PDA

View Full Version : Devin Mesoraco

RedEye
08-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I couldn't find the earlier thread about this kid...

Anyway, now that Arencibia (TOR) and Santana (CLE) have been promoted to the majors and the luster has worn off some of the other prospects (Ramos of MIN comes to mind), I'm wondering whether Mesoraco can be considered the top C in the minor leagues. I've really been impressed by him this year and have enjoyed reading coverage of him--especially here.

Are there other C prospects I'm overlooking, or do the Reds suddenly have the game's elite minor league talent at the position? Your thoughts?

cinreds21
08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I couldn't find the earlier thread about this kid...

Anyway, now that Arencibia (TOR) and Santana (CLE) have been promoted to the majors and the luster has worn off some of the other prospects (Ramos of MIN comes to mind), I'm wondering whether Mesoraco can be considered the top C in the minor leagues. I've really been impressed by him this year and have enjoyed reading coverage of him--especially here.

Are there other C prospects I'm overlooking, or do the Reds suddenly have the game's elite minor league talent at the position? Your thoughts?

There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think many people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.

mth123
08-07-2010, 07:38 PM
There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think may people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.

I'm guilty. Now I think he's the Red's best position prospect just ahead of Cozart.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Amazing that coming into the season BA had him rated as the 30th best prospect in the Reds system.

I'm sure they considered removing him completely, but the fact the he was a 1st round draft pick probably enabled them to give him one more token appearance on their list.

What a great rebound for him. He's probably top 5 (in the Reds system) heading into 2011.

GIDP
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Amazing that coming into the season BA had him rated as the 30th best prospect in the Reds system.

I'm sure they considered removing him completely, but the fact the he was a 1st round draft pick probably enabled him to give him one less token appearance on their list.

What a great rebound for him. He's probably top 5 (in the Reds system) heading into 2011.

Im going to say hes top 1 in the Reds minor league system, and top 50 in all of the minor leagues at least.

Betterread
08-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Im going to say hes top 1 in the Reds minor league system, and top 50 in all of the minor leagues at least.
Chapman has to be #1. While he definitely moved up to prospect status with his great year, I'd like to see Mesoraco get at least 400 ABs at AA-AAA before I am ready to call him top 25 in baseball. Top 50, maybe.

GIDP
08-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Chapman has to be #1. While he definitely moved up to prospect status with his great year, I'd like to see Mesoraco get at least 400 ABs at AA-AAA before I am ready to call him top 25 in baseball. Top 50, maybe.

Splitting hairs but yea either way I could make a case for both of those guys. Either way I'm thinking Yonder will be a bit of a distant 3rd but after that its probably a random mixture of Cozart, Frazier, Francisco, Yorman, and so on.

muddie
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think many people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.

I really believe he will be the Reds catcher of the future. I think his success is tied more to his gaining confdence in himself. This kid is no fluke.

gedred69
08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
When he was drafted he was so raw, not much should have been expected for at least his 1st and 2nd years. (Pa. is not exactly a hot-bed of MLB-close high schoolers, especially a guy not from the Philly or Pittsburg areas). Add to that the thumb problem, which severely hampered his 1st year. The fact that he appears to have put it together to have a thread like this, is a Testament to his perseverence, tenacity, and determination to become somebody. Congratulations Devin.:thumbup:

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't think Arencibia is a better prospect than Mesoraco was even before he got called up.

REDblooded
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't think Arencibia is a better prospect than Mesoraco was even before he got called up.

This...

Griffey012
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM

What was the scoop on Arencibia before he was called up? I looked at his minor league numbers and he's got some pretty good pop, but can't take a walk. Would you say he's comparable offensively to Francisco? I'd never heard of the guy, but I really only pay attention to the Reds minor leaguers and some of the other top prospects.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
What was the scoop on Arencibia before he was called up? I looked at his minor league numbers and he's got some pretty good pop, but can't take a walk. Would you say he's comparable offensively to Francisco? I'd never heard of the guy, but I really only pay attention to the Reds minor leaguers and some of the other top prospects.

Better prospect than Francisco. He has walk issues, but has multiple seasons higher than Francisco's best season walk rate. He also makes a bit more contact than Francisco does. Current power is comparable (the PCL is much more hitter friendly, thus the 31 AAA HRs for Arencibia), Francisco has more raw power though. Then of course there is the fact that Arencibia is a catcher, and while he isn't exactly a good one, he will stick back there, while Francisco is a poor third baseman who should probably be playing first.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Arencibia's defense has improved light years. He's good enough to stick back there for sure.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
From BA today
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9931

• Still think Devin Mesoraco's stellar start with high Class A Lynchburg was a fluke? Since the Reds promoted Mesoraco to Carolina on May 29, he has hit .275/.344/.563, giving him the third-highest OPS (.907) among catchers in Double-A during that stretch, trailing only the Cardinals' Steven Hill (.932). Only five other Southern League hitters at any position have a better OPS than Mesoraco since his promotion.

gonelong
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Still think Devin Mesoraco's stellar start with high Class A Lynchburg was a fluke? Since the Reds promoted Mesoraco to Carolina on May 29, he has hit .275/.344/.563, giving him the third-highest OPS (.907) among catchers in Double-A during that stretch, trailing only the Cardinals' Steven Hill (.932). Only five other Southern League hitters at any position have a better OPS than Mesoraco since his promotion.

When he gets to LOU I might have to take a road-trip to see him again with my own eyes. Hard to believe that he has seemingly progressed so far after seeing him just flailing at Dayton.

I left DM for dead in low A ball. The guy has the crow out of the freezer and it's starting to thaw. I hope he servers me a 7 courser some time in the future ... good catchers are hard to come by.

GL

SirFelixCat
08-10-2010, 12:06 AM
When he gets to LOU I might have to take a road-trip to see him again with my own eyes. Hard to believe that he has seemingly progressed so far after seeing him just flailing at Dayton.

I left DM for dead in low A ball. The guy has the crow out of the freezer and it's starting to thaw. I hope he servers me a 7 courser some time in the future ... good catchers are hard to come by.

GL

:lol: I didn't know there were that many different preparations. With that said, please let us know what they are when he comes up to AAA and that baby is in the oven! ;)

This kid has been an absolute revelation this year. I told my wife, prior to the season, that this very well may be his make or break year and wow, proving me right!:beerme:

gonelong
08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
:lol: I didn't know there were that many different preparations. With that said, please let us know what they are when he comes up to AAA and that baby is in the oven! ;)

If I am going to eat crow, I don't want it reheated and dry. I want to feel like it was prepared specially for me. :p:

DM still has lots of opportunities to drop that crow on the floor, let the dog swipe it off the counter, or burn it.

Then we get to call for Pizza delivery. :D

GL

GIDP
08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Devin Mesoraco looks to be pretty fast for a catcher.

YouTube - ‪Devin Mesoraco hitting for the Carolina Mudcats‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFEuHvW6v8)

Guy looks to have pretty darn good set of wheels.

camisadelgolf
08-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Devin Mesoraco looks to be pretty fast for a catcher.

YouTube - ‪Devin Mesoraco hitting for the Carolina Mudcats‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFEuHvW6v8)

Guy looks to have pretty darn good set of wheels.
Advice to fellow Reds fans watching: stop watching after he slides into second. :)

GIDP
08-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Advice to fellow Reds fans watching: stop watching after he slides into second. :)

You mean the throw that bounces once and still beats teh runner by 5 feet?

dougdirt
08-11-2010, 08:41 AM
You mean the throw that bounces once and still beats teh runner by 5 feet?

Yeah, that one that was a 1.7 second pop time and got Dee Gordon there who has 43 steals this year after 73 last year.... I doubt he catches again today, so I doubt I get more video of him throwing out runners, but I missed one on Monday that was much smoother.

Also, here is a video of his HR yesterday. In slow motion (I looked at it frame by frame in a video editor), you can see the ball hit the scoreboard just to the left of the 'D' in the word Mudcats at the top of the scoreboard (it hits near the bottom tail of the D). Just an absolute blast that I somehow in a crazy zoom attempt was able to get lol.
YouTube - ‪Devin Mesoraco with a long HR for the Carolina Mudcats‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBN4V3cGxLQ)

GIDP
08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
That was Dee Gordon running? Wow even more impressive that it beat him by that much.

mdccclxix
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but figured it belongs here:

Compare this year's Mez swing:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco with a long HR for the Carolina Mudcats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBN4V3cGxLQ)

with last year's Mez swing in ST:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco grounds out against Danny Ray Herrera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgHHN-ggBb8)

He's got his hands "in the box" this year and it obviously has helped his power 100%.

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but figured it belongs here:

Compare this year's Mez swing:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco with a long HR for the Carolina Mudcats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBN4V3cGxLQ)

with last year's Mez swing in ST:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco grounds out against Danny Ray Herrera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgHHN-ggBb8)

He's got his hands "in the box" this year and it obviously has helped his power 100%.

Outstanding catch md, vastly different.

GIDP
08-13-2010, 09:58 AM
That is pretty interesting. His old swing looked to swat down at the balls. Huge catch man, A+.

lollipopcurve
08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
That is pretty interesting. His old swing looked to swat down at the balls. Huge catch man, A+.

To be fair, a guy's swing can look much different fro swing to swing, depending on whether he's fooled, out front, the location of the pitch, etc. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a swing comparison drawn between a bomb to CF and a bounce out to SS.

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
To be fair, a guy's swing can look much different fro swing to swing, depending on whether he's fooled, out front, the location of the pitch, etc. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a swing comparison drawn between a bomb to CF and a bounce out to SS.

Did you watch the video? It's clearly different when the difference is in the pre-swing/set-up as much as it is anywhere else. His hands to start with are in 2 completely different areas, so yeah I'd put a whole lot of stock in it.

Although the results change might not be affected too much generally speaking in this case I think it vastly has improved his timing and helped him in a number of ways.

GIDP
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh no doubt but where his hands are would lead me to believe when he misses hes going to top the ball more often instead of getting some lift. He also has less motion in the 2nd one. I dont care to time it but it probably improves his swing time.

lollipopcurve
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Did you watch the video? It's clearly different when the difference is in the pre-swing as much as it is anywhere else. His hands to start with are in 2 completely different areas, so yeah I'd put a whole lot of stock in it.

I stand corrected. The shift in hand position is significant.

camisadelgolf
08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Was the ground-out to short with two strikes? Was a runner on third?

There are many things that can change a player's hand positioning for a particular swing.

mdccclxix
08-13-2010, 12:30 PM

There are many things that can change a player's hand positioning for a particular swing.

That's a good point.

Here's Devin hitting a double in 2008:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hits a double for the Dayton Dragons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfIZrrVJ9rU&feature=related)

And here's a swing from this April:
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco - Reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9XGzUmSehM&feature=related)

Pretty similar hand positions. The angles are different on all of these, so that makes it harder to tell exactly, but I think you might be right, it could be the situation. The video from Tuesday's game where he homers, the situation was 1 on, 2 out, 1-2 count.

Here is the YouTube chronology of Devin Mesoraco, dedicated to those in the hinterlands, unable to go see Reds MiLB in person:

YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hits a double for the Dayton Dragons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfIZrrVJ9rU&feature=related)
April
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco - Reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9XGzUmSehM&feature=related)
August
YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hitting for the Carolina Mudcats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFEuHvW6v8)

The two from August are similar in that they are the lower hand position.

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM

Not sure what you are implying but if it is what I think then don't think it matters. If you are "right" then you shouldn't have more than one hand position. With the possible exception of if you aren't real adept at bunting and are asked to do so then you might cheat a little early to do get it done. Maybe you choke up a smidge in some cases but that shouldn't change your hand positioning. But every other PA you should have the same thing going on at the plate pre swing. Ideally every PA should look exactly the same.

Granted there have been guys throughout the history of the game who have seen more pre-swing looks than you can shake a stick at (Cal Ripken) and have been productive. Though I'd argue that there is an ideal setup and swing for every player (though not the same for everyone) and it would result in their highest level of production.

membengal
08-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Mesoraco's updated 2010 combined stats:

.305/.380/.592 for a .972 OPS.

23 HR, 21 2b, 4 3b

His CS% for the two levels is a rather eye-opening 42%.

He slumped a bit after that collision at the plate a few weeks back, but has bounced back with a vengeance, which is great to see.

I kinda wish they would bump him to AAA with a few weeks to go in the season, and let him taste the playoff chase they have going on there, not to mention maybe spend a few weeks with Corky, but there probably isn't room.

At any rate, it continues to be as exciting a development in terms of a prospect in the Reds system as I have seen in awhile.

mth123
08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Mesoraco's updated 2010 combined stats:

.305/.380/.592 for a .972 OPS.

23 HR, 21 2b, 4 3b

His CS% for the two levels is a rather eye-opening 42%.

He slumped a bit after that collision at the plate a few weeks back, but has bounced back with a vengeance, which is great to see.

I kinda wish they would bump him to AAA with a few weeks to go in the season, and let him taste the playoff chase they have going on there, not to mention maybe spend a few weeks with Corky, but there probably isn't room.

At any rate, it continues to be as exciting a development in terms of a prospect in the Reds system as I have seen in awhile.

I'd like to see a bump too. The Reds are going to be up against the budget in 2011 and Hernandez is having a career year and may be too expensive to keep. The Reds should plan on Mesoraco being a major part of the catching tandem by mid-season. A couple weeks now would help. I'd guess we'll see him in the AFL as well.

Start the year with Hanigan and Corky and plan on Mes after Memorial day. The Reds just can't afford $5 or $6 Million for Hernandez (and his year might put him in that price range). Even $3 Million would be hard to fit in if the Reds are planning on keeping Arroyo (or upgrading to some TOR vet) and bringing back all the arb guys.

Hernandez has been awesome in 2010, but accelerating Mes is the best way for the Reds to save some cash w/o a huge drop in production.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm starting to think Devin might not only be the best reds catcher right now he might be one of their best hitters.

Obviously he would struggle but its hard not to like his peripherals.

LoganBuck
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I'd like to see a bump too. The Reds are going to be up against the budget in 2011 and Hernandez is having a career year and may be too expensive to keep. The Reds should plan on Mesoraco being a major part of the catching tandem by mid-season. A couple weeks now would help. I'd guess we'll see him in the AFL as well.

Start the year with Hanigan and Corky and plan on Mes after Memorial day. The Reds just can't afford $5 or $6 Million for Hernandez (and his year might put him in that price range). Even $3 Million would be hard to fit in if the Reds are planning on keeping Arroyo (or upgrading to some TOR vet) and bringing back all the arb guys.

Hernandez has been awesome in 2010, but accelerating Mes is the best way for the Reds to save some cash w/o a huge drop in production.

FYI: The Reds have a 2011 option on Ramon Hernandez at $3.25M.

PuffyPig
08-15-2010, 05:07 PM

I expect that Hernandez and Hannigan will be our catchers in 2011. Our depth at catching as been one of the greatest surprises this year.

Mess and Hannigan in 2012.

Mess and Grandal in 2013.

If Mess and/or Grandal accelerate faster than that, we can flip Hernandaz and/or Hannigan to fit them in.

Catchers can fetch a fair bit in trades.

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Yep. Missed that. Still not sure they can afford it.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Honestly id be seeing what type of offers are out there for a guy like Hanigan. I doubt its much but everyone is looking for catching who knows.

PuffyPig
08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Honestly id be seeing what type of offers are out there for a guy like Hanigan. I doubt its much but everyone is looking for catching who knows.

We need Hanigan until probably the 2013 season, when Grandal can take his place.

Why trade him sooner?

And catchers like Hanigan don't grow on trees.

Vottomatic
08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd like to see Mesoraco get some time at triple A working with Corky. I think it would be invaluable.

I see Corky eventually becoming a Reds coach that specifically works with the catchers and sometimes the pitchers, to some extent, in terms of what his experience can convey.

muddie
08-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I like Hannigan a lot. I think he is a good pitcher's catcher. When he was with Louisville in Durham for the two games we saw, he made it a point to go to the pitcher and the pitching coach, Ted Power, after almost every inning in the dugout to keep everyone up on what was going on in the game.

lollipopcurve
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I like Hannigan a lot. I think he is a good pitcher's catcher.

Yes he is -- a tremendous receiver of pitches. If I'm Baker, I keep Hanigan with Bailey.

Mario-Rijo
08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes he is -- a tremendous receiver of pitches. If I'm Baker, I keep Hanigan with Bailey.

And Cordero as much as possible, he bought that 3rd strike for Cordero today and that is just one that I paid special attention to. It was a bit low and Hanigan caught it with the webbing, with the webbing pointing down and then immediately flipped his glove so the webbing went sideways appearing to be a strike. The ump didn't call it until then.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
And Cordero as much as possible, he bought that 3rd strike for Cordero today and that is just one that I paid special attention to. It was a bit low and Hanigan caught it with the webbing, with the webbing pointing down and then immediately flipped his glove so the webbing went sideways appearing to be a strike. The ump didn't call it until then.

Yep. He really is highly skilled at receiving the ball and giving the umpire a good look -- without moving his mitt so much that the ump can tell he's trying to steal a call. Hernandez is not as good -- then again, few are.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
We need Hanigan until probably the 2013 season, when Grandal can take his place.

Why trade him sooner?

And catchers like Hanigan don't grow on trees.

The fact that hes 30 and probably has a big reputation around the league makes me willing to look at some offers. Doesnt mean I'd be trading him for nothing but I'd put some floaters just to see what the bites are.

No doubt he probably has a few more years of over all good production, but that said selling high on a guy that is likely getting replaced in a year or two might not be such a bad idea.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
No doubt he probably has a few more years of over all good production, but that said selling high on a guy that is likely getting replaced in a year or two might not be such a bad idea.

But the team is contending now, and Hernandez has an iffy knee. Hanigan is the one who makes sense as the transition guy to Mesoraco/Grandal, and that's going to take a couple years.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
But the team is contending now, and Hernandez has an iffy knee. Hanigan is the one who makes sense as the transition guy to Mesoraco/Grandal, and that's going to take a couple years.

I think Hanigan is the better catcher for sure. The thing I'm thinking about is that how much is he actually worth to the Reds. I have a hard time thinking that if Mes is ready by mid season next year, and isnt a fluke, which seems to be pretty obvious that hes not at this moment, hes going to perform worse than Hanigan or Ramon even with rookie struggles. I dont think the Reds pick up ramons option but I think they do try to resign him again. Hes near the end of the road but he seems to be a good club house guy and he certainly understands hes not a full time catcher any more. I think his "attitude" problems he had in Baltimore are long gone, and thats if they were ever really even there in the first place.

This is all in theory or what ever. I'm not saying "we gotta trade hanigan while we still can!". I'm just saying it might be a good time to see what is offered. I doubt it would be much to make us deal him, but Mes makes it possible.

RedsManRick
08-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Some people seem to have a hard time accepting that a player who can give you a few decent years is a valuable asset. No, we're not going to sign Hanigan to a long term deal, but he's in his prime and hasn't been playing full time, meaning less wear and tear on his body. All he's done as a Red is get on base and play the position well. He's got no discernable platoon split and, as a great contact hitter, is solid off the bench as well. No, he's not an all-star, but he's a cheap, solid option who can bridge the gap until Mes or Grandal arrive.

Mes is hitting very well, but it's a long way from beating up AA pitching to getting on base 37% of the time in the majors. I'm as optimistic about Mesoraco's progress as anybody, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

PuffyPig
08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
The fact that hes 30 and probably has a big reputation around the league makes me willing to look at some offers. Doesnt mean I'd be trading him for nothing but I'd put some floaters just to see what the bites are.

Yes he will likely get replaced "in a yerar or two" though more likely two years.

Which means we need him for a couple of years.

No reason to trade him until he don't need him, not two years before that time.

Mario-Rijo
08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Some people seem to have a hard time accepting that a player who can give you a few decent years is a valuable asset. No, we're not going to sign Hanigan to a long term deal, but he's in his prime and hasn't been playing full time, meaning less wear and tear on his body. All he's done as a Red is get on base and play the position well. He's got no discernable platoon split and, as a great contact hitter, is solid off the bench as well.

Mes is hitting very well, but it's a long way from beating up AA pitching to getting on base 37% of the time in the majors. I'm as optimistic about Mesoraco's progress as anybody, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Nah I get what GIDP is saying I don't think he'd disagree with ya on that I sure don't. Seems he'd like to take advantage of what he does bring by seeing if we can get some to overpay for him. I just doubt they could get more for him than he is worth to them (Reds). As a matter of fact not sure I'd trade him even if I could get more than what his perceived worth is. It'd have to be a really good offer to give away one heckuva defender (with a decent bat) at thee premium position.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I think you guys are miss understanding what I'm saying a little. I realize hes valuable, and I wouldnt trade him just to trade him.

There is no doubt in my mind though that Mes will be up at some point next year, because one of the catchers will get hurt. I'm just saying it wouldnt be the worst thing to think about what you can get in return for a 30 year old catcher who is getting close to arbitration when you have what looks to be a stud catcher knocking on the door soon.

I think its highly unlikely that they do in the next offseason unless Mes goes to AAA, and dominates again, and wins MLPOTY.

I'm just thinking of scenarios. Not a major suggestion just tossing it out there though.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Nah I get what GIDP is saying I don't think he'd disagree with ya on that I sure don't. Seems he'd like to take advantage of what he does bring by seeing if we can get some to overpay for him. I just doubt they could get more for him than he is worth to them (Reds). As a matter of fact not sure I'd trade him even if I could get more than what his perceived worth is. It'd have to be a really good offer to give away one heckuva defender (with a decent bat) at thee premium position.

Yea this is the general thing I was saying. Thanks for clearing it up.

I would just put out some floaters to see if someone would over pay, and maybe try to cash in on some reputation. I seriously doubt someone would but given that there is going to be a log jam most likely by mid season 2011 maybe they should be more willing to give offers a look.

Hanigan is most likely more valuable than anything they get in return even if Hanigan gets part time playing time like he does.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Devin was promoted to AAA today.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Nice.

Mesoraco's Double-A numbers:

.294/.363/.594 - .957 OPS in 187 atbats. Also, his BABIP was only .299 so it's not like he was extremely lucky or anything.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I dont know its happening today or tomorrow but I do believe hes been promoted. Even if the transaction hasnt happened.

They might have him play tonight then go to AAA tomorrow since its the off day.

johngalt
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm not a fan of promoting him yet. Let him finish out the year in AA and see these teams a few more times. Guys need to do that on their way up the ladder to be fully prepared for the bigs.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2010, 03:32 PM
If it's true that Mesoraco will move up, it likely has something to do with Grandal coming on board.

BRM
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
The Bats already have three catchers on their roster. Is someone getting released?

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
If it's true that Mesoraco will move up, it likely has something to do with Grandal coming on board.

Thats my thoughts as well.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com/content/view/262900/1/

Here is a source if you need another one. Not where I heard it but hey I guess I'm not the only one.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
The Bats already have three catchers on their roster. Is someone getting released?

Wilkin Castillo really isnt just a catcher though. Still someone has to be released unless one of the major league catchers are hurt again or something and Corky is going back up to the major league squad.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe Denove goes back to AA

membengal
08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I wanted this, so if true, I am pleased. Devin with a few weeks in the AAA pennant race and learning from Corky on handling pitchers and calling a game?

Yes please. A really nice capper to the progress he has made this season.

ochre
08-16-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com/content/view/262900/1/ (http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com/content/view/262900/1/)

Here is a source if you need another one. Not where I heard it but hey I guess I'm not the only one.
Unless they read it here and then reported it... :)

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Unless they read it here and then reported it... :)

Good point!

But for real most of these promotion stories are broke by local home town papers.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Louisville has a flat out nuts line up now.

Yonder
Valaika
Cozart
Francisco
Balentin
Sappelt
Frazier
Mesoraco

Every single one of those players probably end up a starter for a couple seasons at some point in their career.

BRM
08-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Maybe Denove goes back to AA

That would make the most sense I suppose.

mdccclxix
08-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Yonder
Valaika
Cozart
Francisco
Balentin
Sappelt
Frazier
Mesoraco

Every single one of those players probably end up a starter for a couple seasons at some point in their career.

that reads like an off season top 10 list. wow. put chapman on the mound, lol

TStuck
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
that reads like an off season top 10 list. wow. put chapman on the mound, lol

Seriously!....When was the last time the Reds had that much serious talent waiting at AAA?
Just for kicks I randomly looked back 5 years to 2005 to compare how far the AAA roster has come. Oh my.......

2005 Bats lineup
1B AJ Zapp
2B William Bergolla
SS revolving door of Jeff Bannon, Tomas Perez, Luis Lopez, Aaron Holbert, etc...(no player played more than 38 games at SS that season!)
3B Edwin Encarnacion
OF Chris Denorfia, Pedro Swann, Kenny Kelly, Jason Romano, and a cast of other nondescript guys.....
C Dane Sardinha

Elizardo Ramirez led the starters with 7 wins in 21 starts
Chris Booker anchored the bullpen with 8 wins and 20 saves

We've come a LOOOOOONNNGGG way baby!

GIDP
08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
thats so depressing to look at rofl

mace
08-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Yonder
Valaika
Cozart
Francisco
Balentin
Sappelt
Frazier
Mesoraco

And that doesn't include Danny Dorn, who, in 2010, is arguably the equal of anybody on that list (as a hitter).

GIDP
08-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I didnt even think about Dorn. Wow that team is a little stacked.

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Yonder
Valaika
Cozart
Francisco
Balentin
Sappelt
Frazier
Mesoraco

They have a great AAA lineup. Not sure all those guys will start for 2 years in the majors though. Valaika? Balentien? Highly doubtful. And I'm sure chances are a few of those other guys will struggle to make the jump, just going by the law of averages.

Brutus
08-16-2010, 05:07 PM
They have a great AAA lineup. Not sure all those guys will start for 2 years in the majors though. Valaika? Balentien? Highly doubtful. And I'm sure chances are a few of those other guys will struggle to make the jump, just going by the law of averages.

I was just getting ready to post the same. It's a great lineup, but some of those guys aren't likely to ever start. That part was a bit of an exaggeration, IMHO.

Very impressive lineup though.

GIDP
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
You would be surprised about how many guys spend a couple years as starters in the majors. Its not hard to be a starter on some really bad teams.

Anyways Devin isnt in the Mudcats line up so thats another reason to believe it really happened if didnt trust that link earlier.

Caveat Emperor
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Seriously!....When was the last time the Reds had that much serious talent waiting at AAA?
Just for kicks I randomly looked back 5 years to 2005 to compare how far the AAA roster has come. Oh my.......

2005 Bats lineup
1B AJ Zapp
2B William Bergolla
SS revolving door of Jeff Bannon, Tomas Perez, Luis Lopez, Aaron Holbert, etc...(no player played more than 38 games at SS that season!)
3B Edwin Encarnacion
OF Chris Denorfia, Pedro Swann, Kenny Kelly, Jason Romano, and a cast of other nondescript guys.....
C Dane Sardinha

Elizardo Ramirez led the starters with 7 wins in 21 starts
Chris Booker anchored the bullpen with 8 wins and 20 saves

We've come a LOOOOOONNNGGG way baby!

This post really puts into perspective the shape of the Reds minor league system before O'Brien and Krivsky went to work.

nemesis
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
This post really puts into perspective the shape of the Reds minor league system before O'Brien and Krivsky went to work.

In the end the credit goes to Chris Buckley. He has been in charge of all of the Drafts throughout the regime changes. He hasn't had a bad draft yet. This is the guy who needs to be extended and kept on staff long term.

Just to go on record, this might be his best draft (2010) yet.

IslandRed
08-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Maybe, but I lean more towards the notion that Louisville is probably going to be in the playoffs and Carolina definitely isn't.

paintmered
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
The talent in the minors seems to be on a three year cycle now. Dayton is going to be absolutely loaded next year, even more than they were in 2008. Many of those guys are starting in Louisville now.

TStuck
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
In the end the credit goes to Chris Buckley. He has been in charge of all of the Drafts throughout the regime changes. He hasn't had a bad draft yet. This is the guy who needs to be extended and kept on staff long term.

Just to go on record, this might be his best draft (2010) yet.

Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner folks.
Absolutely right Nemesis - Buckley has been the common denominator in the turnaround of the Reds' minor league system. This guy just keeps turning out solid draft after solid draft. We really need to be sure and lock Chris up for a long, long time to come.

lollipopcurve
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
We really need to be sure and lock Chris up for a long, long time to come.

Don't forget the scouts who are doing the work in the trenches. That's where it all starts.

Screwball
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Don't forget the scouts who are doing the work in the trenches. That's where it all starts.

Yep. As much as I love Carson Palmer, he doesn't look so good without the guys up front doing their job. Give him weapons and protection though, and watch out.

TStuck
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM

You're absolutely right LC...didn't intend to short sell the scouts who are obviously doing a great job of gathering info on the various prospects. They absolutely deserve huge props on their hard work and success. It's nice to have an organization that is once again putting emphasis and dollars into player development.

RedEye
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Thought his promotion to AAA today deserved a bump on this thread. Any ideas about what this means for Devin's development as a player? For his ETA in the majors?

GIDP
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Thought his promotion to AAA today deserved a bump on this thread. Any ideas about what this means for Devin's development as a player? For his ETA in the majors?

It means there is a chance he makes the team out of spring if he puts up good AAA numbers.

Odds are he gets Bruce treatment and gets called up after the super 2 date.

cinreds21
08-17-2010, 11:32 PM
It means there is a chance he makes the team out of spring if he puts up good AAA numbers.

Odds are he gets Bruce treatment and gets called up after the super 2 date.

I think it's highly unlikely. I could be wrong but I see him needing (in their eyes) a half a season, at least, in Trips next year.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I think it's highly unlikely. I could be wrong but I see him needing (in their eyes) a half a season, at least, in Trips next year.

Its highly unlikely in my mind also but still you have to include it as a possibility. It could save them a good chunk of money if they do go that way.

lollipopcurve
08-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I wonder if the endgame for the Mesoraco/Grandal tandem is that one moves off catcher. With the way Meso-man's bat has exploded, and given his better athleticism (I think), he may be a candidate for 3B or LF......

membengal
08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Gotta say, lollipop, with Mes throwing out 45% of the runners he's seen this year, I am guessing it will be a long time before they mess with that.

I may be wrong, but I thought in some of the Grandal stuff I read in the last few months that there was talk that he might be a candidate for 3b at some point.

As for me, I hope they both stick at at C and give the Reds massive options around 2014. Can never have enough catching from where I sit...

lollipopcurve
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Gotta say, lollipop, with Mes throwing out 45% of the runners he's seen this year, I am guessing it will be a long time before they mess with that.

I may be wrong, but I thought in some of the Grandal stuff I read in the last few months that there was talk that he might be a candidate for 3b at some point.

As for me, I hope they both stick at at C and give the Reds massive options around 2014. Can never have enough catching from where I sit...

Had not read that about Grandal -- interesting. Moving one of these guys is going to have to be a consideration if they both hit. Of course, they'd also carry significant trade value, and that would probably be the more likely outcome. Still, the RH pop from Mes and the switch-hitting ability of Grandal are intriguing possible future adds to the offense.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Mes will probably have 2 years in the majors by the time Grandal makes his debut. Of course thats if Grandals bat doesnt keep exploding like it did as a junior.

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
I actually think the more likely scenario is that Grandal gets traded at some point. Assuming Mez is the better catcher of course.

mdccclxix
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
There's a chance Votto is too expensive in 2014, and Yonder is by then in the AL winning batting titles (i keed), so Grandal should be able to find a spot at 1st as well, if needed.

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Mesoraco is catching and batting 8th tonight for Louisville.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Gotta get him ready for the big league line up by position.

Caveat Emperor
08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
One thing is for certain, it'd be nice to have a log-jam of talent at a premium position for a change.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
The reds have a bunch of middle of the road catchers also which is more than what a lot of major league teams can say.

Scrap Irony
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I wonder if the endgame for the Mesoraco/Grandal tandem is that one moves off catcher. With the way Meso-man's bat has exploded, and given his better athleticism (I think), he may be a candidate for 3B or LF......

I don't think they'd consider moving either one. You need two catchers in today's game. Desperately. (Not having three is currently killing the Red Sox, in fact.) Having two that could possibly hit, hit with power, and play adequately behind the plate would be almost as huge an advantage as having, say, two aces in your starting rotation or two offensive-advantageous middle infielders.

GIDP
08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Although you couple possibly see those guys get time at positions other than strictly catcher.

I could see days where they play other positions on days the other one catches. Could see them play LF or 1b/3b randomly if they both end up being good hitters.

lollipopcurve
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think they'd consider moving either one. You need two catchers in today's game. Desperately. (Not having three is currently killing the Red Sox, in fact.) Having two that could possibly hit, hit with power, and play adequately behind the plate would be almost as huge an advantage as having, say, two aces in your starting rotation or two offensive-advantageous middle infielders.

If the bats are excellent, they'll consider it. They can easily find a vet to be the 2nd catcher, maybe even Hanigan would stick around.

membengal
08-18-2010, 11:01 PM
I really am starting to wonder if Mes can force his way into Cincy for 2011. A tandem of Hanigan/Mes would save the Reds some coin...

Probably too soon...but, on the other hand....maybe not...

GIDP
08-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I really am starting to wonder if Mes can force his way into Cincy for 2011. A tandem of Hanigan/Mes would save the Reds some coin...

They have to give it a look if he finishes strong in AAA. Ramon overall is a good catcher but $3.5 million is a big chunk of cash for a team like the Reds. Not huge but combined with some other guys they could probably replace from the inside they probably can free up a decent chunk of change.

TStuck
08-18-2010, 11:47 PM
AAA debut: 2-4 with a walkoff grandslam in the 9th! What a start!!!:thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Rick Sweet on Mesoraco's memorable night:

“It was pretty incredible,” Sweet said. “He did a great job behind the plate catching a guy he had never caught before. He did an excellent, excellent job.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100818/SPORTS07/308180110/1036/Rookie+Mesoraco+s+grand+slam+in+ninth+lifts+Bats+5-3+past+Syracuse

mth123
08-19-2010, 05:36 AM

I've been saying this for a while. If Mes isn't ready at the beginning, a couple months in AAA to prevent super2 before a call-up seems appropriate. Fill in with Corky until then and save some cash.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Pretty big quote about him catching. Glad to see that.

lollipopcurve
08-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Pretty big quote about him catching. Glad to see that.

Agreed. Sweet, a former catcher, wouldn't say this for nothing.

TRF
08-19-2010, 10:15 AM
BA had him at 30 this year for the Reds. I'm sure he'll be listed quite a bit higher in the next list.

He's a top 10 prospect for the Reds right now, and there is a solid argument to put him #1. I'm going to be interested in where BA has him in their overall list. He's been dominant this year in almost every aspect of his game. IMO he may be the #1 or #2 catching prospect in the game right now.

Kudos for doug in his stance on him. I was non-committal on him with the caveat that he's way too young to be labeled a bust. doug was adamant that he had more than a solid future ahead of him.

lollipopcurve
08-19-2010, 10:26 AM
BA had him at 30 this year for the Reds. I'm sure he'll be listed quite a bit higher in the next list.

He's a top 10 prospect for the Reds right now, and there is a solid argument to put him #1. I'm going to be interested in where BA has him in their overall list. He's been dominant this year in almost every aspect of his game. IMO he may be the #1 or #2 catching prospect in the game right now.

Kudos for doug in his stance on him. I was non-committal on him with the caveat that he's way too young to be labeled a bust. doug was adamant that he had more than a solid future ahead of him.

What I didn't like about BA's take on Mesoraco is that they never acknowledged a few possible explanations for his slow start: 1. He was being promoted aggressively. 2. He had some injury issues. 3. He's a catcher -- by contrast they gave the Marlins' Kyle Skipworth a pass on his abysmal start by saying it's tough for catchers coming out of high school. No such excuse was ever made for Mesoraco, at least that I saw.

Usually BA is slow to trash a first round pick, yet with Mesoraco they seemed to focus only on the negatives -- none of the positive stuff Doug kept harping on. Now, as others note, it will be interesting to see how BA massages the story of his 2010 season. This was a a major reverse-whiff for them -- when they miss, it's almost always because of too much hype. Trashing a 1st rounder who then explodes.... may never have happened.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
they were just being lazy honestly. Although listing him 30 this year wasnt too far off if you look at just production, but they should know better. To be fair though I dont think anyone expected this type of season.

lollipopcurve
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
they were just being lazy honestly. Although listing him 30 this year wasnt too far off if you look at just production, but they should know better. To be fair though I dont think anyone expected this type of season.

True -- not even Doug could have foreseen this kind of season for Mesoraco. One needs to credit the scouting and development folks. There was a lot of talent there, and it is now blossoming after a very tough couple of winters.

No excuse for BA. They're supposed to be the expert prospect watchers.

Benihana
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I'll echo the others, although I would also advise proceeding with caution. I was one of Mez's bigger skeptics, and I have been really enjoying this year's surge. I am perfectly happy to admit when I am wrong, and it is certainly looking that way with Mez. That said, I hope he keeps it up into next year and I look forward to his Cincinnati debut hopefully sometime next Summer.

GIDP
08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
True -- not even Doug could have foreseen this kind of season for Mesoraco. One needs to credit the scouting and development folks. There was a lot of talent there, and it is now blossoming after a very tough couple of winters.

No excuse for BA. They're supposed to be the expert prospect watchers.

The reasoning they put him so low was lazy, not the ranking. The ranking was probably low but still he had a long way to go.

knoonan991
08-19-2010, 08:08 PM
If you would've told me this kid would've hit HR's in each of his first 2 games at AAA, I would have been beyond thrilled.

But back to back grand slams on back to back at bats?!

Wow. Color me impressed by what Mesoraco has done all year. I remember lurking in minor league talk about this time last year, and people were starting to get nervous about his progression. He's really been a treat to follow this year, I can't wait to see him in Red here for the next couple of years.

Mario-Rijo
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM

I'd put him at #2 in the Reds org. And I can't imagine there being a better catching prospect in baseball right now. BA had no, zero, zilch good reason for putting him 30th IMO, just flat lazy.

I have been high on him as well but to be fair Doug is the reason why, he pointed out the important aspects of Devins growth and kept us informed of them, kudos indeed. :thumbup:

All that said as magical as his season has been we'd do well not to expect Johnny Bench Jr. to show up in Cincy, it's just such a big adjustment. But I think it's safe to expect a guy who is solid all around to emerge at some point.

mace
08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm reluctant to post this, because I don't want it to be misconstrued. I'm not saying that Mesoraco will produce like Mike Piazza, whom I consider to be the best-hitting catcher ever. (Don't be upset. He was not in Bench's class defensively.)

But I couldn't resist the comparison. They're both tall, dark and strong. And they're both from Pennsylvania, which speaks to the rate of development. While Mes was drafted out of high school, Piazza spent a year at the U of Miami, where he hardly played, and another at Miami-Dade, where he was hurt much of the season.

Piazza started slowly as a professional, then broke out in his third season, when he played at Bakersfield of the hitting-friendly California League, Class High-A. His numbers at Bakersfield, where he played at the age of 22:

PA 506 / BA .277 / OBP .344 / HR 29 / 2B 27 / BB 47 / K 83 / SLG .540 / OPS .884

Mesoraco is in his fourth professional season, but he played no college ball. This is his breakout year. With several weeks to go, here are his combined numbers at Class High-A Lynchburg, AA Carolina and AAA Louisville, age 22:

PA 400 / BA .315 / OBP .388 / HR 25 / 2B 23 / BB 37 / K 69 / SLG .622 / OPS 1.010

As you can see, the home runs, doubles and K:BB ratio are nearly identical, if pro-rated. The principal--and virtually only--difference is Mesoraco's higher batting average, which leads to the higher slugging, OBP and OPS. Plus the fact that Mes is playing in better leagues. (And throws better.)

I just find it interesting, is all.

GOYA
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Consider this my official "I was wrong about Mesoraco" post. A tip of the cap to Doug and a reminder to myself to not have too strong an opinion about any player until I've seen them play.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Here is what I want to see from Mesoraco after talking to a scout friend who watched some video I took of him..... How does he handle the outside corner of the plate on offspeed pitches? The scout noted that because of his step in his swing, he could be vulnerable to offspeed stuff on the outside corner. So far in two AAA games, it seems that the pitchers are pounding the outside corner. That is what I will be watching with him over the next 2-3 weeks.

membengal
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, that gives him something to work on.

My excitement over Mes is not that he is going to be the next Bench/Piazza/whomever, but that it looks like I can plan on him being a guy to plug into the C spot in Cincy who might give the team a .725 or so OPS with plus defense. If that's his baseline, then anything over that is gravy. And if that is his baseline, that is a cost effective solution to C for the next half decade or so. That would be huge for the organization.

lollipopcurve
08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Here is what I want to see from Mesoraco after talking to a scout friend who watched some video I took of him..... How does he handle the outside corner of the plate on offspeed pitches? The scout noted that because of his step in his swing, he could be vulnerable to offspeed stuff on the outside corner. So far in two AAA games, it seems that the pitchers are pounding the outside corner. That is what I will be watching with him over the next 2-3 weeks.

"Hard stuff in, soft stuff away." It's formulaic, but it works.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
"Hard stuff in, soft stuff away." It's formulaic, but it works.

It works if you can do it. A lot of guys can't and when you try soft stuff away and miss, it goes a long way at times.

lollipopcurve
08-20-2010, 01:37 PM
It works if you can do it. A lot of guys can't and when you try soft stuff away and miss, it goes a long way at times.

No doubt. Lots of guys don't want to pitch inside, either.

GIDP
08-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the trend of pitching inside is coming back.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
From todays Hot Sheet Chat (where they finally answered a question I asked)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1282321891

Devin Mesoraco (Louisville): Am I the best catching prospect still in the minor leagues?

Matthew Eddy: Devin, you just might be, if we assume that the Royals will shift Wil Myers to 3B or RF to get his bat in the big leagues sooner rather than later. I did a double-take when I looked at Mesoraco's numbers this morning: .315/.388/.622 with 23 2B and 25 HR. To top it off, he's gunned down 41 percent of basestealers. He recently joined the prospect-studded Triple-A Louisville club, so I look forward to seeing him in the IL playoffs, maybe against Durham. On a side note, I love that Louisville roster: Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Yonder Alonso, Zack Cozart, Chris Valaika, Aroldis Chapman. Too bad they won't have Travis Wood and Logan Ondrusek for the playoffs.

BRM
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Doug.

redsfandan
08-20-2010, 10:40 PM
From todays Hot Sheet Chat (where they finally answered a question I asked)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1282321891

Devin Mesoraco (Louisville): Am I the best catching prospect still in the minor leagues?

Matthew Eddy: Devin, you just might be, if we assume that the Royals will shift Wil Myers to 3B or RF to get his bat in the big leagues sooner rather than later. I did a double-take when I looked at Mesoraco's numbers this morning: .315/.388/.622 with 23 2B and 25 HR. To top it off, he's gunned down 41 percent of basestealers. He recently joined the prospect-studded Triple-A Louisville club, so I look forward to seeing him in the IL playoffs, maybe against Durham. On a side note, I love that Louisville roster: Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Yonder Alonso, Zack Cozart, Chris Valaika, Aroldis Chapman. Too bad they won't have Travis Wood and Logan Ondrusek for the playoffs.
I like how you put them on the spot. I realize that's only one BA writer but his response was interesting nonetheless.

BakoTheTako
08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
It looks like Devin might be getting a little cocky asking people if he's the best catching prospect.

GIDP
08-28-2010, 08:36 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=http%3A//mfile.akamai.com/10869/wmv/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2010/open/mlbam/2010/08/20/mlbtv_11166697_400K.wmv&type=v_free&_mp=1

Here is devin's 2nd of the 2 grand slams in AAA.

Jim
08-28-2010, 10:38 AM
It looks like Devin might be getting a little cocky asking people if he's the best catching prospect.

Pretty sure that wasn't actually Devin submitting that question, but a fan posting the question using Devin's name.

dougdirt
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure that wasn't actually Devin submitting that question, but a fan posting the question using Devin's name.

Correct, because it was me.

edabbs44
08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
KLaw tentatively believes that Mes will be in his top 50 for next year.

LoganBuck
08-28-2010, 01:07 PM
KLaw tentatively believes that Mes will be in his top 50 for next year.

I would love to see the stats on the other 50 maybes.

AWA85
08-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Great video of his slam, but does anyone have any photos or know of any photographs from either his first game or second game. Trying to locate a picture of him before one of his slams.

Thanks a ton, been trying to track one down!

edabbs44
08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I would love to see the stats on the other 50 maybes.

Someone asked in his chat if he would be in his top 100 and he said that he would tenatively say top 50. That could mean much higher as well.

SoTxRedsFan
08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=10183

Baseball America Podcast discussing top candidates for Minor League POY. Mes getting some love in the Podcast.

We're close to announcing our Minor League Player of the Year award. To help get you ready, John Manuel and Matt Eddy analyzed the pluses and minuses of the top candidates

Here's a guide to the podcast.

Start-2:30: MLB Network talk
2:30-11:20: Minor League POY talk, starting with hitters Brandon Belt, Devin Mesoraco, J.P. Arencibia, Jerry Sands

GIDP
08-28-2010, 06:23 PM
interesting

SoTxRedsFan
08-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't agree with them claiming the Grandal drafting signals how the Reds' felt about Mes at the time.

GIDP
08-28-2010, 06:28 PM
they want me to download some plug in or something on that page.

anyways http://media.baseballamerica.com/m3u/free/100826.m3u is the direct streaming content or what ever.

GIDP
08-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Basically they said this.

We had him 30 for the Reds to start the year, we cant be wrong

Grandal means the Reds hate Mes also

Brandon Wood once was good.

That basically is what they said about Mes.