PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

BCubb2003
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
What comes after closer?

Old pitchers throw as hard as ever, but the ball doesn't go as fast. Cordero throws as fast as ever, but he has to throw harder than he can.

The best thing about not being in a six-team division is that you can't be sixth.

Scoreboard watching is OK, but I don't think I can handle worrying about another team's closer.

Measuring a closer's decline is like a guy falling off the Empire State Building and at the 34th floor he yells out, "Doing OK so far!"

If Dusty Baker doesn't get an extension, I blame Bob Boone.

Are we the grumpiest first-place fans or what?

VR
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Measuring a closer's decline is like a guy falling off the Empire State Building and at the 34th floor he yells out, "Doing OK so far!"

I "lol'd" at that one

WebScorpion
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
What comes after closer?

Reopener? :eek:

ochre
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Reopener? :eek:
closest.

KittyDuran
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM
closest.And after all the versions of "close", the next word in the dictionary is "close call"! :eek:

RedsManRick
08-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Not spent much time in New York or Philly?

sabometrics
08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
What comes after closer?

http://io9.com/assets/resources/2007/10/reanimator.jpg

durl
08-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Speaking of Cordero, I've been wondering lately if I need to check the records to see if I'm being consistent.

Here's the thing: I don't have faith in Cordero. I know, he's 5th in MLB in Saves but looking at the numbers, it's hard to believe that he ranks that high. Examining ONLY the current top 10 in Saves, Cordero is 3 away from the MLB lead yet he ranks 7th in Save Percentage (something Dusty thinks is Cordero's strong suit??) at 83%; he ranks last in K/BB ratio at a meager 1.4; he has the worst WHIP at 1.55; batters put up .242 against him; his ERA is the worst in the top 10 at 4.11!!!

Now, back when Weathers was our closer, I defended him, thinking that he got the job done although it wasn't pretty. So I tracked down Weathers' stats from his last season as closer, 2007. His ERA was slightly better than Cordero at 3.59, and Save% was also slightly better at 84.6 and he recorded 31 Saves for the season. WHIP was lower at 1.21. His K/BB was also higher at 1.8 and batters were .233 against him. Weathers blew 6 saves in 2007 and Cordero has already reached that number.

In 2007, Weathers made $2.25 million. In 2010, Cordero is making $12 million.

So here I am, thinking I'm being too hard on Cordero because I defended Weathers. But when I look at what each pitcher cost, Weathers gave almost the same amount of bang for 80% fewer bucks. I realize I'm looking at only one year here and looking at several years of data would give a better overall picture. I just have a hard time being comfortable with a closer giving up so many runs and walks...especially one making $12/year.

WVRedsFan
08-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Absolutely. We've earned that right after 10+ years of misery!

Great Post.

Orenda
08-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Why can't baseball teams have offensive coordinators?

I often wonder why baseball insists that the manager fill out the lineup card. Now I'm sure that there are some behind the scenes discussions that influence a manager's lineups, particularly with the more stat oriented organizations. However I don't get the feeling that is the case in Cincinnati with Dusty.

And with the speculation surrounding Dusty about his current job status, I often think that he would benefit greatly from not bearing the responsibility of setting the batting order. Despite the fact he does things I don't agree with at times I don't think the man is clueless about baseball and he does seem to have a way of dealing with players. Which IMO seems like a good characteristic to have as a leader of a baseball team.

Often leaders within organizations are not always required, nor expected to have the most technical knowledge about every single topic, yet they usually have a good enough general knowledge to be able to communicate what they need to have done with others in a way that get results.

Therefore, the manager filling out the lineup just seems like another inefficient baseball tradition to me. Hire somebody for the job, delegate that task to the hitting coach, use a computer or a bill james wannabe for all I care, but take the job away from the manager please...especially when it's Dusty

end of thought

gm
08-09-2010, 01:50 AM
What comes after closer?

Coco should be called a "farther" because when he loses his release point, with each pitch he gets farther and farther from the 27th out.