PDA

View Full Version : We Hardly Drew Ya...

Red in Atl
08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Drew Sutton claimed by Indians off waivier wire today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnQVj1fsc3Z_FEslnhZtHMsRvLYF?slug=ap-indiansmoves

Spot now open on the 40-man.

Krawhitham
08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
will Dickerson get that spot or will Yasmani Grandal since he is most likely demanding a MLB contract

redleg1984
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
sounds like walt was alittle worried about grandal..... thanks for the grand slam drew... good luck

redssince75
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Someone explain to me what we get out of this.

sivman17
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Someone explain to me what we get out of this.

a roster spot for dickerson

GIDP
08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
There is something I hate about losing Sutton because they chose Cairo. Cairo is having a career year but man I just didnt understand it out of spring and I still really dont even since they basically got lucky.

How many people would have traded a 27 year old who plays well at a ton of positions and hits pretty well and has solid peripherals in AAA that you own for 6 more years, for Cairo? Thats basically what the Reds did.

Its ultimately not a huge loss but it just seems like a bad use of talent.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
sounds like walt was alittle worried about grandal..... thanks for the grand slam drew... good luck
Didn't even think of that, to be honest with you.

Reds
08-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Sutton was in the wrong place at the wrong time here, good luck in the AL, we'll see you in the 2015 WS. ;)

GIDP
08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Sutton was in the wrong place at the wrong time here, good luck in the AL, we'll see you in the 2015 WS. ;)

Yea he likely wasnt going to get any playing time here, and we have a couple guys like Valaika who will probably ultimately end up as the back up fielder in the next year.

HalMorrisRules
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
There is something I hate about losing Sutton because they chose Cairo. Cairo is having a career year but man I just didnt understand it out of spring and I still really dont even since they basically got lucky.

How many people would have traded a 27 year old who plays well at a ton of positions and hits pretty well and has solid peripherals in AAA that you own for 6 more years, for Cairo? Thats basically what the Reds did.

You act like the Reds put Pete Rose on waivers. Drew is 27 years old and was hitting .262 at Louisville, he was expendable. Also, the Reds didnt own his next 6 years.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM
You act like the Reds put Pete Rose on waivers. Drew is 27 years old and was hitting .262 at Louisville, he was expendable. Also, the Reds didnt own his next 6 years.

I certainly dont think I said anything like that. I think hes a solid bench player who can play a lot of positions. To give him up for nothing just irks me because of why they had to give him up.

He has 85 days of major league service time. Pretty sure that means they have him for a pretty long while.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM

When is he arb. eligible?

We do need Cairo and his career year this year though, we aren't playing for the next 6 years anymore. Maybe if we had just waived Alonso or even Francisco for Cairo, but we didn't. We waived a light hitting utility infielder who's only skill was the BB, one that would evaporate once MLB pitchers started challenging him an his lack of power.

He was SLGing under 400 in AAA. No great loss.

defender
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
When is he arb. eligible?

We do need Cairo and his career year this year though, we aren't playing for the next 6 years anymore. Maybe if we had just waived Alonso or even Francisco for Cairo, but we didn't. We waived a light hitting utility infielder who's only skill was the BB, one that would evaporate once MLB pitchers started challenging him an his lack of power.

He was SLGing under 400 in AAA. No great loss.

I agree. This year of Cairo, may turn out to be worth more than 6 years of Sutton.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree. This year of Cairo, may turn out to be worth more than 6 years of Sutton.
Yes, maybe not in a contending year, but we are this year, and we need the production.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM
dont get me wrong, Sutton isnt great, and he obviously had to be the guy removed. I just think man they really removed Sutton because they wanted Russ Springer and really had to have a 36 year old .650 OPS player on the roster...

I guess what I'm just trying to say is that its crazy that a career year from a 25th man can cost so much in the grand scheme of things.

TC81190
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
dont get me wrong, Sutton isnt great, and he obviously had to be the guy removed. I just think man they really removed Sutton because they wanted Russ Springer and really had to have a 36 year old .650 OPS player on the roster...

I guess what I'm just trying to say is that its crazy that a career year from a 25th man can cost so much in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah, a contending year can make some of these roster crunch situations end up kind of odd.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Cairo has been a really valuable member of a team that is making a playoff run. Anyone upset that he's on the team in the sense that it "cost" us Sutton needs their head examined. Plus we had to clear room for a talent that can legitimately help this team in a pennant race to be added to the 40-man.

scott91575
08-06-2010, 09:18 PM

So much? The guys numbers since moving to AAA are nothing special, and this is his 7th year in the minors. Heck, the guy can't even slug .400 this year, and even though he can play multiple positions he is mediocre at best at all of them.

Don't worry, there will be about 20 guys available this Winter who will be just as bad as Sutton. They may be a bit older and cost slightly above league minimum (like Cairo who is making $500,000), but they will be out there.

Heck, the Reds may already have a younger one in house.

bshall2105
08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Isn't Chris Valaika basically the exact same player as Sutton?

GIDP
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Realize what I typed please. I just think its crazy that teams would give up sutton in favor of the 2 players with combined ages of 78.

Cairo is having a pretty good year, what I'm saying has nothing to really do with him. Its more about who was more worthy of 40 man spots instead of a guy who probably was better than Cairo, until he had this career year, and that they would rather have a 42 year old career 4.50 ERA pitcher.

Its complete generalizations that only any players similar. It has nothing to do with Cairo as a player or Springer as a player or Sutton. I just speaking that as a general package its crazy to think that many teams would pick those type of players over the 27 year old who has solid minor league numbers. Completely devoid of what has happened at this point in the season.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Isn't Chris Valaika basically the exact same player as Sutton?

Not really. They are probably interchangeable but they arent the "exact same player".

scott91575
08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Realize what I typed please. I just think its crazy that teams would give up sutton in favor of the 2 players with combined ages of 78.

Cairo is having a pretty good year, what I'm saying has nothing to really do with him. Its more about who was more worthy of 40 man spots instead of a guy who probably was better than Cairo, until he had this career year, and that they would rather have a 42 year old career 4.50 ERA pitcher.

Its complete generalizations that only any players similar. It has nothing to do with Cairo as a player or Springer as a player or Sutton. I just speaking that as a general package its crazy to think that many teams would pick those type of players over the 27 year old who has solid minor league numbers. Completely devoid of what has happened at this point in the season.

It's pretty simple....Cairo has been a good utility player, and Springer can add something Sutton cannot. I am pretty sure it was the organizations idea to give Cairo a look, and if he was terrible then give Sutton a shot. Cairo worked out. Therefore, Sutton has no worth right now to this team (his role is filled). His worth in the future is about equal to 1 of the many guys you can pick up off the street in the off season or even another random minor leaguer already in the organization. No worth now + minimal worth in the future = waived.

BTW...I haven't exactly been a Russ Springer proponent. I would never have brought him on board (of course I don't know him and whatever intangibles he may have). Yet I see no real value to Drew Sutton other than filling some holes in the minors or maybe saving a few thousand dollars over another sub par utility infielder. I am not even sure I would have him on the 40 man next year, so why hold onto him for the rest of the year in which you never plan to use him?

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Cairo is having a pretty good year, what I'm saying has nothing to really do with him.
You're the one who inserted his name in the discussion, not anyone else.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 10:13 PM
You're the one who inserted his name in the discussion, not anyone else.

It could have been Juan Castro. Cairo just happens to be the guy on the roster right now. It could be anyone and I would write the exact same opinion.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
So do you think if Drew Sutton were on this team instead of Miguel Cairo that the 2010 Cincinnati Reds would be better, worse or the same?

GIDP
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
So do you think if Drew Sutton were on this team instead of Miguel Cairo that the 2010 Cincinnati Reds would be better, worse or the same?

I have no way of knowing that, but probably Cairo considering how hes played. To suggest anyone could have expected it would be insane though.

Also Cairo can still turn into Cairo. I have a hard time thinking that Cairos production is going to stay at the .800 level he was at.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Also Cairo can still turn into Cairo.

Your disdain for the guy comes through so clearly even when you’re complimenting him. :lol:

GIDP
08-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Your disdain for the guy comes through so clearly even when you’re complimenting him. :lol:

If saying a 36 year old player is playing over his head and has a good chance that he regresses back into the type of player his 15 year career says he is, is showing disdain I have no problem with looking like that. I simply do not believe hes going to continue to be the player he has been when hes only hit over .750 OPS twice in his career. I hope it stays but like I have stated many times there is plenty to suggest I'm not being unreasonable.

RedsFanInBama
08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Are you able at all to live in and enjoy the moment? Hell, you come close to depressing me.

ILoveWilly
08-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I certainly dont think I said anything like that. I think hes a solid bench player who can play a lot of positions. To give him up for nothing just irks me because of why they had to give him up.

He has 85 days of major league service time. Pretty sure that means they have him for a pretty long while.

Would you have felt better if they got some Single A guy coming off injury with no future either? That's about the most we would have got for him

Really, it's no big deal. He seems like an okay Triple A player, and that's about it. I don't see why people get so upset over the little things, while there are bigger fish to complain about, like paying Francisco Cordero $12 mil to suck.

I wish Drew luck with the Indians and appreciate his contributions for the Bats, I just don't see him as anything more than your usual cup of coffee at best player, career minor leaguer.

Pete4prez
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Sutton can be replaced by another utility inf off of the waiver wire.