PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

Congratulations to Yonder Alonso who today was named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

OesterPoster
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't know how you typed that so fast. I got the Tweet and came here to post the same thing. :)

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't know how you typed that so fast. I got the Tweet and came here to post the same thing. :)

:D

GOYA
08-02-2010, 12:34 PM
G AVG H AB R 2B 3B HR RBI SLUG BB SB
Week: 6 .480 12 25 7 4 1 2 6 .960 4 0
Season: 74 .286 85 297 32 21 1 9 42 .455 23 7

RedsFanInBama
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
How much worse than Gomes would Alonso be as a left fielder? I'm talking strictly defensively here.

GOYA
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Worse. How much worse is very difficult to say. I'd bet Yonder could play left but he needs to put in a lot of work there before I'd want to see him there in Cincy.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Worse. How much worse is very difficult to say. I'd bet Yonder could play left but he needs to put in a lot of work there before I'd want to see him there in Cincy.

Can you give us a comparison to Dunn?

GIDP
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
He certainly cant have a worse arm.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
From Ben Badler:

#Reds Triple-A 1B Yonder Alonso's last 200 PAs: .326/.377/.527 with 7 HRs. Hamate injury getting further in the past

http://twitter.com/BenBadler

GOYA
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Can you give us a comparison to Dunn?

Well, he's faster than Dunn but he doesn't have the instincts to tell him where to run to track down flyballs. I think he'd be a little better than Dunn. Dunn had problems fielding balls bouncing toward him.

cinreds21
08-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Dunn must be horrifically slow then because Yonder is extremely slow. Unless he's turned into Juan Pierre since last season.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I tell you what if Vottos wrist is tweeked enough I wouldnt mind giving Yonder a quick peak.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, he's faster than Dunn but he doesn't have the instincts to tell him where to run to track down flyballs. I think he'd be a little better than Dunn. Dunn had problems fielding balls bouncing toward him.

Thanks, Goya. He sounds good enough to me to be opening day 2011's Left fielder.

WebScorpion
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Yonder! :clap:

From minorleaguebaseball. com (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/documents/2010/08/02/12928082/1/IL_Player_of_the_Week_8-02-10.pdf):

Yonder Alonso helped his red hot Louisville Bats to victories in each of the teamís six games this week, as he led the International League with a .480 batting average, 12 hits, and a .960 slugging percentage. He was 2nd in the League with a .552 on-base percentage and 4 doubles, and tied for 3rd with 2 home runs. Alonso and his teammates set the tone for the week on Monday, as they exploded for 19 runs in the series opener against Charlotte (with Alonso going 4-6 with a double, RBI, and two runs scored). The next night he put the Bats ahead for good with a solo homer in the 7th inning of a 7-5 victory. When the division-leading Columbus Clippers came to town over the weekend, Alonso continued his hot hitting. He drove in four runs in the 10-2 win Saturday night, collecting two doubles and a home run. His 11th and 12th hit of the week came yesterday in another Bats win, giving the team ten in a row. Louisville currently leads the Wild Card race by 3.0 games over Syracuse.

------------------------------------------------

As far as Left Field is concerned, I believe the Reds have given up on making him a left fielder, so I'm guessing he is pretty bad.

nemesis
08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't know that they have given up. When Dorn and Francisco went down it limited the options on who could play 1B in Louisville. Frazier for certain but then there was no real solve for 3B unless you moved everyone around.The easy plug and play thing to do was Alonso at 1B. If he doesn't get moved there for the AFL then it's probably official that he will be moved at the Winter Meetings.

Kingspoint
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Congratulations, Yonder!

But, so many told me that you didn't have any power.

GOYA
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Dunn must be horrifically slow then because Yonder is extremely slow. Unless he's turned into Juan Pierre since last season.

I just checked the Baseball Cube site for their speed ratings. Dunn is a 40 and Yonder is a 30. lol

Somebody measured Dunn running downhill.

I don't believe that for a second.

Cisco is 41
Valaika is 38
Sutton is 50

GIDP
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Dunn always seemed to start off in mud but once he got up to speed he seemed to be decent.

Pony Boy
08-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I tell you what if Vottos wrist is tweeked enough I wouldnt mind giving Yonder a quick peak.

Now that is an idea I could get behind.

Kingspoint
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Dunn was "deceptively" fast.

He was stealing bases in his early years.

I think Dunn was more athletic (year for year) than Alonso will be. Most Left-Fielders during Dunn's time there were horrible defenders. Alonso's worse, but he'll probably be "capable". I'm thinking more Manny, then Dunn.

If Alonso could be "as good as" Dunn was during Dunn's first 6 years, then this wouldn't even be an issue. But, because Alonso's worse than Dunn, that's why there's even a conversation going on about it.

You guys don't know him hardly at all, but I see Alonso as being just slightly better than Jack Cust. No range. No instincts. No speed. But, if their bat is good enough, you can stick anyone out there.

lidspinner
08-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Congratulations, Yonder!

But, so many told me that you didn't have any power.

hey now, watch it pal. :D

Yonder is proving me wrong and I love it. I hope he proves me wrong all the way to the NL MVP award. Thats one crow I will not mind eating. But yes, count me in on the group that said Yonder was a lifer at AAAA.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Dunn was an average runner at one time. He's always had a strong arm, too. It's his instincts (and now age) that have always slowed him down. I'm just speculating, but I think that may have a tendency to happen when an organization doesn't put much emphasis on defense. I'm so glad those days are over.

cinreds21
08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I just checked the Baseball Cube site for their speed ratings. Dunn is a 40 and Yonder is a 30. lol

Cisco is 41
Valaika is 38
Sutton is 50

Yea Yonder has horrible speed. Once he got hurt and came back in August, he worse. It painful to watch.

dougdirt
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Cisco is 41
Valaika is 38
Sutton is 50

The Baseball Cube's "scouting reports" are numbers based and have nothing to do with actual scouting.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Dunns arm might be strong but it was as accurate as me throwing a water balloon.

icehole3
08-02-2010, 06:08 PM
what about Votto to LF, he has the speed to do it, he would be the starting LF in the all star game for the next 10 years in LF

CTA513
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
what about Votto to LF, he has the speed to do it, he would be the starting LF in the all star game for the next 10 years in LF

I wouldn't do it if Alonsos defense is as bad as what people say.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm with you, but it's not a suggestion that's going to get anywhere on RZ.

CTA513
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm with you, but it's not a suggestion that's going to get anywhere on RZ.

Probably because the Reds are looking for a good defensive infield.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I think a lot of people arent responsive to it because of how improbable it is for the Reds to do it.

membengal
08-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Ryan Braun came up as a 3b for Milwaukee if I am remembering right, and then was shifted to LF. And his defense is not all world by any stretch. Far from it. I keep thinking that some AFL time and some serious off-season work could get us Alonso's bat in LF for a very cost effective price for 2011. And a real upgrade in-house.

cinreds21
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
It's not that Alonso's defense is bad, which it is. See, Braun has a nice athletic build and really profiles more as a left fielder more so than Yonder. Alonso, on the other hand, is built like a first baseman. He's big, slow, and has power. He doesn't have the build nor that athleticism to play anywhere but first.
I watched him play left at the beginning of the year (during his brief tenure in Double-A) and it wasn't a pretty sight. Yes, he was just learning it, but you could tell he just doesn't know what to do out there with the routs and getting to balls and whatnot. Honestly, the best thing for the Reds to do with Yonder is trade him, plain and simple.

REDblooded
08-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling that we'll be very happy with the fact that the Mariners mis-scouted the Lee deal...

JKam
08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Some people want Manny Ramirez in an August trade and now some people (I'm not sure it is the same people) are worried about LF defense?

GIDP
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Some people want Manny Ramirez in an August trade and now some people (I'm not sure it is the same people) are worried about LF defense?

if Manny hits like Manny I will suffer with his D because hes likely to out produce his negative D.

CTA513
08-03-2010, 12:56 AM

Ramirez is one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy.

WebScorpion
08-06-2010, 05:50 AM
... Honestly, the best thing for the Reds to do with Yonder is trade him, plain and simple.

I agree. The best value we will ever get from him is to trade him to an AL team after he proves he can rake at the AAA level for a while. I don't think we'll ever have a place to put him where he'll get enough ABs at the Major League level to prove anything. IMO to trade him at peak value, we'd wait for him to put in a dominating season at AAA. I still think he'll be a great hitter someday, he just won't do it for the Reds.