PDA

View Full Version : August 2010 Transactions

muddie
08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have made a set of roster moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's series opener at Huntsville.

RHP James Avery has been assigned to the Mudcats from High-A Lynchburg, while LHP Matt Fairel has been placed on the disabled list with left shoulder inflammation.

Avery will start in Fairel's slot, marking his return to Double-A on Tuesday night.

cinreds21
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Avery had great numbers in High-A this year after being injured for half of last year and part of this year.

camisadelgolf
08-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Raul Rodriguez was recently released. He was drafted in the 25th round in 2008. In his career, the 19-year-old had 32 performances in rookie ball with so-so results.

nemesis
08-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Other moves I haven't seen posted...

Walker and Infante are sent to Lynchburg to replace Avery (AA) and Christiani ( to DL).

Salinas (Rehab from AZL) and Shunick are sent to Dayton to replace Walker and Infante.

Danny Hernandez (3B) replaces Shunick on Billings roster.

Mario-Rijo
08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Raul Rodriguez was recently released. He was drafted in the 25th round in 2008. In his career, the 19-year-old had 32 performances in rookie ball with so-so results.

Wow seems awfully young to give up on a guy.

medford
08-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Wow seems awfully young to give up on a guy.

Maybe Raul gave up on himself? Guys see the writing on the wall all the time and ask for their release so they can get on with their life's work. I doubt the Reds released him just to release him, there's always room for low level minor league filler.

GIDP
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Maybe they just trust the bad track record of guys named Raul

muddie
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have made a set of player moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Tuesday night's contest against the Huntsville Stars.

C Chris Denove has been promoted back to the Triple-A Louisville Bats, with C Chris McMurray rejoining the Mudcats from High-A Lynchburg.

The Mudcats roster remains at the Southern League limit of 24 players. McMurray will be in uniform tonight in Huntsville, AL.

redsof72
08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Salinas actually replaced Means on the Dayton roster. They have not replaced Walker yet, but his replacement will be Blaine Howell, who was putting up great numbers in
Billings. Kid who missed all of 2009 on a mission. Played at BYU. I have heard some good things. Looking forward to seeing him.

nemesis
08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
What's Means on the DL with this time 72?

batsfan
08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have made a set of player moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Tuesday night's contest against the Huntsville Stars.

C Chris Denove has been promoted back to the Triple-A Louisville Bats, with C Chris McMurray rejoining the Mudcats from High-A Lynchburg.

The Mudcats roster remains at the Southern League limit of 24 players. McMurray will be in uniform tonight in Huntsville, AL.

Who does Denove replace in AAA? Please tell me they didn't release Corky???

cinreds21
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Maybe if Cabrera goes on the DL they'd call up Valaika from here and he'd replace him?

redsof72
08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Means: wrist. He plays hard and has some Ryan Freel in him in terms of injuries, meaning he is going to get hurt trying to make plays that someone else would not even attempt.

I think Francisco may go up.

GOYA
08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I think Francisco may go up.

He's been sighted in the Reds' hotel in Pittsburgh. (According to a post in the ORG)

Makes me wonder if there's going to be another move for a backup SS.

GIDP
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
He's been sighted in the Reds' hotel in Pittsburgh. (According to a post in the ORG)

Makes me wonder if there's going to be another move for a backup SS.

probably once Votto is healthy enough to play every day. Seems like they believe the chances they need a back up SS over a back up 3rd/1st baseman is lower. Makes some sense I guess considering Rolen needs his days off.

muddie
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
This is getting interesting. Injuries or not, I felt like there would be a few moves within the organization anyway after there was no action at the deadline.

GOYA
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Francisco is officially on the Reds 25-man roster.

muddie
08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Eric Eymann to Louisville and Felix Perez is activated in Carolina.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Eric Eymann to Louisville and Felix Perez is activated in Carolina.

Awesome. I will be in Carolina starting tomorrow, glad I will get a chance to see him.

cinreds21
08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Awesome. I will be in Carolina starting tomorrow, glad I will get a chance to see him.

If you have any questions about Five County or the area PM me and i'll help you out.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
If you have any questions about Five County or the area PM me and i'll help you out.

I will be cutting it close tomorrow as far as arriving at game time. Probably can't leave Cincinnati until 10am, so I probably will drive straight to the stadium and check in to my hotel after the game. So I may get in touch Tuesday if I have anything.

cinreds21
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I will be cutting it close tomorrow as far as arriving at game time. Probably can't leave Cincinnati until 10am, so I probably will drive straight to the stadium and check in to my hotel after the game. So I may get in touch Tuesday if I have anything.

Sounds great. Let me know. You can get autographs from the players after the game, the Clubhouse is separate (not underneath) so it's very accessible to get them.

corkedbat
08-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Norfolk-Louisville will be on Insight Ch. 524 tonight for anyone in the Lexington area.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds great. Let me know. You can get autographs from the players after the game, the Clubhouse is separate (not underneath) so it's very accessible to get them.

I will be working press, so no autographs for me.

muddie
08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Klinker will be the starter tomorrow night.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Shouldn't they be asking autographs from you. You're the one who gets quoted in publications all the time. ;)

cinreds21
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Did not realize that. Well have fun in the press box. You'll likely see Kinas (the Mudcats radio guy) come through during the game sans his shoes.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Did not realize that. Well have fun in the press box. You'll likely see Kinas (the Mudcats radio guy) come through during the game sans his shoes.

I will probably spend most of the game down on the first level taking pictures and video.

cinreds21
08-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I will probably spend most of the game down on the first level taking pictures and video.

I got ya. Good luck.

muddie
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Sappelt headed to Louisville!

The Cincinnati Reds have made several roster moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Carolina's series opener at Jacksonville tonight.

OF Dave Sappelt has been promoted to Triple-A Louisville. Sappelt departs the Southern League as he is leading the league for the batting title with a .361 average. Should he end the regular season with enough plate appearances, Sappelt would become the fourth-ever Mudcat to win the batting title, and the first since Chris Aguila in 2003. Sappelt's nearest challenger is Tennessee's Tony Campana, who is hitting .329 entering tonight's action.

LHP Jeremy Horst has also been promoted to Triple-A. Horst was 3-2 with a 2.09 ERA in his 27 relief appearances with Carolina after beginning this season in High-A Lynchburg like Sappelt.

Joining the Mudcats are RHP Nick Christiani and OF Denis Phipps. Christiani was drafted last year by the Reds in the 13th round as a senior sign from Vanderbilt. Christiani began his pro career at Low-A Dayton (1-0, 3.86, 7g) earlier this season before a promotion to Lynchburg (1-3, 3.83, 29g). Phipps returns to the Mudcats after hitting .333 with eight home runs in 25 games with Lynchburg following his demotion last month.

Additionally, RHP Daryl Thompson (shoulder strain) and LHP Matt Fairel (inflammation) have left the Mudcats to continue their rehabs with the Goodyear Reds in the Arizona League. Thompson and Fairel will not be on the active roster with Goodyear at this point.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Kinda surprising, but not really.

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Good move to challenge Sappelt and reward his great work in AA. Likewise, Horst has really turned it on in relief lately.

Reds may be developing a legit surplus of CFs, i.e. trade chips.

HokieRed
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Glad to see the Sappelt move. I hope the org. doesn't regard him simply as a trading chip. Looks to me like he may well put legit. pressure on the CF's currently in Cinti and I hope they choose to keep the best player.

nemesis
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Glad to see the Sappelt move. I hope the org. doesn't regard him simply as a trading chip. Looks to me like he may well put legit. pressure on the CF's currently in Cinti and I hope they choose to keep the best player.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. I wouldn't shed a tear if he continued his hot hitting and provided the Reds with yet another quality option in the OF. Even if he and Perez are just a 4th OF types, It provides depth, defense, speed and late inning options for the Reds over guys like... well we know who. If he can continue his hot hitting in AAA, that might be just enough to get that team past the hump in Durham.

On the other note what in the heck does Donnie Joseph have to do to get promoted?

muddie
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Regarding Joseph, I wonder the same thing. The Mudcats bull pen is a crap shoot every night. Now with Horst moving up it gets even crazier.

camisadelgolf
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Sappelt to AAA just made too much sense. He was clearly better than the league, and the Bats really needed a pure center fielder. It also gives Felix Perez a chance to get more playing time in center. I'm really glad Horst was promoted, too; he's practically a lock to join the 40-man roster in the off-season, so the Reds might as well start giving him serious looks to decide whether he's part of their future or not.

cinreds21
08-13-2010, 12:25 AM
They're helping Louisville with their play off run.

muddie
08-14-2010, 01:08 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have made a pair of transactions impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Carolina's Saturday night game at the Baseball Grounds in Jacksonville, FL.

RHP Justin Freeman will join the Mudcats tonight from High-A Lynchburg, while RHP Nick Christiani has been returned to the Hillcats.

Freeman was 1-2 with seven saves and a 2.91 ERA in 37 games with Lynchburg this season. Freeman was selected in the 32nd round of the 2008 draft from Kennesaw State (GA).

Christiani made his Double-A debut on Thursday night and pitched another inning in relief last night against the Suns (2g, 2ip, 1er).