PDA

View Full Version : Chapman Coming Up This Weekend?

reds44
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
From Buster Olney via twitter:
Spoke with Reds GM Walt Jocketty tonight, and he said he hasn't discussed possible promotion for the lefty with Dusty Baker in awhile, but he thinks they could have a conversation later in the week -- and they envision Chapman helping them in the late innings He was clocked as high as 103 mph twice on Tuesday night.

WVRed
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I like it if true.

Would definitely be something to throw at against the Cardinals.

reds44
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
If they're going to call him up in time for the Cardinals series, do him tomorrow and put him in at least one game at Wrigley so he's first major leauge game isn't against the Cardinals.

kbrake
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Olney was just on Baseball Tonight and made it sound like he wouldn't be up this weekend but that he most likely will be soon. I'd love to see him get some work in this weekend and be ready to go for Monday.

sabometrics
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
He'll be up before the Cardinals series. Can you imagine the hype then?

Even if it isn't that soon it still needs to be within the next 10 days. The FO has to see him show his stuff for a few weeks to decide if he's going to be carried on the playoff roster. His stuff and recent numbers in AAA demand that he gets a trial showing.

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I'll be in Cincy for all three games against the Marlins on the 13, 14th, and 15th. I hope Chapman's in the majors by then. I can't wait to see him pitch live for the first time.

I thought this was interesting:

I spoke with Class AAA coach Ted Power and he says a mechanical adjustment has helped Chapman. It's evident Chapman might be closer to the big leagues.

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

It's exciting having someone as talented as Chapman in the organization.

reds44
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Calling him up directly before the Cardinals series doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You won't see a ticket sales bump because all of those games are going to be sold out anyway. I'm not sure if you want your rookie making a debut in that important of a game, no matter how good he's supposed to be.

IMO he'll either be called up tomorrow or a week from tomorrow.

It'll also be interesting to see how Chapman's new mechanics translate when he becomes a starter again next year. Hopefully his control will stay as good as it's been lately.

CTA513
08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I can't wait to see him pitch I just hope hes able to throw strikes once hes called up.

TheNext44
08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Calling him up directly before the Cardinals series doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You won't see a ticket sales bump because all of those games are going to be sold out anyway. I'm not sure if you want your rookie making a debut in that important of a game, no matter how good he's supposed to be.

It'll also be interesting to see how Chapman's new mechanics translate when he becomes a starter again next year. Hopefully his control will stay as good as it's been lately.

I sure hope the Reds are using other factors besides ticket sales in their decision on when to call up Chapman.

top6
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Not that the team should be making decisions like this because of ticket sales, but based on the tickets I was able to buy from the Reds today (for Tuesday), I seriously doubt that Cards games will be sold out or close. I bet we are looking at crowds around 30-32,000. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I doubt Chapman creates an attendance bump if he's just pitching from the bullpen.

Homer Bailey
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't mean to insult Chapman's intelligence when I say this, but I think there is a strong chance that he will not understand the significance of pitching against the Cardinals. I'm not sure how much he's learned over the last 4 months, but when he came over, he indicated he knew little to none about the major leagues in general.

Tornon
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Maybe we should just have him send a couple 103 MPH fastballs into Pujols' side

RedsManRick
08-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Call me crazy, but I think ignorance is bliss. I'd prefer if he didn't have the weight of the past decade on his shoulders.

George Anderson
08-05-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't mean to insult Chapman's intelligence when I say this, but I think there is a strong chance that he will not understand the significance of pitching against the Cardinals. I'm not sure how much he's learned over the last 4 months, but when he came over, he indicated he knew little to none about the major leagues in general.

I think that could be a good thing. Alot less pressure if he doesn't really understand the significance of the game.

WVRedsFan
08-05-2010, 01:18 AM
If he doesn't start, and I don't think he will, the hype will not be that much. I am always wary of rookies. No matter the talent they are not there yet. I still remember the excitement of Jay Bruce coming up to the majors. Euphoria soon changed to chagrin among many Reds fans. I'd rather he be more ready than he is now for his sake as well as the fans.

camisadelgolf
08-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but the way I see it, based on his competitive nature, I think he'd have trouble grasping the 'insignificance' of facing teams that aren't the Cardinals.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Buster Olney has a great piece up on Chapman. Among the things mentioned are the tweaks Mario Soto and Ted Power made to his delivery which has resulted in Chapman throwing more strikes, and Jocketty mentions the possibility of Chapman pitching in the Arizona Fall League this fall as he makes the transition back to being a starting pitcher.

Here's a small tidbit. Click the link to the read the rest.

What the left-handed Chapman had done in the past, at the outset of his motion, was take a big step backward toward third base, with his weight shifting almost completely onto his right leg, and then he would stride forward, his weight swinging back toward his left leg. What Chapman began to do, at the behest of Power and Soto, was keep his head centered over his left leg as he took that stride back, so his weight shift wouldn't be so dramatic and he would have better balance. They also asked Chapman to keep his eyes locked onto the catcher's glove as long as possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook/_/page/bbtn100805/baseball-tonight-clubhouse

reds44
08-05-2010, 02:44 AM
I just don't understand what they're waiting for at this point. He was moved to the bullpen to help the Reds this year, otherwise they would have just left him as a starter and work it out in AAA. We're in August and he's dominating, he needs to be up here now.

It turns out that shifitng him to the bullpen may have been the best thing for both him and the Reds, though.

Great article.

medford
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM

He may not have known much about the Cardinals then, but I bet he knows the significance of pitching vs a team your battling w/ for 1st place.

I(heart)Freel
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's a reason TO bring him up:

Having another lefty in the 'pen to offset LaRussa's penchant for double switches would be quite nice.

Here's a reason NOT to bring him up:

If he is crucial to Reds post-season hopes, you'd like the Cards to see very little of him and therefore have less of a first-hand scouting report. Would be nice if the first time was the Labor Day weekend series in St. Lou.

Note: If we get into an ongoing game of trading hit-batsmen with the Pirates for the rest of the year, I would like Chapman to be standing in the bullpen. Ya know. Just to remind the Buccos who's down there, waiting, if the situation arises.

remdog
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Here's a reason TO bring him up:

Note: If we get into an ongoing game of trading hit-batsmen with the Pirates for the rest of the year, I would like Chapman to be standing in the bullpen. Ya know. Just to remind the Buccos who's down there, waiting, if the situation arises.

That's cold. (But I like it! ;) )

Rem

dfs
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Bill Bray has been as volatile as any pitcher on the staff.
If Chapman is achieving any kind of consistency at all, bring him up.
You don't want to ruin anybody, but it's August and they have to stop thinking developmentally and start thinking about winning the next two (or even better three) months.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2010, 10:17 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

At any point now, the phone could ring and summon Chapman to Cincinnati. In his last 10 appearances for Triple-A Louisville, the 22-year-old is 3-0 and has pitched 11 1/3 innings with one unearned run and six hits allowed. He has walked four and struck out 16 while opposing batters are hitting .150.

"We'd certainly feel comfortable bringing him up," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "He's doing well pitching in relief and seems to like it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100805&content_id=13068790&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

GoReds33
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
It's been awhile since I have posted but I have been lurking. But what kind of pitch speeds would we expect out of Chapman in the majors? I say this because we always hear over-hyped figures in regards to velocity in Louisville and even further down in the system. From Homer Bailey to Cueto, and more recently Edinson Volquez.

So if the figures they are reporting are 100-102, touching 103 are we safe to assume he will register around 98-100 when he is called up?

Chip R
08-05-2010, 11:18 PM
This just in...Chapman is still pitching for Louisville. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
This just in...Chapman is still pitching for Louisville. ;)

Don't be so sure.. He may still be listed as a member of the Bats pitching squad but he didn't pitch tonight in Homers amazing game and my guess is he was on a flight with translator to Chicago.

medford
08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
It's been awhile since I have posted but I have been lurking. But what kind of pitch speeds would we expect out of Chapman in the majors? I say this because we always hear over-hyped figures in regards to velocity in Louisville and even further down in the system. From Homer Bailey to Cueto, and more recently Edinson Volquez.

So if the figures they are reporting are 100-102, touching 103 are we safe to assume he will register around 98-100 when he is called up?

100+ if he lets it fly. I doubt Louisville is juicing the gun, but I also bet that most of those guys working on rehab stints or trying to prove themselves just rear back and let it fly a few times a game, while in the majors, they hold a little back to try and be a bit more accurate and hit their spots. Chapman was hitting 100+ in spring training, no doubt we'll see those speeds in the majors. Also keep in mind, when they say Chapman gets it up to 100+, its not like he's there all game, he may touch that a small handful of times, but most of the time he'll work in the mid to upper 90s w/ his fastball.

TRF
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
100+ if he lets it fly. I doubt Louisville is juicing the gun, but I also bet that most of those guys working on rehab stints or trying to prove themselves just rear back and let it fly a few times a game, while in the majors, they hold a little back to try and be a bit more accurate and hit their spots. Chapman was hitting 100+ in spring training, no doubt we'll see those speeds in the majors. Also keep in mind, when they say Chapman gets it up to 100+, its not like he's there all game, he may touch that a small handful of times, but most of the time he'll work in the mid to upper 90s w/ his fastball.

As a starter. Since he's been coming out of the pen it's been more upper 90's low 100's than mid 90's.

I shudder to think of it.

Homer Bailey
08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen an actual scout's gun at 103 for Aroldis. Not a stadium gun, an actual gun behind home plate.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Fay via Twitter when talking to Dusty:

If Springer goes to the DL then could we see Chapman? Baker said maybe.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Another nice inning from Chapman tonight as he picked up the save for Louisville. His line: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 16 pitches/9 strikes.

Last 10 appearances:

11.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 17 K

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Another nice inning from Chapman tonight as he picked up the save for Louisville. His line: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 16 pitches/9 strikes.

Last 10 appearances:

11.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 17 K

No thanks to Danny Ray... I'd be willing to be he is going to be near the top of the DFA category when its time to place Harang back on the 40 man roster.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Also him pitching tonight means we won't be seeing him tomorrow for the 1:05pm game..

sabometrics
08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
No thanks to Danny Ray... I'd be willing to be he is going to be near the top of the DFA category when its time to place Harang back on the 40 man roster.

Huh? Harang is already on the 40-man roster.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Huh? Harang is already on the 40-man roster.

and i've inserted my foot in my mouth... I thought he was on the 60 Day... sorry.

Big Klu
08-06-2010, 11:38 PM
and i've inserted my foot in my mouth... I thought he was on the 60 Day... sorry.

It's OK. The only players currently on the 60-day DL are Mike Lincoln, Jose Arredondo, and Chris Dickerson.

11larkin11
08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Sheldon says on Twitter he saw Carlos Fisher in lobby.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2010, 01:23 AM

I like Fisher but I wanted Chapman. I think he could really help the team out with the way he's been pitching. Hopefully he's up by next weekend.

TheNext44
08-07-2010, 02:00 AM

The Reds do need a guy who can go multiple innings, if Springer is out. I could still see Chapman replace Bray in time for the Cardinal series.

RedLegSuperStar
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
The Reds do need a guy who can go multiple innings, if Springer is out. I could still see Chapman replace Bray in time for the Cardinal series.

I'd think Chapman could give you more innings then Fisher. Do we forget Chapman is a starter converted to relief.