PDA

View Full Version : Appears Fisher, Not Chapman, Being Called Up

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
From rotoworld.com via Mark Sheldon's "tweet:"

Despite speculation to the contrary, it appears that the Reds are calling up Carlos Fisher, not Aroldis Champman, to replace the injured Russ Springer on the roster.

MLB.com's Mark Sheldon saw Fisher in the lobby of the hotel that the Reds are staying in, so that's a pretty good indication of the team's plans right there. Chapman will be brought up before the end of the month, but it appears he's being passed over this time.

texasdave
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Fisher did a nice job in his last recall. I wonder what the plans are for Jared Burton?

Reds
08-07-2010, 11:53 AM
johnfayman

RT @nhinds: what gives with fischer? Seems like he must have something on the front office//Think it has to do with needing a long man today

Orodle
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
aaahhhhh! I was pumped for Chapman!

TheBigLebowski
08-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Fisher did a nice job in his last recall. I wonder what the plans are for Jared Burton?

Been wondering a lot about Burton myself.

Heavens - what to do with all this organizational depth??? I am not used to this.

Griffey012
08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Been wondering a lot about Burton myself.

Heavens - what to do with all this organizational depth??? I am not used to this.

Our AAA bullpen is better than the Cards MLB bullpen :beerme:

BurgervilleBuck
08-07-2010, 01:36 PM
It makes sense. The Reds are a bit low on inning-eating relief pitchers. I'm sure there are fans who would prefer dazzle over depth. They're probably hating this but it seems like they'll complain over anything.

ILoveWilly
08-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah ... okay. What I'm wondering is what makes Carlos Fisher a long man. He did a good job both here and with the Bats, but looking at the Bats the most I can go back was 10 games at by the end of June the most IP he had in a game was all of 2.

I just hate having the rare "long man" appearance guy from the pen who just takes up a roster spot and only comes in in one situation. We need guys who can go out there and pitch 3-4 innings if need be as well as pitch 1 inning, like Scott Sullivan esque.

Cant Touch This
08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Selfishly, I'm okay with this. I'm taking my boys to Toledo Monday night to catch the Bats and Mud Hens. We have seats in the second row behind the Bats dugout so I'm hoping we get the chance to see Chapman pitch. If not, we'll have to come back later in the four-game series.

vottofan4life
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking they wait to get back to Cincinnati so Chapman can make his debut at home and it will make a greater appeal to games

GIDP
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking they wait to get back to Cincinnati so Chapman can make his debut at home and it will make a greater appeal to games

I think they would most likely like him to be in Cincinnati where they can control the media firestorm and put him in a less intense place more than tickets sales.

xavr1
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Is there still a chance Chapman gets the call during the StL series? How could would it be for his first appearance to be in front of a packed house at home during a huge game in August? I wonder if they want to keep him out of a pressure packed situation for his first couple appearances.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
My guess

Chapman will get the call this Thursday (an off day), that way the Reds can hope to sell out the Marlin series

sivman17
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Having Chapman in the bullpen might help ticket sales much more than if he was still a starter. With less than 2 months remaining in the season, the Reds are in 1st, and the chance that he could pitch any day, I think people will be flocking to the stadium.

I would love it if GABP gets 30,000+ for the rest of the home games. Weekends should sell out, or at least come close to it.

Girevik
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't think Chapman is on the 40-man roster either, is he? Bringing up Fisher also delays any kind of move they would have to make to open up a spot. Maybe they've got a minor deal in the works to trade someone to open up a spot?

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't think Chapman is on the 40-man roster either, is he? Bringing up Fisher also delays any kind of move they would have to make to open up a spot. Maybe they've got a minor deal in the works to trade someone to open up a spot?

Chapman is on the 40 man.