PDA

View Full Version : An off-the-wall idea for the outfield

Redsfan320
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Francisco-Heisey-Nix
Left-Center-Right

Heisey bats 2nd, Francisco and Nix bat 5th and 6th, I don't really care which way, catcher bats 7th, SS bats 8th. Just for a while. It would certainly shake things up. What do you think?

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't think it looks like a playoff caliber outfield.

The reason being that Nix is a career .240 hitter in eight seasons; and Chris Heisey and Juan Francisco are extremely raw rookies--and I think once there's a little bit of a book developed on Chris Heisey, he's going to bottom out.

I think Francisco is a guy you can play in spells at 3B and as a 5th outfielder, but again, if we're complaining about holes in Gomes, Stubbs, and Bruce's game--just wait until you see Francisco playing every day at this level. He's much less refined than any of the three.

Redsfan320
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Just for a week maybe. As a sick experiment. I'm certainly not saying this is the answer in the outfield.

Tom Servo
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Francisco and Nix can't hit lefties.

edabbs44
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Just for a week maybe. As a sick experiment. I'm certainly not saying this is the answer in the outfield.

Not really the time for experiments.

nate
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4176/pdlartikel210.jpg

RedsManRick
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
As bad as a funk as Bruce is in, I'll take him over Nix 8 days a week.

Redsfan320
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Not really the time for experiments.

No it's not. But the OF is bad right now. Pulling Stubbs for Heisy was step one.

Also, keep in mind, this is all very hypothetical.

_Sir_Charles_
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
If we're looking for an off the wall idea for the outfield how about we see what Micah can do defensively out there?

Simply put, he's not a good enough pitcher to fit onto our staff. One of our previous staffs...sure, but not this one.

Redsfan320
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
If we're looking for an off the wall idea for the outfield how about we see what Micah can do defensively out there?

Another interesting idea.

TRF
08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd make exactly one move... I'd promote Dickerson and option Stubbs.

Then I'd platoon Dickerson and Gomes. Strict platoon.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do with Bruce other than let him work out of it.

The Voice of IH
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I am not sold on Francisco just yet, but the Reds need to do something with that lineup that gives up 2 easy outs in a row.

Spitball
08-04-2010, 08:26 PM
... but the Reds need to do something with that lineup that gives up 2 easy outs in a row.

See what edabbs44 said a few posts up. This is not a logical time to make desperation moves.

The Reds are in first place, are one win away from having the most wins in the National League, and lead the league in hitting. They have a few holes but the team has been successful.

If they are to patch a hole or two, let's hope they don't go experimenting.

Mario-Rijo
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Gomes/Heisey LF
Heisey/Dickerson CF
Bruce RF

You strict platoon Heisey and Dickerson in CF, when Heisey isn't in CF you play him in right, leave Bruce alone unless it's a tough lefty and then you play Heisey in RF, Dickerson in CF (perhaps down in the lineup) and Gomes in LF.

When Dickerson is playing:

Dickerson
BP
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Heisey
Hernandez/Hanny
Janish

When Dickerson isn't:

BP
Bruce
Votto
Rolen
Gomes
Heisey
Hernandez/Hanny
Janish

When Bruce isn't in the lineup:

BP
Votto
Rolen
Gomes
Heisey
Hernandez/Hanny
Dickerson
Janish

SMcGavin
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Seriously, what is up with Dickerson? Guy is killing it down in Louisville (almost 1.300 OPS!), and we know he can flash the leather. With the OF struggles in the big league club I'd have thought he'd be back up right away.

RedsManRick
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Seriously, what is up with Dickerson? Guy is killing it down in Louisville (almost 1.300 OPS!), and we know he can flash the leather. With the OF struggles in the big league club I'd have thought he'd be back up right away.

Word is that he would have been up for the Cubs series but he's in LA on bereavement due to the death of his Grandmother.

My off the wall idea -- trade for Carlos Beltran to play LF.

WVRed
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Word is that he would have been up for the Cubs series but he's in LA on bereavement due to the death of his Grandmother.

My off the wall idea -- trade for Carlos Beltran to play LF.

I'd go for Manny if the Dodgers became sellers.

It's really a rock and a hard place for both Bruce and Stubbs. On one hand, they are struggling at the plate, but defensively both contribute so much. Stubbs covers a lot of ground and Bruce has a rocket arm in RF.

I wish we had the depth to send Bruce and/or Stubbs to the minors for about 2-3 weeks to let them get their swing back.

edabbs44
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
My "off the wall" idea - Claim Dunn on waivers, if nothing else just to stop SF from getting him. If they get him, there's an answer. If not, stick.

If you can't get someone who makes complete sense, go with who got you here. Don't force it. I realize that it is kind of a controversial topic, but if the chemistry is rolling and the team is winning then why ruin a good thing? Beltran, from what NY is thinking, is a cancer on this Met team. You have guys in the Reds OF who we know can have success in the majors, let them do their thing. If Dickerson comes back, give him a few games and see what he has. Get Gomes in there when it seems like he has a good matchup. Nix/Bruce as well. Heisey should be playing almost every day until he shouldn't anymore. Stubbs can go down to AAA and get his crap together.

This is your team, unless you find yourself in a situation that you can't refuse. But no risks right now.

SMcGavin
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Thanks - I must have missed that.