PDA

View Full Version : If Im the reds and these guys come to me in waivers I put a claim on them

GIDP
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
1) Im not sure how his contract works and who would have to pay the deffered money but if Manny Ramirez makes it to the Reds hes getting a claim put out. He would be the Reds 2nd or 3rd best hitter.

2) Grady Sizemore. Guy is injured for this year but going on to next season hes due only $7.5 and then an $8.5 player option. He was a 1.9 WAR player in 09 and a 7.1 WAR player in 08. Hes been beat up by injuries and if he didnt cut it in CF you could easily move him to LF and not worry about it. It would be a risk but I'd take it.

You guys got anyone?

texasdave
08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Manny Ramirez lf
2 years/$45M (2009-10)

re-signed by LA Dodgers as free agent 3/4/09
09:$25M, 10:$20M (voidable)

Ramirez must decide whether to opt out of final year of deal before fifth day after 2009 World Series or Nov. 10, whichever is later

$30M deferred without interest:

for 2009, Ramirez receives $10M in 2009 and $15M in 3 installments of $5M paid each June 30, 2010 to 2012
if Ramirez does not opt out, he receives $5M in 2010 and $15M in 3 installments of $3,333,333 each on June 30, 2011 and 2012, and $8,333,333 on June 30, 2013

Manny has an odd contract. He has 20 million (at least) left in deferred payments. Would the Reds (or any other team that picked him up on waivers) be responsible for that? If yes, you would have to pass. If not, then sure.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Edgar Renteria.

knoonan991
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
No thanks to Manny. Don't need a cancer on this team.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Manny has an odd contract. He has 20 million (at least) left in deferred payments. Would the Reds (or any other team that picked him up on waivers) be responsible for that? If yes, you would have to pass. If not, then sure.

Yea if the deffered payments some how would come to the Reds also Id pass for sure. All depends on how that would work.

RedsFanInBama
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Edgar Renteria.

What is the Giants situation at shortstop? Is Renteria not their everyday guy? I saw him get a big hit last night is the reason I ask.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
What is the Giants situation at shortstop? Is Renteria not their everyday guy? I saw him get a big hit last night is the reason I ask.

I would have to look but I thought Juan Uribe was their shortstop. Unless he just got hurt. It looks as if Renteria is playing more short lately and Uribe moving around.

brm7675
08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
1) Im not sure how his contract works and who would have to pay the deffered money but if Manny Ramirez makes it to the Reds hes getting a claim put out. He would be the Reds 2nd or 3rd best hitter.

2) Grady Sizemore. Guy is injured for this year but going on to next season hes due only $7.5 and then an $8.5 player option. He was a 1.9 WAR player in 09 and a 7.1 WAR player in 08. Hes been beat up by injuries and if he didnt cut it in CF you could easily move him to LF and not worry about it. It would be a risk but I'd take it.

You guys got anyone?

i wouldn't touch either one EVEN if you paid me to take them.:thumbdown

BurgervilleBuck
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
We don't need him. Bat or no bat, he isn't worth picking up.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Why shouldnt the Reds try to claim Manny?

bshall2105
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Because Jonny Gomes won over everybody's hearts in May and people can't get over that.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Because Jonny Gomes won over everybody's hearts in May and people can't get over that.

Yea Id hate to get Gomes May for the rest of the season also :)

BurgervilleBuck
08-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Because the Reds have people they can use in the outfield already.

bshall2105
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM

The Cincinatti Reds outfield is by far the biggest weakness on the team. We aren't getting any offense or defense out of left field, so what is wrong with getting a little offense from Manny?

GIDP
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Only 1 of them are as productive as Manny Ramirez is though. He would be a huge upgrade in LF.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Jim Edmonds.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Actually, now that I think about it. If Washington put Adam Dunn on waivers and the Reds claimed him, they probably wouldn't pull him back. I doubt the Gnationals are going to offer him arb and they aren't going anywhere. It would save them about 4 million. Sign me up for Adam Dunn.

Trace's Daddy
08-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm with you texasdave. I'd rather have Dunn than Manny myself. Then they could platoon Gomes/Bruce depending on who's pitching and maybe do the same with Stubbs/Heisey in CF.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
If the nationals didnt trade Dunn before the deadline when they had offers they certainly arent goin to just let him go for nothing on waivers.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
If the nationals didnt trade Dunn before the deadline when they had offers they certainly arent goin to just let him go for nothing on waivers.

The Nationals are in the same position the Reds were in 2008. Arizona gave Cincinnati something for Dunn. But not much really. Why would Washington hold onto him if they don't plan on signing him longterm? There isn't a single reason why. Just like the two teams before them - Cincinnati and Arizona - they likely won't offer arbitration. Washington is now painted into a corner. If the Reds claim him on waivers Washington either takes what the Reds offer or pay him 4 million to play for two months in a season that they are going nowhere only to let him walk at the end. If they are serious about signing him longterm then fine. Otherwise they have next to no leverage.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Nationals arent trading done for nothing. If they were they would have already done it.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
The Reds did it. Every year people get traded in August.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
The Reds did it. Every year people get traded in August.

How do you figure the Reds did it?

08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Nationals arent trading done for nothing. If they were they would have already done it.

I agree. The Nats think they can still sign Dunn to an extension, or at least hope so. They turned down Edwin Jackson for him, so they aren't putting him on waivers.

GIDP
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I agree. The Nats think they can still sign Dunn to an extension, or at least hope so. They turned down Edwin Jackson for him, so they aren't putting him on waivers.

They will put him on waivers but they simply wont just let him walk for nothing.

08-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Yep, those two World Series rings and all those playoff appearance prove what a cancer he has been. ;)

Anyway, I usually value intangibles more than most, but in Manny's case, he can be Manny all he wants and as long as he posts a 150+ OPS+, I'll take him.

The guys a monster at the plate and would make everyone else in the lineup better just by being in it.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
They will put him on waivers but they simply wont just let him walk for nothing.

First off, I never in any of my posts said that the Nationals would let the Reds have him for nothing at all. I said the Reds would have the leverage.

August 11, 2008: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds with cash to the Arizona Diamondbacks for players to be named later and Dallas Buck (minors). The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Wilkin Castillo (August 14, 2008) and Micah Owings (September 12, 2008) to the Cincinnati Reds to complete the trade.

Do you think that was fair market value return for Adam Dunn?

08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Right, nearly everyone gets put on waivers after the deadline. But that is what I meant. They will pull him back if anyone claims him, unless they are overwhelmed with an offer.

Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

GIDP
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Right, nearly everyone gets put on waivers after the deadline. But that is what I meant. They will pull him back if anyone claims him, unless they are overwhelmed with an offer.

Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

I figured you meant that but you never know :)

bshall2105
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Actually, now that I think about it. If Washington put Adam Dunn on waivers and the Reds claimed him, they probably wouldn't pull him back. I doubt the Gnationals are going to offer him arb and they aren't going anywhere. It would save them about 4 million. Sign me up for Adam Dunn.

texasdave
08-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Yes, I said I would put in a claim. I thought it was understood that a deal would have to be worked out.

The Nationals are in the same position the Reds were in 2008. Arizona gave Cincinnati something for Dunn. But not much really. Why would Washington hold onto him if they don't plan on signing him longterm? There isn't a single reason why. Just like the two teams before them - Cincinnati and Arizona - they likely won't offer arbitration. Washington is now painted into a corner. If the Reds claim him on waivers Washington either takes what the Reds offer or pay him 4 million to play for two months in a season that they are going nowhere only to let him walk at the end. If they are serious about signing him longterm then fine. Otherwise they have next to no leverage.

lidspinner
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
put me into the camp that thinks the Nationals really screwed themselves by not trading Dunn.....I think they were holding out till that last minute hoping the Yankees were gonna jump on him....we seen a few reports that the Yanks were sniffing around Adam...who knows, i am probably wrong but it seems to me that Zimmerman is the guy who is going to make the big bucks with that club.....He, along with adding another pitcher with SS, they can get real good, real quick....and paying Adam big money is not going to help them get there quick. They need to spend that money elsewhere.....so count me in on Adam Dunn being traded for next to nothing just as we did.

08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know if he will be available, but I think Chone Figgens would be a nice addition.

He makes a lot of money over the next few years, but he's likely to earn it. He's having a terrible year this year, but is likely to bounce back. I think it's mostly his bad reaction to playing in one of the worst hitters park in the league.

He would be a great leadoff hitter, and can play almost any position, although his best is third, making him a great replacement for Rolen in the future. Until then, he can play LF.

WildcatFan
08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd make a pass at Coco Crisp for CF. NL may do him some good.

Also Brandon Lyon maybe?

1990REDS
08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Id take manny in a heartbeat. A 3,4,5 of Votto, Manny, Rolen would be dangerous.

texasdave
08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Bump. Pretty much scratch Manny. Hard to justify shelling out that kind of money for a player who is finding it hard to stay on the field.

Los Angeles Dodgers left fielder Manny Ramirez has suffered what manager Joe Torre acknowledged was a setback in his rehabilitation from a right calf strain and won't begin a minor league rehabilitation assignment for at least another week.

Club officials had hoped Ramirez would start a rehab later this week and return to the club in about 10 days. The delayed return means it probably will be even harder for the Dodgers to trade Ramirez before the Aug. 31 deadline.

In order to be traded after July 31, a player must first clear waivers, something Ramirez would be virtually certain to do because he is still owed more than $6 million in this final season of a two-year, $45 million contract. But players who are on the disabled list can't be placed on waivers, so the Dodgers might be running out of time to trade Ramirez if they are hoping to do so, although club officials haven't acknowledged that they are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5435465

GIDP
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
If he is healthy id still risk it.

texasdave
08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
If he is healthy id still risk it.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to finally get through his rehab assignment. You might be right. One month of Manny for 3 million isn't outrageous if it brings you a title. That being said, it certainly would be nice to see the Reds' outfield bats swinging well again by then.

Texas Pete
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Brandon Lyon

texasdave
08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Bump.

Jose Guillen DFA'ed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Royals designated Jose Guillen for assignment, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star (on Twitter). The team, which called up Philip Humber in a corresponding move, now has ten days to determine Guillen's future. A trade seems likely, though a release is possible.

GIDP
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
No absolutely not. He brings nothing to the table that we dont already have in Nix other than hes RH.

Vottomatic
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Just say no. I don't want either of them.

OldRed1966
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
You can't waive a guy who is on the DL, so you won't be seeing Sizemore on the waiver sire.

Vottomatic
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM
You can't waive a guy who is on the DL, so you won't be seeing Sizemore on the waiver sire.

Yeah, but will we see him on the waiver wire? :D

GIDP
08-06-2010, 02:39 PM

you are correct. I was thinking Peavy was a waiver wire deal last year. My mistake.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up Sizemore in the offseason, I'm not familiar with his contract either, though. Hopefully he can rebound and isn't just declining. I'd hate to use the S-word with him, but he's been somewhat declining ever since his best season as a 23 year old in '06, right around when substance policies were being put into place and testing got more harsh.

sivman17
08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I would love to have Manny for the rest of the season. When he plays, he is no doubt one of the best hitters in the game. My only worry about him is that he hasn't been on the field. He's only played in two games since the beginning of July.

He's still got "calf discomfort." I would take a risk on him though. The dude can hit.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I would love to have Manny for the rest of the season. When he plays, he is no doubt one of the best hitters in the game. My only worry about him is that he hasn't been on the field. He's only played in two games since the beginning of July.

He's still got "calf discomfort." I would take a risk on him though. The dude can hit.
I would like him too, that is, if we don't end up on the hook for his deferred money.

bagz
08-07-2010, 11:41 AM
We don't need him. Bat or no bat, he isn't worth picking up.

Gotta agree! He would be like a New Virus that would mess up the team chemistry. A terrible example to our young players. We don't need a non-hustling primadonna. Just ask the Sox what they went through with him.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Jim Edmonds.

Bump. Walt Jocketty reads Redszone. Nice. :D