PDA

View Full Version : Watch the game?

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I watch a vast majority of the games on TV and from time to time get down to Cincy watch in person. I normally watch the entire game & quite intently, I have a DVR so I will at times run a game back some to double or even triple check things. My question is simple how many of you see most of the games either live or on TV, how intently do you watch the nuances of the game and not just the result of a particular play? How many games do you actually watch?

My point here is I see an awful lot of Reds baseball and I can't for the life of me understand why so many seem to be watching something else.

redsfaninbsg
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM
100 plus each season. My attention varies depending on who I'm with during the game. I live nearly five hours a way but make it to 9 or 10 games a year, depending on how the team is doing. I've got MLB Extra Innings, MLB TV (for work), MLB at bat on my phone, and XM for the car. I love me some Reds, which is why this year has been so great. I just hope they continue, I'm coming up next week for the St. Louis series for the last time this regular season.

nate
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Just ask my wife!

:cool:

I watch about 80-90% of the games that are on TV. I'm usually in chat so if there's a replay or something noteworthy, someone will notice it and take a look.

WVRedsFan
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Probably, I miss no more than 5 or 6 games that are on FS-Ohio and get up to GABP a couple of times a year. It's a nightly routine and on days like this--no game--I am lost as to what to do in the evening.

The reason you see things differently is because every person has a different perspective on what they've seen. It's the human condition.

George Anderson
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I have 2 little kids so I usually always have the game on but not always following closely. I also have the Directv MLB package, so in the past years come August I am usually watching teams that are somewhat competive which of course the Reds of late usually aren't. This year I pretty much only watch the Reds and few late night west coast games.

It is nice to be experiencing a pennant race after all these years.

Reds Fanatic
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I watch 100+ games a year. I usually only miss watching games when work or some other activity is at the same time. I usually attend about 4 to 5 games a year (Reds are 4-0 this year in the games I have attended). I also subscribe to Extra Innings so I follow a lot of baseball even when the Reds are not on.

Edskin
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I live in Oklahoma, and in the past, I'd say I watched about 150 of the games live in a given season. Since my business took off a bit and my daughter was born, that has become more of a challenge. But thank heavens for the DVR!

Now, I watch 1-2 games per week live on TV...most always the Sunday game. The other games I watch on DVR....I'm very psycho about not seeing a score or anything before I watch....which stinks when the games matter like they do now. I will normally go through our evening routine and once the kiddo is in bed, I settle in to watch...this is usually around 9:00-9:30 central time, so the Reds game is normally over by the time I start watching. I speed through commercials and stoppages in play. If I'm really tired, sometimes I will fast forward through half-innings, etc...

Bottom line, ideally I'd love to just plop down on the couch each night and watch live, but that's not my reality thesedays....but I'm still not willing to give it up and just check the score....the DVR has saved me for sure.

I'm still watching 150+ games per year, just a few hours later than most of you :)

Should we get into late Sept/Oct though, the DVR will not be acceptable.

cumberlandreds
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
The years I had MLBEI with DISH I watched nearly every game. That was during some bad years too,2004,2005. DISH dropped that package but I just switched to DirecTV in June and subscribed to the half season package. I have watched nearly every game. I ususally have to DVR the last few innings of games during the week and watch the next day. I can't stay up to watch the entire game because of having to get up so early for work. Everyone has their own perspective when they are watching. It has always amazed me what people see. Many times I ask myself "Did I watch the same game as they did? " :)

reds1869
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I watch every game unless I have to be at work or some other obligation. Much like the OP I rewind plays on the DVR when I'm watching on TV, but I much prefer to be at GABP when the Reds are in town.

_Sir_Charles_
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I watch a vast majority of the games on TV and from time to time get down to Cincy watch in person. I normally watch the entire game & quite intently, I have a DVR so I will at times run a game back some to double or even triple check things. My question is simple how many of you see most of the games either live or on TV, how intently do you watch the nuances of the game and not just the result of a particular play? How many games do you actually watch?

My point here is I see an awful lot of Reds baseball and I can't for the life of me understand why so many seem to be watching something else.

Everytime they're on, I watch them VERY intently. Unfortunately, this means I get to see them play the Cubs (WGN), the Astros (local), and any nationally televised game (thanks to the MLB Network is more often than previously). This season, thanks to the extra innings trial I also got a few extra weeks of non-stop Reds action.

But normally, it's Gameday, WLW audio and my imagination like when I was a kid listening to Marty & Joe.

For those who live up there, I don't get not watching when you can. But to each his own.

Homer Bailey
08-05-2010, 11:35 AM
MLB.tv for me when I'm at home, MLB Gameday audio on my blackberry when I'm in the car, and condensed games on mlb.com for the games that I miss.

Usually I'll do a split screen on my laptop when both the Reds and the Cards are on, which is a pretty cool feature.

edabbs44
08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I have only been able to watch games in May this year. Is Gomes still an MVP candidate?

HeatherC1212
08-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I probably catch about 75-80% of the games each season. This has improved greatly now that I finally have cable with FSN Ohio (we didn't have cable up until a few years ago so I couldn't watch anything but the Fox national games before that). The only times I miss games on TV are when I'm out of town, during the last part of the TV season when my TV shows are airing their season/series finales (usually I just watch that show and then go back to the game...there aren't many nights where there's more than one show I'm following so I still catch most of the game), and I also tend to miss some games in September when my fave shows come back for their premieres. I always flip back to the game during commercials though so that has to count for something, LOL :p:

I've been down to GABP nine times this season (my record: 6-3) and my next game is going to be during the Cardinals series. I haven't figured out which game yet but I only have to find one ticket so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. :)

muddie
08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I have the MLB Extra Innings package here. I have a tough work schedule for seeing a lot of games but subscribe anyway to see certain guys play. I think my wife would say that I watch pretty intently because when I am watching the game I am often audibly agreeing with something on the field or voicing my opinion on why I don't agree. I do critique players often and enjoy picking up on the small stuff that the guys do that seem to stand out to me.
The guys are in first place and haven't heard a word I've said all year so I guess they know what they're doing;)

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I attend about 10 games a year and watch around 130 games on TV. Usually the only time I miss a game on TV is if I'm on vacation or am doing something else like bowling in my league, but even then the TV at the bowling alley is usually tuned in to the Reds game.

LoganBuck
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I really only watch the games when I have time, and typically the last few innings, because I work most days until around 9pm.

However I catch every radio broadcast until at least the sixth or seventh inning.

Redsfan320
08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
There are probably 10 games or so that I just miss completely. Then, depending on how the game is going, I will often flip back and forth, watching different things some. And of course, I'm at a few.

sabometrics
08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I work at (almost) every home game, so I spend a good amount of time kneeling with my back to the action, and I frequently have to come home and look at all the highlights over again because stuff was so busy at the stadium I wasn't able to keep pace with the action. This is happening more often now with the bigger crowds. I have taken off 3 games to go and sit and enjoy a game with friends/family.

I watch every away game, every pitch, on TV if it is televised. If it's not televised I have the radio on and gameday up on my laptop.

westofyou
08-05-2010, 06:01 PM
When I worked at home I would see about 140 Reds games and about another 150 games during the evening or day. Now that I work out of the home I've seen about 70% of the Reds games and usually part of another game in the evening, so chances are I'm seeing about 30% less baseball this year than the past decade.

George Anderson
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I work at (almost) every home game, so I spend a good amount of time kneeling with my back to the action, and I frequently have to come home and look at all the highlights over again because stuff was so busy at the stadium I wasn't able to keep pace with the action. This is happening more often now with the bigger crowds. I have taken off 3 games to go and sit and enjoy a game with friends/family.

I watch every away game, every pitch, on TV if it is televised. If it's not televised I have the radio on and gameday up on my laptop.

Are you an usher or vendor?

camisadelgolf
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I go to about 20 games per season and watch the majority of at least half the games from home. It's not uncommon for me to multi-task while viewing, but I'm generally very attentive.

sabometrics
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM

Vendor.

BCubb2003
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Bullpen catcher? Dusty? Let's play "What's My Line" ...

Tom Servo
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I get FSN Tennesse feed here and they broadcast any game broadcast on FSN Ohio. I miss maybe one and sometimes two in a week.

Red in Chicago
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I have Directv's MLB package, so I probably see 150 Reds games per year.

I take my parents to Cincy for at least one series against the Cubs. Then a trip or two to either Wrigley or Milwaukee for a game. I wish we played the Pale Hose more often. Games are much more enjoyable to watch there, than Wrigley.

CrackerJack
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm local, a FT student for now, and am blacked-out from any video or internet broadcasts. I just can't nor do I want to afford an extra $50 a month for the cable tier needed to get Fox Sports OH. I never watch cable TV so it would be quite literally paying $50 a month to watch the Reds. Just can't do it until I get out of school at least.

LoganBuck
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm local, a FT student for now, and am blacked-out from any video or internet broadcasts. I just can't nor do I want to afford an extra $50 a month for the cable tier needed to get Fox Sports OH. I never watch cable TV so it would be quite literally paying $50 a month to watch the Reds. Just can't do it until I get out of school at least.

Find out where the TV's are that show the game, bars, restaurants, etc.

Redsfan320
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM

BTW, if you also can't listen on radio, you can at the very least follow along on mlb.com's gameday. It's inside the scoreboard section.

GADawg
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm in Georgia so I don't make it up there anymore but I never miss televised game. I usually don't get in 'til around 9 at night but I TiVo every game so I don't miss anything. I fast forward through commercials and Jay Bruce ab's and on a good night I catch up with the live broadcast by the end.

Day games are tough because of a couple of golf buddies who are Cardinals fans...they like to text me when the Reds are losing and it makes it almost impossible to watch the game if I already know they've lost.

reds44
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I have only been able to watch games in May this year. Is Gomes still an MVP candidate?
Hahahahaha I love it.

I've had MLB.tv since it came out. I can remmeber back in the day before MLB.TV listening to everygame I could on gameday audio.

I normally watch just about every game I can until September and then once football starts and we're out of the race my viewing kind of tapers off.

This year, I can probably count on my two hands the game I missed. I'll probably watch 140+ this year.

BoydsOfSummer
08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I seldom watch them live. I DVR them and watch them commercial free. Really speeds up the time cosumption. I'll even speed through pitches sometimes. Avoiding hearing/reading scores is the main problem with this approach. It really sucks hearing the score when you know you have it ready to watch on DVR. ;)

Scrap Irony
08-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Love the DVR, too. I'll watch every game that's broadcast (thanks to my wife). I'll go to 10 or 12 this year. Maybe more, depending on availability of tickets and the family's approval/ desire to go to major league games rather than minor league.

We usually hit at least one Bat game a week, a Dayton weekend or two, and another park, too. This year, we went to Bowling Green to see the Hot Rods. (Great stadium. Poor team. Small beers.)

macro
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
With three small children, I'm usually relegated to recording on the DVR and then forwarding to the scoring plays and threatening situations. I see how all the runs are scored, but miss a lot of significant plays each game.

If my wife has no interest in the TV on a given night, I'll watch every pitch. But if the TV is tied up until later in the night and it starts getting late, I'll end up doing the fast-forward thing.

BCubb2003
08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Do those of you who DVR the games find yourself rooting for a hit or out, even though you know the game has already happened?

Heath
08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Do those of you who DVR the games find yourself rooting for a hit or out, even though you know the game has already happened?

I still watch ESPN Classic hoping Carlton Fisk's HR goes foul. Or Rich Karlis's kick go wide left.

Roy Tucker
08-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I still watch ESPN Classic hoping Carlton Fisk's HR goes foul. Or Rich Karlis's kick go wide left.

Back in the day, I heard a replay of the Red Right 88 Browns-Raiders playoff game on Cleveland radio. The NFL was on strike (must have been '82) so they were airing replays of famous games on Sundays.

It was a complete replay of the game except for the fatal last Brian Sipe pass. The announcer went "Sipe fades back, he thows, its off Mike Davis' fingertips, Newsome makes the catch, Touchdown!!! Browns win!!! Browns win!!!".

OMG. Holy crap. I about drove off the road I was yelling and laughing so loud.

Roy Tucker
08-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Earlier in the season, I was making a "best effort" to watch the TV games. Which meant if I needed to run errands or there was some pressing chore around the house, that took precedence. Pretty much my modus operandi for the last 10 years.

But probably since about the beginning of June, I've been watching all the games. I might miss an inning or 2 here and there, but I'm pretty well glued to the set these days. I watch quite intently and talk to the TV a lot. Plus woo-hoo and cheer and swear a lot.

In case anyone noticed, the Reds are in the thick of a pennant race. This is as good as it gets and everything a baseball fan can hope for. I'm just having a ball with this team.

gO RedZ!!!

Scrap Irony
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM

I don't root so much as get angry when someone pulls a bonehead move. I mutter a lot when, for example, someone doesn't get a runner in from third with less than two out. Even if I know the final score.

macro
08-07-2010, 10:09 AM

I make sure I don't know the outcome or any details before I watch, so I still get nervous in certain situations. Sometimes I stop and think "I'm nervous about how this is going to turn out while there are millions of people who already know and the rest who don't care."

Edskin
08-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I make sure I don't know the outcome or any details before I watch, so I still get nervous in certain situations. Sometimes I stop and think "I'm nervous about how this is going to turn out while there are millions of people who already know and the rest who don't care."

Ditto. It's the same with me when I DVR a game...I'll be sitting there with butterflies during a tense situation and think, "this has already happened, the folks on Redszone are already analyzing what I'm about to witness."

It's kind of weird.

VR
08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I have the Fox package...so, if the Reds are on and I'm home....the game is being watched. The advent of DVR has been fantastic. With games starting at 4 PST, I often get home partway through the game. If I don't know the result/score....I will watch it on DVR. If the game is over, I usually don't go back and watch more than the highlights, unless is was an 'instant' classic.

I'm guessing I've seen more Reds games in person and on TV than any Reds fan....without ever attending a 'home' game at Riverfront or GAPB.

SirFelixCat
08-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm kinda shocked that I'm the exception, not the rule. I have watched every inning that has been televised (ie. blackouts on Sat & Sun.) thanks to the EI package and my DVR. Well, it helps not living in Vegas anymore too, w/ 6 teams blacking us out there.

So when I make comments, esp. regarding Bruce's lack of progression etc. I feel that I have a legit leg to stand on, etc.