PDA

View Full Version : if walt doesn't do something..

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 04:39 PM
before this deadline passes then, we will have succeeded in letting the cardinals beat us at our own game, I realize westbrook isnt much but still they went and improved themselves and how does he expect us to win within our system when our top hitters are striking out and doing nothing at the plate? please tell me...

knoonan991
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Walt is a very respected GM because he knows what he's doing. There doesn't appear to be much on the market that would be a solid upgrade over what we currently have. It's pretty simple actually.

It's not like Walt can hold GM's hostage to get whatever players he wants. The market isn't very good, sellers are asking too much for talent that isn't worth it. Making a trade just to make one would be a poor choice considering the continual rise of value of prospects in the Reds minor league system. Why sell an Alonso short this year, when alone next year he could bring in a Cy Young winner? Of course that's depending on if he plays to his ability.

If the Reds stand pat, I will be perfectly happy knowing the boost the pen will get at the expansion in September.

muddie
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
T-minus 13 minutes and counting....

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm just tired of waiting and waiting. I want a winner and yes we have done good this year but if we want to beat the cardinals we have to outsmart them and try to at leastdo something. izzy and springer won't get it done.

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 04:51 PM
typical reds front office...and they wonder why the fans don't give support
because they do not show that they want to go the extra mile to win, we are in a dang playoff race and we need to improve this club and they sit back and do nothing.

arkimadee
plz... the cardinals have gotten worse in my opinion because they got rid of ludwick

GIDP
Jeremy Hermida was DFA'd by the Redsox. He would be an upgrade over Gomes. He wouldnt be a huge upgrade but still its an upgrade.

Girevik
07-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I'll be dissapointed if there is no deal, but I'm also willing to admit the reality that there just isn't that much out there that's a huge upgrade for this team. With Lee off the market, there's not big bat like Holliday or Texeria to be had this year. Dunn is the closest, and they evidently want the world for him.

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 04:54 PM
well another season down the drain without walt improving this ballclub, I am extremely disappointed, and if the giants improve and cardinals improve we will be watching the playoffs from our house. disappointed in you walt jocketty.

arkimadee
07-31-2010, 04:56 PM
keep in mind that we will be hearing announced deals until about 4:30 so i'm not giving up yet

Magdal
07-31-2010, 04:57 PM
plz... the cardinals have gotten worse in my opinion because they got rid of ludwickThey were in a bind. What were they going to do with the .400 hitting Jon Jay who has carried the team for 2 weeks? Rasmus has been crummy but they are commited to him in Center for the next 10 years.

Still, they gave up a lot more than they recieved.

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2010, 04:58 PM
heres my fear, clearly we're in a special year, with some guys like gomes/cairo and others having career years. we dont make a move and stand pat, yea...we might win the central, or finish a couple games out, miss the WC. who knows how next year goes. yea we'll expect votto to be votto, maybe not what hes doing now, but decent. we hope bruce/stubbs get better, and hope the pitching continues to grow. but what about cabrera, hes only getting older, rolen as well. gomes and cairo prob dont do what they have this year.

then we'll be right back to, well last year was a fluke. thats why the FO needs to show the fans something.

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 04:58 PM
EXACTLY FYLER!!!! the front office is showing me nothing...

arkimadee
07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Dodgers just acquired Octavio Dotel for two minor leaguers -- Lamb and McDonald

knoonan991
07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
well another season down the drain without walt improving this ballclub, I am extremely disappointed, and if the giants improve and cardinals improve we will be watching the playoffs from our house. disappointed in you walt jocketty.

Down the drain?! If I recall we're a .5 game out of 1st at the end of July. Not exactly what I'd call a season down the drain.

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Down the drain?! If I recall we're a .5 game out of 1st at the end of July. Not exactly what I'd call a season down the drain.

dude..you have to improve this team. stubbs and bruce are pathetic right now, cordero has lost it. you gotta find somebody who's going to come in and improve this club and walt did not do that.

bornready
07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
dude..you have to improve this team. stubbs and bruce are pathetic right now, cordero has lost it. you gotta find somebody who's going to come in and improve this club and walt did not do that.

who was available that could have improved the team?

bornready
07-31-2010, 05:11 PM

thank you for being reasonable :beerme:

rolenmvp
07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
lots of players, I'm just fed up of losing and acting like our front office don't care. we are wanting winners here and standing pat and doing nothing while other teams improved themselves stink man, really does.

bornready
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
the way i see it is that they couldn't make a trade that they felt would help the team more than it would hurt. that seems like a front office that cares about winning to me. jocketty has proven he knows what he's doing

kfm
07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
the way i see it is that they couldn't make a trade that they felt would help the team more than it would hurt. that seems like a front office that cares about winning to me. jocketty has proven he knows what he's doing

Exactly. A trade for the sake of making a trade is not the way to go. Sounds like Walt has been very busy exploring options and ways to make the team better. Obviously he either thought there was nothing out there that was going to make the team better or the price to improve the team for this year was just to high. A good front office quite frankly does not make a move just to make one or to convince their fan base that they care about winning. Walt has shown a willingness to make trades to improve the reds and the cardinals. While it might be incredibly difficult for some of you to imagine this as a possibility, perhaps Walt knows a little more than you do about baseball.

sivman17
07-31-2010, 05:34 PM
who was available that could have improved the team?

Anyone is available. You just have to make the right offer. Especially for teams that are in the cellar.

Rijo's Ghost
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Why is Walt so loved? He's made 2 good trades in 8 years, and they were both for Scott Rolen.

He was at one point a great GM, but those were the days when full on salary dumps were commonplace and before there was free agent compensation.

Crumbley
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Losers lose, sad fact of life.

kfm
07-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Losers lose, sad fact of life.

Could you expand on this? Are you calling Walt a loser? I have no idea who or what you are talking about.

Crumbley
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Could you expand on this? Are you calling Walt a loser? I have no idea who or what you are talking about.
Reds are a losing organization, it's been 15 years since they've made the playoffs and a decade since they've been relevant. Losers lose, it's what they do.

kfm
07-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Reds are a losing organization, it's been 15 years since they've made the playoffs and a decade since they've been relevant. Losers lose, it's what they do.

Until they stop.

Reds
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
if they stop

kfm
07-31-2010, 07:41 PM
if they stop

CLearly, once you stop there is no if about it.

Hondo
08-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Well we should have gotton Lee from Seattle. That was the ONE no brainer Pitcher out there, and we were so close... They just sent Smoak down to AAA...

Wonder if they wished they would have went with Yonder Alonso.

08-01-2010, 05:09 AM
After Lee, Haren and Oswalt were gone, there really wasn't much available. Of the players traded after them, none of them really are better than what the Red could pick up much cheaper after the trade deadline off of waivers.

I have a feeling that the Reds will pick up some guys to fill in some holes after the deadline. Nothing big, but the Reds really don't need anything big, just a few small upgrades.

Kingspoint
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Yet, we win another series.

4-0-1.

Rijo's Ghost
08-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Well we should have gotton Lee from Seattle. That was the ONE no brainer Pitcher out there, and we were so close... They just sent Smoak down to AAA...

Wonder if they wished they would have went with Yonder Alonso.

Highly doubt it. Alonso is a prospect only because he was a high draft pick. He hasn't done anything to suggest he will be any good as a first baseman.

Smoak had a good walk rate and good line drive percentage but a brutal BABIP. He'll be fine.

RedsFanInBama
08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
As far as I can tell, nobody has signed Gary Matthews Jr. We could still nab him.

Walt would be "making a move" by doing this. So are those wanting a move on board?

Hondo
08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
As far as I can tell, nobody has signed Gary Matthews Jr. We could still nab him.

Walt would be "making a move" by doing this. So are those wanting a move on board?

Let me speak very clearly, or type.

"N" "O"

Enough said.

knoonan991
08-01-2010, 11:46 PM

:thumbup:

Spot on. If Walt made a move, a lot of people would complain about the whole "Dusty and his veterans" spiel.

I don't know how to say it any more clearly than Walt saw nothing available that was worth what we would have had to give up. Adding someone like Tejada or Farnsworth isn't really doing much over what we have IMO.

PhillipsHead
08-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Jeremy Hermida was DFA'd by the Redsox. He would be an upgrade over Gomes. He wouldnt be a huge upgrade but still its an upgrade.

WOW!

Jeremy Hermida: .203/.257/.348, 5 HR, 27 RBI

Jonny Gomes: .269/.322/.452, 13 HR, 65 RBI

Awesome post...

RedsFanInBama
08-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Getting DFA'd as a Red Sox outfielder in 2010 certainly isn't anything to be proud of.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
WOW!

Jeremy Hermida: .203/.257/.348, 5 HR, 27 RBI

Jonny Gomes: .269/.322/.452, 13 HR, 65 RBI

Awesome post...

1 season doesnt make a player guy.

markymark69
08-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Unless you're Orlando Cabrera:D

kfm
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM

I generally agree with your statement, but if you are trying to make a decision to improve your team this year, how do you simply ignore what a guy is doing this year. We all know that players have baselines but they also have outliers either good or bad and they also have the year they finally hit the wall and their production starts to decline (look at Orlando Cabrerra who over the course of his career has been a much better player than any other shortstop in the Reds organization but appears to be in rapid decline).

GIDP
08-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I generally agree with your statement, but if you are trying to make a decision to improve your team this year, how do you simply ignore what a guy is doing this year. We all know that players have baselines but they also have outliers either good or bad and they also have the year they finally hit the wall and their production starts to decline (look at Orlando Cabrerra who over the course of his career has been a much better player than any other shortstop in the Reds organization but appears to be in rapid decline).

Hermida has been injured, and Gomes has been a .700 OPS bat 3 out of 4 months this year. I dont think its far fetched that if Hermida is healthy hes going to be an upgrade over Gomes. Plus its not like I'm looking at Hermida as a 36 year old. Hes 26 and has a career .750-.800 OPS bat for his career. He is a better defender as well. He would probably be an upgrade. He wouldnt be a huge one but he would most likely be a more productive player.

knoonan991
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Unless you're Orlando Cabrera:D

:jump:

I about died laughing when I read that, well played.