PDA

View Full Version : August Trade Speculation

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Those of you who don't know; July isn't the last month for dealing. Just that this month things are a little trickier. First the player has got to pass through waivers. If the player gets claimed; the claiming team must work out a deal with that players team. The team can either work a trade with the claiming team or pull their player back. If their player passes through waivers then they are free to be dealt to any team with no restrictions. Let's post our rumors and thoughts and have a productive August!

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Teams can still deal after the July 31st trade deadline passes. This MLBTR Glossary entry explains how trading in August works:

Teams have to pass players through revocable waivers to trade them after the July 31st deadline.
Players acquired after August 31st can't play in the postseason.
Teams will often put most of their players on waivers to determine interest, since they don't have to give up every player who's claimed.
Unclaimed players can be traded to any club in August.
Claimed players can be kept, traded or handed over to the claiming team (who would then pay the player's salary).
If only one team claims a player, he can only be dealt to that team.
If more than one team claims a player, he can only be traded to the team in his league with the worst record.
If a player's only claimed by teams in the other league, he can only be dealt to the team with the worst record.
Adam Dunn is one big-name player who has been dealt in August.

RedsMan3203
08-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Manny Ramirez to replace Gomes in LF :)

mth123
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM

I'm in, but first they need to put Harang on Waivers and not pull him back if he's claimed to make room in the budget.

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm on the fence on this. His health is a concern and the fact that the Dodgers most likely wont be forking over a lot of money in the deal based on reports at the deadline.

TheNext44
08-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds made a trade in August that helped the team more than any trade they could have made in July.

And while I would love for it to be Manny, I doubt the Dodgers give up before Sept.

BtW, considering he was caught with using a fertility drug, shouldn't he be now be called WoManny? ;)

Reds Fanatic
08-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Here is a list of some players expected to possibly clear waivers from ESPN:

Among those hitters that could slip through waivers include Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee, Seattle Mariners first baseman Russell Branyan, Arizona's Adam LaRoche, Manny Ramirez of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Milwaukee's Jim Edmonds.

Other hitters not traded by Saturday's deadline including Toronto's Jose Bautista would not likely clear waivers due to reasonable salaries and club control advantages. Washington's Josh Willingham and Florida's Cody Ross likely fall in the same category.

Nationals infielder Adam Kennedy and Baltimore's Luke Scott also could find a way through, but Scott, and perhaps even Branyan and LaRoche, could get scooped up as they aren't owed tons of money.

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Offense: I'd look at Vernon Wells, Josh Willingham, Cody Ross, & Bobby Abreu
Relief: Scott Downs
Rotation: Aaron Cook & Ervin Santana

Cash would have to come to the Reds in deals for Wells and Cook.

Players that the Reds can and should dangle are: Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, Chris Valakia, Matt Klinker, Matt Maloney, & Enerio Del Rosario

Deal I make:

Vernon Wells, Scott Downs, and Cash to the Reds for Matt Klinker, Yonder Alonso, Carlos Fisher, and Dave Sappelt to Toronto

pahster
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Players that the Reds can and should dangle are: Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, Chris Valakia, Matt Klinker, Matt Maloney, & Enerio Del Rosario

Deal I make:

Vernon Wells, Scott Downs, and Cash to the Reds for Matt Klinker, Yonder Alonso, Carlos Fisher, and Dave Sappelt to Toronto

I'm pretty sure Vernon Wells is getting paid eleventy billion dollars over the next three or four years.

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Vernon Wells is getting paid eleventy billion dollars over the next three or four years.

Yep.. Something like 70+ million over 3 more years. That's why cash would have to be involved.

mth123
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Deal I make:

I like the idea of Aaron Cook. He'll be better next year and would give the team the innings vet to replace Arroyo in 2011. The team could save four or five million bucks off the 2011 budget by making that switch w/o having to go with all kids. The money will come in handy in addressing the OF, SS or C spots. I like Arroyo, but the team is up against the budget crunch and Cook could be a cheaper alternative who would not be a huge drop in production, would fit the park and is a local kid to boot.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
In case anyone didn't know, a player must be on the roster by August 31st in order to qualify for the post-season roster.

GADawg
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM

sorry but Redszone has decided that left field defense is surely the key to a championship season

pahster
08-01-2010, 01:13 PM
sorry but Redszone has decided that left field defense is surely the key to a championship season

You can roll around out there in a wheel chair if you put up an OPS+ above 150.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Why would the Dodgers trade away Mannywood when they're in the thick of the playoff race? It makes no sense. Would they call up Trayvvon Anderson and move over Matt Kemp? That's an awful lot of faith for a guy who has a career OPS of .764 in the minors.

Marc D
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Why would the Dodgers trade away Mannywood when they're in the thick of the playoff race? It makes no sense. Would they call up Trayvvon Anderson and move over Matt Kemp? That's an awful lot of faith for a guy who has a career OPS of .764 in the minors.

They are 7 games out in the West and 5.5 back of the WC with 4 teams in front of them. They could easily become sellers soon.

Mario-Rijo
08-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Scott Podsednik, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier seems like the alignment they might now want. Perhaps they would Send him thru waivers with the idea that someone might dangle an expensive arm as well and they could make a match. Harang for Manny would be interesting, neither of them are what they once were and maybe both fit the other team better in this case, Harang in a big park and Manny in a small one.

RedsMan3203
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I tell you what... If Manny makes it to Cincinnati, I'll be there... I'll be at the rest of the games this season that I can make (Weekends).

I mean,, Manny's D is a wash compared to Gomes - but just the thought of Manny joining forces of Votto, Rolen in the 3-5 holes...

Now batting, Playing Left field, For the Cincinnati Reds, Manny Ramirez...

<And the place would go nuts>

reds44
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
It's become more and more obvious that the Reds biggest need is OF. Keep in mind that the player doesn't necessarily have to clear waivers, but just get to the Reds. For example when the Nationals try to pass Willingham thru waivers, all NL teams get a shot at him first. If Willingham clears however many teams have a worse record in the NL than the Reds, then the Reds can claim him and try to work out a deal.

You probably wouldn't do that with a guy like Manny though because the Dodgers could just say here take him and stick you with his cotract (see Alex Rios last season). I think Manny will clear waivers, though.

Also, the Reds can only trade away guys not on their 40 man roster, otherwise they'd have to clear waivers.

Tom Servo
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
The Red Sox are apparently going to dump Mike Lowell, a guy I've always really liked. Granted he wouldn't be an everyday player here as his two positions, 1B and 3B, are already occupied but I'd love to see him accept a back-up role/pinch hitter role.

blumj
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The Red Sox are apparently going to dump Mike Lowell, a guy I've always really liked. Granted he wouldn't be an everyday player here as his two positions, 1B and 3B, are already occupied but I'd love to see him accept a back-up role/pinch hitter role.

He's in pretty bad shape, I don't know that they'd want to use a 25 man spot on someone so limited until after rosters expand in September. But, if they can afford to carry him as not much more than a pinch hitter, I'd love for the Reds to be the team that winds up with him.

Scrap Irony
08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I'd go after Manny for sure, as LA looks to be making a last ditch effort to compete this week. (San Diego did Cincinnati no favors by losing a couple in a row.) They've now got Podsdenik and Xavier Paul along with Ethier and Kemp. Kemp's D is so bad in center that it's cost the Dodgers a few games.

If I'm Cincinnati, I'd look for Harang to clear almost certainly. He'd be part of a package sent the other way. I'd also dangle a high ceiling, low A arm like JC Sulburan. He has some cache the Bums could get behind.

RedsMan3203
08-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Selling out games = more money = better chance of adding someone like ManRam.

REDREAD
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
He's in pretty bad shape, I don't know that they'd want to use a 25 man spot on someone so limited until after rosters expand in September. But, if they can afford to carry him as not much more than a pinch hitter, I'd love for the Reds to be the team that winds up with him.

What happened to Lowell.. I saw him playing an AAA rehab game. He's was doing pretty good overall, hitting over 400, but looked bad on the game I saw him (small sample size, naturally). He was DHing.. Also, he is very slow now. Maybe he's always been a slow runner, but seeing him play with all those kids made it pretty striking.

blumj
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
What happened to Lowell.. I saw him playing an AAA rehab game. He's was doing pretty good overall, hitting over 400, but looked bad on the game I saw him (small sample size, naturally). He was DHing.. Also, he is very slow now. Maybe he's always been a slow runner, but seeing him play with all those kids made it pretty striking.
No, it's not just in comparison to the kids, that hip isn't right, and he's going to need more surgery just to live normally after he retires.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
From Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

#Reds GM Walt Jocketty said today that team will keep looking as Aug. 31 waiver deadline approaches. Also said: 'Nothing is imminent.'

http://twitter.com/TomGroeschen

Gallen5862
08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Tigers Acquire Brandon Jones
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 2 at 6:40pm CST]
The Tigers acquired Brandon Jones from the Pirates for a player to be named later, according to MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch (Twitter link). Detroit assigned the minor league veteran to AA Erie, so he won't be an immediate addition to the Tigers' injury-depleted lineup.

Back in January, the Pirates claimed Jones from Atlanta, where he spent parts of three seasons. Jones picked up 166 plate appearances with the Braves, hitting one homer and posting a .257/.313/.365 line. In seven minor league seasons, the 26-year-old has shown more power and patience, as his .276/.353/.435 line shows. Jones has spent most of his time in left field, though he can also play right.

Braves Request Outright Waivers For Chris Resop
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 2 at 5:19pm CST]
The Braves requested outright waivers for Chris Resop, according to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Outright waivers are not revocable, so the Braves won't be able to pull Resop back if a rival team claims him. If Resop clears waivers, the Braves will open up a 40-man roster spot and Resop will choose between a Triple A assignment or free agency. He is out of options, so the Braves can't send him to the minors without exposing him to other teams.

The Braves called Resop up on June 15th, partly because he had a clause in his contract that would have forced the club to make him available to its rivals if he wasn't in the majors by that date. He missed time with an oblique injury and only pitched two innings for Atlanta. Resop allowed five earned runs and walked three of the 14 batters he faced.

His MLB numbers are disappointing, especially considering how well he pitched in the minors this season. Resop posted a 1.84 ERA in 73.1 innings with 9.9 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 before getting the call to the majors.

Gallen5862
08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Would Chris Resop be worth a waiver claim? If nothing else claim him and put him on the Dl if he is still hurting.

Gallen5862
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

OnBaseMachine
08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Paul Daugherty thinks the Reds should go after Manny Ramirez.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/08/03/the-morning-line-83/?GID=pGvg+7DwVyR4eTjavdFhDqkEvj2yfespR7wWQ2ay6gA%3 D

I actually agree with Paul on this. If Manny becomes available, why not claim him? Even at 38 years old, he's still a difference maker with the bat. In 186 atbats this season, Manny is hitting .317/.409/.516 - .925 OPS in the tough NL West. He's not any worse than Gomes with the glove and his bat would be a huge upgrade over Gomes.

Daugherty also mentions Jose Guillen and Jim Edmonds as possibilities. No thanks on Guillen but Edmonds wouldn't be a bad idea, even though I've never been a fan of him.

Mario-Rijo
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
From the above MLBTR link, down the page a smidge. Depending on the Sox-Tigers series outcome Detroit could be sellers they speculate.

Damon should draw interest if he's made available. He sports a .281/.373/.432 line, and he raked in July. He's been battling back spasms, but is in today's lineup. About $2.7MM remains on his $8MM contract, and he has no-trade protection.

camisadelgolf
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't mind going after Ramirez. Just imagine this lineup:
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
1B Votto
LF Ramirez
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs/Heisey
SS Cabrera/Janish
C Hernandez/Hanigan

(I decided to Dustify it by switching the batting positions of Stubbs and Phillips since you know that's how Dusty would do it.)

fearofpopvol1
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Ramirez would be huge...but I wonder if another team would claim him before he got to the Reds? Damon would be a cheap and suitable upgrade as well.

Dunn is also going to be put on waivers. Would the Reds dare (assuming they can come to terms)?

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I would love to add Johny Damon. I want no part of Manny's defense, attitude, and injury history. Damon would slot in wonderfully at leadoff or 2nd, pushing SS down to the bottom of the lineup where it belongs.

That said, I doubt Damon gets through waivers to us; I think the White and Red Sox would both put claims in on him.

NJReds
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I wanted Damon before the season. He's a great top-of-the-lineup guy.

OesterPoster
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I thought of mentioning Damon the other day too, but like Rick mentioned...I just don't see any possible way he'd make it through all the AL teams.

medford
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
If what was posted yesterday is correct, Manny would has to pass thru all the NL teams in reverse order of record, then the AL to 'clear' waivers, however, if the Reds are willing to pay the rest of his salary and take the risk on putting a claim in, how many NL teams would be willing to do the same w/ a worse record than the Reds? Colorado & Arizona, doubtful, the Cubs, Pirates, Brew Crew & Astros doubtful, the Marlins & Nationals? doubtful.

That leaves the Padres & Giants w/ better records, the Cards w/ a worse record at the moment (and hopefuly end of season as well), and the Mets, Braves & Phils in the East. Unless the Mets think they can make a miracle run, I don't see them taking on additional salary, I doubt the Phils have room/interest, and the same story w/ the Braves. So really it comes down to the Cards & Reds as two potential suitors. Unless the Cards think Holliday can move to right field, they would pass (unless they were trying to block the Reds), so I think there's a decent chance the Reds could get him in waivers, if they were willing to take the risk that LA would let him go w/o compensation and the Reds would have to take on the rest of his salary.

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I think you're right Medford, that the Reds could probably win the claim on him. However, I'm not sure that the Dodgers are inclined to let him go. The Sox offered a prospect and cash and got turned down. Just letting him go would mean less value than they could have had. Unless their place in the standings really is the primary driver of the decision and it changes significantly, I don't see him leaving LA.

medford
08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Part of the speculation was that the McCourt divorce proceeding might lead to the Dodgers attempting to shed any salary quickly w/ Manny being the main force. I'm sure Manny will be placed on waivers, though I'd suspect he'd be claimed by someone, an AL team that could use him at DH at worst. If the Dodgers pull him back in that situation I don't know about.

11larkin11
08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I love the idea of ManRam, but do we really have the money for that?

nemesis
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I love the idea of ManRam, but do we really have the money for that?

If this team acquired Manny you could count on every home game being boosted in attendance. Almost a lock for 30K plus evey weekend game. That itself could justify the payroll.

medford
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
If this team acquired Manny you could count on every home game being boosted in attendance. Almost a lock for 30K plus evey weekend game. That itself could justify the payroll.

I really hope, that assuming they remain in strong contention the rest of the season, that there are 30k+ there for every weekend game and most weekday games the rest of the season.

RedsManRick
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM

5000 extra fans * 30 games * $20/ticket = $3,000,000.

I don't know what the exact numbers are, but that's a lot of extra fans that would need to come. The bigger money gain is probably the extra gates and media you get from making the playoffs.

Big Klu
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Part of the speculation was that the McCourt divorce proceeding might lead to the Dodgers attempting to shed any salary quickly w/ Manny being the main force. I'm sure Manny will be placed on waivers, though I'd suspect he'd be claimed by someone, an AL team that could use him at DH at worst. If the Dodgers pull him back in that situation I don't know about.

The Reds' claim would have priority over that of any AL club.

RedLegSuperStar
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
LA did remove the "Mannywood" sign in LF this week.. Today I think. They say it's marketing.. Could be more..

buckeyenut
08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
If Castenelli wants to really solidify his position with the common fans, taking on Manny's contract would sure as heck do that. He makes 18M so it is likely at least 8M due. As mentioned, you get the extra 3M from attendance and you probably increase your playoff odds by 20%. More importantly, I actually think that a) it would make us much more scary in the playoffs and b) it would have a significant bump in season tickets / revenue for next year as a result of added excitement/momentum.

That said, I think I'd be down with Damon as well. I think he is enough of a brand name that the clubhouse could live with him replacing Gomes and he is perfect to go to the top of the lineup with phillips. I love that OBP.

If you could use Alonso to get LA to pay 4-5M in the deal, all the better.

Falls City Beer
08-03-2010, 10:15 PM
The Reds now have three reasonably reliable starters, one kid who is at the end of his rope, and one trainwreck who can't find the strike zone.

I'm only partially kidding when I say: should they try bullpen/long man tag team starts?

Unfortunately I think they'll just pretend like Bailey's an answer.

Falls City Beer
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
So if the Cubs put Dempster on waivers, I doubt anyone puts in a claim before the Reds.

edabbs44
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
The Reds now have three reasonably reliable starters, one kid who is at the end of his rope, and one trainwreck who can't find the strike zone.

I'm only partially kidding when I say: should they try bullpen/long man tag team starts?

Unfortunately I think they'll just pretend like Bailey's an answer.

Sounds like the Cards.

Falls City Beer
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the Cards.

Except the Cards don't have to travel out west for 16 games.

edabbs44
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM

If Cincy is able to get a split on those 20 games vs the West, do you think they have a solid chance at the playoffs?

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Through ESPNInsider, Olney thinks that if the White Sox don't put a claim on Manny, he'll make it through waivers and be available to any team.

Given that the Reds could make a claim before the White Sox could, would they dare? Manny's defense is bad, but is it really worse than Gomes? There's no denying Manny's bad would look awesome in Cincinnati. Honestly, I don't think the Dodgers are expecting much in trade value either, they just want the salary relief.

Tom Servo
08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
As annoyed as I am/was for his St. Louis days, Edmonds would be a great addition that wouldn't cost too much given our outfielders struggles.

Slyder
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM

I don't know what the exact numbers are, but that's a lot of extra fans that would need to come. The bigger money gain is probably the extra gates and media you get from making the playoffs.

Also think if we drew 5000 extra fans for each of those 30 games the concessions and sales revenue. *Note Im pulling this numbers out of guesstimation*.

5000*30 games*$40 other sales (parking, Reds HOF, concessions, tshirts and stuff)= $6,000,000

Not to mention all the free publicity from ESPN saying "WTF we thought only NY, LA, and Boston could pull this off".

medford
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Its too bad the NL won the all star game, otherwise the Reds could have Manny for 4 games as a DH, rather than just the 3 they'll get :D

RedLegSuperStar
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Doc mentioned this.. I still think Manny would pay for himself in revenue alone. Thing is he has to be on the field. Three trips to the DL and a recent setback. Not to mention he can't be placed on waivers injured. I don't know...

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Ramon Hernendez and low level prospects for Manny? Dodgers need catching help.

Slyder
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Ramon Hernendez and low level prospects for Manny? Dodgers need catching help.

The only issue I have with Ramon trade is that it leaves us with who to backup Hanigan the rest of the year? Corky Miller, if something happens we've got zilch behind them. Unless you think Votto can handle the catching duty for the rest of the year. If Mes was ripping it up in AAA that would change things for me.

Brutus
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

A first round series alone in the playoffs is worth nearly $10 million.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 03:21 PM
The only issue I have with Ramon trade is that it leaves us with who to backup Hanigan the rest of the year? Corky Miller, if something happens we've got zilch behind them. Unless you think Votto can handle the catching duty for the rest of the year. If Mes was ripping it up in AAA that would change things for me.

They'll go with three catchers in September any way.. I think Miller did fine this season in the fill in roll. His offense isn't why the Reds brought him back. He calls a real good game. I would be fine with Hanigan, Miller, & Mesoraco this September with the offense of one Manny Ramirez.

Kc61
08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
They'll go with three catchers in September any way.. I think Miller did fine this season in the fill in roll. His offense isn't why the Reds brought him back. He calls a real good game. I would be fine with Hanigan, Miller, & Mesoraco this September with the offense of one Manny Ramirez.

No way are the Reds trading their starting catcher during a pennant stretch drive.

One injury to Hanigan and you're competing for the playoffs with Miller and a minor leaguer.

Not happening.

Tom Servo
08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
As annoyed as I am/was for his St. Louis days, Edmonds would be a great addition that wouldn't cost too much given our outfielders struggles.
Who has two thumbs and can predict the obvious? THIS GUY.

Brutus
08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Who has two thumbs and can predict the obvious? THIS GUY.

I think you went back and edited your post ;)

SirFelixCat
08-19-2010, 10:53 PM

I do wonder where ole FCB has been. I swear this guys just not happy unless he has the Reds to bag on. Can't say I miss him in the least.:beerme:

edabbs44
08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I do wonder where ole FCB has been. I swear this guys just not happy unless he has the Reds to bag on. Can't say I miss him in the least.:beerme:

He made it longer than some of the others so I do give him credit in that regard.

11larkin11
08-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Usually I think it would be because a guy like him doesn't want to eat crow (or give up his first born). But he didn't show up after the Cards series, which I assumed he would have, so I think its a real life thing. Either way I can't read his posts anyhow, so let me know when he's back ;)

paulrichjr
08-20-2010, 12:20 AM

See Peanut Gallery for more information

reds44
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Link?

Scrap Irony
08-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Wow. That's hard to believe. He's been a touchstone poster for a decade here and, I always thought, a valued poster. I would have loved to see how he would have backtracked after this latest Red winning streak, especially coupled with the Cardinal struggles of late.

BRM
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I know his opinions weren't the most popular but I enjoyed reading his posts. The guy certainly stuck to his guns and I respect that.

Boss-Hog
08-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Let's get this topic back on track instead of discussing posters who are no longer here - whether that be voluntarily or involuntarily.

BRM
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Anyone think Walt will add a pitcher this month? I think he's done but he's surprised me before.

westofyou
08-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Anyone think Walt will add a pitcher this month? I think he's done but he's surprised me before.

Cuban LH is my bet as the added hurler.

BRM
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Cuban LH is my bet as the added hurler.

Yep. I don't think Walt will bring in anyone from outside the org. Bullpen help will arrive from Louisville.

membengal
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
For better or worse, as woy points out, it's probably just Chapman if anyone. I don't think anyone else from outside the organization is coming in.

And I am okay with that.

The Reds have lucked into and made for themselves some luck with regard to having arms relatively fresh for the stretch drive.

1. Cueto: Just had an involuntary vacation that caused him to miss a start thanks to the brawl. In hindsight, some time off for Cueto in mid-August seems like a great idea.

2. EV: He's up, he's down, he's post-TJ so none of that is suprising. But his arm is also strong, with only a partial season's work on it.

3. Wood: Innings are up there, but the Reds, to my disbelief, actually took the opportunity to back him off in the last 10 days and even last night Dusty only threw him 74 pitches. He looks fresh to me heading into late August.

4. Homer: Two and half months on the shelf means that his arm is baby fresh.

5. Arroyo: Always answer the bell. Happily, seems to get better the more innings he piles up.

6. Leake: Chilling in the pen to rest his arm and manage his innings, available to fill in as needed.

By my reckoning, they are as fresh as you could possibly hope a staff could be during the dog days with a pennant race to run. Some by luck, some by design, but still, there it is.

Contrast that with the Cardinals, who I def acknolwedge have a better top of the rotation than the Reds do, but Priss, Wainwright and Garcia have certainly had no breaks and are piling up huge innings. That may not matter in Priss' and Wainwright's case (altho those curveballs may have less bite as September wears on) but it sure may matter in Garcia's case. His innings jump is going to be huge.

Lohse is fresh-armed, but, ah, that may not matter.

At any rate, it is not a rotation loaded with TORs at this point in their careers, but the Reds do have arms with upside and arms that are, for all intents and purposes, kinda rested for this point in the season.

redsmetz
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
membengal, nice analysis. I'd add to your's that IF Harang returns, he'll find a spot in the pen for the balance of the season. He didn't look ready on Sunday to come of the DL, so he'll be a couple or few weeks, if at all. There's no room for him in the rotation. Finish out the season and shake hands at the end, thank him for his service to the organization and move on.

membengal
08-20-2010, 01:13 PM
membengal, nice analysis. I'd add to your's that IF Harang returns, he'll find a spot in the pen for the balance of the season. He didn't look ready on Sunday to come of the DL, so he'll be a couple or few weeks, if at all. There's no room for him in the rotation. Finish out the season and shake hands at the end, thank him for his service to the organization and move on.

Yeah, it's hard for me to plug Harang into the equation anywhere, but if he gets past the back and builds his arm strength back up, he would clearly be a "fresh arm" too in September if they need him at some juncture.

bucksfan2
08-20-2010, 01:13 PM

I have a feeling that Harang will only arrive after the Sept 1st roster expansion. He may be on the post season roster as the long man but I just don't know. IMO Harang's tenure as an important member of the Reds is over. He may get some mop up duty down the stretch but I think that will be to see how he pitches out of the pen.

Slyder
08-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Contrast that with the Cardinals, who I def acknolwedge have a better top of the rotation than the Reds do, but Priss, Wainwright and Garcia have certainly had no breaks and are piling up huge innings. That may not matter in Priss' and Wainwright's case (altho those curveballs may have less bite as September wears on) but it sure may matter in Garcia's case. His innings jump is going to be huge.

Lohse is fresh-armed, but, ah, that may not matter.

At any rate, it is not a rotation loaded with TORs at this point in their careers, but the Reds do have arms with upside and arms that are, for all intents and purposes, kinda rested for this point in the season.

See this point is why I wish there was another big time arm available. We do not match up well with any of the playoff teams in just top 3. We have more depth but we do not have the type of high end arms (Right now, not saying they couldnt be in the future) to match up in an arms race in a short series most likely.

Arroyo has been the only one of our starters to ever see September baseball as more than a tryout for the kids at the major league level. They maybe too young to know they arent suppose to win but usually the experience is what carries the day in the playoffs.

Right Now if I had to announce my rotation would be:
1 Bronson Arroyo- Ill probably get some gruff for this, Arroyo understands how to control his emotion. I would be a bit afraid of Wood or Cueto coming out game one overthrowing everything and just being wild as heck.
2 Johnny Cueto- Bit more experience, I want to see what Wood has left come September.
3 Travis Wood- Homer could sneak in here if Wood wears down but I cannot leave Wood out of my post season rotation with how he's pitched thus far.

membengal
08-20-2010, 04:07 PM
It is what it is, Slyder. No TOR hammer is showing up in Cincy for October, so, from where I sit, no sense stressing about it at this juncture. Getting to the playoffs is step one, have to just roll the dice if they get there.

Fwiw, the Reds didn't appear to have the hammers on paper to roll through the 1990 playoffs either...at least not as compared with Stewart/Welch at the top of the A's rotation.

While the Reds don't have a hammer, they do have pitchers who are more than capable of being really hot in any one game and knocking off pitchers who are better on paper.

Mario-Rijo
08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
It is what it is, Slyder. No TOR hammer is showing up in Cincy for October, so, from where I sit, no sense stressing about it at this juncture. Getting to the playoffs is step one, have to just roll the dice if they get there.

Fwiw, the Reds didn't appear to have the hammers on paper to roll through the 1990 playoffs either...at least not as compared with Stewart/Welch at the top of the A's rotation.

While the Reds don't have a hammer, they do have pitchers who are more than capable of being really hot in any one game and knocking off pitchers who are better on paper.

Damn Skippy! :D

OnBaseMachine
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Dodgers have placed Hiroki Kuroda on waivers. If he makes it to the Reds I would claim him. 147.1 innings, 7.21 K/9, 2.32 BB/9, 3.48 ERA. Shift Volquez to the bullpen to make room for Kuroda in the rotation.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Dodgers have placed Hiroki Kuroda on waivers. If he makes it to the Reds I would claim him. 147.1 innings, 7.21 K/9, 2.32 BB/9, 3.48 ERA. Shift Volquez to the bullpen to make room for Kuroda in the rotation.

Whatever keeps Harang out of the rotation I'm ok with