PDA

View Full Version : The Cub factor

Magdal
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
When the Cubs play St. Louis it's like the World Series to them. They really get up for those games, and have beaten them in the season series last year and this year with an inferior team.

The Reds beat them like a step child. 3 more games with the Cubs, and the Cards have 6 more with them. Consevatively speaking, that should equate to +3 games for the Reds. Those 3 games will come in handy later on!

brm7675
08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
i would be shocked to see the Cubs handle the Cards that way the rest of the season.

Reds
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah, I tend to think the Cubs are sliding downward instead of gaining momentum for next year, but that might just be my perception because Lou is leaving and I can't imagine anything is too stable right now, despite him announcing his eventual retirement so they could find a replacement.

Magdal
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
i would be shocked to see the Cubs handle the Cards that way the rest of the season.Why? They beat them when they still had Penny, Freese and Ludwick. I think they will beat 'em WORSE now! Like I said: It's their World Series. For the Cards it's just another reg. season game.

brm7675
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Why? They beat them when they still had Penny, Freese and Ludwick. I think they will beat 'em WORSE now! Like I said: It's their World Series. For the Cards it's just another reg. season game.

they have loss players since then, their manager is quiting and their players are just not that good. Add to that the fact the Cards are in a division race and I wold be shocked in the Cards don't win the majority of those games left with the Cubs, if not sweep them.

sivman17
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
For the Cards it's just another reg. season game.

I would say that no game in August and September is "just another regular season game" for the Cards. They know how to play well down the stretch and it's not because they go in with the attitude that it's just another game.

They are in a division and wild card race. I'm not saying they will beat up on the Cubbies, but they certainly are putting a lot more merit to these games no matter who they are playing.

Reds
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Are the games in St. Louis or Chicago? The Cards are better at home (disproportionally) .

Magdal
08-06-2010, 05:48 PM
they have loss players since then, their manager is quiting and their players are just not that good. Add to that the fact the Cards are in a division race and I wold be shocked in the Cards don't win the majority of those games left with the Cubs, if not sweep them.You have a point there about Lou quitting the team. But I think when the Cards come to Wrigley the juices will return. Whatever happens, they LOVE beating the Cardinals.:thumbup:

sivman17
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Are the games in St. Louis or Chicago? The Cards are better at home (disproportionally) .

6 games at home vs. cubs, 3 games at wrigley

sivman17
08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
The Cards are 3-3 vs. the Cubs so far this season. They play 9 more games, 6 of them are in STL. As Reds pointed out, STL is much better at home. I see STL taking 4 or 5 vs. the Cubs at home, and 1 or 2 in Chicago.

Magdal
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
6 games at home vs. cubs, 3 games at wrigleyThat's right! 9 more games. That makes it +4 for the Reds. As far as a Card's advantage at home, the Cubs came a hair from sweeping them in their only 3 game series in extra's.

Magdal
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM
BTW, Sportscenter is finally doing a spot on the Reds tonite.

Vottomatic
08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
The Cubs players looked like they have packed it in, watching the game today.

They need to add a "Q" to Cubs for Quit. Qubs.

10xWSChamps
08-06-2010, 07:17 PM
You have a point there about Lou quitting the team. But I think when the Cards come to Wrigley the juices will return. Whatever happens, they LOVE beating the Cardinals.:thumbup:

You really don't think it works both ways? The Cardinals get up for those series as well, it's about as close to the playoffs as you can get pre-October. The Cardinals players and LaRussa know what a playoff race is like, I'm honestly not trying to be a cocky fan or anything there, I'm just saying the whole organization knows how a playoff race works and what it takes to win a division. I don't think they're going to let the cubs sneak up behind them

As for your estimate, I could certainly see the Cubs winning four of nine but I could also see the Cubs only winning 2 or 3.

I see this division really coming down to the two series we have left against each other. It should be fun ;) I doubt either team will gain more then a game or two outside of those series.

mroby85
08-06-2010, 09:20 PM
They did look flat today, I think that's something that benefits us though vs. the Cardinals because they may show up to play in those games simply because of the rivalry. Hopefully the roll over the next 2 games as well. The Cubs have a lot of talent on their team, It wouldn't surprise me to give the Cardinals a run for the season series. I don't think its a matter of sneaking up on the cardinals its a matter of a talented team being motivated to beat the Cardinals. It doesn't mean the Cardinals aren't better, just that they may get a better showing from the Cubs than teams that the cubs are irrelevant to. Cardinals have to bring it every series at this point.