PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Chapman Will Be Up In Place Of..

RedLegSuperStar
08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Russ Springer.. Springer left the game with what seems back spasms. Chicago will have their hands full if both Chapman and Dickerson are called up.

medford
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm guessing Dickerson isn't back until after this weekend w/ his Grandmother's funeral and all. On monday, Stubbs go down, Dickerson is re-instated.

An added benefit of Springer going on the DL could be that they could leave him on the DL, then a rehab assignment thru september 1st, then use the month of september to decide if Springer or his replacement or someone else should be left off the 25 man playoff roster (hopefully that's an option). Could be a way for a guy like Chapman to be on the 25 man roster prior to September 1st, but not have to worry if he's playoff roster worthy or not.

reds44
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing Dickerson isn't back until after this weekend w/ his Grandmother's funeral and all. On monday, Stubbs go down, Dickerson is re-instated.

An added benefit of Springer going on the DL could be that they could leave him on the DL, then a rehab assignment thru september 1st, then use the month of september to decide if Springer or his replacement or someone else should be left off the 25 man playoff roster (hopefully that's an option). Could be a way for a guy like Chapman to be on the 25 man roster prior to September 1st, but not have to worry if he's playoff roster worthy or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dickerson is up here on Friday.

People in the game thread have it right. Call up Homer in place of Springer and Chapman in place of Bray.

fearofpopvol1
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Is Springer for sure going on the DL? I haven't seen anything confirming that so I think we may be jumping the gun some.

medford
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM

People in the game thread have it right. Call up Homer in place of Springer and Chapman in place of Bray.

could be, he played for Louisville on Tuesday night, though the death was already known, sounded like sometime on monday night/tuesday morning. Getting back from Cali for an afternoon game on Friday would seem like an awfully quick turnaround for a funeral. I don't know his relationship, perhaps he wants to be there all weekend, perhaps he just wants to pay his last respects today & tomorrow morning, and thinks he grandmother would like him back in cincy playing in the majors. Each person deals w/ these situations in different ways, so Friday is definently a possibility.

medford
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Is Springer for sure going on the DL? I haven't seen anything confirming that so I think we may be jumping the gun some.

specualation at this point.

RedLegSuperStar
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Perhaps.. But I give you exibit A. Harang. Springer limped off the field per announcers and had visable mechanics issues.

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Why is everyone talking of Stubbs going down? did I miss something?

Is this why Stubbs has not played the last three days at all? Are they preparing him for a demotion?

Cedric
08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Why is everyone talking of Stubbs going down? did I miss something?

Is this why Stubbs has not played the last three days at all? Are they preparing him for a demotion?

Rolen pinch hit today on his day off in a 9-1 game instead of using Stubbs.

What's that tell ya?

guttle11
08-04-2010, 04:06 PM

What's that tell ya?

Not much, really. I could see Stubbs going down, but I don't think it's a given.

Cedric
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Not much, really. I could see Stubbs going down, but I don't think it's a given.

I guess it could mean Dusty was trying to clear his head for awhile, didn't think of that.

With the way Dickerson is hitting I think it's him going down though.

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM

What's that tell ya?

Why not send him down immediately then? Why leave him idle for three days straight? It is telling, I'm just questioning the manner in which they're doing it.

SirFelixCat
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Chapman is going to replace Bray, imo.

medford
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Why not send him down immediately then? Why leave him idle for three days straight? It is telling, I'm just questioning the manner in which they're doing it.

Perhaps there was a pretty good sense that Dickerson's grandmother was about to pass, so they we leaving him down there as long as possible so they wouldn't have to do a quick recall on a bereavement roster move. I don't know if her passing was sudden or not, but there's a possible reason. Dickerson's rehab time is up, so a roster move has to be made of some sort to get him back up here. Can't send heisey back down now, gomes isn't going down, I imagine he's out of options anyways, as is Nix who's hotter than a bear in heat. So that leaves either Stubbs or Bruce. I'm guessing Stubbs, as are many. It just makes too much sense at this point.

LincolnparkRed
08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
They also need to watch Rhodes. His career high in appearances was 72. He hit 52 today with 50+ games left. Dusty needs to figure out a lefty he can trust and soon.

guttle11
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I guess it could mean Dusty was trying to clear his head for awhile, didn't think of that.

With the way Dickerson is hitting I think it's him going down though.

I should say I do think Stubbs going down until September 1st is the most likely thing to happen. But, I also think it's possible Nix gets a DFA as well. He's been ok of late, but not essential. Dickerson is an upgrade over him. It could be that Nix getting a few starts of late is more than just matchups or Bruce's struggles. They might be shopping him, willing to do right by him by giving him a chance to keep playing in the bigs rather than a straight release.

Rojo
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM

That sounds right. When Harang comes off the DL, he can should take Leake's place. If Homer pitches well in the pen and Volquez struggles as a starter, you can flip 'em.

Nice having depth.

nemesis
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I should say I do think Stubbs going down until September 1st is the most likely thing to happen. But, I also think it's possible Nix gets a DFA as well. He's been ok of late, but not essential. Dickerson is an upgrade over him. It could be that Nix getting a few starts of late is more than just matchups or Bruce's struggles. They might be shopping him, willing to do right by him by giving him a chance to keep playing in the bigs rather than a straight release.

Zero chance that happens. He is OPSing .800 right now. Plays a plus defense at all 3 OF spots. Stays healthy. Has power from the left side. You don't DFA .800 OPS bench bats. You trade for them.

Homer Bailey
08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Zero chance that happens. He is OPSing .800 right now. Plays a plus defense at all 3 OF spots. Stays healthy. Has power from the left side. You don't DFA .800 OPS bench bats. You trade for them.

Except Nix is not a .800 OPS bat. He's a sub-.700 OPS bat for his career.

That being said, the Reds are not going to DFA him.

reds44
08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Stuff from Fay:
johnfayman Baker confirmed that Dickerson went to California for his grandmother's funeral. Will not join the club in Chicago. #reds

Springer said his hip flexor locked up. "I don't think it's serious. I didn't know you had a muscle there." #reds

BoydsOfSummer
08-04-2010, 07:06 PM
When you hit yer fourties, Russ old buddy, you start discovering all kinds of muscles you didn't know you had. And usually not in a good way.