PDA

View Full Version : The State of Our Pitching....

PuffyPig
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Our team ERA, with the shut out tonight, has fallen to 4.01, and is now in the top half of the NL.

Considering it was 5.41 in April, it's quite an achievment to get it that low.

It's been 3.31 since that forgettable April.

And in July?

We led the league with a 3.06 ERA.

RedEye
08-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes, it seems both the hitting and the pitching are evening out some as the year goes on.

VR
08-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Bullpen leading the league in post break ERA at 1.78 before tonight.
4 of the runs were Owings....otherwise, these guys have been ridiculously good.

11larkin11
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
All we need to do is DFA Volquez to admit how horrible the Hamilton trade was and trade for Hawksworth, and our pitching staff will be set.

Scrap Irony
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Also need to get rid of Cueto, as he's a middle reliever at best.

Oh, and Arroyo really is due for an offensive backlash any year now. So he needs to be sent away yesterday.

And... well, you just need to get rid of all of them, as they suck.

And the Cardinals are due a major winning streak that will bury the Reds any day now.

Yep.

Any day.

Just watch.

You'll see.

Any.

Day.

PuffyPig
08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Yes, it seems both the hitting and the pitching are evening out some as the year goes on.

Yet we are still leading the NL in runs scored.

The Voice of IH
08-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Bullpen leading the league in post break ERA at 1.78 before tonight.
4 of the runs were Owings....otherwise, these guys have been ridiculously good.

and don't forget young. Ondresek, Smith, Fisher, Masset have all been pretty stellar.

RFS62
08-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Also need to get rid of Cueto, as he's a middle reliever at best.

Oh, and Arroyo really is due for an offensive backlash any year now. So he needs to be sent away yesterday.

And... well, you just need to get rid of all of them, as they suck.

And the Cardinals are due a major winning streak that will bury the Reds any day now.

Yep.

Any day.

Just watch.

You'll see.

Any.

Day.

Don't sugar coat it Scrappy.

I'm really getting sick of your Pollyanna optimism.

:cool:

nate
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought this was an interesting graphic:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7779/redseravsfip100803.png

This is team pitching, both starters and relievers. The vertical axis would be ERA-type numbers, horizontal is games.

Maybe a little hard to see but:

Blue: cumulative FIP
Orange: cumulative ERA
Yellow: season FIP
Grean: season ERA

My FIP constant is 3.18 which is the 2009 constant I believe.

What's interesting is the cumulative numbers converging on the season FIP. To me, this says the defense has been pretty good and the pitching has sort of normalized itself to it's peripherals. So, the bad start by the bullpen has kind of worked itself out and although the starters haven't been dominant, they've been OK. I'd still like to see a real hammer in the rotation but ya gots what ya gots.

Unassisted
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
How much credit for the pitching improvement should go to Bryan Price? That's certainly a different trend than we saw in the recent seasons before he arrived.

guttle11
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Pret-tay, pret-tay, pret-tay, pretty good.

oneupper
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
How much credit for the pitching improvement should go to Bryan Price? That's certainly a different trend than we saw in the recent seasons before he arrived.

I'll give Price credit and maybe even Dusty too. FWIW, Dusty stuck it out with Masset who was very shaky early on.