PDA

View Full Version : Springer DL'd.. Fisher Recalled

RedLegSuperStar
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Per Fay / Sheldon tweets

RedLegSuperStar
08-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Not what everyone wanted.. But apparently they needed a long man today. I guess a former starter can't go multiple innings anymore. Mind you who can throw 100+

Joseph
08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Looks like Chapman isn't as close as some thought, myself included.

Sea Ray
08-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Definitely an anti-climatic move.

This is also a reality check when dealing with older ballplayers. They are much more injury prone. IMO injuries cause more retirements than a loss of skill. This is an "old man injury". Springer's had a long career and never had this sort of freak injury before. These sorts of things happen a lot more in your 40s.

Lesson to be learned is despite what the numbers show, we can't count on these guys due to health concerns.

Joseph
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Definitely an anti-climatic move.

This is also a reality check when dealing with older ballplayers. They are much more injury prone. IMO injuries cause more retirements than a loss of skill. This is an "old man injury". Springer's had a long career and never had this sort of freak injury before. These sorts of things happen a lot more in your 40s.

Lesson to be learned is despite what the numbers show, we can't count on these guys due to health concerns.

You also have to wonder if a lack of spring training would have had anything to do with it. Surely he was working out at home, training if you will, but maybe without the organized structure of team activities he wasn't as focused as he otherwise might have been.

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2010, 11:20 AM
What exactly happened with Springer I missed a good portion of that game?

_Sir_Charles_
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Anybody ever think that maybe the Reds want to sculpt Chapman's first few MLB appearances like the Nats did with Strasberg? Maybe they want him to go up against a cupcake team first instead of the Cardinals. Just a thought.

Redsfan320
08-07-2010, 12:06 PM
What exactly happened with Springer I missed a good portion of that game?

He was repeatedly trying to stretch out his back from the time he started pitching, was just lobbing balls over the plate, and was pulled mid-inning.

Homer Bailey
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Can't post the link from my phone, but baker said he didn't want chapman to debut in the hostile wrigley environment.Plus they wanted the long man with volquez going.

CTA513
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Fisher can eat some innings if bad Volquez shows up.

Slyder
08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Can't post the link from my phone, but baker said he didn't want chapman to debut in the hostile wrigley environment.Plus they wanted the long man with volquez going.

That tells me management wants Chapman's first appearance to be in Cincy for the media/attendance boost. If I were a betting man August 12th (off day) Fisher gets demoted for Chapman going into the Florida series. If not then.

If not then and they have hopes for him on the playoff roster August 26th (off day again) before the Cubs & Brewers are in town for 6. I don't see us calling him up while were out west unless about 5 guys get appendicitis.

alexad
08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
With Volquez going today, good move. Plus Chapman will come to Cincy first. That way there is no rush to get him to a stadium. Bring him in for a home series. That way he can be met at the airport and be home and taken care of. On the Road can be bad for any rookie let alone Chapman.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-07-2010, 04:31 PM
It's time for Fisher to start turning that success at AAA into success at the next level.

His numbers have been great at Louisville.

I'd love to see him make an Ondrusek like run and remain in the 'pen for a long time.