6M, he sounds like someone making a real smart decision right now.

He doesn't need to posture publicly. He can do it privately.

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
He doesn't need to posture publicly. He can do it privately.

He didn't exactly call a press conference or even tell a reporter. He posted it on facebook.

fearofpopvol1
07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
He didn't exactly call a press conference or even tell a reporter. He posted it on facebook.

Yes, and he did that knowing that the press and other media would pick up on it. It's not quite the same as a closed door meeting. This is his agent's job, not his. If Boras had said this, it would've been (expected and) different.

He sounds like a brat to me.

dougdirt
07-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, and he did that knowing that the press and other media would pick up on it. It's not quite the same as a closed door meeting. This is his agent's job, not his. If Boras had said this, it would've been (expected and) different.

He sounds like a brat to me.

I am sure that the Nationals know exactly where he stands. They don't need to read his facebook page to know that. I just don't see the big deal about this at all.

fearofpopvol1
07-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I am sure that the Nationals know exactly where he stands. They don't need to read his facebook page to know that. I just don't see the big deal about this at all.

He can obviously do whatever he wants, but he hurts his own image by doing it the way he did in my opinion.

REDblooded
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM

In today's media, that's darned near calling a press conference...

Blitz Dorsey
08-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Harper knew what he was doing when he posted that BS to his Facebook wall. He was trying to put pressure on the Nats to give him more $$. I don't think he was updating his friends on his job status. LOL. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Seriously though, I REALLY hope the Nats call his/Boras' bluff. That would be too funny. Players have so much less leverage now that teams automatically get an extra first round pick if they don't sign their first rounder from the previous year. Washington has already proven once they are willing to do it. Harper would be foolish to roll the dice here. But I hope he does! Always like a good trainwreck. (Like all the Cleveland fans beeotching about LeBron.)