PDA

View Full Version : Travis Wood

RedEye
08-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Time for a fresh "Travis Wood" thread, isn't it? The title on the previous one is more than a little confusing...

Another very nice start by Travis this evening, albeit against a AAAA team in the Pirates.

That is all. Carry on.

RedEye
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Okay, maybe that was a stupid idea. Mods, feel free to lock this one. But... perhaps... we can change the old one's title?

Spitball
08-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I agree, the other thread title was confusing. Why not start a new thread? The kid deserves a fresh one.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I agree on the new thread idea. Anybody happy we didn't trade Wood yet?

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Wood has been very impressive. He's got above average stuff for a left-hander and is a very good athlete too. 90-93 mph fastball, plus changeup, very good cutter. IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year. That pitch has helped turn his career around. I'll stick to what I said earlier - I think he has a chance to be a #2 starter in the major leagues.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Wood has been very impressive. He's got above average stuff for a left-hander and is a very good athlete too. 90-93 mph fastball, plus changeup, very good cutter. IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year. That pitch has helped turn his career around. I'll stick to what I said earlier - I think he has a chance to be a #2 starter in the major leagues.

Agree. I've been calling him a 2 as well; it's the cutter and the fearlessness about getting strikes on the inside. The kid's a pitcher.

Tom Servo
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I approve of this new thread, personally. It's kinda funny to me how I just took the scouting reports from years past as the gospel that said his ceiling was a #4 or #5 and I figured he'd make for a decent trade chip like, say, Justin Germano. So far he's looking like a genuine starter.

VR
08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I approve of this new thread, personally. It's kinda funny to me how I just took the scouting reports from years past as the gospel that said his ceiling was a #4 or #5 and I figured he'd make for a decent trade chip like, say, Justin Germano. So far he's looking like a genuine starter.

Not just with his stuff, but his is just very confident and composed out there. He and Leake are amazing all around athletic specimans, who just happen to have very good arms as well. The comparisons of Glavine and Maddux from their early years is a good one. I don't think these guys will turn out to be those two.....but the games are pretty similar.

Cyclone792
08-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Good cutters mix things up a bit, and they're probably one of my two favorite pitches (along with a good change-up). It's the one pitch that can really throw the BABIP equation out the window a bit, because the late movement makes it more difficult for hitters to square up on a ball.

Once I saw the reports that Wood was working with Lee on the cutter - and then throwing the pitch well - that was golden news. That's the type of pitching development that can take a good prospect like Wood was previously and turn him into a really fine big league pitcher.

edabbs44
08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Really great that this kid is contributing like this, but I think we've seen enough in our years to not get ahead of ourselves this early in his career.

Scrap Irony
08-03-2010, 12:19 AM
The stuff claims have really been off on Wood.

From early on, scouts, published reports, and web sites insisted he couldn't break 90. So, even with a great change (which we've not seen all that much, BTW), he was, at best, a BOR starter. Even last season, prospect mavens insisted he was short FB mph.

That's been the revelation, to me at least. He's throwing 88-91 all game, but can reach back and hit 93 when needed. That's plus stuff, especially from a southpaw. And, unless he added those mph this season (in Cincinnati), I cannot see how all those supposed experts missed it.

Superdude
08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
yea I've been really surprised to see Wood successfully pitching off of his fastball like he has. The changeup is no doubt a good one, but judging from his minor league scouting reports, it seemed like that was the only real weapon he had.

Spitball
08-03-2010, 01:02 AM
. IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year.

Travis Wood and Cliff Lee are from neighboring towns in Arkansas and work out together in the winter.

Mario-Rijo
08-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I agree on the new thread idea. Anybody happy we didn't trade Wood yet?

Yup, he's definitely been more impressive than I thought. I was high on him for years but I allowed my enthusiasm to wain a bit on him after his struggles 2 years back IIRC. Even after his '09 I wasn't this high on him, not so much his production but his stuff is better than I thought.

ESPN's "Why they won"- Wood 102 pitches, 87 fastballs (Held Pit to 2-19 on AB ending with fastballs).

Not sure why that won us the game but a nugget all the same, surprised to see so many fastballs but he does use 3 of them.

Reds Freak
08-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the innings cap for Leake. Is there one for Wood? I know he's had some injuries in the past so I'm sure he's never thrown that many innings in a season. Will he have to be shut down at any point?

cumberlandreds
08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
The most impressive thing to me is how he consitentaly throws strikes. For a young kid its amazing. I would like to know his ratio of first pitch strikes. It seems he gets ahead of 80% of the hitters with a first pitch strike. You don't see many rookie pitchers with that good a control.

OesterPoster
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
The most impressive thing to me is how he consitentaly throws strikes. For a young kid its amazing. I would like to know his ratio of first pitch strikes. It seems he gets ahead of 80% of the hitters with a first pitch strike. You don't see many rookie pitchers with that good a control.

Currently 58.9%, according to fangraphs.

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I never understood why the scouting reports were not more glowing seeing as his minor league numbers were really quite impressive. No way was it worth trading him for 2 mos of Cliff Lee

Cyclone792
08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the innings cap for Leake. Is there one for Wood? I know he's had some injuries in the past so I'm sure he's never thrown that many innings in a season. Will he have to be shut down at any point?

Wood threw 167.2 innings last year, and so far this year he's at 142.2 innings. I'm not sure if the Reds would push him to the 200 inning threshold, but he should be fine in the 180-190 inning range.

Now if we make the playoffs, things could interesting with Leake and Wood. My guess is the Reds are working on some plans with Harang and/or Bailey getting back in the rotation for a few starts this season, and we could see a six or seven man rotation for a bit.

traderumor
08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Wood is the old "sneaky fast." I see the radar readings, but the hitters are swinging late frequently on a low 90s fastball, similar to King Arthur. Both of them have a quick arm action after a lull to sleep windup, so that may be what is fooling them.

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Travis Wood is one of a number of impressive young homegrown pitchers that has rarely been seen in this town. In fact this crop of guys like Wood, Cueto, Leake, Chapman and others to come are the best crop we're seen in Cincinnati since 1970 when they had Gary Nolan, Don Gullett, Wayne Simpson and Milt Wilcox with Dave Tomlin and Ross Grimsley in the pipeline.

Enjoy it Reds fans. This doesn't happen very often, maybe once in a generation

I(heart)Freel
08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I never understood why the scouting reports were not more glowing seeing as his minor league numbers were really quite impressive. No way was it worth trading him for 2 mos of Cliff Lee

I'm taken by his talent and moxie as well.

Legit question: knowing what Houston got for Oswalt and the money they included, would you have given them Wood and two prospects?

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm taken by his talent and moxie as well.

Legit question: knowing what Houston got for Oswalt and the money they included, would you have given them Wood and two prospects?

No way. You'll get 6 yrs out of Wood and you'll get a little over a yr with Oswalt. Wood's giving you quality starts and opposing hitters are hitting less than .200 against him. How much better would Oswalt be?

mth123
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM

He went 176 last year and is at 146 now. He can probably go another 60 or maybe 9 or 10 starts before he's pushing it too far.

nemesis
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
He went 176 last year and is at 146 now. He can probably go another 60 or maybe 9 or 10 starts before he's pushing it too far.

With off days and Bailey and Harang coming back, he should make it til the end of the season.