PDA

View Full Version : We DESERVED to lose that game

redssince75
07-31-2010, 12:20 AM
When we fail for about the 21652nd time this year in the man-on-third-less-than-two-outs situation, and then we pull an All-Star for Walky Cordero and we can all see what's coming from a mile away.....well we didn't deserve to win. We blew it.

scott91575
07-31-2010, 12:23 AM
When we fail for about the 21652nd time this year in the man-on-third-less-than-two-outs situation, and then we pull an All-Star for Walky Cordero and we can all see what's coming from a mile away.....well we didn't deserve to win. We blew it.

Dusty pulling Rhodes was baffling. He is great against RH's. Yet he has more faith in Cordero than any man on the planet.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Dusty not PHing Heisey for Bruce against a very good lefty was terrible. Especially when he double switched him in the next inning, and actually took out his best defender and leaving Gomes in when he already misplayed 1 ball. Is beyond inexcusable. I want to be outrageous and question if he was trying to lose for a bet or something.

Cordero hasn't gone more than 1 inning in any outing all year long. Tonight for some reason Dusty does it.

Continuing to play Cabrera when he really brings nothing to the game other than some "leadership" stat is bad.

Not mixing up the batting order to at least maybe get Bruce in the 2 hole so he sees something other than breaking balls low and away or low and in is getting tired. Guy is struggling but believe me it wouldnt be a sin to bat 2 lefties in a row. What could it hurt?

Not recognizing RH on RH batter splits is killing me also.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Yet Dusty's defensive switch worked out but everyone completely forgets about that because we lost. Funny.

scott91575
07-31-2010, 03:04 AM
Yet Dusty's defensive switch worked out but everyone completely forgets about that because we lost. Funny.

Not really. The same switch would have resulted the same. Bat Heisey for Bruce, and Heisey still plays RF. All you got out of that is Rhodes pitched to one batter.

Magdal
07-31-2010, 03:42 AM
I think Baker managed the game pretty bad. Somebody needs to tell him it's OK to make the obvious move.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 09:01 AM

I think I saw a ball bounce off Jonny Gomes shins in the 10th.

kfm
07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Dusty not PHing Heisey for Bruce against a very good lefty was terrible. Especially when he double switched him in the next inning, and actually took out his best defender and leaving Gomes in when he already misplayed 1 ball. Is beyond inexcusable. I want to be outrageous and question if he was trying to lose for a bet or something.

Not recognizing RH on RH batter splits is killing me also.

You mean how Heisey is hitting .163 this year against lefties and Bruce is hitting .248, yes it was obvious.

texasdave
07-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Miguel Cairo is batting .286 against lefthanders and struck out just 6 times in 47 PA.
Ryan Hanigan is batting .250 against lefthanders and struck out just 1 times in 40 PA.
Paul Janish is batting .346 against lefthanders and struck out just 3 times in 30 PA.

Jay Bruce is batting .248 against lefthanders and has struck out 34 times in 134 PA.

With a runner on third and only one out you don't even need a hit to score the run.
What you cannot afford is a strike out.

Cairo - 12.7%
Hanigan - 2.5%
Janish - 10.0%
Bruce - 25.4%

Take your pick and pinch hit for Bruce. It gives you a much better chance at grabbing the lead and then let Heisey play RF in the 9th. Of course Dusty is not going to use Hanigan because he is the backup catcher. Stupid. And forget about Janish getting the chance. Cairo has struck out at half as often against lefthanders as Bruce. Heisey wasn't the only option.

Here is just a gem of a quote from Dusty after the game straight from John Fay's blog.

Baker said he considered hitting Chris Heisey for Bruce.

“I knew I would need Heisey later,” Baker said. “We’re trying to give Jay confidence. You’re hitting one youngster for another there.”

Where to begin.
1) Dusty needs to realize he is a pennant race and stop trying to give people confidence. How many games has he given away by doing that? The Reds' need every win they can get. BTW, does a player lose confidence when he fails?
2) Dusty considered batting Heisey for Bruce. Wake up, Dusty, you have more than one choice. Baker tends to lock players into roles to the detriment of the team. Think Cordero as one and only closer for another example.
3) He knew he would need Heisey later. What? If the Reds plate that runner on third and then Cordero does his job the game is over. No need to save Heisey. The only way that quote makes any sense is a) he knows Heisey is going to fail at getting the runner home or b) he knows Cordero is going to blow the save.

With Dusty as manager this team is going to have to be five games better than Cardinals to hold them off.

Trace's Daddy
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Baker said he considered hitting Chris Heisey for Bruce.

“I knew I would need Heisey later,” Baker said. “We’re trying to give Jay confidence. You’re hitting one youngster for another there.”

Geeez is Dusty trying to win Players Coach of the Year, or a frick'n pennant?!
Heisey has earned more playing time - he better be in the starting lineup today. Bruce and Gomes need mandatory Mark Grace 'slump busters' and pine time where they'll find the motivation to improve and perform.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
You mean how Heisey is hitting .163 this year against lefties and Bruce is hitting .248, yes it was obvious.

Its been 43 PA or something for Heisey. I'm not worried about what that terrible sample size says.

Maker_84
07-31-2010, 12:40 PM
The braves r just a much better team. The Reds record against good teams has shown us there's alot of question marks and alot of positions need to be upgraded if we ever want to truly compete.

scott91575
07-31-2010, 01:02 PM
He knew he would need Heisey later. What? If the Reds plate that runner on third and then Cordero does his job the game is over. No need to save Heisey. The only way that quote makes any sense is a) he knows Heisey is going to fail at getting the runner home or b) he knows Cordero is going to blow the save.

This is the most frustrating thing about Dusty. He always manages for some future event that may never happen to the detriment of winning at the moment. He manages like every game is going to go 14 innings.

BurgervilleBuck
07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I think I saw a ball bounce off Jonny Gomes shins in the 10th.
You saw that too, huh? Gomes's fielding is looking a bit Wily Mo.

malcontent
07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Miguel Cairo is batting .286 against lefthanders and struck out just 6 times in 47 PA.
Ryan Hanigan is batting .250 against lefthanders and struck out just 1 times in 40 PA.
Paul Janish is batting .346 against lefthanders and struck out just 3 times in 30 PA.

Jay Bruce is batting .248 against lefthanders and has struck out 34 times in 134 PA.

With a runner on third and only one out you don't even need a hit to score the run.

Cairo - 12.7%
Hanigan - 2.5%
Janish - 10.0%
Bruce - 25.4%

Take your pick and pinch hit for Bruce. It gives you a much better chance at grabbing the lead and then let Heisey play RF in the 9th. Of course Dusty is not going to use Hanigan because he is the backup catcher. Stupid. And forget about Janish getting the chance. Cairo has struck out at half as often against lefthanders as Bruce. Heisey wasn't the only option.

Here is just a gem of a quote from Dusty after the game straight from John Fay's blog.

Where to begin.
1) Dusty needs to realize he is a pennant race and stop trying to give people confidence. How many games has he given away by doing that? The Reds' need every win they can get. BTW, does a player lose confidence when he fails?
2) Dusty considered batting Heisey for Bruce. Wake up, Dusty, you have more than one choice. Baker tends to lock players into roles to the detriment of the team. Think Cordero as one and only closer for another example.
3) He knew he would need Heisey later. What? If the Reds plate that runner on third and then Cordero does his job the game is over. No need to save Heisey. The only way that quote makes any sense is a) he knows Heisey is going to fail at getting the runner home or b) he knows Cordero is going to blow the save.

With Dusty as manager this team is going to have to be five games better than Cardinals to hold them off.
Most excellent analysis.

Kiko
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't think Heyward's ball was catchable. Dusty isn't concerned with Janish's confidence. Never plays em' and then pinch hits for him in the 9th. It would have been a good move to pinch hit for Bruce and or Stubbs. It would have been a good move to take Codero out after his 2nd walk. Again questionable moves by Dusty and some players not coming through when they need too.

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2010, 01:59 PM

Cairo - 12.7%
Hanigan - 2.5%
Janish - 10.0%
Bruce - 25.4%

Where to begin.

excellent post.

kfm
07-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Its been 43 PA or something for Heisey. I'm not worried about what that terrible sample size says.

So if he pinch hit Heisey and he did not get the job done, are you saying you would not have criticized him for pinch hitting a guy who hits almost 100 points lower against lefties than the guy he replaced? The correct play was to pinch hit Cairo. I think this was a mistake by Dusty. I do think it is ironic that a guy who gets trashed for disliking young players, is now being trashed for sticking with his younger players.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
So if he pinch hit Heisey and he did not get the job done, are you saying you would not have criticized him for pinch hitting a guy who hits almost 100 points lower against lefties than the guy he replaced? The correct play was to pinch hit Cairo. I think this was a mistake by Dusty. I do think it is ironic that a guy who gets trashed for disliking young players, is now being trashed for sticking with his younger players.

No I wouldnt have cared at all. I hope the Reds manager isnt stupid enough to use 43 PA against random LH pitching as a "trend". Having Bruce hit against a VERY good lefty stud is the wrong choice in that situation no matter what the result.

kfm
07-31-2010, 05:12 PM
No I wouldnt have cared at all. I hope the Reds manager isnt stupid enough to use 43 PA against random LH pitching as a "trend". Having Bruce hit against a VERY good lefty stud is the wrong choice in that situation no matter what the result.

I'll take you at your word. Can I ask, how many at bats in a season do yo think are necessary to estalish a trend. As an aside, I don't think 43 plate appearances is enough to set a trend either. I just find it interesting that Baker is pretty much criticized when he plays the numbers and when he ignores the numbers.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll take you at your word. Can I ask, how many at bats in a season do yo think are necessary to estalish a trend. As an aside, I don't think 43 plate appearances is enough to set a trend either. I just find it interesting that Baker is pretty much criticized when he plays the numbers and when he ignores the numbers.

Given how random Heiseys playing time has been it would take a little bit of consistent play or a WHOLE lot of PA against them. I just dont see him hitting that poorly against lefties. Makes me think its just happens to be the way it worked out so far. Get what I'm saying?

kfm
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Given how random Heiseys playing time has been it would take a little bit of consistent play or a WHOLE lot of PA against them. I just dont see him hitting that poorly against lefties. Makes me think its just happens to be the way it worked out so far. Get what I'm saying?

Wow, this is scary, I think we actually agree on something.