PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty on Chapman, Dickerson, Guillen

reds44
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
From Fay:
Dickerson is "probably" ready. #Reds would have to open 40-man spot. Jocketty: "You don't expect me to tell what we're going to do"

Asked Jocketty about JGuillen: "I don't know. I haven't talked to our people yet." #reds

Springer to get MRI for sore hip. Asked Jocketty if Chapman would be call-up if it's a DL injury, said "maybe".

westofyou
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Just say no to Guillen

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Just got back from lunch... can someone give me a quick update on Guillen?

edabbs44
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM

He's not worth it

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

KC DFA'd him yesterday and he is actually drawing decent interest.. Bad July is part of his latest move.. Then you have the club house presence.

TheNext44
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
When motivated, Guillen is a force, especially in GABP. But if he's not, he's a negative. Definitely would not give up anything to get him, and only a very waek maybe even if he's free.

But baseball history is lined with veterans at the end of their career, picked up by a contender in August, and helping them get to the playoffs.

alexad
08-06-2010, 02:41 PM
We could pick up Guillen and then trade him to Oakland for Harang, oh wait....already been down that road. I will take Johnny G over Guillen any day.

CTA513
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

He'll be a good addition if the Reds need to demo the clubhouse.

TheNext44
08-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I have to admit, I'm getting a little tingly thinking about Chapman coming up pitching for Reds against the Cardinals.

RedsMan3203
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Does Guillen still have a cannon of an arm? He could be one to help split some time in RF until Bruces head gets back on.... But, I'd still be careful with that...

Kc61
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
We could pick up Guillen and then trade him to Oakland for Harang, oh wait....already been down that road. I will take Johnny G over Guillen any day.

I could see Guillen as a platoon with Bruce in RF.

Guillen's numbers against lefties aren't great so far this year, but he is a righty bat and that would probably improve.

Doubt it will happen, but that would be one way of using Guillen.

bucksfan2
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't realize how bad he has been in KC over the past 2+ years. But then again I wouldn't have a problem with .290/.353/.460 that he posted in Seattle a few years ago.

flyer85
08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Probably still in KC urinating all over town.

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Does Guillen still have a cannon of an arm? He could be one to help split some time in RF until Bruces head gets back on.... But, I'd still be careful with that...

How's a split or platoon get Bruce's head right again? I think you either demote the kid or play him every day. Sitting him half the time won't help.

KoryMac5
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Bruce's stock has plummeted if folks are considering platooning him with Jose Guillen. Guillen is streaky hitter with a bad attitude, right now he is as cold as ice but the attitude is still there. I'd rather play Bruce everyday than deal with Jose.

westofyou
08-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I didn't realize how bad he has been in KC over the past 2+ years. But then again I wouldn't have a problem with .290/.353/.460 that he posted in Seattle a few years ago.

He's been a DH too, his fielding has left the building while his ego hasn't.

I'd place a Milo sticker on him and move on

flyer85
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd place a Milo sticker on him and move on
or if not make sure you wear a raincoat.

Kc61
08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
How's a split or platoon get Bruce's head right again? I think you either demote the kid or play him every day. Sitting him half the time won't help.

Reds are trying to win a pennant, not worrying too much about anyone's "head" right now.

Guillen probably isn't the right guy, but a professional righty bat to platoon with Bruce for the rest of this season would be a helpful move IMO.

Let Bruce get his confidence hitting against righties.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Jose Guillen? No thanks. He's more of a DH now and he has trouble getting on base.

reds44
08-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds like Dickerson and/or Chapman could be on their way up:

m_sheldon No postgame roster moves announced for #reds. Baker said things will be discussed later at team hotel

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm just not a big fan of sending Stubbs down. He's a streaky player and right now he's in one of those funks, but he's been in them before and has bounced back. Just a little over two weeks ago Stubbs was OPSing .753 which is pretty darn good for a center fielder.

RedsMan3203
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds like Dickerson and/or Chapman could be on their way up:

If Springer lands on the DL, then Chapman will be called....

Come Monday, if Springer is still here and isn't going to hit the DL then Bray goes down and Chapman comes up.

Dickerson probably won't be here until Sunday if not Monday.

RedsManRick
08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm just not a big fan of sending Stubbs down. He's a streaky player and right now he's in one of the funks, but he's been in them before and has bounced back. Just a little over two weeks ago Stubbs was OPSing .753 which is pretty darn good for a center fielder.

I agree, but if Dusty won't use him, it's a wasted spot and he's not getting the PA he needs.

I(heart)Freel
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
The more revealing splits are Guillen and Gomes' home/away stats.... at least the batting avgs.

Gomes LOVES home cooking (296 home/249 away). Guillen likes to eat out (237 home/272 away).

Oh yea, and even though they're both righties, Guillen actually hits righties much better than Gomes. It's not the worst platoon scenario in the world. But I still don't see it happening.

11larkin11
08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm all for a Springer for Chapman switch, I think Stubbs is more valuable than Dickerson, but at this point, I wouldn't mind Stubbs getting his feet back under him for a month then coming back and trying to steal his job back in September. I'm not a big Dickerson fan, and I think Dickerson killing AAA pitching is getting people a little bit too excited. I'd rather see Yonder up to play LF, I've emphatically stated I couldn't give a crap about LF defense if he rakes behind Rolen.

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I think the Stubbs/Dickerson debate is the playoff roster. I'm sure the Reds are going to want both on the roster come September 1st. I got to believe the want to see how hot Nix stays and if he's worth keeping or not. I'm ok with DFA'ing him but the Reds may not. Personally I think if and injury presents itself they have a better option then Nix in AAA in Dorn. Heck, Francisco could be the power bat off the bench. You can't help but enjoy these types of dilemas.

Big Klu
08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I think the Stubbs/Dickerson debate is the playoff roster. I'm sure the Reds are going to want both on the roster come September 1st. I got to believe the want to see how hot Nix stays and if he's worth keeping or not. I'm ok with DFA'ing him but the Reds may not. Personally I think if and injury presents itself they have a better option then Nix in AAA in Dorn. Heck, Francisco could be the power bat off the bench. You can't help but enjoy these types of dilemas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds send a pitcher or two down on August 31, and add an extra bat to the bench. (I doubt that the Reds will need 12 pitchers on the postseason roster in a short series.) Whatever pitcher they send down would still be eligible for postseason play since Lincoln and Arredondo are both on the 60-day DL, and the guy that is sent down could be named as a replacement for either of them.

cincrazy
08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm just not a big fan of sending Stubbs down. He's a streaky player and right now he's in one of those funks, but he's been in them before and has bounced back. Just a little over two weeks ago Stubbs was OPSing .753 which is pretty darn good for a center fielder.

Drew Stubbs is simply killing this team right now. I don't think his defense is good enough to make up for his horrible approach and execution at the plate. Heisey is the better player at the moment, and Stubbs should be working on his game at AAA.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Drew Stubbs is simply killing this team right now. I don't think his defense is good enough to make up for his horrible approach and execution at the plate. Heisey is the better player at the moment, and Stubbs should be working on his game at AAA.

17 days ago Stubbs had above average numbers for a center fielder. He's in a slump right now. I expect him to come out of it like he has in previous times. I would be fine with platooning Stubbs/Dickerson in CF in an effort to cut down on some of the streakiness. I also agree that Heisey needs to play more. I think our best outfield right now is Heisey in LF, Stubbs/Dickerson in CF, and Bruce in RF. Gomes can start for Bruce against tough lefties. On days that Gomes starts, Heises shifts to RF and Gomes plays LF.

reds44
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
17 days ago Stubbs had above average numbers for a center fielder. He's in a slump right now. I expect him to come out of it like he has in previous times. I would be fine with platooning Stubbs/Dickerson in CF in an effort to cut down on some of the streakiness. I also agree that Heisey needs to play more. I think our best outfield right now is Heisey in LF, Stubbs/Dickerson in CF, and Bruce in RF. Gomes can start for Bruce against tough lefties. On days that Gomes starts, Heises shifts to RF and Gomes plays LF.
You're only allowed to have 25 guys on the roster. Somebody has to be the odd man out, and it has to be Stubbs right now.

Gallen5862
08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

54 Aroldis Chapman * L-L 6'4" 185 Feb 28, 1988

Chapman has been added to the 40 Man roster.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

54 Aroldis Chapman * L-L 6'4" 185 Feb 28, 1988

Chapman has been added to the 40 Man roster.

He's been on the 40 man roster since the day he signed.

Gallen5862
08-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for that info OBM. I had saw a post about him being on 40 man roster and just looked. Should Springer be put on the 15 Day Dl so Chapman can be called up? Would that allow another pitcher to be eligible for the postseason?

cincrazy
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Is it just a slump though, or has the league "figured" him out? Clearly Stubbs isn't making any adjustments. I don't consider 1-36 with 20 k's a slump. That's just absolutely atrocious baseball.

I'm not giving up on Stubbs for the future, but in terms of this season, I don't expect him to turn it around. He's not a very polished baseball player by any means.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Is it just a slump though, or has the league "figured" him out? Clearly Stubbs isn't making any adjustments. I don't consider 1-36 with 20 k's a slump. That's just absolutely atrocious baseball.

I'm not giving up on Stubbs for the future, but in terms of this season, I don't expect him to turn it around. He's not a very polished baseball player by any means.

Stubbs had a .542 OPS on May 7th. It looked like the league had him figured out at that point too. From that point on he got hot and raised his OPS to .755 on June 9th. He then turned around and went into another slump that saw his OPS fall to .688 on July 2nd. Right on cue, Stubbs went on another hot streak and raised his OPS to .756 on July 19th. Now here we are two and a half weeks later and his OPS has dipped below .700 again. As you can see, he's very streaky. I don't see any reason why he won't go on another hot streak soon. I'd try to ride his next hot streak and then platoon him with Dickerson if/when he cools off again.

LoganBuck
08-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Stubbs had a .542 OPS on May 7th. It looked like the league had him figured out at that point too. From that point on he got hot and raised his OPS to .755 on June 9th. He then turned around and went into another slump that saw his OPS fall to .688 on July 2nd. Right on cue, Stubbs went on another hot streak and raised his OPS to .756 on July 19th. Now here we are two and a half weeks later and his OPS has dipped below .700 again. As you can see, he's very streaky. I don't see any reason why he won't go on another hot streak soon. I'd try to ride his next hot streak and then platoon him with Dickerson if/when he cools off again.

To add to this, when it comes time to set a playoff roster. I want Drew Stubbs on it. I want him in the pinch runner/defensive replacement role. In a close game, I want him running should a slow man reach base. Who knows, maybe there is enough time for him to catch fire again with his own bat.

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2010, 08:14 AM
To add to this, when it comes time to set a playoff roster. I want Drew Stubbs on it. I want him in the pinch runner/defensive replacement role. In a close game, I want him running should a slow man reach base. Who knows, maybe there is enough time for him to catch fire again with his own bat.

And his pop is nice to have as well. Sure he's not a finished product but he has value to this team going forward both short and long term.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
As I was saying earlier, don't send Drew Stubbs down. :D 3-for-4 today with his 14th HR, a double, and a huge RBI single in the 9th inning. His OPS is back up to .707. He's due for a hot streak and hopefully today is the beginning of that streak.

cincrazy
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
As I was saying earlier, don't send Drew Stubbs down. :D 3-for-4 today with his 14th HR, a double, and a huge RBI single in the 9th inning. His OPS is back up to .707. He's due for a hot streak and hopefully today is the beginning of that streak.

Hahaha, after his performance today, I was looking forward to opening this thread again :).

Good to see him snap out of it. Let's hope it keeps up.

RedLegSuperStar
08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Chapman netted the save but made it look very Cordero-ish. I still have got to think that he has got to be here for the St. Louis series along with Dickerson. Thing is.. Every outfielder has made a case for themselves. I'd think Stubbs would be the likely one even though he was stellar Saturday. Just so he can get the start night in and night out.

OnBaseMachine
08-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Chapman gave up a homer in the 9th inning tonight but on the bright side: 0 walks, 3 K's in 1.1 innings. In his last 11 appearances spanning 12.1 innings: 2 walks, 20 strikeouts.

Hopefully he's in Cincy by Friday.

REDblooded
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
by friday?....

I hope he's on the plane tomorrow am...

Ghosts of 1990
08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
So who's going down for Dickerson?

VR
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
So who's going down for Dickerson?

Cordero is my vote.

Brutus
08-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Cordero is my vote.

Vote or dream?

:D

Mario-Rijo
08-09-2010, 12:48 AM

I will say it was a shrewd move by Dusty getting him in that game, I think Dusty will continue to try to match Drew up with guys who feature sliders (Wells and Marmol both throw the slider quite a bit). This is the one pitch Drew hammers. Which BTW his HR and the hit off Marmol both were sliders. The Curve and FB OTOH.....

oregonred
08-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Adding Heisey to the mix is what the doctor ordered to jump start the anemic OF offense.

Redszone ahead of the curve, once again...