08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Heres another poll.

HotCorner
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Mike Leake. Wall.

Wall. Mike Leake.

OnBaseMachine
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Leake didn't pitch well tonight but keep in mind that Scott Rolen botched an inning ending double play. If Rolen makes that play, the inning is over with 0 runs scored. Instead, six runs scored. But yeah, Leake hasn't looked as sharp lately. It looks like he could be wearing down.

HotCorner
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Last 2 months (9 starts) prior to tonight's start:

June - 5.22 ERA | 1.77 WHIP
July - 4.56 ERA | 1.32 WHIP

nate
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I think these graphs tell the story well:

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_1_20100802.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_2_20100802.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_4_20100802.png

Mainly the last one. He's been serving up a lot of Ball de Gopheur while not striking out many and walking a fair amount.

I think it's just an adjustment period + him maybe running out of steam.

sabometrics
08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
No need to read too much into it imo. Likely the league is adjusting to him, but he still has been pitching at a level of a 4 or 5 guy. With other guys stepping up their games it isn't too much of a concern for me.

REDblooded
08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm sure the book is out on Leake and he's gonna have to adjust to continue having success.... Dude likes to pound the zone... Everybody knows that know, so hitters are going to the plate ready to swing... He's gotta continue to mix things up...

WVPacman
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
The only thing that I hope for is that I don't want the reds to skip every other start for Leake.I personally think thats why he had so much trouble tonight b/c of that.Welch said tonight that Leake could pitch over 200 hundred innings! So if the kid says he can do it then give him a chance.We are in a playoff race and the last thing we need is to start screwing up our young pitcher.Mize well go a head and bring up Lacure to pitch the rest of the season or go out and get another pitcher.JMO

VR
08-04-2010, 01:02 AM
If Rolen makes that play, or it's ruled an error.....Leake has a very good start. Only 1 ball hit hard that I recall.....I just don't think it was as tragic as it seemed.

That said, resting him is obviously wise, not sure how they get that done right now.

Slyder
08-04-2010, 01:33 AM
If Rolen makes that play, or it's ruled an error.....Leake has a very good start. Only 1 ball hit hard that I recall.....I just don't think it was as tragic as it seemed.

That said, resting him is obviously wise, not sure how they get that done right now.

What about piggy backing when Homer's ready?

Volquez throws 3-4 then Leake throws 3-4 or vica versa? That way they know going in and getting warm isnt an issue? Just a thought if we're going to continue running them both out there.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Leake is going to be OK. Just like golf. I tore my rotator cuff last winter and didn't play golf for awhile-- a couple of weeks. When I came back, I had lost eveything though I was healty. You cannot sit idle. so shut him down or let him pitch. One or the other.

I finally got back to my game.

redsfandan
08-04-2010, 06:37 AM
The only thing that I hope for is that I don't want the reds to skip every other start for Leake.I personally think thats why he had so much trouble tonight b/c of that.Welch said tonight that Leake could pitch over 200 hundred innings! So if the kid says he can do it then give him a chance.We are in a playoff race and the last thing we need is to start screwing up our young pitcher.Mize well go a head and bring up Lacure to pitch the rest of the season or go out and get another pitcher.JMO
No thanks. Heard on the radio broadcast that he pitched 140 innings last year plus another 20 after he signed. So, (if that's true) I would be ok with shifting him to the bullpen after 170-175 ip as long as they don't use him too much out of the bullpen. We should have someone ready to take his spot in the rotation by then.

But 200 ip? Why push it?

mth123
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Leake hasn't been very good for the last couple months. After last night, he's at 126 IP. He can go another 50 or so, but at this point, he's the weakest link in the rotation. After a couple more starts he'll be approaching last season's IP numbers (I don't think the AFL innings should be considered since they came after a 3 month lay-off. We're trying to manage the effect of taking the ball and going out there without all that time to recover). I think he has to be considered a guy who might need to be optioned who can get his work in at AAA for the rest of the season and then be shut down when the AAA season ends. The Reds will be getting Homer back at about that point and if he has another good rehab, he should probably get another crack at it.

In Leake's last 10 starts (Starting in June) He's thrown 60 Innings, walked 19 (a still good 2.85 BB/9), Struck out 33 (4.95 K/9) for a k/BB ratio of 1.73. He's allowed 10 HR for a HR/9 rate of 1.5. His ERA is 5.40. Some of that is bad luck (like last night) and some is being left in too long, but his early dominance might be giving him a bit of a free pass. First time around the league and no book on him at all since teams didn't even have guys who may have faced him in the minor leagues helped him to a hot start, but he may never have another 10 start stretch as good as he was in April and May. Those K and HR numbers suggest back-end guy and not some one we'd want pitching a big game down the stretch or in the post season.

I think the league is adjusting and Leake may not be one of the best five with everyone healthy. He won't be available for the post-season anyway and even though Bailey and Volquez are also question marks, they have the profile that might get them on a roll and could allow them to put up a dominant stretch in the post season and it may be worth seeing if the Reds can catch that lightning in a bottle. By the time October rolls around both Leake and Wood will be over the limit of safely pitching and Cueto will be in uncharted waters from an IP standpoint. Since the Reds were unable to acquire a stabilizer, they really need to try and get the high ceiling guys rolling. HokieRed suggested that the Reds should start stretching Chapman back-out for a late boost to the rotation. I agree, this team is going to need some more options down the strech. Give the three big arms (Volquez, Bailey and Chapman) a chance to get on a roll and provide a TOR presence even if its only for a well timed stretch.

jojo
08-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Leake has had a successful season for a rookie but he's basically been a back end guy based upon his below average peripherals...

NL ave starter: FIP: 4.17, K/9: 6.9; BB/9: 3.15; K/BB: 2.17;

Mike Leake: FIP: 4.44, K/9:5.57; BB/9: 3.14; K/BB:1.77.

For context, to draft a starter who immediately impacts the 25 man roster at all has to be considered a homerun. But also for context, Leake isn't anything close to the question posed by the "Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?" thread.

Hi early ERA may have skewed expectations a bit.

reds1869
08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
His early ERA may have skewed expectations a bit.

I worry about the "Jay Bruce effect" among the fan base with Leake's early showing. Hopefully we can all be happy with what he becomes instead of being disappointed if he doesn't morph into a HOFer.

Caveat Emperor
08-04-2010, 09:37 AM
He had a bad start. It happens when you're a rookie. Back off the ledge.

mbgrayson
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
I wonder what impact it has for Leake to have been on a somehat irregular number of days rest.

Since June 1st, here is the number of days rest Leake has had between starts. Keep in mind that 4 days between starts is 'normal'. I realize that with off days and the All Star break, things are never exactly 4 days.

May 30-June 5th- 5 days (0 ERs, 7 innings, 0 BB, 100 pitches)
June 5th-10th- 4 days (5 ERs, 4.1 innings, 4 BBs, 91 pitches)
June 10th-16th- 5 days (5 ERs, 6 innings, 3 BBs, 108 pitches)
June 16th-21st- 4 days (1 ER, 6 innings, 4 BBs, 96 pitches)
June 21st-29th- 7 days (6 ERs, 6 innings, 2 BBs, 92 pitches)
June 29th-July 4th- 4 days (3 ERs, 6 innings, 1 BB, 86 pitches)
July 4th-9th- 4 days (5 ERs, 8.1 innings, 0 BB, 101 pitches)
July 9th-20th- 10 days (1 ER, 5 innings, 1 BB, 69 pitches)
July 20th-25th- 4 days (4 ERs, 6.1 innings, 3 BBs, 94 pitches)
July 25th-Aug 3rd- 8 days (6 ERs, 5 innings, 1 BB, 69 pitches)

I wonder if the irregular time between starts is effecting Leake's command of the strike zone. The way he pitches, it is essential for him to be able to accurately locate his pitches. If he is rusty from too much time off, he may have more trouble with his control. Walks are one measure of this, but Leake will also just get hit hard if he misses his spots.

bucksfan2
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I wonder if the irregular time between starts is effecting Leake's command of the strike zone. The way he pitches, it is essential for him to be able to accurately locate his pitches. If he is rusty from too much time off, he may have more trouble with his control. Walks are one measure of this, but Leake will also just get hit hard if he misses his spots.

Irregular rest and an odd rain delay compounded by plunking a guy in the head can do disastrous things to a rookie pitcher.

TheNext44
08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Irregular rest and an odd rain delay compounded by plunking a guy in the head can do disastrous things to a rookie pitcher.

Exactly. He really didn't pitch that badly yesterday.

I also think we need to just toss Leake's peripherals out the window. He's a freak, an outlier, whatever you want to call him. But he has so much movement, so many different pitches, and such a different pitching philosophy, that you can't judge him on K's and BB's and home runs alone.

He clearly has the ability to supress hits without the need to strike a lot of guys out. Hitters just don't make solid contact against him. He's not going to have as low an ERA as he had at the beginning of the season. I agree with JoJo that that has skewed expectations. Putting more balls in play will result in some runs scoring due to luck (as evidence by that six run inning yesterday) but overall, he should be able be pretty dominant in the future.

I am of the belief that his problems of late are mostly the result of missing starts. Guys like Leake need regular ark to keep sharp. Skipping him and giving him extra days off hurt his ability to locate. I think next season, when they can pitch him every fifth day, he will actually get stronger and better.

I could see him being an ace of the staff next season.

Always Red
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM

I watched the game on FSN, and I have to think the Pirate Parrot being obnoxious to Leake right behind home plate had to have distracted him somewhat. Welsh even mentioned it prior to the beaning.

I know a pro is supposed to focus that kind of stuff out, but it was right in his line of sight. I was expecting Dusty to come out any minute and ask the home plate ump to have the creature moved.

Slyder
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I watched the game on FSN, and I have to think the Pirate Parrot being obnoxious to Leake right behind home plate had to have distracted him somewhat. Welsh even mentioned it prior to the beaning.

I know a pro is supposed to focus that kind of stuff out, but it was right in his line of sight. I was expecting Dusty to come out any minute and ask the home plate ump to have the creature moved.

If he got rattled by a bird I'd hate to see if he came to Charleston to face off with Rod Blackstone's heckling.

reds1869
08-04-2010, 12:03 PM
If he got rattled by a bird I'd hate to see if he came to Charleston to face off with Rod Blackstone's heckling.

Is that the Toast Man? I sat by him at a game this year; hilarious!

Kc61
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
At this point in a pennant race, the Reds need to go with the five most effective starting pitchers. The question is who is most effective right now.

Cueto, Arroyo, Wood for sure.

The question marks are Volquez and Leake.

Bailey, Harang and (in an emergency) Maloney are the possible replacements. Bailey will be ready soon. Harang a bit later probably. Maloney isn't replacing anyone in the rotation, he's around if the Reds need someone to fill in.

When Bailey is ready the Reds will have to decide whether to put him in the pen or use him to replace Leake or Volquez. Until then, there is really nothing to talk about. Leake will continue to pitch, hopefully on regular rest so he can be sharp.

Slyder
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Is that the Toast Man? I sat by him at a game this year; hilarious!

Yes it is.

Chip R
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

I don't know this Blackstone guy but I doubt he got rattled by the mascot but if he did, that's pretty sad.

membengal
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Reds are apparently appealing the scoring decision on what Rolen says should have been an E-5 to the league. If the Reds win the appeal, none of those runs are "earned" last night.

Reds still lose, of course.

reds1869
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Reds are apparently appealing the scoring decision on what Rolen says should have been an E-5 to the league. If the Reds win the appeal, none of those runs are "earned" last night.

Reds still lose, of course.

My fantasy team would say thank you. :D

But it is still a loss that stings. Oh well, first place makes it all feel better!

Caveat Emperor
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Incidentally, another example of Rolen leading by example -- how many other players would not only own up to a mistake but actually go out and ask that the scoring decision be changed so that his pitcher didn't get the blame for something that happens?

Gotta love Scott.

OnBaseMachine
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

MLB changed the scoring on that play in PIT that was a McCutchen double to an E5. That means 6 ER became 0 ER

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

membengal
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
And Leake's ERA magically plummets by .40.

bucksfan2
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

MLB changed the scoring on that play in PIT that was a McCutchen double to an E5. That means 6 ER became 0 ER

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

Great move by Rolen. Right after the game he basically came out and said it was my fault. Taking accountability for that play and helping out a teammate stat wise can go along way.

marcshoe
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Time to shut Leake down for a while.

Cedric
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Many of us said he should have been shut down before. There was no reason for him to make this start.

OnBaseMachine
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Agreed. It's time to see what Bailey can do.

REDblooded
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Here's my thing with Leake once again, as I pointed out earlier....

He stays in the zone SOOOOO much.... Any savvy hitter would sit on his fastball, and adjust off of it... The guy has to be willing to show hitters a few pitches that start in the zone and work out...

The Operator
08-09-2010, 10:56 PM
He's clearly gassed at this point.

Heck of a rookie effort and he's gonna be a good one, but it's past time to shut him down. Running him out there is hurting the team at this point.

mdccclxix
08-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, I started reading this thread thinking it was about tonight. Instant replay.

I agreed with Boone during the broadcast, he looked to be keeping the ball up too much. Also, why not tease some pitches outside the zone more often? Especially when they're all making a lot of contact?

That said, I didn't think the contact they did make was all that hard, luck Shumaker HR aside.

Kc61
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I think Leake has had enough for awhile. I would find a way (DL, AAA, whatever) to shut him down for a couple of weeks. Let him come back in September and pitch in long relief, or a spot start in case of injury.

Bailey and Wood should fill out the rotation and if Bailey doesn't do well, then Harang when ready.

Cueto and Arroyo are the team's two best pitchers this year, they need to come through now.

Tony Cloninger
08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree...DL or AAA....you did it with Wood and he actually has pitched more innings in prior years. The whole thing should have been switched around to begin with.

CTA513
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
This is one of the reasons the Reds didn't dump Harang like many wanted them to.

kaldaniels
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
You can't give up a grand slam with the bases loaded...I get that. But am I the only one that saw the Cards get a bunch of seeing eye hits that inning...there could have easily been 3 outs with just 1 run given up. I want to say Leake has been figured out but part of me saw the Cards get pretty darn lucky tonight.

oregonred
08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I think Leake has had enough for awhile. I would find a way (DL, AAA, whatever) to shut him down for a couple of weeks. Let him come back in September and pitch in long relief, or a spot start in case of injury.

Bailey and Wood should fill out the rotation and if Bailey doesn't do well, then Harang when ready.

Cueto and Arroyo are the team's two best pitchers this year, they need to come through now.

Pretty much sums it all up perfectly. Cueto and Arroyo have to step it up the next two games. Gotta give Leake's next two starts to Homer and see what he can do. 15-day DL for Leake.

Screwball
08-09-2010, 11:48 PM
You can't give up a grand slam with the bases loaded...I get that. But am I the only one that saw the Cards get a bunch of seeing eye hits that inning...there could have easily been 3 outs with just 1 run given up. I want to say Leake has been figured out but part of me saw the Cards get pretty darn lucky tonight.

Actually, that's the only way to give up a grand slam. ;)

But yeah, I too noticed a whole lot of grounders that had eyes. What really jumped out to me though was all the first pitch hacking in that inning. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently the league is OPSing up around 1.000 on first pitch offerings from Leake. It's now Leake's turn to make adjustments early in the count.

Nasty_Boy
08-09-2010, 11:50 PM

I couldn't agree more... Obviously he wasn't great, but he had some terrible luck on those ground bals. Jay's ball was hit hard and Albert got decent wood on his, but the Shumaker blast was drilled and a mistake pitch. Now maybe Leake needs a break, but I sure didn't see guy get beat around... I seen a guy give up some groundballs outta his infielders reach and then grooved a pitch to a guy with 2 bombs. It's one game, let's get'em tomorrow!

kaldaniels
08-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Actually, that's the only way to give up a grand slam. ;)

But yeah, I too noticed a whole lot of grounders that had eyes. What really jumped out to me though was all the first pitch hacking in that inning. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently the league is OPSing up around 1.000 on first pitch offerings from Leake. It's now Leake's turn to make adjustments early in the count.

Oh dear...I humor myself sometimes. :D

Spitball
08-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Here's my thing with Leake once again, as I pointed out earlier....

He stays in the zone SOOOOO much.... Any savvy hitter would sit on his fastball, and adjust off of it... The guy has to be willing to show hitters a few pitches that start in the zone and work out...

I would hate to see Leake change his approach. When he is successful, he is in the zone with a fastball with that incredible sink. That is his charm.

I think it appears to be a cutter that was causing his problems tonight. He throws it from a different arm slot. He can't be real successful doing that.

TheNext44
08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
This is the part of the season when most pitchers go through a dead arm phase. Thing is, he lookded great the first few innings, then a a buch of hard hit grounders found holes.

When your pitching philosophy is build around getting ground balls, that can lead to some give innings. He needs to develop a strike out pitch. He has the stuff, but he sticks to the the "let 'em hit it" method, even when he gets into trouble.

I would think the best would be send him to AAA to work out his dead arm phase and work on a big K pitch for when he is in jams.

Superdude
08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Leake will likely never be a strikeout machine, but earlier in the year, it seemed like he threw mainly sinkers early in the count, and then if he got two strikes on the batter, he fooled around with the slider and changeup to try and get the K. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Leake has lost confidence locating his off speed pitches and is just hoping for groundballs and luck at this point.

Call up Homer and let Leake clear his head a little.

VR
08-10-2010, 01:36 AM
He was spectacular the 1st three innings, really really good.

Lots of seeing eye crap...and several Cards hits on pitches outside the zone.

Oh well, it happens. As I said in the game thread...this makes one roster move very, very easy. I hope.

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Chapman up for Nix? I agree 100% :D

Ghosts of 1990
08-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Just get leake off the big league club, please. I can't believe wood with the way he has thrown gets sent and they keep trotting Leake out there with an obvious tired arm over and over again. What are they trying to prove

mth123
08-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Just get leake off the big league club, please. I can't believe wood with the way he has thrown gets sent and they keep trotting Leake out there with an obvious tired arm over and over again. What are they trying to prove

I think they know Leake is on his last legs and there is no hope of getting him to October. Skipping Wood may help give him a chance to stay in the plan into the post season. I'd expect Bailey to take Leake's spot the next time through while Leake finishes stretching his innings for the season to about 170 in AAA. Optioning Leake will help down the road with free agency eligibility. Optioning Wood for a couple weeks now may avoid Super 2 status in a couple years.

Leake will be a solid mid to back end guy in the Arroyo mold, but he needs to build his IP and he won't be the TOR guy that he seemed to be in April and May. Not only was Leake benefitting from first time around the league advantage early, he had an extra advantage because no one in the majors had even faced him in the minors like most other starters. Most guys at least have some one on the opposition that had faced them before in the minor leagues. Leake didn't even have that working against him.

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 04:52 AM
I think they know Leake is on his last legs and there is no hope of getting him to October. Skipping Wood may help give him a chance to stay in the plan into the post season. I'd expect Bailey to take Leake's spot the next time through while Leake finishes stretching his innings for the season to about 170 in AAA. Optioning Leake will help down the road with free agency eligibility. Optioning Wood for a couple weeks now may avoid Super 2 status in a couple years.

Leake will be a solid mid to back end guy in the Arroyo mold, but he needs to build his IP and he won't be the TOR guy that he seemed to be in April and May. Not only was Leake benefitting from first time around the league advantage early, he had an extra advantage because no one in the majors had even faced him in the minors like most other starters. Most guys at least have some one on the opposition that had faced them before in the minor leagues. Leake didn't even have that working against him.

Exactly how I see it. Get the last MLB innings you can out of Leake now, because you know he's not making it past mid-September at the latest. All while resting wood because his arm is more likely to be able to handle a 200-210 inning pitching load and minimizing his innings now can stretch him a little longer into October hopefully. Gotta think big picture here.

muddie
08-10-2010, 04:57 AM
I think Leake is looking like a guy that never pitched in the minors about now. Personally, I think he's running out of gas at this point. Earlier in the season I thought he was getting too many innings but I guess you get'em early or get'em late.

I would consider moving him to Louisville on a restricted pitch schedule. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the club does here.

Chip R
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
He was spectacular the 1st three innings, really really good.

Lots of seeing eye crap...and several Cards hits on pitches outside the zone.

Oh well, it happens. As I said in the game thread...this makes one roster move very, very easy. I hope.

The same thing happened in PIT. He cruised for an inning or 2 then a lot of seeing eye hits, an error by Rolen and a HR was his undoing. If I were the Reds, I'd move him to the bullpen for the rest of the season. He can pitch an inning or two then be out of the game. It'll cut down on his innings but keep him from being rusty.

HotCorner
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
The same thing happened in PIT. He cruised for an inning or 2 then a lot of seeing eye hits, an error by Rolen and a HR was his undoing. If I were the Reds, I'd move him to the bullpen for the rest of the season. He can pitch an inning or two then be out of the game. It'll cut down on his innings but keep him from being rusty.

Agreed. He could take over Fisher's role opening a spot for Bailey.

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Wood has an innings problem as well.

Sending Travis back to AAA has absolutely 0 to do with his talent, his performance to date, or any other percieved slight the fanbase wants to throw at the situation.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

No to mention he was discombobulated by beaning McCutchen.

But yeah, his last 2 outings have been weird. I can't quite get my head around figuring out if he's physically or mentally tired. Or *not* pitching every 5 days is screwing him up. It just seems like events on the field have gotten him messed up.

I think its time to hit his reset button and put him on the DL for 15 days.

membengal
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Wood has an innings problem as well.

Sending Travis back to AAA has absolutely 0 to do with his talent, his performance to date, or any other percieved slight the fanbase wants to throw at the situation.

Again, what are you going to say when he takes his regular turn at AAA and burns innings there?

Does that somehow fix his innings problem, or would the Reds have just wasted six or seven precious innings at AAA?

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Again, what are you going to say when he takes his regular turn at AAA and burns innings there?

Does that somehow fix his innings problem, or would the Reds have just wasted six or seven precious innings at AAA?

They can give Wood a caddy in AAA to limit him or let him relieve on a scheduled day for a scheduled number of innings.

If Wood is pitching in the majors, he's either going 5-6 IP or he's a liability to the team and the bullpen. If Wood is pitching in the minors, he can go 3 IP no sweat to stay on regular work schedule and keep his arm fresh.

nate
08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Leake's problem can be defined as "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

The Good:

Earlier in the year, his control simply wasn't there and he was walking a ton of dudes. As the year has gone on, it seems he's been able to make adjustments and walk fewer dudes. Good!

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_2_20100809.png

The Bad

We realize, of course, he's not a strikeout machine but ya gots to strike out some hitters to prevent "the Ugly" from being a soul crusher rather than a rally killer. Not to blow anyone's mind but the chance of having a man on base after a strikeout is a lot smaller than having a man on base when he puts the ball in play. That might have been useful as recently as last night!

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_1_20100809.png

The Ugly

This is a growth area, fo sho.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/10130_P_daily_mini_4_20100809.png

I think he's a combination of worn out + in need of an adjustment. The walks went WAY down, the strikeouts went slightly down and the HR went WAY up. I think he's figured out how to be around the plate more but not in a way that generates a pleasing result for Reds fans.

membengal
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
They can give Wood a caddy in AAA to limit him or let him relieve on a scheduled day for a scheduled number of innings.

If Wood is pitching in the majors, he's either going 5-6 IP or he's a liability to the team and the bullpen. If Wood is pitching in the minors, he can go 3 IP no sweat to stay on regular work schedule and keep his arm fresh.

I have seen ZERO indication that's how they will approach his time in AAA. Have I missed something, or it all conjecture from folks trying to make sense of his being skipped?

If the Reds do that, that would be great. However, mind you, I don't think the Reds are thinking like a lot of you want them to be thinking on this. I suspect he throws his usual 6-7 innings and 90+ pitches in AAA this week. And if he does, that's 6-7 innings that were spent needlessly away from Cincy, where he has been a rock in the rotation since his call-up.

I guess we shall see.

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Admittedly, I'm speculating along with everyone else.

The Reds are in uncharted territory here -- most of the time, they're so hopelessly out of contention by this point that the only pitchers we see in Cincinnati are retreads, career minor leaguers getting a chance to invite their families to a major league stadium, and young guys getting a quick look.

This is the first time in my time as a Reds fan that they've had young pitching going this deep into the season while still remaining in contention.