PDA

View Full Version : Cards close on Westbrook?

muddie
07-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Saw this while checking updates. If its been posted here somewhere already I apologize. This is news to me....

Source: Cardinals close to getting Westbrook 11:31 a.m.

The St. Louis Cardinals are close to landing starting pitcher Jake Westbrook in a trade with the Indians, sources said Saturday.

The teams are still trying to work out the money. Westbrook would get more than $2 million in bonuses if he is traded and still has $4 million remaining on his contract.

Westbrook is scheduled to start Saturday for Cleveland in a 1:07 ET game against Toronto.

Westbrook has been with the Indians since 2001. He is 6-7 this year with a 4.65 ERA.

Ken Rosenthal

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2010, 01:46 PM
done deal. 3 team trade. cards get westbrook, padres get ludwick, indians get prospects

muddie
07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
done deal. 3 team trade. cards get westbrook, padres get ludwick, indians get prospects

wow...

davereds24
07-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Not sure this really makes the Cards much better. I guess is Suppan was so bad it helps, but Westbrook will get lit up a decent number of times.

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
ya not too worried. westbrook isnt anything special, and they gave up a decent bat in the process

muddie
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
ya not too worried. westbrook isnt anything special, and they gave up a decent bat in the process

My "wow" was about them letting Ludwick go more than their getting Westbrook. I think this was a questionable move on the Cardinals part. Suppan hasn't been any better in St. Louis than he was in Milwaukee to be honest. I really thought Duncan could revive the guy but I guess not.

BringDownMugabe
07-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Jon Jay is the the Danny Dorn of the St. Louis Cardinals. I don't think this move will have much impact.

GIDP
07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Jon Jay is the the Danny Dorn of the St. Louis Cardinals. I don't think this move will have much impact.

Jon Jay is nothing like Danny Dorn. Hes more like Heisey than anyone else on the Reds.

Jones1
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
In my opinion this is a bad move for the Cards Im glad they are trading Ludwick he's killed the Reds! Westbrook isn't all that he's average to above average! The problem all season has been that they haven't hit and now they've traded their best bat at hitting with RISP and the third best hitter after Pujols and Holliday! Maybe now they'll have a streak of five scoreless games? it does no good of having lights out pitching when 7 of the 10 players on your team cant hit.

Wow they are idiots!

Magdal
07-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Looks like a bad deal to me. (for the Cards)

BringDownMugabe
07-31-2010, 02:52 PM
On second thought, name one bad deal the Cardinals have done? I'm sure Westbrook is going to turn into Chuck Finley once he works with Dave Duncan.

couch_manager
07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
The Cardinals made a good trade. They got a pretty decent pitcher that Dave Duncan can mold into something better. They also got rid of Ludwick, who was replaceable with Jon Jay being on the roster. Jon Jay ain't no Danny Dorn... .396 in 111 ML AB's?

GIDP
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
The Cardinals made a good trade. They got a pretty decent pitcher that Dave Duncan can mold into something better. They also got rid of Ludwick, who was replaceable with Jon Jay being on the roster. Jon Jay ain't no Danny Dorn... .396 in 111 ML AB's?

Huge amount of luck. something like 47% of the balls he hits find grass some how. Thats not goin to last unless he has a LD% of like 45

Rijo's Ghost
07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Huge amount of luck. something like 47% of the balls he hits find grass some how. Thats not goin to last unless he has a LD% of like 45

and his LD% is 16.1. He's hit .301 .367 .432 .799 in the minors. It's a lateral move, and that's only if Westbrook pitches well.

Texas Pete
07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I like Dorn, but I really like Jay. I'm not saying Jay is going to be an All-Star or anything, but I've been impressed with what I've seen from him so far.

Like I said though. I like Dorn. It could be that I just haven't watched Dorn enough...

muddie
07-31-2010, 04:16 PM
FWIW, the Cardinals have completely replaced their outfield since last years trade deadline. Ankiel, Duncan and Ludwick are now all gone.

Rijo's Ghost
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
FWIW, the Cardinals have completely replaced their outfield since last years trade deadline. Ankiel, Duncan and Ludwick are now all gone.

Rasmus

DocRed
07-31-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't get the love for Westbrook...a guy whose career WHIP is 1.4 and han't done much since 2006. Oh well we shall see. I suppose if you just need someone to eat innings as a 4th or 5th starter you could do worse, after we all we have Harang!

GIDP
07-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Westbrook is better than the Cardinals 4 and 5 starters but they also gave up a 2-3 WAR player for him. Overall unless Jon Jay continues his hot hitting its probably a downgrade of talent or at best a wash.

Revering4Blue
07-31-2010, 10:58 PM
St. Louis Cardinals. For a team that ranks in the bottom half of baseball in runs scored, the Cardinals certainly had no problems letting go of Ludwick, their fourth-best hitter. Because … rookie Jon Jay (and his .446 batting average on balls in play) is hitting well? As nice a pitcher as Jake Westbrook can be – and he suits the Cardinals and their groundball-gobbling tendencies – it’s curious that St. Louis focused on a starter when Kyle Lohse’s return is imminent and Adam Wainwright, Chris Carpenter and Jaime Garcia form the core of the Cardinals’ success. Should St. Louis maintain its lead on Cincinnati – which sat by idly at the deadline – Westbrook will be nothing more than a long man come playoff time, while the hole Ludwick leaves will remain unfilled.

Winners and Losers: Rangers improve most

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AutcqqTHuxCohGautfygCZqFCLcF?slug=jp-tradewinnerslosers073110

DocRed
07-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Westbrook is better than the Cardinals 4 and 5 starters but they also gave up a 2-3 WAR player for him. Overall unless Jon Jay continues his hot hitting its probably a downgrade of talent or at best a wash.

Ya, that's basically why I am scratching my head....Ludwick is an upgrade over an OF'er we have and yet they deal him.

Razzle
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
As a Cards fan I hate this deal. The Pads give up two guys that aren't even on their top 30 prospects list and nab an .825ish OPS corner fielder with slightly above average defense. I'm not sure why the Cards couldn't have just spun the crap prospect to the Indians straight up for Westbrook outside of not being able to afford the bump in salary. It's bad when you are in contention and you make a trade that likely makes you a worse team going forward. All of this because of a handful of at bats by a guy who will probably be a fourth outfielder type. Blech.

sabometrics
08-01-2010, 02:53 AM
I guess the Cards don't even have crap prospects anymore? :D

Really, I like this trade. Despite Duncan's supposed other-worldly ability to turn past-their-prime geezers into middle of the rotation terrors, I don't see this move improving their rotation enough to compensate for what they lose in the outfield. Sounds like they're expecting a lot out of a Rookie OF who has barely 100 AB in the majors and has benefited from an INSANE .446 BABIP. Seems like chances are very good that A) Westbrook is not a sub-5.00 ERA pitcher from here on out, or B) Jay crashes back to earth.

redssince75
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Today's SL newspaper, columnist said the GM who won in this 3-way deal was....Walt Jocketty. Because the Cards just weakened themselves against the Reds. I tend to agree.

Now that the Cards have beat the Pirates 20-2 in the last 2 days, I expect the Pirates to be all mad and play better against us.