PDA

View Full Version : Juan Duran

TC81190
08-06-2010, 06:59 PM
I can't find his numbers, but last time I saw them posted here, they were pretty abysmal. I know he's really young, but he's making virtually no strides, especially in comparison to the player signed right around the same time as him and of comparable age, Yorman Rodriguez. The kid is huge, it sounds like he has some huge holes in his swing too.

Disappointing because I had high hopes for him when he signed.

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Duran is 18 years old and only has 437 professional atbats, to call him a bust at this point is borderline ridiculous, IMO. He started this season off slow (.411 OPS in 37 atbats in June) but he hit .294/.362/.435 - .797 OPS in 85 atbats in July. He's very young and raw. Reds fans just need to be patient with him. If he had grown up in the United States he would have just graduated from high school in May/June and most likely would have been a first round pick in the 2010 draft.

thorn
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Really? Bust Already? He can actually draw a walk, can Yorman?

TC81190
08-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Duran is 18 years old and only has 437 professional atbats, to call him a bust at this point is borderline ridiculous, IMO. He started this season off slow (.411 OPS in 37 atbats in June) but he hit .294/.362/.435 - .797 OPS in 85 atbats in July. He's very young and raw. Reds fans just need to be patient with him. If he had grown up in the United States he would have just graduated from high school in May/June and most likely would have been a first round pick in the 2010 draft.
I didn't know he had so few at-bats, nor that his numbers had picked up. I had only heard of the .400 OPS and that scouting reports were turning less than optimistic on him.

johngalt
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I didn't know he had so few at-bats, nor that his numbers had picked up. I had only heard of the .400 OPS and that scouting reports were turning less than optimistic on him.

If you go to MiLB.com, all you have to do is search for a player by last name and you'll get his stats, including a ton of splits (by month, w/ RISP, vs. RH/LH, etc.). It's actually tremendously easy to look up a guy's stats and see some trends.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 07:26 PM
You have to remember that most of his prospect status is built in his power numbers. He is very young so it might take a while for those power numbers to show up.

Unlike Juan, Yorman doesnt have to grow to get his skill set. He should move up the ladder and appear to be an improving prospect because basically his skills are already there. Him gaining power, and gaining other stats will come but its a different beast.

zjr1717
08-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Its gonna be a tough road for him with as tall as he's become, but its a tad early to declare him a bust, he's just way too young for that.

Texas Pete
08-07-2010, 02:21 AM
He is still really young and I still like him as a prospect.

LoganBuck
08-07-2010, 08:15 AM
For the love of Moonlight Graham's Ghost! Why do we have to have another prospect is a bust thread? Hasn't the last 3 years taught us anything? Players develop at different rates. The guy is 18, let me repeat that 18. Everytime a post about a player being a bust pops up, people debate that and in two years time, nearly everyone is shown to be completely ignorant of baseball. Stop it!! I have no clue what Juan Duran will be as a professional baseball player, I do know it is way to early to get too excited one way or another.

Mods can we please change this thread title, because it is essential a thumb to the eye?

NJReds
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
For the love of Moonlight Graham's Ghost! Why do we have to have another prospect is a bust thread? Hasn't the last 3 years taught us anything? Players develop at different rates. The guy is 18, let me repeat that 18. Everytime a post about a player being a bust pops up, people debate that and in two years time, nearly everyone is shown to be completely ignorant of baseball. Stop it!! I have no clue what Juan Duran will be as a professional baseball player, I do know it is way to early to get too excited one way or another.

Mods can we please change this thread title, because it is essential a thumb to the eye?

:thumbup:

Agree 100% with this post. There seems to be a race to be the first to label every prospect a bust no matter how young.

LoganBuck
08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
nevermind wrong thread

membengal
08-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Which way to the Grandal is a bust thread?

corkedbat
08-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Its gonna be a tough road for him with as tall as he's become, but its a tad early to declare him a bust, he's just way too young for that.

Worked out well for Dave Winfield (6-6/220). Not saying he's another Winfield, but he's young with time to grow into his body.

PuffyPig
08-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I can't find his numbers......

Yet you felt you were enough "in the know" to start a thread essentially saying someone was a bust?

His numbers were easy enough to find.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 01:03 AM
FWIW, Juan Duran has now homered in two straight games and is hitting .264/.331/.428 - .759 OPS in 159 atbats with Billings.

He's been even better since July 1st:

134 PA - .312/.373/.492 - .865 OPS

mace
08-16-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm extremely impressed with the progress Duran has made. Judging by his previous seasons, I expected him to struggle to hit .200 at Billings. I didn't think he belonged there, actually. But his rate of improvement has been brisk, to say the least.

TRF
08-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Did Duran age a year?

Duran was Krivsky sign (well, signed under his watch) There was some rule the Reds exploited concerning his birthdate that allowed them to sign him a couple of months early. I could have sworn he and Yorman were the same age, but everyone has Yorman listed as almost a full year younger.

Mario-Rijo
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Did Duran age a year?

Duran was Krivsky sign (well, signed under his watch) There was some rule the Reds exploited concerning his birthdate that allowed them to sign him a couple of months early. I could have sworn he and Yorman were the same age, but everyone has Yorman listed as almost a full year younger.

He signed a few months early (like feb. or march) but I think he was actually eligible to be signed the previous october or something. So that would hypothetically make him 9-10 months older or so.

Texas Pete
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I've been liking Duran's progression. I still like his potential a lot.