PDA

View Full Version : Will Mike Leake Hit Paul Maholm With A Pitch In The Bottom Of The Fourth?

Hap
08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
i say yes

REDblooded
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I live in Indianapolis... So of course I can only watch it on Gamecast... What happened?

Hap
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
OK, so I was wrong. So it goes.

OldXOhio
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Anyone listening to the Pit broadcast? Wish Leake would plunk their color guy.

TeamBoone
08-03-2010, 11:07 PM
For Pete's sake... he's such a young guy. Anybody could tell by the way he reacted that he didn't do it on purpose.

Chip R
08-03-2010, 11:14 PM
You guys do know that there is a game thread?

REDblooded
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
You guys do know that there is a game thread?

You mean a thread where things get lost quickly unless you're following the entire time?

If you know what the thread is about because you've been following the game, well... there's no reason to open, and definitely no reason to reply....

GADawg
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
You mean a thread where things get lost quickly unless you're following the entire time?

If you know what the thread is about because you've been following the game, well... there's no reason to open, and definitely no reason to reply....

most excellent! btw I wish Leake woulda hit Bruce!

Chip R
08-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Game threads are for game commentary. If you can't figure that out, we're going to have problems.

REDblooded
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Game threads are for game commentary. If you can't figure that out, we're going to have problems.

"you're...", not "we're"... Nobody else responded by showing an issue to the thread outside of yourself...

When that happens, take a step back, and evaluate whether you just might be a touch too sensitive...

WVPacman
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Theres no way in the world Leake hit the Pirates centerfielder!! Why on earth would he throw at a guy that he easily got out in the first inning.I know a pitcher is suppose to take up for their teamates but I thought the Pirates/Maholm handled it the wrong way.Leakes reaction should have showed them that he did'nt mean to hit the guy.

KronoRed
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
If the situation had been reversed a ton of fans here would have been screaming for us to hit their pitcher in the head.

camisadelgolf
08-04-2010, 02:11 AM
The towel in Hap's avatar is high from the result of an illegal activity. Maybe we should play it safe and kick him out of tORG. This is a family site.

I didn't think Leake would hit Maholm. Had he done that, Baker would have been ejected, too, and seeing as how Leake is probably on thin ice, I think he knew better not to.

redsfandan
08-04-2010, 06:20 AM
"you're...", not "we're"... Nobody else responded by showing an issue to the thread outside of yourself...

When that happens, take a step back, and evaluate whether you just might be a touch too sensitive...
Now that was hilarious. Thanks REDblooded.

The towel in Hap's avatar is high from the result of an illegal activity. Maybe we should play it safe and kick him out of tORG. This is a family site.
Why? Is there a reason why you felt you had to post that?? Cuz I'm just scratching my head. :confused:

Back to the thread topic ...

I didn't think Leake would hit Maholm. Had he done that, Baker would have been ejected, too, and seeing as how Leake is probably on thin ice, I think he knew better not to.
How is Leake on thin ice? Did I miss something?

I have to wonder if accidentally hitting McCutcheon rattled Leake and ended up being a deciding factor in who won. Maybe with a little more experience/maturity that kind of thing will be less likely to rattle him.

RedEye
08-04-2010, 08:38 AM
In the future, could we keep this sort of post to the game thread? It's not the long-form sort of discussion prompt usually meant for the ORG, right?

RedFanAlways1966
08-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I think this thread is fine (talk about the REDS pitcher getting HBP after hitting one of their players), but the way it is worded might be the problem (vote on a poll before the pitcher comes to bat in a game). Anyhow...

I am glad
* Leake did not retaliate.
* Maholm threw towards the lower legs. A pitchers legs are important, but less chance for a serious injury.
* Leake behaved like a man after being hit. Never looked at Maholm and jogged to 1st. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Thanks, Mike Leake.

I am not happy
* Pirates decided to retaliate.
* The umpire gave warnings after Leake was HBP. It was an obvious HBP. Maholm should have been immediately ejected after the ball hit Leake. Hit one of the starting 8 and I am okay with warnings to both benches. Hit the pitcher and you should be ejected.

Roy Tucker
08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I didn't quite get why the Pirates plunked Leake. Clearly, Leake didn't want to hit McCutchen and especially in the head. Leake was clearly shaken. I didn't see any intent nor other wildness. So the protocol is if your guy gets beaned, you plunk the pitcher? Anyway, I didn't get it. I'm glad Leake took it and that was that.

At least maybe. At some point this season, I wouldn't be totally surprised if a Reds pitcher hits a Pirate. But the Reds probably don't want to rile up a losing team. Just beat them politely and move on.

If anyone had a beef, it was the Braves after Reds pitching had Cueto hit Medlen, Arroyo hit Jurrjens, and Volquez hit Gonzalez on succeeding days. I was waiting for Cox to say "OK, enough" and give the flip sign.

bucksfan2
08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I watched Baseball Tonight and everyone on the show said it needed to be done. I don't have an issue with Leake getting hit. If the tables were turned and Maholm plunked Votto in the head/neck we would be expecting a retaliation.

OldXOhio
08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I watched Baseball Tonight and everyone on the show said it needed to be done. I don't have an issue with Leake getting hit. If the tables were turned and Maholm plunked Votto in the head/neck we would be expecting a retaliation.

I don't have a problem with the retaliation either. The Pirates broadcast team were talking about a recent trip in LA when McCutcheon got thrown at not once, but twice with no retaliation by the PIT pitchers the next inning. Of course, they were both adamant how Leake absolutely intended on plunking AM in the head. Forget the game situation, they just knew it was intentional.

Tony Cloninger
08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
The Pirates announcers never said it was or felt it was intentional.....they said how Leake looked really shook up about it.

OldXOhio
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
The Pirates announcers never said it was or felt it was intentional.....they said how Leake looked really shook up about it.

Perhaps you're referring to the TV broadcast? The radio guys were pretty sure it was intentional and demanded retaliation....to the point that one said he was going to come out of the booth if Maholm were to get thrown out were he to throw at Leake the next inning.

top6
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Of course Leake didn't throw at his head on purpose, but he did almost kill the guy so he absolutely deserved to be thrown at. And he took it like a man. That should have been, and was, the end of it.

Tony Cloninger
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
OK....I did not know about the radio broadcast. Who are the 2 guys? Not Steve Blass?

mbgrayson
08-04-2010, 12:15 PM
The Pittsburgh newspaper has a story about the incident. It seems they have a thing from earlier in the year against the Dodgers where there was no retaliation.

Link is HERE (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10216/1077485-63.stm).

camisadelgolf
08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Why? Is there a reason why you felt you had to post that?? Cuz I'm just scratching my head. :confused:
I didn't have to say that. I just wanted to stick with the theme of over-moderation.

How is Leake on thin ice? Did I miss something?
He hasn't been performing well lately. That tends to have an influence on how much slack a player is given.

Boss-Hog
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I didn't have to say that. I just wanted to stick with the theme of over-moderation.
We already know how to you feel about the site's policies. We don't need to see your opinion on the matter again in non-related threads.

If you have any new concerns, please PM an administrator.

camisadelgolf
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
We already know how to you feel about the site's policies. We don't need to see your opinion on the matter again in non-related threads.

If you have any new concerns, please PM an administrator.
You don't already know how I feel about the site's policies. If you did, you wouldn't be saying that. Just for emphasis, I don't have a problem with the site's policies. It's just a problem with Chip's policies regarding a singular post. I think we can all just sit back, relax, and let things run their course because there isn't actually a 'problem'. It's merely a disagreement being taken out of context. If someone other than Chip has a problem with this thread being started, why is it still open?