Jack Burton
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Heck of a job today Paulie. :beerme:

Texas Pete
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Thumbs up. I'm a fan.

bgwilly31
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
much better than last night thats for sure.

markymark69
08-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Great performance today. Keep it up.

GIDP
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
He has 3 home runs. That is surprising. That's as many as Cabrera has all season.

I like Janish a ton for what he is. Hes not a great player but he was a cheap SS who would field good enough to hide his bat even if it was as bad as you could expect. He is probably going to be a .600-.700 OPS player with an OBP over .300. Ill take it.

Rockermann
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Count me in. I'm on the PJ Bandwagon.

Trace's Daddy
08-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Small sample size, small sample size! ;)
Every time I hear that, it's like it's implied that it is highly improbable that the player with fewer ABs can succeed. Glad to see Janish in there and doing well - just wish that it didn't come with the loss of OCab. Hopefully, Janish keeps it up at Wrigley.

AintlifeGrande
08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Still ain't buying in.I hope Walt can find a replacement via wavers,cause it looks like OC is going to be on the shelf for a while.

RedsFanInBama
08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I appreciate you, Paul.

lidspinner
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Still ain't buying in.I hope Walt can find a replacement via wavers,cause it looks like OC is going to be on the shelf for a while.

unless the waivers brings us a all star ss, then I want paul janish playing ss every day....the guy has the glove of Barry Larkin and his bat is better than OCab, why not let him play it day in and day out? He has waited his turn and not rocked the boat once....he was supposed to be the starter until OC was signed and he never once came out and showed anger.....then once the season starts, Dusty shoes 100% no faith in him from day 1, and Paul still kept a great attitude....even when he did get in he made gold glove type plays and held a steady bat. Now is his time, I say lets get behind Paul Janish and hope he is our version of Kurt Warner.....

We all know we are missing a SS.....this team is a all star SS away from being dominant....I am not saying Janish is an All Star, but lets give him time to prove he is not instead of us just saying he cant do it....

fielder's choice
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Janish >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cabrera

Hate to see a guy get injured but we just upgraded at SS

fielder's choice
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes how will we ever survive without Ocab's .641 OPS at the top of the lineup everyday :rolleyes:

DocRed
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
signed

Jack Burton
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
How 'bout some Janish nickname possibilities, every star player needs one. Here's a few to ponder

The Conquistador
Mr. Happy-go-Lucky
The Beastmaster
Paul "Egg Foo" Janish

Fon Duc Tow
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Janish finally gets his chance.

GIDP
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm kinda just floating this out there but lets say Janish gets a little Ryan Hanigan syndrome. As in produce alright for a while but age 27 hits a little more power comes into effect, you see a little bit of improvement with the quality of the swing and he starts being a stronger person.

The K rate drops a tad, the walks go up a little and before know it you are looking at a decent major league player.

Last season Janish had about 300 PA he struck out 16% of the time and walked 9% of the time.

This year Janish prior to todays game has 78 PA of basically the same strike out rate and walking at 11.5% rate.

Just to call it safe lets say his career walk rate evens out and falls back down to 9.2%.

Lets add in just a little more power say over the course of a season he adds a couple homers, which he already has, and maybe a handful of doubles and a handful of hits.

Using his stats from last year which was these
.211 average
.296 OBP
.305 Slugging

Lets add lets say 10 hits in the same number of PA all of them singles we would be looking at a
.250 Average
.331 OBP
.344 slugging

Lets say only 5 of them were singles, the other 5 were doubles
.250 average
.331 OBP
.396 slugging

He has already hit 2 more homers this year than he did last year so just for the sake of it lets say last year he hit 2 homers more than he did in the same PA. No real basis for this I'm just basically doing it to see if he adds a little power what type of hitter we could possible see him being.

Ok adding the 2 homers, lets say 2 doubles and 6 singles we get obviously the same BA, and OBP. but his slugging would be

Bringing his OPS all the way up to .706

Not saying its going to happen but lets just say he is the exact same player and added a few more singles and a couple extra base hits Janish could turn into a pretty decent player for the Reds in the Ryan Hanigan mold.

For you all wondering at home. His BABIP in all these scenarios would be a .293 so I'm not really skewing the system a ton to show. These are pretty plausible results given just a slight change in his over all stats last year.

texasdave
08-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Bill James appreciates Paul Janish.

BJ: Votto should score well in our system, but the guys Hanigan and Janish - even though I absolutely love Paul Janish - they don't score highly on the young talent meter because they haven't yet proven they can play every day on the Major League level.

CTR: What about Janish do you like?

BJ: Defense. He's going to be a guy that probably doesn't hit .260, but I don't think he's going to make a lot of outs, either. I think he'll be all right in the strike zone. I think he's going to be one of the best defensive shortstops in the next couple of years.

CTR: A lot of people, myself included, weren't completely sold on the Cabreara signing because of Janish's defens.e

BJ: I'm certain the Reds have good reason for what they're doing, but yes, I do think Janish is a player who has a good future in front of him, given the opportunity to play.

Not that Bill James is the be-all and end-all of talent evaluation.

Griffey012
08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I like OCab, I really do, and I am confident with him as our SS this season. I have been pretty anti-Janish because he has looked pretty over-matched a majority of his career. However, he has been great in his role this season, and I hope he continues to improve the rest of the season and play a big role en route to the playoffs.

This is his golden opportunity to prove he can hit MLB pitching well enough to be an above average starting SS next season, and so far he is doing just that. Well done Paulie!!!

New York Red
08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Hitting .300 with an OBP of .395 ... to go with a good glove. This Reds fan apreciates you, PJ! :)

ThornWithin81
08-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I think Janish will do fine replacing OCab. He's better in the field without question and his bat is not the liability some people choose to sell it as.

Cabrera is a mediocre defender at THE defensive position, he's 35 and his stick is not that great right now. I think Janish is the better option outright, especially weighing the value of his glove at SS.

jimbo
08-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Janish finally gets his chance.

Didn't he get a "chance" last season? Just saying.

redsrolen
08-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Maybe, while you were waiting in the wings, you worked really hard on hitting, and it's paying off !!! Way to go !!!!!!!

LeDoux
08-05-2010, 02:27 AM

The difference between last season and this season is a quick and easy standard to compare his production with. .601 OPS didn't seem that good until you look at the comparison at .641 and, as age would suggest, on the decline.

GIDP
08-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Yes and he hit

.208/.296/.327

Not great but basically exactly the same as Ocab

Janish had 35 hits during that time. Half of them were doubles.

10% strike out rate
9% walk rate

Janish was a little below league average on grounders, and line drives, but he was flat out terrible on flyballs.

42.7% of the balls he put in play were fly balls
36.6% of the balls he put in play were grounders
17.7% of the balls he put in play were line drives
49.1% of balls he put in play were to the infield
50.9% to the outfield

Kind of leads me to believe, although I remember watching it, that he hit a ton of pop ups to the infield. Hard to believe that someone could hit so many flyballs and so many balls to the infield at the same time with out having pop ups.

For example
Votto hits 50% of the balls in play for grounders
26% of his balls in play as flyballs (this doesnt count home runs)
24% are line drives

43% of the balls were hit to the infield
56% were to the outfield

Votto has hit 50% of the balls in the air but 56% of all the balls put in play were to outfielders. That tells me that 6% or so were grounders that made it through the holes

Janish on the other hand has hit 60% of the balls in the air but only 49% of the total balls went to the outfield. Tells me that 11% of these flyballs landed in an infielders hand.

My math is off because I cant tell how many exactly went where but there is at least enough evidence to suggest, other than watching him play last year, that Janish's numbers were bad and it was directly linked to pop flies to the infield. I might have the percentages off, and I probably do but it still is in the ball park. If someone wants to correct me please do.

DocRed
08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Janish for prezident!