PDA

View Full Version : If you're Jocketty, just how much would it take for you to trade Votto?

Redsfan320
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Just curious.

mth123
08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
With Alonso coming and Votto a couple years away from $15 Million plus, we may see this play out at some point. I hope not, but it wouldn't shock me and if they wait until the big bucks have arrived, they won't get as much as we think.

jojo
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Alot.

TheNext44
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Let's put it this way. I wouldn't trade him for the Royals or the Pirates.

Mario-Rijo
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I know it would sound homerish but if I were Jocketty I wouldn't trade him period. At least short of another player that I felt was of his ilk at a more premium defensive position. What I mean by ilk though doesn't just mean production wise, he'd have to bring similar measurables & similar intangibles. Think Joe Mauer, Derek Jeter, Albert Pujols, Chase Utley etc. Not those guys but guys along those lines (ok maybe Mauer).

Mario-Rijo
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Let's put it this way. I wouldn't trade him for the Royals or the Pirates.

How about together? Mcutchen and Greinke?

membengal
08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson and Logan Morrison.

_Sir_Charles_
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Erik Bedard for Votto and Bailey.

Wait...what year is this again?

nate
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
The other team would have to vastly overpay.

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
If Joey Votto isn't untouchable at this point, there is no such thing and the word loses weight in the future. If you can't build around a guy like that, there's no sense ever telling your fan base that you're going to build around 'X' player.

Dan
08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
If Joey Votto isn't untouchable at this point, there is no such thing and the word loses weight in the future. If you can't build around a guy like that, there's no sense ever telling your fan base that you're going to build around 'X' player.

No player is untouchable if moving him will improve the club.

Jpup
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
no one would give what I would want in return.

The Voice of IH
08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
It would take an Ace Pitcher, A solid Pitcher, a good bat and a minor league bat.

durl
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM

True. The key is, how do you make the Reds better by trading a legitimate MVP candidate? You've got to get Votto's talent level back in return and then some. IMO, that's going to be difficult.

Hoosier Red
08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Tim Lincecum and even then I probably say no.

oneupper
08-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Cesar Gerónimo AND Frank Robinson.

You can keep Ed Armbrister.

RedsManRick
08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Nobody is untouchable from a baseball perspective, but I'd need 3 top 50 prospects to even think about it. A combo of Dan Haren and Mike Trout would get me curious.

That said, politically, you can't trade him. I can only imagine how unsettling it would be for the clubhouse and with a fanbase finally re-engaging with the team.

Blimpie
08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
No player is untouchable if moving him will improve the club.Sounds like a pretty good mantra; however, those had better be thoughful decisions when you are getting this much production out of somebody making $500K per year.

Roy Tucker
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
I just don't think you trade him for anyone right now because of the reasons RMR gave. It would be the utmost of a cold-blooded throat-slashing deal to make and would kill the team. I can't envision any scenarios where they would trade him.

But, he's on a 1 yr. $525k contract now. I think he's arbitration eligible in 2011. It's going to take some serious coin to re-sign him. How long and for how much are big questions. Also, Alonso is in the wings. Jocketty will have to earn his keep on this deal.

But Votto is the kind of guy you want as a cornerstone of the team. Any deal for Votto now has to be just an absolute slobberknocker of a deal. It would have to be for another young budding superstar, like a Ted Williams for Joe Dimaggio deal.

TRF
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Strasburg, Storen, Harper, Desmond and Willingham.

yeah, that would do it. They'd have to sign Harper and make him a ptbnl, but yeah... I'd do that.

TheNext44
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
True. The key is, how do you make the Reds better by trading a legitimate MVP candidate? You've got to get Votto's talent level back in return and then some. IMO, that's going to be difficult.

Exactly.

No combination of prospects would do it, since losing Votto right now without replacing most of his production on the major league team would take the team out of contention for next few years.

mdccclxix
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
This would be a relevant question if the Reds were like the Pirates, but they're not, they have lot's of young talent at every MLB position with more to come in the next few years.

Joseph
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
This may be one of those fun threads to read in a couple seasons.

George Anderson
08-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Votto is only 27 and an MVP caliber player. You are always looking for pitching but with the pitching this organization has I don't see the need to move Votto for pitching. Votto is almost untradeable.

bucksfan2
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
What it would take to get Pujols and then more.

Cedric
08-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Nobody is untouchable from a baseball perspective, but I'd need 3 top 50 prospects to even think about it. A combo of Dan Haren and Mike Trout would get me curious.

That said, politically, you can't trade him. I can only imagine how unsettling it would be for the clubhouse and with a fanbase finally re-engaging with the team.

Actually the no "untouchable" thing is hogwash. Joey Votto at this pay rate is not getting traded under any circumstance.

GoReds
08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Grienke, Gordon and a top prospect would have my interest - particularly if Harang could be included.

reds44
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez, Troy Tulo, and Carlos Gonzalez.

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Who are you going to get to improve the club? I think through the next four years at least, maybe 5 or 6, Joey Votto could be the most productive offensive player in baseball.

I've had this discussion with a lot of friends who are non Reds fans. Basically, they see a guy who's going to put up Pujols numbers from the LH side of the plate; who is four years younger and in a better hitting ballpark.

Aside from not being extremely marketable in a way that a Jeter or a Longoria is (debate that how you want), I don't know of any player in baseball who improve the club or organization more. You can't justify that we 'need' pitching anymore.

So , he's untouchable.

Cedric
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Exactly the reason he wouldn't ever be traded.

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I wanted to point out that he's not yet 27 for over another month. This is considered just his age 26 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vottojo01.shtml

Brutus
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Exactly the reason he wouldn't ever be traded.

Being untouchable, though, is not the same as whether or not someone will ultimately be traded. Being untouchable, in a practical sense, means a club will never even field an offer for a player. No one is saying it's likely or even possible the Reds' would field an offer that yields enough in return to trade Votto--simply that they should be willing to listen to anything, and if the right deal were to come along, consider it.

TheNext44
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Who are you going to get to improve the club? I think through the next four years at least, maybe 5 or 6, Joey Votto could be the most productive offensive player in baseball.

I've had this discussion with a lot of friends who are non Reds fans. Basically, they see a guy who's going to put up Pujols numbers from the LH side of the plate; who is four years younger and in a better hitting ballpark.

Aside from not being extremely marketable in a way that a Jeter or a Longoria is (debate that how you want), I don't know of any player in baseball who improve the club or organization more. You can't justify that we 'need' pitching anymore.

So , he's untouchable.

It really is a matter of semantics, but there are plenty of combinations of players that teams could offer for Votto that I would take. The issue is that no team would ever actually make such an offer.

So, Votto isn't untouchable, just not going to be traded. Like I said, semantics.

Johnny Footstool
08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
It's fun to start piling up the names of the best players on other teams, but realistically, offensive production at 1B is *relatively* easy to replace. At least easier than SS.

If a team offered a can't-miss shortstop and a TOR starter, I would jump on that deal.

Honestly, if the Rockies ever offered Troy Tulowitski straight-up for Votto, I would seriously consider it.