PDA

View Full Version : NL Central & NL Wildcard Scoreboard Watching, Part III

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Astros lead the Cardinals 3-0 in the top of the 9th inning.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Cards lose. 7 game lead.

Woot.

Cyclone792
08-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Reds win! Cardinals lose!

Seven games up!!

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8569/seinfeldlaugh.jpg

Redsfan320
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
It's good to be a Reds fan. It's good to be a Reds fan. IT'S GOOD TO BE A REDS FAN!!!!!

Dan
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
7 games up!

7 games up!!!!

The Voice of IH
08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
What could possibly go wrong?

Captain Hook
08-31-2010, 11:39 PM
It has to be getting to the point that it would take something out of the ordinary for the Cards to get back in this.7 games with only 30 to play seems like a lot to overcome.I think I've heard a stat at some point indicating how difficult it is to make up more then 5 games in the last month of the season.I'm not completely counting out St. Louis but I know feel pretty confident that the Reds are going to win this.

HeatherC1212
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow. Is this really happening??! If I'm dreaming right now, I never want to wake up, LOL :lol:

GO REDS!! :jump:

UKFlounder
08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Perhaps, but the New York Mets of recent vintage (2007 & 08?) and even Detroit last year show that leads can evaporate quickly. Fortunately (I guess) there are only 3 more head-to-head meetings with St. Louis left for the Redlegs

It has to be getting to the point that it would take something out of the ordinary for the Cards to get back in this.7 games with only 30 to play seems like a lot to overcome.I think I've heard a stat at some point indicating how difficult it is to make up more then 5 games in the last month of the season.I'm not completely counting out St. Louis but I know feel pretty confident that the Reds are going to win this.

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Perhaps, but the New York Mets of recent vintage (2007 & 08?) and even Detroit last year show that leads can evaporate quickly. Fortunately (I guess) there are only 3 more head-to-head meetings with St. Louis left for the Redlegs
The quickest way for a team to make up games is by going head to head. Only have 3 meetings left is definatley advantage Reds.

sivman17
08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
18 days ago the Reds were 1 game back. Now they are 7 games up. Amazing.

Reds have the 2nd largest division lead in all of baseball. Feels gooooood to be a Reds fan.

Playadlc
08-31-2010, 11:53 PM
I could just look at this for hours.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs362.snc4/44563_459713040890_742655890_6786497_2524716_n.jpg

reds1869
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I could just look at this for hours.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs362.snc4/44563_459713040890_742655890_6786497_2524716_n.jpg

That is the sweetest thing I've seen all day.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
A thing of beauty. :)

Homer Bailey
09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Cards are 18 games over at home and the Reds are 13 over. The Cards are 10-5 vs. the Reds.

If you heard that before the season, who could have believed we'd be up 7 games on August 31???

Brutus
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Arizona leads the suddenly struggling San Diego 7-3 through 6.

San Fran leads Colorado 2-1.

Philly leads 6-2 over LA.

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
I might be wrong here, but is tonight the first night the Run Diff. has favored the Reds this season?

And man, we as fans have earned this ride.

NOW GO OUT AND SUPPORT THIS TEAM!

We'll be at all 4 games here vs the Rockies!

Sea Ray
09-01-2010, 12:54 AM

We need to survive the head to head this weekend. It'd be great to win the first one on Friday; anything after that is gravy.

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Everyone is 'praying' we win 1 in St. Louis. I'm looking for the Reds to win the series and possibly go for the sweep. To hell with the nail biting to get only 1 win! :thumbup:

Brutus
09-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Padres lost again tonight, 7-4. That means the Reds and Braves are tied for the league's best record a half game ahead of San Diego.

Giants are beating the Rockies 5-2 late and the Phillies are up 8-4.

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2010, 02:51 AM
I might be wrong here, but is tonight the first night the Run Diff. has favored the Reds this season?

And man, we as fans have earned this ride.

NOW GO OUT AND SUPPORT THIS TEAM!

We'll be at all 4 games here vs the Rockies!

No...not the first time. It's gone back and forth the last month or so.

Nobody should discount the fact that pythag wise...the Cards and Reds' records should be a lot closer than they are.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
No...not the first time. It's gone back and forth the last month or so.

Nobody should discount the fact that pythag wise...the Cards and Reds' records should be a lot closer than they are.

It was looking a lot better for the Reds before their pitching staff went out and laid a turd in San Francisco to the tune of a -19 run differential over 3 games.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Pythag-the Reds record is legit. They have been within a couple of games of it since they arrived in first place. The Cards recent nosedive has put them as underperforming their pythag, but prior to that, they were also right at the expected record like the Reds.

In SF, my take is that the Giants had a fluke offensive spurt series that coincided with the Reds happenstancedly being their opponent, which really had very little to do with Reds pitching or Giants hitting, but the craziness and unpredictability of any particular series in MLB.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Everyone is 'praying' we win 1 in St. Louis. I'm looking for the Reds to win the series and possibly go for the sweep. To hell with the nail biting to get only 1 win! :thumbup:

The way the Cardinals are playing now... anything less than a sweep should be a disapointment. The Reds should win easy.

membengal
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
The way the Cardinals are playing now... anything less than a sweep should be a disapointment. The Reds should win easy.

Nice try reverse jinx guy. Cardinals could wake up from a coma and they would play like the '27 Yankees against the Reds. I fully expect them to come home from their zombie trip and start killing the ball and pitching like they can.

I am just glad the Reds have built themselves a bit of a cushion.

nate
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice try reverse jinx guy. Cardinals could wake up from a coma and they would play like the '27 Yankees against the Reds. I fully expect them to come home from their zombie trip and start killing the ball and pitching like they can.

The bigger the cushion...

:cool:

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Well...as you know...I firmly believe in jinxes. Call me Mr. Superstition. lol I admit when it's a reverse jinx though. This is just being realistic. Even with Waino, Carp, and Garcia pitching, the Cards need to score in order to win. Their offense has been worse than I've seen all year. Pitching wins games, but even the best pitcher needs some run support. The Cardinals really can't beat anybody right now. What makes you think they will all of a sudden learn how to hit against the Reds?

Roy Tucker
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
The Cardinals really can't beat anybody right now. What makes you think they will all of a sudden learn how to hit against the Reds?

After watching the Giants offense flounder for weeks and then suddenly light up the Reds' pitching like the '27 Yankees vs. St. Mary's School for Blind Nuns, I ain't ruling anything out.

Desperate team + rabid home crowd + September = funny things can happen.

membengal
09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Well...as you know...I firmly believe in jinxes. Call me Mr. Superstition. lol I admit when it's a reverse jinx though. This is just being realistic. Even with Waino, Carp, and Garcia pitching, the Cards need to score in order to win. Their offense has been worse than I've seen all year. Pitching wins games, but even the best pitcher needs some run support. The Cardinals really can't beat anybody right now. What makes you think they will all of a sudden learn how to hit against the Reds?

The Giants did. After a desultory long road trip, they came home and spent three days hitting like the '27 Yankees. Stuff happens.

membengal
09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
After watching the Giants offense flounder for weeks and then suddenly light up the Reds' pitching like the '27 Yankees vs. St. Mary's School for Blind Nuns, I ain't ruling anything out.

Desperate team + rabid home crowd + September = funny things can happen.

That's what I get for not reading down before responding.

+1 to what RT wrote here.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
That's what I get for not reading down before responding.

+1 to what RT wrote here.+2

Our starters generally aren't missing bats these days, so they are susceptible to bleeders, dinkers, dunks, seeing-eye singles, bloops and other assorted random chance hits. Those things seem to go in cycles, and currently the poorly hit balls are finding holes. I fully expect that to continue in St. Louis.

vaticanplum
09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Side note, has anyone else here considered how much it must suck to be an Astros fan? They seem to turn it on every single year at the precise moment when it's too late to make a difference.

RedsManRick
09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
According to the BP Playoff Odds Report, the Reds have the best chance of making the playoffs of any team in baseball at 97.12%

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
+2

Our starters generally aren't missing bats these days, so they are susceptible to bleeders, dinkers, dunks, seeing-eye singles, bloops and other assorted random chance hits. Those things seem to go in cycles, and currently the poorly hit balls are finding holes. I fully expect that to continue in St. Louis.

Well...thanks guys... you are all giving me hope that the Cardinals will turn on their offense once the Reds come to town. Thanks for the reassurance guys. :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Well...thanks guys... you are all giving me hope that the Cardinals will turn on their offense once the Reds come to town. Thanks for the reassurance guys. :thumbup:

What I really hope is that the Reds get early leads, keep their foot on the Cardinals' neck and a shotgun to their head, wrap up games before the Busch crowd gets all riled up, and get the heck out of Dodge without a whole lot of histronics and hoopla.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Really, the only hope I have for the Cardinals success this weekend is that the comments from BP made last time can get them fired up for this series. Nothing else seems to be working.... not even shaving their heads.

Sea Ray
09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
According to the BP Playoff Odds Report, the Reds have the best chance of making the playoffs of any team in baseball at 97.12%

I don't see how the Reds chances could be better than Texas or the Yankees. I wouldn't take too seriously anything else that report gives you...

medford
09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't see how the Reds chances could be better than Texas or the Yankees. I wouldn't take too seriously anything else that report gives you...

I assume it uses projected record, ie taking into consideration the quality of opponents ahead of them. The yankees & Rangers likely have several big games ahead of them, at least more than the Reds anyways, so more chances for those behind them to gain ground quickly.

membengal
09-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Yankees close with the second hardest schedule by winning percentage among those with playoff hopes. And it's a computer program, so mystique probably isn't given much weight...

OesterPoster
09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Just a reminder, Cards and 'Stros start at 2:05 today. With Suppan vs. Figueroa, I'm going to put the over/under on combined runs at 13. Cards are due to break out of their nasty hitting slump in a big way.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Just a reminder, Cards and 'Stros start at 2:05 today. With Suppan vs. Figueroa, I'm going to put the over/under on combined runs at 13. Cards are due to break out of their nasty hitting slump in a big way.

I have a feeling that pitching Suppan today just might be what the Cards need. This could be a move that jump starts the Cards. Suppan will be pitching for his career today. If he does bad, then he may not get any more starts and then could be looking for a minor league deal next year from some team. If he pitches well, then he could take the #5 spot in the rotation and bump Kyle Lohse to the bullpen. This could be make it or break it for Suppan. Overall, Suppan has been an average pitcher at best throughout his career. Most of the time he has been below average, but he has pitched some very good games when his back was against the wall. If the Cards lose today....then maybe nothing will help them.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a feeling that pitching Suppan today just might be what the Cards need. This could be a move that jump starts the Cards.

MattyMo, you are a fine specimen of fandom.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM

It's not a slump, though. They genuinely do not have a very good offense. They have four key players under 700 OPS--the most in baseball. In a short series, given the way things break, I certainly expect them to bust out for runs against the Reds. But what they're going through is not a slump.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
MattyMo, you are a fine specimen of fandom.

well you guys have talked me into thinking the Cards can get out of this rut. lol I was thinking the Cards wouldn't get things going again, but if ya'll think the Cards bats will wake up against the Reds, then they might as well start today. ;)

OesterPoster
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
It's not a slump, though. They genuinely do not have a very good offense. They have four key players under 700 OPS--the most in baseball. In a short series, given the way things break, I certainly expect them to bust out for runs against the Reds. But what they're going through is not a slump.

Pujols and Holliday are slumping, do you not agree?

PuffyPig
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
well you guys have talked me into thinking the Cards can get out of this rut. lol I was thinking the Cards wouldn't get things going again, but if ya'll think the Cards bats will wake up against the Reds, then they might as well start today. ;)

The Cards have scored quite well since the all star break, so their hitting isn't as bad as the Cards fans think.

But it's built entirely upon Pujols and Holliday.

If they get much contribution from the rest, it's usually more random than anything else, as even poor hitters get hits sometimes.

And the Cards are due some random fortune I would say.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Matty,

About all this Reds fan is doing is placing low expectations on the upcoming series due to that freaky thing in sports where one team dominates another in an anomaly. It doesn't seem to matter what is going on, the Cards play their best ball against the Reds.

Sort of like the 'Stros have the Cards number this year.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Pujols and Holliday are slumping, do you not agree?

Albert Pujols just had a 1.230 OPS in the month of August with 11 homers and over 30 RBIs. Matt Holliday has hits in 12 of his last 13 games.

Do I think they're slumping? Not at all.

medford
09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I have a feeling that pitching Suppan today just might be what the Cards need. This could be a move that jump starts the Cards. Suppan will be pitching for his career today. If he does bad, then he may not get any more starts and then could be looking for a minor league deal next year from some team. If he pitches well, then he could take the #5 spot in the rotation and bump Kyle Lohse to the bullpen. This could be make it or break it for Suppan. Overall, Suppan has been an average pitcher at best throughout his career. Most of the time he has been below average, but he has pitched some very good games when his back was against the wall. If the Cards lose today....then maybe nothing will help them.

You have no idea how many times I thought that about Dave Williams, Eric Milton, Kyle Lohse, Joey Hamilton, etc... Good for Suppan if he turns it on today, but if I was the Cards I would have pitched Garcia today and prayed for Rain on Friday. Today is pretty much a must win for the Cards, win today, hope the Reds lose, then hope you can take 2 or 3 this weekend and find yourself 3 or 5 games back with about 27 to go. Certainly much better than being 7 or worse back w/ 27 to go.

PuffyPig
09-01-2010, 03:17 PM
In August the Cards had the third best runs per game average in the NL, above 5 per game.

So, in August, thier hitting wasn't slumping.

cumberlandreds
Holliday homers and the Cards lead 2-0. Middle of the first.

OesterPoster
Albert Pujols just had a 1.230 OPS in the month of August with 11 homers and over 30 RBIs. Matt Holliday has hits in 12 of his last 13 games.

Do I think they're slumping? Not at all.

I'm not talking about an entire month's worth of data for Pujols. He's 3 for his last 18.

MattyHo4Life
In August the Cards had the third best runs per game average in the NL, above 5 per game.

So, in August, thier hitting wasn't slumping.

Right....the Cardinals bats have only been slumping the last couple of weeks. Ever since they left Cincinnati.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm not talking about an entire month's worth of data for Pujols. He's 3 for his last 18.

I would hardly call that a slump. That's just normal fluctuation for any ballplayer over the course of a few games.

PuffyPig
09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Right....the Cardinals bats have only been slumping the last couple of weeks. Ever since they left Cincinnati.

SInce that time they have averaged 4.24 RPG.

Until 3 games ago, they had averaged 5 runs per game in August, so you might suggest their hitting slump as a team is 3 games old.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
SInce that time they have averaged 4.24 RPG.

Until 3 games ago, they had averaged 5 runs per game in August, so you might suggest their hitting slump as a team is 3 games old.

What was their rpg for the rest of August?

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Mostly "Mass Effect 2" and "Final Fantasy XIII" ;)

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Mostly "Mass Effect 2" and "Final Fantasy XIII" ;)

omg i totally walked right into that one. lol nice one CE

Hopefully their rpg for September is WOW

Cedric
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Everybody but brainwashed Cardinal fans and their GM knew that Jay was due a major regression.

I love it.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Cards still lead 2-0 after three.

PuffyPig
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Well, if it's 5 RPG for August, and less than 5 RPG after they played the Reds, it must be greater than 5 RPG for the rest of August.

Until the last 3 game stretch, the Cards were averaging more than 5 RPG anyway you cut it. Even 2 runs in the last 3 games hasn't brought that average down.

Reds Fanatic
09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Cards left the bases loaded in the 5th. Still 2-0 Cards mid 5th.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
It's time for 'stros to bring out the real Jeff Suppan in Jeff Suppan.

Get some runs, Houston!

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Leadoff walk for the 'stros in Bot. 5th....

Cedric
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
It's time for 'stros to bring out the real Jeff Suppan in Jeff Suppan.

Get some runs, Houston!

The Astros are winning with a horrible lineup. I have no idea how.

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Double to the wall in LCF! 2nd & 3rd 0 outs!

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
3-2 ground out. Sigh. 1 out, men at the corners.

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Bourn with a DEEP fly out to CF. Sac Fly. 2-1 Cards. 2 down, man on 1st.

SirFelixCat
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
3 run HR for the Fish! (Hunter Pence!)

Astros lead. TY Mr. Suppan!

The Operator
09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Hunter Pence! 4-2 Astros! :D :D :D

cumberlandreds
09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Hunter Pence a 3 run HR!!! 4-2 Stros in the 5th.

PuffyPig
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I almost peed my pence there.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I almost peed my pence there.Aha, I see what you did there. :cool:

traderumor
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Pence homer, Astros up 4-2

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Underpants coming through in the clutch.

Playadlc
Pence is having a very nice season.

The Operator
Brad Mills going all TLR on the Cards, goes to another reliever with 1 out in the 6th.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Pence is having a very nice season.I've never liked him for some reason. Probably the fact that he wears an opposing team's jersey. I love him today though! :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
4-2 Astros in the bottom of the 7th.

BoydsOfSummer
09-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Live bonus coverage on MLB Network.

Sea Ray
09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Yankees close with the second hardest schedule by winning percentage among those with playoff hopes. And it's a computer program, so mystique probably isn't given much weight...

That's the problem with computers. I'd much rather be chased by the A's who have never been much more than a .500 team all year than the Cards with Pujols, Holliday, Wainright and Carpenter, latest losing streak not withstanding. It's much more possible that they could get hot and run a few off than the A's

Degenerate39
09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
5-2. Bourn is fast

OesterPoster
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Pence steals 2nd base, and my fantasy team rejoices. :)

CTA513
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
According to gameday Ryan is playing 2nd and Schumaker is playing SS.
Any reason for that?

The Operator
09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
According to gameday Ryan is playing 2nd and Schumaker is playing SS.
Any reason for that?

Tony is a genius and he'd thank you not to question his decisions. ;)

BoydsOfSummer
09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Ryan is playing SS. Just saw him take the throw on a Pence steal.

VR
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Reds looking to go into StL up 7 or 8 games.

I think it would be nice to put out a Sunday special lineup Friday night. LeCure on the hill, Cairo playing 1st and batting 3rd, Janish leading off, Francisco at third.

Just would be pure sweetness.

BoydsOfSummer
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Abad mows down the mighty Cards in the 8th. Yay team!

OesterPoster
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
3 up, 3 down in the top of the 8th. Abad was agood.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
1-2-3 8th inning. 5-2 Astros heading to the bottom of the 8th.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Still 5-2 in the top of the 9th. One out and nobody on with Lopez up.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
5-2 Astros heading into the 9th inning.

Raisor
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
5-2 Astros heading into the 9th inning.

I feel all tingley inside.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Two outs now after Lopez strikes out swinging.

BoydsOfSummer
Fleep whiffs....2 down.

vaticanplum
Cards fans are taking active steps toward finding the team they had several months ago:

http://punchingkitty.com/2010/09/01/craigslist-anyone-seen-the-cardinals-team-we-had-in-april/

Ghosts of 1990
Blitz Dorsey might have been right

dsmith421
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Let me just say this: if the Reds were in contention and then went 2-8 on a road trip to Pittsburgh, Washington, and Houston, I would be on suicide watch and so would most of you.

The Reds have a chance to put an absolute headshot on the Cards this weekend.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Schumaker grounds out, game over Cardinals lose!

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Wow, thank you Astros! Reds magic number drops to 24 and they have a chance to extend their lead to eight games with a win tonight.

Cyclone792
Phillies are beating the Dodgers 2-0 in the bottom of the 5th. Oswalt's pitching a no-hitter, but an error on Werth on a shallow fly ball has given the Dodgers a runner on second.

Let's hope the Reds keep rolling, because I'd really like to make the next version of this thread a "best NL record watch" to finish off the season.

dougdirt
I am having fun right now. Lots of fun.

vaticanplum
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Let me just say this: if the Reds were in contention and then went 2-8 on a road trip to Pittsburgh, Washington, and Houston, I would be on suicide watch and so would most of you.

The Reds have a chance to put an absolute headshot on the Cards this weekend.

The Cardinals haven't played particularly well against the poorer teams in the division all season. In fact I'd say that's the major difference between these two teams -- the Reds had that terrible sweep in Pittsburgh early on and since then have pretty much rolled over four of the six NL Central teams.

This is an extraordinary skid, though. They might get fired up enough to sweep the Reds, but what a hole they've put themselves in.

traderumor
Thank you Astros! Still nervous about the 7 game roadtrip, but this certainly puts the Reds in position to continue the infliction of pain.

RichRed
Superfreakingterrific! What a season.

OUReds
09-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow, the Cardinals are an absolute trainwreck right now.

HeatherC1212
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Wow. :eek:

Reds Fanatic
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Looking ahead to the Cardinals schedule the next 3 weekends they play the 3 teams fighting it out for best record in the NL the Reds, Braves and Padres.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
it's over.... they've got to be done.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
It's actually kind of interesting. If the Reds even manage to win one game in St. Louis (basically just not getting swept), Cardinals fans may actually want to root for the Reds next week at Colorado.

If the Rockies win tonight, they'll move ahead of St. Louis in the wildcard chase.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM

IMO the only breathe of life they could get would be to sweep the Reds. If they did that it could energize them into a hot streak. But otherwise I don't think they can catch the Reds.

CarolinaRedleg
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I just hope they don't find themselves this weekend. Garcia, Carpenter and Wainwright are going to be tough.

oneupper
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM

The WC is possible if they get hot again. That's really hard to do without hair.

KronoRed
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM

I bet the 64 Phillies thought so ;)

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I bet the 64 Phillies thought so ;)

Which is why I think Friday night is a huge game. The Cardinals are in a tailspin and the LAST thing the Reds want is them coming out with a W to open the series and getting the ship righted.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, Suppan lost the game for them today but by God, at least Tony got his big 3 all lined up to face us, potentially being down by 8 games.

I love that he looked past The Astros. Just love it.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Which is why I think Friday night is a huge game. The Cardinals are in a tailspin and the LAST thing the Reds want is them coming out with a W to open the series and getting the ship righted.

I think that's going back to where we started a few weeks ago. I tried saying this before the last St. Louis series - people are putting way too much emphasis on one series. Look where we are now?

On the contrary... I think the Reds need to treat this series as any other. Go in loose and ready to play. If they lose Friday, regroup and go get 'em on Saturday.

The Reds could be landing in St. Louis up 8 games. As such, I don't consider these games huge. I consider them a small piece in a 24 (or 23 after tonight) piece puzzle.

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
This past 10 game stretch has been stunning to say the least. Back right after the Cards swept us, I looked at this 10 game period as being very critical. Because the Cards had 3 against the Pirates, 4 against the Nationals, and 3 against the Astros. I could easily envision them winning 8 or 9 out of those 10. Instead they LOSE 8 out of those 10. They've simply GOT to be in full panic mode after going 2-8 against the Bucs, Nats & 'stros. Wow.

It's to the point now, that my biggest concern isn't the Cardinals...it's injuries.

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, Suppan lost the game for them today but by God, at least Tony got his big 3 all lined up to face us, potentially being down by 8 games.

I love that he looked past The Astros. Just love it.

And don't think for a second that the Astros didn't notice it too.

reds44
09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The upcoming series is almost a most sweep for the Cardinals.

VR
09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
The upcoming series is almost a most sweep for the Cardinals.

Even then....it's a long shot down 5 games.

I said it earlier.....throw LeCure and rest Votto and Rolen Friday night. Just to give TLr some love. Oh how I would love it.

RedsMan3203
09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
JoeStrauss

Cardinals are officially as close to fourth place now as they are to first. #Wow

Wow...

Chip R
09-01-2010, 11:34 PM
So, when will LaRussa begin insinuating that the other NL Central teams are lying down for the Reds while playing StL like it's the 7th game of the World Series?

Tom Servo
09-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm certainly not ready to call this fight done. 'It ain't over till it's over' is very apropos here. The Reds just need to keep focused on their business.

HokieRed
09-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Gotta keep grinding. Win every day.

Tornon
09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I like the fact that if we happen to go 0-7 on this roadtrip we will be in first place when we come home to the Pirates & Diamondbacks

Brutus
09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Tim Lincecum got healthy tonight. He outdueled Ubaldo, pitching 8 innings, giving up only a run on 5 hits and a walk and striking out 9.

Giants win 2-1 over the Rockies.

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2010, 01:52 AM
8 games at the start of September is an amazing lead, but not big enough in my opinion yet. If the Reds sweep the Cards, then the lead will be big enough. Heck, if the Reds can take 2 out of 3, that might be enough. It may be unrealistic, but I'll feel more comfortable if the Reds can get to 10 games ahead of the Cards. It's not like the Cardinals are in capable of going on a big run.

The Operator
09-02-2010, 01:57 AM
8 games at the start of September is an amazing lead, but not big enough in my opinion yet. If the Reds sweep the Cards, then the lead will be big enough. Heck, if the Reds can take 2 out of 3, that might be enough. It may be unrealistic, but I'll feel more comfortable if the Reds can get to 10 games ahead of the Cards. It's not like the Cardinals are in capable of going on a big run.Exactly.

The Reds need to keep putting nails in The Cards' coffin. In fact, forget nails, let's go for industrial rivets. And then let's wrap said coffin up in a blanket and throw it off a bridge.

If the Lost Decade has taught me anything, it's that nothing about this season can be taken for granted. I won't let my guard down until The Cardinals are officially eliminated.

Ron Madden
09-02-2010, 03:57 AM
My prediction in Gonelongs annual prediction thread was the Reds would win 78 games in 2010.

Fact is I was wrong and there isn't anyone in Reds Country any happier than I am right now. :thumbup:

redsmetz
09-02-2010, 06:41 AM
My prediction in Gonelongs annual prediction thread was the Reds would win 78 games in 2010.

Fact is I was wrong and there isn't anyone in Reds Country any happier than I am right now. :thumbup:

In one sense, you were right. We did win 78 games this season. You just neglected add the caveat that you meant by September 1st.

Redsfan320
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Pitching match-ups:

Fri: Arroyo-Garcia
Sat: Wood-Wainwright
Sun: Bailey-Carpenter

Would really be nice to come out on top Friday.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I smell blood in the water out West. The Pads have hit their first major skid of the year and the streaky and talented Rockies are lurking, seemingly in the distance. The Pads have been doing it Miracle Mets style all season, but will the pitching hold up?

We are hitting two desperate teams consecutively. It'll be fun to see how that plays out. Hope it doesn't turn into a buzz saw for the Reds.

medford
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I wonder how much the Rockies have considered throw Ubaldo on short rest Sunday to take on the Padres. If I thought his arm could handle it, I'd do it if I was the Rockies.

PuffyPig
09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I wonder how much the Rockies have considered throw Ubaldo on short rest Sunday to take on the Padres. If I thought his arm could handle it, I'd do it if I was the Rockies.

Pitchers who aren't used to pitching on 3 days rest aren't usually that successful.

MattyHo4Life
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
It may be unrealistic, but I'll feel more comfortable if the Reds can get to 10 games ahead of the Cards. It's not like the Cardinals are in capable of going on a big run.

I don't think it is unrealistic at all. The Reds are playing good and the Cardinals are playing bad. The Reds should win at least 2 of 3.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think it is unrealistic at all. The Reds are playing good and the Cardinals are playing bad. The Reds should win at least 2 of 3.No way, the Cards have the mojo on the Reds. They will dominate. Reverse jinx reversed.

fearofpopvol1
09-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I don't think it is unrealistic at all. The Reds are playing good and the Cardinals are playing bad. The Reds should win at least 2 of 3.

Even if the Reds win 2/3, the Reds only put another game on the Cards. I think getting to that 10th game will be tough.

The Reds easily could go on a bad streak as well. 30 games is a lot.

The Operator
09-03-2010, 01:46 AM
I don't think it is unrealistic at all. The Reds are playing good and the Cardinals are playing bad. The Reds should win at least 2 of 3.You stop that, mister.

No more of your reverse jinxes this time. :)

Ron Madden
09-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Pitchers who aren't used to pitching on 3 days rest aren't usually that successful.

Gene Mauch tried something akin to that in 1964. (didn't work)

traderumor
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
You stop that, mister.

No more of your reverse jinxes this time. :)No worries, I reversed it. Cards will reach deep down, sweep instead of sleep as they have been doing.

Chip R
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Gene Mauch tried something akin to that in 1964. (didn't work)

I think it was worse than that. He was pitching Chris Short and Jim Bunning(?) on 2 days rest.

The Voice of IH
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
No worries, I reversed it. Cards will reach deep down, sweep instead of sleep as they have been doing.

I concur, I'm pretty sure a Cardinal helped Snow White clean up the 7 dwarfs house. she swept a lot in that scene.

CarolinaRedleg
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Garcia, Wainwright and Carpenter have proved to be darn near unhittable if you're in a Reds uniform this season. I don't see how our bats catch up to what they're dealing for three days straight. That slumbering offense is also due to wake up in a big, big way.

PuffyPig
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Garcia, Wainwright and Carpenter have proved to be darn near unhittable if you're in a Reds uniform this season. I don't see how our bats catch up to what they're dealing for three days straight. That slumbering offense is also due to wake up in a big, big way.

Yes to Waino and Carp, but we've certainly had our chances against Garcia.

But I don't think they have any special spell over us, and they have certainly scuffled recently agaisnt much lesser offences.

If our pitching holds up, we'll have our chances against all 3.

The Operator
09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Their "slumbering offense" really isn't that fearsome outside of Pujols and Holliday, though. And they've been quiet lately too. Have you seen some of TLR's lineups lately? He's been giving Bob Boone a run for his money.

I really want The Reds to expose Garcia for what he is tonight. A solid starter masquerading as Cy Young. All I ever hear about from the media outlets is how this guy is their next ace, but he really reminds me a lot of Volquez from '08. He puts on all kinds of baserunners but somehow channels his inner Houdini and spits the hook most innings. That's bound to catch up with him, even if it takes until next year. I at least want The Reds to smudge up his nifty little 2.33 ERA, and ultimately, of course, win the game.

But even if The Reds could only choose to win one, I hope it's against Carpenter. They could lose 10-0 the other two and I'd still be okay if they could hang about 25 ER on Mr. Big Mouth. I still can't get over him going all Helen Lovejoy - "won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?"

Wainwright, I got no beef with that guy. Other than the fact that he's a great pitcher and he's not wearing a Reds uniform.

Chip R
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Their "slumbering offense" really isn't that fearsome outside of Pujols and Holliday, though. And they've been quiet lately too. Have you seen some of TLR's lineups lately? He's been giving Bob Boone a run for his money.

True but Yadi Molina hits the Reds like he owns them and both Ryan and Schumaker hurt them last time. Rasmus does well too and FeLo has always hit the Reds well. Even the pitchers hit well against the Reds.

CarolinaRedleg
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM

I was poor-mouthing in hopes of working up some reverse mojo. Now that I've revealed that, someone else needs to step up in my place to cancel my reverse-reverse mojo out.

GO REDS!!!!

traderumor
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
An interesting thing is trying to figure out any trends that might prove predictive. Consider,

St. Louis in an offensive slump, due to bust out like the Giants when they got to sleep in their own bed?

St. Louis dominating the Reds last series, due for a come uppance this series?

Reds pitching has been unlucky recently, lots of bloops, dinks and dunks falling in in last three series, so continue unlucky or at-'em balls start falling our way (like finale against Brewers)?

Reds have not hit Garcia, Wainwright and Crissy all year, but others have been recently, so do we get to them this time to overcome the previous trend?

Of course, Fay won't pick up on any of these things, but here it is for free if he wanted to blog on it.

VR
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
As I read through some of these posts again from the past weeks, I want to give a shout out to MattyMo.

While his name/handle obviously shows very poor judgement. he has proven himself a class act for all the years he has posted at RZ as a 'visiting fan'.

Coming in here as his team was sinking and the Reds were rising should tell you all you need to know about him....and also what makes RZ so great.

RichRed
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
An interesting thing is trying to figure out any trends that might prove predictive. Consider,

St. Louis in an offensive slump, due to bust out like the Giants when they got to sleep in their own bed?

St. Louis dominating the Reds last series, due for a come uppance this series?

Reds pitching has been unlucky recently, lots of bloops, dinks and dunks falling in in last three series, so continue unlucky or at-'em balls start falling our way (like finale against Brewers)?

Reds have not hit Garcia, Wainwright and Crissy all year, but others have been recently, so do we get to them this time to overcome the previous trend?

Of course, Fay won't pick up on any of these things, but here it is for free if he wanted to blog on it.

I'm almost positive Fay has been getting ideas from here. I'll look for your points in his next column. :)

The Operator
09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
As I read through some of these posts again from the past weeks, I want to give a shout out to MattyMo.

While his name/handle obviously shows very poor judgement. he has proven himself a class act for all the years he has posted at RZ as a 'visiting fan'.

Coming in here as his team was sinking and the Reds were rising should tell you all you need to know about him....and also what makes RZ so great.

Agreed. We haven't always been the most welcoming of hosts either, especially during and directly after The Cards series.

Also agree on the screen name. I always hated Matt Morris, even though it seemed like The Reds had his number quite a bit at times. At least he isn't YadiFan4Life or CarpFan4Life :D

Redsfan320
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Re: Matt Morris. I haven't been a Reds fan since after he left the Cards. The only thing I do know of him is from the highlight reel. He's the on who, in St.L, Jr. hit #500 off of.

"Against Matt Morris in his career, and officially, counting today, [Griffey] is 2-11. The pitch...and a high drive, hit back into deep right field, JR. has just knocked the door down to the 500 club"- The HoFer

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=5123985

I've memorized the call. Marty's best that I've ever heard.

Bob Borkowski
09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Good grief! Cards trail Brewers 7-1 bottom of 5th.:)

Brutus
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Scoreboard watching sure is more fun when it's combined with better results on the homefront.

HokieRed
09-08-2010, 10:39 PM

RZers better start worrying about some of these "sub-500" teams some people seem to think are just going to roll over when we play them.

The Operator
09-09-2010, 01:10 AM
RZers better start worrying about some of these "sub-500" teams some people seem to think are just going to roll over when we play them.Yea, they're looking a little different than the last time we saw most of them.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Thanks VR! I wish I could change my handle. I like that yadi one that someone suggested. Better yet Waino4Evo lol

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Yea, they're looking a little different than the last time we saw most of them.

I think these below .500 teams like to play the role of spoiler.

The Operator
09-09-2010, 02:16 AM
I think these below .500 teams like to play the role of spoiler.Certainly.

Although I think they like spoiling The Cards a little more than The Reds. I remember a poll being ran last time The Reds were in Chicago, and to a man, The Cubs said they'd rather keep The Cards out of the postseason. Hopefully the rest of The Central feels that way too. :p:

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Certainly.

Although I think they like spoiling The Cards a little more than The Reds. I remember a poll being ran last time The Reds were in Chicago, and to a man, The Cubs said they'd rather keep The Cards out of the postseason. Hopefully the rest of The Central feels that way too. :p:

The Cubs don't like the Cardinals??? I wonder if the Red Sox like the Yankees?

Slyder
09-09-2010, 02:23 AM
I think these below .500 teams like to play the role of spoiler.

No No No No they are playing this way because all of baseball wants to show Brandon Phillips wasn't alone with his thoughts.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM
No No No No they are playing this way because all of baseball wants to show Brandon Phillips wasn't alone with his thoughts.

Then the Reds shouldn't have any problem against the Brewers, Pirates, and Astros...right?

The Operator
09-09-2010, 03:43 AM
The Cubs don't like the Cardinals??? I wonder if the Red Sox like the Yankees? Indeed. It's also probably because most teams are sick of seeing The Cards win the division so even though The Reds are in first place, teams (other than The Cardinals, at least) don't hate them... yet. That might take a while.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Indeed. It's also probably because most teams are sick of seeing The Cards win the division so even though The Reds are in first place, teams (other than The Cardinals, at least) don't hate them... yet. That might take a while.

I think this is mostly a Redszone myth, but whatever makes you feel better.

Teams like to play the role of spoiler no matter who is in first place. I seem to remember the Reds doing the same thing in the past.

oneupper
09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Teams like to play the role of spoiler no matter who is in first place. I seem to remember the Reds doing the same thing in the past.

This. They're playing for contracts, roster spots, starting spots, stats, their manager's job, etc. Very, very loose. Makes 'em tough.

It's not personal, just business.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 09:44 AM
This. They're playing for contracts, roster spots, starting spots, stats, their manager's job, etc. Very, very loose. Makes 'em tough.

It's not personal, just business.

Exactly!

lollipopcurve
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I think this is mostly a Redszone myth, but whatever makes you feel better.

The Cards have dominated the division for years. It's only human nature that teams in the division are going to be eager to knock them off their pedestal, more so than they would be to beat a fellow punching bag from years past.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 10:09 AM
The Cards have dominated the division for years. It's only human nature that teams in the division are going to be eager to knock them off their pedestal, more so than they would be to beat a fellow punching bag from years past.

I think they are more interested in their own jobs for next year than they are who wins the division at this point. A lot of these players are young players that want to earn a job on the roster next year.

lollipopcurve
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I think they are more interested in their own jobs for next year than they are who wins the division at this point. A lot of these players are young players that want to earn a job on the roster next year.

Sure. It varies from person to person. But you have to acknowledge that there are players still within the division who have been drubbed by the Cards for years, and beating St. Louis down the stretch, thereby further dimming the Cards' playoff hopes, will likely provide those players with a degree of satisfaction they would not have were they beating just any team.

MattyHo4Life
09-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Sure. It varies from person to person. But you have to acknowledge that there are players still within the division who have been drubbed by the Cards for years, and beating St. Louis down the stretch, thereby further dimming the Cards' playoff hopes, will likely provide those players with a degree of satisfaction they would not have were they beating just any team.

Well... that would go for any team in any division. NL East teams probably play harder against Atlanta and Philly because they have been so good for so long.

Tornon
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
The Cardinals are immediately making me feel better about the Reds

Tornon
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Now D. Lee homers and the Braves are up 3-0 on the Cards bottom of 1

Reds Fanatic
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Wainwright is getting hit hard again.

Tornon
09-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Wainwright is getting hit hard again.

After the Cardinals started by the inning by throwing the ball around the diamond

HokieRed
09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
The Cardinals are immediately making me feel better about the Reds

Someday we're going to have to beat somebody ourselves.

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Brendan Ryan just tied the game up at 3-3 in the second inning.

Tornon

We can do that tomorrow :)

Cards tie it up in the 2nd, 3-3

Tornon
Oop, 5-3 Cards now

HokieRed
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
5-3. Free ride's about over.

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow. Brendan Ryan 2-run single ties it and Skip Schumaker hits a 2-run HR to make it 5-3 Cardinals. What a day.

membengal
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Hokie, they have, all year.

BCubb2003
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
In the last three weeks, the Rockies have swept the Reds and Braves and the Padres twice.

Tornon
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
In the last three weeks, the Rockies have swept the Reds and Braves and the Padres twice.

They do that every September/August, don't they?

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Cardinals have the bases loaded with no outs in the third inning. This has been a day to forget. The Reds blew a 5-0 lead in Colorado and now the Cardinals have erased a 3-0 deficit in Atlanta and are on the verge of blowing the game open.

Obviously I want the Cardinals to lose but I'm not getting all worked up if they win. The Reds can't worry about the Cardinals, it's up to the Reds to take care of their own business. We can't just rely on the Cardinals to lose. If the Reds win, the Cardinals can't catch them, it's that simple. This upcoming homestand is where the Reds have the opportunity to add some more breathing room.

Edit - Jurrjens escaped the jam.

Tornon
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Cards manage not to score after loading the bases with none out.. still 5-3 StL

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
7-3 Cardinals in the 4th inning.

Tornon
09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
7-3 Cards in the 4th

Brutus
09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
5 games

Tornon
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
5 games

If the Cards win it will be

alloverjr
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
7-3 Cards in the 4th

Good. I think the Reds need the Cards to go on a run to put a sense of urgency up their butt. But I think if there's a sense that the lead is slipping, everyone from the top down will start to play a little smarter (they've played some pretty sloppy ball over the last week), and stop playing with 3 OF's on an MLB roster that can expand to 40. Or they'll fold like a cheap suit. Either or.

westofyou
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
5 games

The ride is the best part, everything else just falls in after the ride is done.

Wake me up last April, offer me the 5 game lead, a sweep AGAINST the Reds and a plane ride home to play the Pirates.... and I would have bought in right then.

Five game leads in September... this is where baseball fans eat their lunch.

Brutus
09-09-2010, 11:23 PM
The ride is the best part, everything else just falls in after the ride is done.

Wake me up last April, offer me the 5 game lead, a sweep AGAINST the Reds and a plane ride home to play the Pirates.... and I would have bought in right then.

Five game leads in September... this is where baseball fans eat their lunch.

Oh I agree... but right now it feels like my mother is packing a SPAM sandwich and it's making me gag.

:D

westofyou
09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh I agree... but right now it feels like my mother is packing a SPAM sandwich and it's making me gag.

:D

With Miracle Whip

Brutus
09-10-2010, 12:34 AM
With Miracle Whip

Precisely.

Ron Madden
09-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Maybe next year the Reds can play a four game series late in the season with the Rockies in GABP for a change.

GAC
09-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Maybe next year the Reds can play a four game series late in the season with the Rockies in GABP for a change.

Does it matter where the 4 losses are placed at in the season? :D

Redsfan320
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
MODS: Please CLOSE either THIS THREAD or the SEPTEMBER SCOREBOARD WATCHING THREAD. Having both open at the same time on the same topic is kinda pointless. THANKS