PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox looking for a left-handed 1B...

Rhody Red
08-06-2010, 01:57 AM
...to platoon with Mike Lowell now that Youkilis is out for the year. The management and fans are way, way down on Jacoby Ellsbury (out almost all year with 5 mis-diagnosed broken ribs). It also was interesting when Lester and Youkilis basically hung him out to dry with their comments. Seems they kind of questioned his intestinal fortitude. He's due to make some $$$ soon if I'm not mistaken. But seriously, how much can he be asking for (Boras is now his agent---so the moon, of course) having missed so much of the season? I'm sure the Sox would like an established veteran, but I would be very interested in an extremely fast leadoff left or center fielder on this club be it this year or for the future. He will be 27 next month. What about offering them Yonder Alonso and a sweetener or two? Lars Anderson is their best 1B prospect and has struggled for two years in a row now. Ellsbury had a .300 average and 70 stolen bases just last year. Nice lift to his left handed swing wouldn't be bad at GAB either. He's also very good with the glove. Thoughts? I'm new by the way, though I've been lurking for years. God, that sounds so creepy. Hello to all.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 02:10 AM
I think any deal that includes Alonso should fetch us more than that.

Rhody Red
08-06-2010, 02:22 AM
They are talking about making Papelbon available as well with flamethrower Josh Bard waiting in the wings. He's pricey, though. Just saying.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 02:28 AM
I guess I'd need to know how long we could keep him for a decent rate and why his teammates are publicly calling him out.

urdun
08-06-2010, 02:40 AM
they will probably end up using Salty or Martinez at 1st. not sure I'd do alonso for ellsbury, not sure i woudn't either. tell me more.

davereds24
08-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Trades like that can't happen now. Neither player would clear waivers. Also, the Sox are probably going to sign Carlos Delgado, the last thing they would want to do is trade for a rookie when they are trying to close the gap on the Yankees and Rays.

Rhody Red
08-06-2010, 02:58 AM
He pretty much got tackled by Adrian Beltre going for a popup and hurt his ribs in April. The quote from the Sox medical team was to the effect of, "We don't x-ray bruises." Upon further review, turns out the guy had 5 cracked ribs. Ribs tend to heal within a couple of months according to most doctors. So the fact that he hadn't gotten back in the lineup in about 3 1/2 months (and chose to do his rehab in Arizona where he lives, instead of hanging with the team) while the rest of his team were running windsprints into the ambulance didn't sit too well with some of the vets. Lester and Lowell both have beaten Cancer. Captain Varitek is as old school as it gets. Pedroia, Beckett, and Youkilis are legendary red-asses. Throw in old pros like Mike Cameron, Victor Martinez, Adrian Beltre, Tim Wakefield, and David Ortiz and that's a pretty tough room. Come to think of it...how has Ironman JD (Nancy) Drew been there so long?

Rhody Red
08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
I realize that trades require waivers now, but I'm hoping Walt does some homework on this subject in the offseason. I wouldn't mind a poor-man's Johnny Damon heading into his prime if the price were plausible. Just remember, his legs didn't get hurt. That kind of elite speed and ability to hit for average at the top of the order is a nice skill-set to have.

davereds24
08-06-2010, 05:18 AM
So you say the Sox need a LH bat to platoon with Lowell, then you say look at this in the offseason?

The Reds aren't going to give up on Stubbs yet, he will be the CF next year. Youk will be at 1B for the Sox next year. Hopefully Stubbs can learn how to spray the ball around like Ellsbury does.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 08:27 AM
.286/.332/.381

Thats his road OPS.

Hes had 20 more doubles at home in 50 less PA playing in fenway. Safe to say the wall helps him a ton.

Drew Stubbs and Ellsbury really arent that much different value and quite frankly stubbs has plenty of room to grow.

Griffey012
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
.286/.332/.381

Thats his road OPS.

Hes had 20 more doubles at home in 50 less PA playing in fenway. Safe to say the wall helps him a ton.

Drew Stubbs and Ellsbury really arent that much different value and quite frankly stubbs has plenty of room to grow.

It's not like GABP is cavernous in left field compared to Fenway though. A fair amount of monster balls in Fenway would probably be home runs here.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
It's not like GABP is cavernous in left field compared to Fenway though. A fair amount of monster balls in Fenway would probably be home runs here.

Hes hit more homers in fenway also in less ABs.

The point is though that he is more likely to be that road bat than he is the home bat simply because he wont have free doubles like he and most players get in fenway.

Honestly I wouldnt trade Yonder for an outfielder that probably isnt going to bring all that more value than what the Reds currently have. Not to mention the room for growth Stubbs still has that Ellsbury likely doesnt.

Stubbs has some big flaws and is still a similar OPS player. The difference is Jacoby is the Cabrera version, and Stubbs is the more Adam Dunn like. Ultimately the upgrade wont be massive although his OBP does look nice I think Stubbs can put that number up once he gets a little more time in the majors. He has had basically 1/3 of the PA that Ellsbury has had.

Rhody Red
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I hope Stubbs improves and Bruce gets his head together someday as well. But a legitimate leadoff hitter is a precious commodity. The man lead the league in steals two years in a row on a team notorious for not running. Without him they are currently last in the majors in SB's. He moved to left for Cameron this year so LF remains a possibility for the future. His playoff experience would be beneficial as well. I'm not saying he's the answer, but more of an interesting option at this point. Maybe not for Alonso this year, but for someone else in the future. When was the last time we had a true top of the order burner? Sorry if I'm all over the map with this post, but I happen to like the kid's skills. I got to watch him a ton the past few years as all I get locally is NESN. He can certainly be a game changer.

Vottomatic
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Danny Dorn?