PDA

View Full Version : MLB.TV Blackout question

The Voice of IH
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
today is a Radio only day, but I have MLB.tv premium. When I try it on the Reds it says that I am in blackout land, but what if it not on TV? will I be able to watch the game with it? :confused:

reds1869
08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Those of us in Cincinnati will still be blacked out as FSN owns the rights. Even though they chose not to exercise said broadcast rights the blackout is still in effect.

CaiGuy
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I got of work early today, so I went to lunch at a place I could catch the game on TV, only to find out it was a radio-only day...sigh.:(

redsfan1966
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
The blackout rules are ignorant and stupid...so, MLB, what your telling me is--my only option---EVEN IF I SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR STUPID SERVICE--to see today's game is to get into a car and drive to Pittsburgh?

MattyHo4Life
08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
The blackout rules are ignorant and stupid...so, MLB, what your telling me is--my only option---EVEN IF I SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR STUPID SERVICE--to see today's game is to get into a car and drive to Pittsburgh?

I agree... I hate the blackout rules. They don't make much sense. How many games do you guys have a year that are radio only?

Homer Bailey
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree... I hate the blackout rules. They don't make much sense. How many games do you guys have a year that are radio only?

17, not including the Fox Saturday afternoon games.

jojo
08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
As per the mlb.tv agreement, if you want to see it really badly, it's blacked out.

Hollcat
08-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Basically every weekday afternoon get away day type games

Unassisted
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Works out fine for those of us who live 1,000 miles away. You want to begrudge us distant fans the only advantage we have? :D

MattyHo4Life
08-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Basically every weekday afternoon get away day type games

Ohhh... I didn't even realize they still had blackout games. I thought the Fox Sports contract did away with them. Anyways... they should do away with them completely. Blackout rules for baseball just don't make any sense.

MattyHo4Life
08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Works out fine for those of us who live 1,000 miles away. You want to begrudge us distant fans the only advantage we have? :D

Hey bro...what do you have? MLB Extra Innings? Can you get all the games? I had EI a couple of years ago when I lived in Ohio, but I didn't get all of the Cardinals games. I get more now that I moved back to MO. Different teams must have different blackout rules.

Unassisted
08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey bro...what do you have? MLB Extra Innings? Can you get all the games? I had EI a couple of years ago when I lived in Ohio, but I didn't get all of the Cardinals games. I get more now that I moved back to MO. Different teams must have different blackout rules.
MLB.TV on a Roku box.

I get all of the Reds games that don't conflict with Fox's national games (Saturday afternoon) and don't involve the Astros or Rangers. That's most of them. :cool:

MattyHo4Life
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
MLB.TV on a Roku box.

I get all of the Reds games that don't conflict with Fox's national games (Saturday afternoon) and don't involve the Astros or Rangers. That's most of them. :cool:

When I had Extra Innings, we didn't get any Sunday Cardinals games at all. Fox doesn't have rights to Sunday games in St. Louis. If you pay that much for it... you should get every game. I just find it intersting how each team handles the televised games differently.

Big Klu
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
17, not including the Fox Saturday afternoon games.

I think it's still just 17. FSO added the weekday game at Milwaukee last week after Fox announced that they had picked up the Reds-Braves game last Saturday. The advertising was already sold, so they could add a game as a replacement to the schedule.

_Sir_Charles_
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM

This. :p:

MattyHo4Life
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Would it be possible for another network to buy the games that Fox Sports doesn't air?

Big Klu
08-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Would it be possible for another network to buy the games that Fox Sports doesn't air?

Unless Fox Sports has an exclusive contract, I would say yes. Clubs used to televise games on local "over the air" networks, and also on cable networks. For example, the Reds used to televise on WLWT-Channel 5 (and other affiliates on the Reds Television Network), and also on fledgling cable network SportsChannel (an early forerunner of Fox Sports Ohio).

cumberlandreds
08-05-2010, 08:21 AM

I have EI. I live in the DC area and I get almost every game. The only one's I don't get are the FOX regional games on Saturday afternoon's that aren't on the local FOX channel and games on Sunday night because of ESPN's contract. But they are not many on Sunday nights. Usually just Texas home games. I also get blacked out of the visiting teams broadcast of Nationals and Orioles games.
I wonder if the Reds are picking up next Wednesday afternoons game against the Cardinals? It would be a real shame if they didn't.

reds1869
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Unless Fox Sports has an exclusive contract, I would say yes. Clubs used to televise games on local "over the air" networks, and also on cable networks. For example, the Reds used to televise on WLWT-Channel 5 (and other affiliates on the Reds Television Network), and also on fledgling cable network SportsChannel (an early forerunner of Fox Sports Ohio).

It would definitely be possible. Several teams have deals with multiple networks, most notably the two Chicago teams.

MattyHo4Life
08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
It would definitely be possible. Several teams have deals with multiple networks, most notably the two Chicago teams.

Then the Reds need to sell those games. I wonder why they haven't. The Cardinals have a local network that airs all the Sunday games. Every Cardinals game is televised. It seems like the Reds are missing out on an opportunity to cash in on those blackout games.

Chip R
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM

I believe Reds games are exclusive for FSO. If a local station wants to simulcast it like they have done on Opening Day, they can probably do that.

WVRedsFan
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
No human understands the blackout rules. Get this. I live 255 miles from Pittsburgh and 260 from Cincinnati. In years past, we would get the Pittsburgh feed on FS-Pittsburgh only. This year for some reason, the Pittsburgh feeds are blacked out and we get the FS-Ohio feeds. I'm not complaining at all, but what is the reason. I emailed MLB and they said that our area has been claimed by both the Reds and Pirates. I asked why we got blacked out from the Pittsburgh feed and they said you can't have two. Two what? I gave up. they don't even know their own rules so how could we figure it out?

reds1869
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
No human understands the blackout rules. Get this. I live 255 miles from Pittsburgh and 260 from Cincinnati. In years past, we would get the Pittsburgh feed on FS-Pittsburgh only. This year for some reason, the Pittsburgh feeds are blacked out and we get the FS-Ohio feeds. I'm not complaining at all, but what is the reason. I emailed MLB and they said that our area has been claimed by both the Reds and Pirates. I asked why we got blacked out from the Pittsburgh feed and they said you can't have two. Two what? I gave up. they don't even know their own rules so how could we figure it out?

My dad who lives in West Virginia has the exact same issue, and he is also claimed by the Indians. It's a complicated mess in a neutral area like that.

Big Klu
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Then the Reds need to sell those games. I wonder why they haven't. The Cardinals have a local network that airs all the Sunday games. Every Cardinals game is televised. It seems like the Reds are missing out on an opportunity to cash in on those blackout games.

I believe Reds games are exclusive for FSO. If a local station wants to simulcast it like they have done on Opening Day, they can probably do that.

I looked around online, and it seems that FSO does have an exclusive contract, which means that no other network can broadcast Reds Baseball. (Simulcasts like Opening Day are allowable with FSO's permission. I'm sure some cash also flows their way.)