PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn placed on waivers today.

texasdave
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com

Adam Dunn Placed On Waivers
By Tim Dierkes [August 3 at 2:07pm CST]
Nationals slugger Adam Dunn was placed on waivers today, according to ESPN's Buster Olney. This was an entirely expected and standard move by Washington, as hundreds of players will hit the waiver wire this month. Teams have 48 hours to make a claim on Dunn. Once word of the winning claim comes in, things may get interesting, but there's a good chance the Nationals pull him back.

GIDP
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
He would probably be the easiest player to block in a trade. the Dbacks could put in a claim blocking every other team in baseball from getting him and have no fear that they would end up having to take his salary.

I really really doubt he gets far in the waivers.

Trace's Daddy
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I hope we get him. How much worse defensively would he be than Gomes in LF?

addictionsport
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Its funny because we had a hard time giving him away. Now according to reports everyone is interested in him. Same thing with Gonzalez. Its funny how much things change in a year or so.

redsfanmia
08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I hope we get him. How much worse defensively would he be than Gomes in LF?

I would quit on this team if they get Dunn again.

brm7675
08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I would quit on this team if they get Dunn again.

Why? He hits, he comes to play every day and is a good guy, what is not to like about having his bat in the lineup. with that said, Walt would never bring him back...:thumbdown

texasdave
08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
When the Reds put Dunn on waivers in 2008 he eventually got traded to Arizona. They obviously won the waiver battle then and they were in 1st place out West at the time.
So it is possible he could fall to the Reds. Now wouldn't this be ironic if, by virtue of the Reds sneaking 1/2 game ahead of the Cardinals last night, that St. Louis claimed him and worked out a trade with Washington? And then Adam Dunn led them to the division title over the Reds.

muddie
If I have to say it in every thread, the answer to this team being successful is already in the organization. They just have to make the right moves going forward.

davereds24
Its funny because we had a hard time giving him away. Now according to reports everyone is interested in him. Same thing with Gonzalez. Its funny how much things change in a year or so.

If there was that much interest they would have moved him before the deadline.

berryluther
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
If I have to say it in every thread, the answer to this team being successful is already in the organization. They just have to make the right moves going forward.

I hope you are not referring to AAAA Dickerson

redssince75
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Why? He hits, he comes to play every day and is a good guy, what is not to like about having his bat in the lineup. with that said, Walt would never bring him back...:thumbdown

WHY????

Our biggest offensive problem is OFs who strike out WAYYYY too much, and in critical situations -- directly leading to our second offensive problem of not getting runners in from third with less than 2 out via small ball. How in the world would Adam Dunn address these problems?

(Our biggest defensive problem? Two words: Francisco Cordero).

brm7675
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
If there was that much interest they would have moved him before the deadline.

not true, there may have been interest and the Nats wanted to much.

brm7675
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
WHY????

Our biggest offensive problem is OFs who strike out WAYYYY too much, and in critical situations -- directly leading to our second offensive problem of not getting runners in from third with less than 2 out via small ball. How in the world would Adam Dunn address these problems?

(Our biggest defensive problem? Two words: Francisco Cordero).

yea he strikes out, but he also hits 40+ homeruns and can drive in over 100, how many Reds do we have that can do that?

muddie
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM

Stay tuned.

redsfanmia
08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
yea he strikes out, but he also hits 40+ homeruns and can drive in over 100, how many Reds do we have that can do that?

We will see how many teams are lined up to get him in the off-season, he had to sign for less with the Nationals. Dunn is a good player but he is not the guy for us.

redsfanmia
08-03-2010, 07:03 PM

How many winning teams has he played on?

UPRedsFan
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM

I think he means Dickerson and Heisey and Chapman and Springer and Volquez. Fransisco may even help give Rolen some rest in August he's been on fire - OPS over 1.000 his last 10 games. I think Alonzo may even help in September - he's heating up as well. This team is very deep.

The Cardinals are in trouble. They lost Freese and will have to suffer Lopez lack of defense at 3b. They lost Ludwick and have to hope Jay can maintain his rediculous babip.

Mutaman
08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
When the Reds put Dunn on waivers in 2008 he eventually got traded to Arizona. They obviously won the waiver battle then and they were in 1st place out West at the time.
So it is possible he could fall to the Reds. Now wouldn't this be ironic if, by virtue of the Reds sneaking 1/2 game ahead of the Cardinals last night, that St. Louis claimed him and worked out a trade with Washington? And then Adam Dunn led them to the division title over the Reds.

Interesting. But if that happened, based on past history, the Cards would play under .500 with Dunn in the lineup. Then all the Dunn fans would blame their terrible finish on bad pitching and the fact that Tony batted Dunn in the wrong place in the lineup.

texasdave
08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Interesting. But if that happened, based on past history, the Cards would play under .500 with Dunn in the lineup. Then all the Dunn fans would blame their terrible finish on bad pitching and the fact that Tony batted Dunn in the wrong place in the lineup.

So, in a roundabout way, Dunn would lead the Reds to a pennant?

ian_madden
08-04-2010, 12:45 AM
SOOOoooo.... if Dunn went to St. Louis could we PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM LIKE HE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!

Hondo
08-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Dunn was a Good Contributor to this team and still is an offensive plus player... He should have never been dealt from this team and should have been paid 10 million a year to play left frield for this team the last 2 years...

Razzle
08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Where would the Cards play him? He'd be a butcher in RF and if the Cards weren't sold on Jay or a Jay/Craig platoon, which is a ridiculous notion in itself, then they wouldn't have traded Ludwick. As a Cards fan, I'd rather the Cards pick up Dunn and start him everyday over Jay even as bad as Dunn's defense is, but it would never happen.

texasdave
08-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Where would the Cards play him? He'd be a butcher in RF and if the Cards weren't sold on Jay or a Jay/Craig platoon, which is a ridiculous notion in itself, then they wouldn't have traded Ludwick. As a Cards fan, I'd rather the Cards pick up Dunn and start him everyday over Jay even as bad as Dunn's defense is, but it would never happen.

They, IMO, would be wise to put in a claim just to block him from potentially going to Cincinnati.

Biff Pocoroba
08-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I am correct, right, in assuming that the Nats would pull him back - because they are better off getting draft picks when he signs elsewhere as a free agent than saving the coin they'd save for August and September?

Trace's Daddy
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
They, IMO, would be wise to put in a claim just to block him from potentially going to Cincinnati.

I'm still confused about the waiver process. If St. Louis puts in a claim, they would get to negotiate before the Reds (provided they put in a claim as well). If St. Louis didn't get him, would the player then have a chance to go to the team that is next in line?

BigJohn
08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Waivers

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

* arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
* rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
* do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

Reds
08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I could see him landing in SF, if he moves.

bounty37h
08-04-2010, 11:39 AM

I dont see Cincy or Dunn wanting each other at this point, nothing to go on, just my thought.

texasdave
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm still confused about the waiver process. If St. Louis puts in a claim, they would get to negotiate before the Reds (provided they put in a claim as well). If St. Louis didn't get him, would the player then have a chance to go to the team that is next in line?

In a word - no.