PDA

View Full Version : So who were we pursuing that did not get traded?

JaxRed
07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Fay reports that Jocketty said:

“There were a couple deals yesterday that fell apart at the end. The players were pursuing were not traded.”

So who didn't get traded that we might have been after. Dunn comes to mind but I don't think Reds would have been after him.

mth123
07-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Downs? Frasor?

JaxRed
07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Downs.... good answer forgot about that one.

edabbs44
07-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Wiggington and the Toronto duo are my guesses.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not buying that you got this from Fay unless several words were misspelled.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh, never mind, there is at least a mistake in there. It must be from Fay after all! There should be a "the Reds" before "were pursuing." OK, it's no doubt an authentic Fay piece now!

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing either Scott Downs or Brandon League/David Aardsma.

reds44
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Outside of closer (which sadly, isn't going to change), I really don't think the Reds needed bullpen help.

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
The fact that some of our "top" minor league prospects like Alonso and Frazier are having bad years didn't help the cause. No team wanted anything to do with Yonder Alonso.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm guessing no one, but Walt found this an opportune time to "spin it" so he could again manipulate the masses. The guy is the best spin doctor I have ever seen. Look at what was dealt out there and tell me we couldn't have improved somewhere for guys who may not even be protected on the 40 man in the offseason. Money is the bottom line and Walt is good at hiding that fact. Extremely shrewd signing Bob!

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Why would no one want anything to do with Yonder. This guys is hitting real good in AAA....there should be no reason a team would not want to try him, especially for some middle relievers or bench/spot starters...types.

HokieRed
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Greinke?

Homer Bailey
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
The fact that some of our "top" minor league prospects like Alonso and Frazier are having bad years didn't help the cause. No team wanted anything to do with Yonder Alonso.

Which GM did you speak to that said this?

OPS over 1.000 for the month of July. The wrist injury has finally fully recovered, which is the typical time frame for that type of injury.

NJReds
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd guess Aardesma.

Caveat Emperor
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM

I doubt that's true -- if anything, I imagine there were teams asking after guys like Alonso & Frazier thinking they could buy low.

Slyder
07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Corey Hart get traded?

HokieRed
07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
I find it hard to believe there isn't a GM in MLB who wouldn't like to have Yonder Alonso. Anybody who can identify hitters would like to have Yonder Alonso.

OesterPoster
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Kelly Johnson?
Bautista?
Luke Scott?

Blitz Dorsey
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
We have nowhere for Alonso to play (because we have the stud that is Votto) and I am supposed to believe teams wanted him and offered something good but we didn't trade him? Just find that extremely hard to believe. Of course a team would take Yonder for barely nothing. But they wouldn't trade anything of value for him (obviously ... or the Reds wouldn't have stood pat at the trading deadline and held on to a player that is never going to be able to help the big club because he's blocked by Votto). The truth is that Alonso's poor performance this season (blame it on the injury last year) is the reason his trade value is so low.

KronoRed
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Greinke?

I never saw any talk other then here that KC was even thinking of dealing him.

Brutus
07-31-2010, 10:47 PM
I never saw any talk other then here that KC was even thinking of dealing him.

It was reported by the NY Post and CBS. They said they would listen to offers for anyone.

Homer Bailey
07-31-2010, 10:57 PM
We have nowhere for Alonso to play (because we have the stud that is Votto) and I am supposed to believe teams wanted him and offered something good but we didn't trade him? Just find that extremely hard to believe. Of course a team would take Yonder for barely nothing. But they wouldn't trade anything of value for him (obviously ... or the Reds wouldn't have stood pat at the trading deadline and held on to a player that is never going to be able to help the big club because he's blocked by Votto). The truth is that Alonso's poor performance this season (blame it on the injury last year) is the reason his trade value is so low.

You can assume whatever you want, but that doesn't make it anywhere close to true or accurate.

KronoRed
08-01-2010, 12:24 AM
It was reported by the NY Post and CBS. They said they would listen to offers for anyone.
True, a bunch of "sources" though, my guess is he's available for half of other teams farm systems :D

Not likely he is someone the Reds just missed out on.

RBA
08-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Adam Dunn?

Blitz Dorsey
08-01-2010, 12:32 AM
You can assume whatever you want, but that doesn't make it anywhere close to true or accurate.

Well, the Mariners seem to understand the situation better than yourself. They didn't want Alonso -- they wanted a player who played the same position, same age, drafted AFTER Alonso in the same draft. But let's keep pretending like Yonder is a big-time prospect with value on the trading market. He's a mediocre AAA player who happened to be a top-10 draft pick. Nothing more. Otherwise, I'm sure Jocketty would have flipped him for someone who can actually help the Reds this year (or ever). The only chance Alonso has of ever helping the Reds is as a pinch-hitter or (God forbid) if Votto ever gets hurt. Alonso is more "bust" than "prospect" at this point. Some Reds fans would disagree with that. MLB GM's wouldn't.

Captain Hook
08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Adam Dunn?

He was just placed on waivers today so you never know.

Chip R
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Corey Hart get traded?

Actually, he was re-signed to a 3 year extention by MIL.

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

He'll be claimed by somebody in the NL either for trading rights, to block somebody else, or both. There's absolute no chance the Nats simply let him go, so there's no risk in claiming him.

Captain Hook
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
He'll be claimed by somebody in the NL either for trading rights, to block somebody else, or both. There's absolute no chance the Nats simply let him go, so there's no risk in claiming him.

No doubt.I just wonder if Walt would consider Dunn with Gomes struggling so bad at the plate.

Phillips
Cabrera
Votto
Rolen
Dunn
Bruce
Heisey
Hanigan

That could be pretty nasty.

Roy Tucker
08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I believe this board would melt down if the Reds traded for Dunn.

KronoRed
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I believe this board would melt down if the Reds traded for Dunn.

It would be spectacular, just think of Marty's reaction :D

Also he's pretty good.

puca
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Today? Thats a shame.

Can't block the Cardinals claim if he went on today.