PDA

View Full Version : NL Central & NL Wildcard Scoreboard Watching, Part III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cyclone792
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
With the other thread nearing 1,000 posts, here's a new thread to continue following the plethora of teams in the playoff hunt in the National League.

And to kick this thread off, here is the upcoming schedule over the next three weeks of each NL squad fighting for the playoffs (games scheduled from Monday, August 9th through Sunday, August 29th):

Reds
3 vs. Cardinals
3 vs. Marlins
3 @ Diamondbacks
3 @ Dodgers
3 @ Giants
3 vs. Cubs

Cardinals
3 @ Reds
3 vs. Cubs
2 vs. Brewers
3 vs. Giants
3 @ Pirates
4 @ Nationals

Giants
4 vs. Cubs
3 vs. Padres
3 @ Phillies
3 @ Cardinals
3 vs. Reds
3 vs. Diamondbacks

Phillies
3 vs. Dodgers
3 @ Mets
3 vs. Giants
3 vs. Nationals
4 vs. Astros
3 @ Padres

Padres
3 vs. Pirates
3 @ Giants
4 @ Cubs
3 @ Brewers
3 vs. Diamondbacks
3 vs. Phillies

Braves
3 @ Astros
4 vs. Dodgers
3 vs. Nationals
3 @ Cubs
3 @ Rockies
3 vs. Marlins

Rockies
3 @ Mets
3 vs. Brewers
3 @ Dodgers
3 @ Diamondbacks
3 vs. Braves
3 vs. Dodgers

membengal
08-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Reds are going to get to Cincy WAY ahead of St. Louis at this point. Cards/Fish still trying to resume in the top of the first.

Cyclone792
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Update on today's games:

The Cards and Marlins are still stuck in a rain delay in the top of the 1st inning. The Phillies just beat the Mets 6-5 to go to 62-49 on the season. The Braves lead the Giants 5-3 in the top of the 8th in Atlanta.

The Rockies lead the Pirates 8-4 in the top of the 8th. It's looking like that four game series will end in a split, which considering how bad the Pirates are that's not a bad series outcome for Reds fans.

The Padres play in Arizona, and that game is getting underway now.

membengal
08-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Radar is ugly in south Florida. Hard to see how they will get that one re-started.

Will force Cards to make an unscheduled return trip to Miami at some point if so...

OnBaseMachine
08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Braves beat the Giants 6-3.

Scrap Irony
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM
If this is St. Lous' last trip to Miami, they'll wait a long, long time before they call it.

That will certainly help the Reds.

I hope they go 23 innings and have to deal with four separate rain delays, necessitating the use of all 12 pitchers including Friday's starter. And the Cardinals lose. On a walk-off. After leading. At 3 AM.

OesterPoster
08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Only dates which are open on the Cards and Marlins' schedules would be September 2nd and September 20th.

The Marlins have home games before and after both of those open dates. The Cardinals have a 6 game road trip starting on the 21st, so they easily could fly to Miami for one game before going to Pittsburgh the next day.

The other open date (September 2nd) is slightly intriguing...because the Cards will be coming home from a 10 game road trip to face the Reds at Busch Stadium. It'd be nice if MLB would "reward" the Cards with a trip to Miami for 1 game before facing the Reds. :)

MattyHo4Life
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
necessitating the use of all 12 pitchers including Friday's starter.

Well, Suppan is the starter today, and this was supposed to be his last start. That may have changed within the last day or two, I'm not sure. When Lohse is ready, he will take the #5 spot, and that is supposed to be Friday. His last start for Memphis wasn't very good, so it is possible that Suppan (or Hawksworth) would get one more start, but that wasn't the original plan.

BCubb2003
08-08-2010, 05:24 PM
According to MLB it's postponed.

OnBaseMachine
08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Yep, the Cardinals-Marlins game has been postponed. Reds gained 1 1/2 games in the last two days and carry a two game lead into the Cardinals series.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-08-2010, 05:31 PM
According to MLB it's postponed.

That's not right. MLB would have made the Reds wait until 9 p.m. to start this one. And the Cards dodge a Suppan start and a good chance at a loss.

:thumbdown

reds44
08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I smell blood in the water. I want a sweep.

OnBaseMachine
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I would love to sweep the Cardinals but as much as I love this team, I don't see a sweep happening. Carpenter kills the Reds. Two of three would still be awesome. One thing the Reds can't do is get swept. At worst, they have to win one game.

A sweep puts the Reds five games up. Two of three puts the Reds up three games. Losing two of three keeps us up one game up but I don't even want to think about that. I want another series win.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
They just have to play like they belong. For too long they play scared against this Cardinals team and Albert Poopholes. The Reds are better than STL. It's time to prove it

mbgrayson
08-08-2010, 08:19 PM
That's not right. MLB would have made the Reds wait until 9 p.m. to start this one. And the Cards dodge a Suppan start and a good chance at a loss.

From the MLB.com Cardinals site:
"The rainout will not affect the Cardinals' pitching rotation, pitching coach Dave Duncan said. Jeff Suppan, Sunday's scheduled starter, will be skipped."

mth123
08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
From the MLB.com Cardinals site:
"The rainout will not affect the Cardinals' pitching rotation, pitching coach Dave Duncan said. Jeff Suppan, Sunday's scheduled starter, will be skipped."

Easiest decision of Duncan's career.;)

marcshoe
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Worse than that, MLB and Fox have a weather machine, and they created this rain to help keep the Reds out of the playoffs. The trilateral commission was involved as well; I'm sure of it. :cool:

VR
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Worse than that, MLB and Fox have a weather machine, and they created this rain to help keep the Reds out of the playoffs. The trilateral commission was involved as well; I'm sure of it. :cool:

Could actually help the Reds, as the Marlins had Sean West going.....so a win vs. Suppan wasn't guaranteed.

BCubb2003
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM

I think this was an episode of the Underdog cartoon show.

marcshoe
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Bud Selig is Simon Bar-Sinister. Think about it.

edabbs44
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
When was the last time Cincy had a series looming like this one starting tomorrow? Gonna be a fun week.

Cedric
08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
When was the last time the Reds were one game back of having the best record in the NL?

It must be 1999.

Edskin
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
When was the last time the Reds were one game back of having the best record in the NL?

It must be 1999.

Too lazy to look it up, but my guess would actually be 1990 or maybe 1995...but 1990 would be my guess. In 1999, I don't think we were ever 1 game back of the Braves this late into the season.

cumberlandreds
08-09-2010, 08:10 AM
This rainout could help the Reds in the long run. The Cards may not have an off day for a month if they rescheldule this game for September 20th.

The Cardinals aren’t scheduled to return to Florida, and no makeup date was announced. The most likely choice is Sept. 20, but that would mean the Cardinals would play the final 31 days of the regular season without a day off.

Cyclone792
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
This rainout could help the Reds in the long run. The Cards may not have an off day for a month if they rescheldule this game for September 20th.

The Cardinals aren’t scheduled to return to Florida, and no makeup date was announced. The most likely choice is Sept. 20, but that would mean the Cardinals would play the final 31 days of the regular season without a day off.

The hope is that they are actually forced to play that game on the 20th rather than waiting until the end of the season to determine if it's necessary. My sense, and it's just a gut sense, is that it'd be easier for the Marlins to get up for a spoiler game on September 20th rather than early October after the regular season concludes. Plus, forcing the Cardinals to play 31 games in 31 days is what they deserve.

Oh, and Florida needs to make sure to juggle their rotation so that Josh Johnson would pitch on the 20th too.

Chip R
08-09-2010, 09:26 AM

There is a rule that teams can't play more than 20 dates without a day off if praticible. The only common open date for both teams is Sept 20. As you said, that's 31 days without a day off. I suppose they could get around that with the "if practicible" clause but I would guess they would wait till after the last day of the season is over to see if it needs to be played.

cumberlandreds
08-09-2010, 09:45 AM
The hope is that they are actually forced to play that game on the 20th rather than waiting until the end of the season to determine if it's necessary. My sense, and it's just a gut sense, is that it'd be easier for the Marlins to get up for a spoiler game on September 20th rather than early October after the regular season concludes. Plus, forcing the Cardinals to play 31 games in 31 days is what they deserve.

Oh, and Florida needs to make sure to juggle their rotation so that Josh Johnson would pitch on the 20th too.

In recent year MLB has been real sticklers about getting games in within the timeframe of the regular season dates. If they stick to how they have been doing things in recent years they will have to play on that date. That's an extra road trip no matter what for the Cardinals too and a one day trip at that. You never know what could be the tipper in a pennant race. That rain out could be a factor before it's all said and done. Especially if the Marlins decide to pitch Johnson in the make up game.

medford
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Well there is always the hope that by the end of the early September series in St Louis, the Reds have buried the cards so deep in the standings, that come Sep 20th, we don't really care if the cards play that game or not.

it was asked on the radio this morning if it was a bigger series for the Cards or for the Reds. I say for the Cards. Not only do they trail in the standings, but they specifically set up their rotation for this series. Sure the Rain out would have made that a mute point, but the players didn't know that a week ago, they have to be looking at this series as a chance to establish pecking order in the division. No doubt the Reds are looking at it the same way, but how devestating would it be to the Cards to come in and lose the series after specifically setting things up to get their 3 top pitchers in line.

Caveat Emperor
08-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd disagree -- it's absolutely a bigger series for the Reds. The Cardinals have been the class of the division for the better part of a decade. This is an opportunity for the Reds to show that 2010 is different and that they can handle their business when the games absolutely matter.

It'll be a playoff atmosphere at GABP for all 3 games. The Reds can make a statement, or they can roll over and play dead for the divisional bully.

This is meaningful baseball for the Cincinnati Reds in August. Uncharted territory for the franchise in this decade. From here on out, the pressure is on the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
It pains me to say this, but Reds fans need to root for the Cubs over the next two weeks. Take a look at the Cubs upcoming schedule: 4 at San Francisco, 3 at St. Louis, 4 vs San Diego, and 3 vs Atlanta. The Reds are contending with all four of those teams for a playoff spot.

BTW, the Cubs are 3-3 against the Cardinals this season and still have nine games remaining against the Cardinals.

3 at St. Louis - August 13-15
3 at St. Louis - September 13-15
3 vs St. Louis - September 24-26

fearofpopvol1
08-10-2010, 02:23 AM
Houston beat the Braves convincingly tonight. Unfortunately, the Giants beat the Cubs in extras.

Screwball
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Houston beat the Braves convincingly tonight. Unfortunately, the Giants beat the Cubs in extras.

Houston's offense has been on a tear since the AS Break, scoring the most runs in the NL in that time. With a combined 26 games still left against 5 contenders (Atl, NYM, Philly, St. Louis, LAD, Reds), they could really play the role of spoiler to a tee.

BTW, 3 of those games are against the Cards, 6 are against the Reds.

oregonred
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Less we forget the wild card race...

Those pesky Astros just rallied for a 2-1 lead in the 8th over Atlanta.

Dodgers are blasting the Phils, Mets beat the Rocks.

All good news, except the Giants with Lincecum get the hapless Cubs later tonight.

oregonred
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
And just like that the Braves rally for two in the ninth to take a 3-2 lead

Somehow the Cubs plated four against Lincecum in the first.

Odd game, this baseball...

Captain Hook
08-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Cubs now lead 6-4 heading into the 8th.Cubs win and the Reds are tied with SF for the WC lead if you consider the Cards the 1st place team in the central with their .002 winning % advantage.

Cedric
08-11-2010, 12:36 AM
The Cards are most certainly in 1st place. Loss column is the most important place to look.

Captain Hook
08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
8-4 Cubs with Giants coming up in the 8th.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2010, 02:21 AM
In other important games...

Marlins beat the Nats
Cubs beat the Giants
Dodgers beat Philly
Mets beat the Rockies
Atlanta beat Houston
San Diego beat Pittsburgh

Mixed results overall on the day...but San Fran and Philly losing were big.

oregonred
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Shaping up to be a complete debacle for the Reds today.

Every other WC competitive team has won (STL, ATL, PHI) or is winning (SF). SD and Pitt no score, but we know how that will turn out.

3-game sweeps are disasterous, especially when the impressive 11-2-1 includes an 0-7 on the "2" part. Ouch!

OesterPoster
08-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but maybe I missed it. Was looking for info on the makeup date for the rained out Cards-Marlins game and saw this...

Marlins president David Samson believed Sunday's game would be made up. But since the Marlins and Cardinals are not scheduled to play each other again this season, no makeup date was established, although both teams do have off on Sept. 2 and 20.

The first date won't work because the University of Miami football team has a game at Sun Life Stadium that night, while the latter date will require St. Louis' players to waive a league rule that says a team can play no more than 20 games without a day off.

If they waive the rule, they would have to play 31 straight days in September and October.

Of course...Selig could just have them play the game in Milwaukee. :)

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I have heard that the Cardinals want the game to be made up the Monday after the season is over, but the Dolphins host Monday Night Football that night. So the Cards want the game to be played at St. Louis.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I have heard that the Cardinals want the game to be made up the Monday after the season is over, but the Dolphins host Monday Night Football that night. So the Cards want the game to be played at St. Louis.

I don't think even Selig is that foolish to allow that. Someone said Milwaukee. It may end up there yet.

Chip R
08-13-2010, 01:52 PM

For all the people it'll draw, they ought to play it at the U. Probably still won't sell out. But I'll bet you that is exactly what will happen. Hopefully, the Reds will make it unnecessary to make it up.

Cyclone792
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM

I say make the game up in Puerto Rico then. :evil:

MattyHo4Life
08-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Nobody shows up at Marlins games anyways. If the game is in St. Louis... at least it will be sold out. lol

HotCorner
08-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Nah have them make it up here in Cincinnati. :D

MattyHo4Life
08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Nah have them make it up here in Cincinnati. :D

Haha...then Molina would be booed at every at bat again. :D

KronoRed
08-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Nobody shows up at Marlins games anyways. If the game is in St. Louis... at least it will be sold out. lol

Indeed.

With the Marlins out of it, they should just forfeit.

jesusfan
08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Cubs up 2-0 against the Cards in the 1st..!

Cyclone792
08-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Mets beat the Phillies 1-0 tonight.

The Dirtiest Team in Baseball leads the Cubs 3-2 in the 4th.

fearofpopvol1
08-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Atlanta beat the Dodgers

Cards beat the Cubs

Colorado beat Milwaukee

San Diego beat San Francisco

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Cards score 1 in the bottom of the first, ARam lights up Carpenter in the 2nd and it's 1-1

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Carp seems to be having issues today.. Koyie Hill doubles in a run, Cubs are up 2-1

Matt700wlw
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Carp seems to be having issues today.. Koyie Hill doubles in a run, Cubs are up 2-1

He'll start whining about something soon

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
DLee launches one.. 3-1 Cubs

Matt700wlw
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
I bet the Cubs are using corked bats or something....Carp CAN'T be struggling

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I bet the Cubs are using corked bats or something....Carp CAN'T be struggling

Tim McCarver thinks Johnny Cueto is to blame

membengal
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM

Stuck with O's/Rays over here. Tell me you are joking about McCarver...

Matt700wlw
08-14-2010, 04:55 PM

McCarver can shove it

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:56 PM
McCarver is saying how deliberate Carpenter looks out there.. that he's un-Chris Carpenter like & he thinks his back is still bugging him from Tuesday

Matt700wlw
Stuck with O's/Rays over here. Tell me you are joking about McCarver...

He's not

CTA513

The Cardinals will protest this game and Cueto will get another 7 game suspension.

;)

Matt700wlw
08-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Was Carp crying?

membengal
08-14-2010, 04:58 PM
If there is ANYthing wrong with Crapenter's back, it's his own fault for his role in escalating the shenanigans.

Perhaps it is just karma stepping by for a visit...

Tornon
08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Now McCarver is backtracking and saying the heat could be the cause of Carp's struggles

nate
08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't often wish for Deion Sanders, but when I do, Tim McCarver is "broadcasting."

:cool:

kaldaniels
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM

And if Cueto is to blame...can I say, "I'm cool with that".

The above is a theorhetical statement of course. :cool:

VR
08-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Tony just 'outLaRussa'd' himself....pinch hitting the sub .200 hitting Craig for Jon Jay (.962 vs. lefties)

Tornon
08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Marshall K's Pujols.. Cubs lead 3-2 after 7

Tornon
08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Tony just 'outLaRussa'd' himself....pinch hitting the sub .200 hitting Craig for Jon Jay (.962 vs. lefties)

Tony's suspended, remember?

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm sure Carp will tell us the reason after the game. :)

nemesis
08-14-2010, 06:32 PM
If there is ANYthing wrong with Crapenter's back, it's his own fault for his role in escalating the shenanigans.

Perhaps it is just karma stepping by for a visit...

No, no, no it's that giant Cross he keeps dragging around to nail himself to before he speaks...

11larkin11
08-14-2010, 06:48 PM
And Aramis Ramirez is trying to give the Cards the game...

Big Klu
08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! HOLY COW!

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/marq/graphics/auto/hcaray.jpg

RBA
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Cubs win 3-2. Another night of crying by Carpenter and the Cardinals.

VR
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
And Carpenter gets the loss. Pujols on deck when the last out is made.

This, I love.

Redsfan320
08-14-2010, 06:55 PM
And Carpenter gets the loss. Pujols on deck when the last out is made.

This, I love.

I KNOW!!! Go Cubs go!! :dancingco

guttle11
08-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Carpenter can't believe the Cardinals only got 9 innings to beat the Cubs. That's unprofessional.

cincy09
08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Someone tell those little (guys) we're back in first!

Tornon
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
ARam & DLee seem to be heating up.. I hope facing lefty Garcia tomorrow will only help them

The Operator
08-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Jaime Garcia is on the express lane toward Regression-ville.

He could throw a good game tomorrow or he could just as easily average 2-3 base-runners an inning and get beaten around. Let's hope for the latter.

RedLegSuperStar
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I KNOW!!! Go Cubs go!! :dancingco

Reds fans don't root on the Cubs! Pat them on the back for beating the Cards.. Just don't root for em

The Operator
08-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Reds fans don't root on the Cubs! Pat them on the back for beating the Cards.. Just don't root for em

This season has forced me to do dirty things... unspeakable things.

First I had to want The Cubs to win, when playing The Cardinals.
Then I had to cheer on none other than Jim Edmonds.

Since bad things always happen in three's I fully expect to be held at gunpoint before the season's end and be forced to call Chris Carpenter "a heck of a good guy."

Hoosier Red
08-14-2010, 11:32 PM
This season has forced me to do dirty things... unspeakable things.

First I had to want The Cubs to win, when playing The Cardinals.
Then I had to cheer on none other than Jim Edmonds.

Since bad things always happen in three's I fully expect to be held at gunpoint before the season's end and be forced to call Chris Carpenter "a heck of a good guy."

I've come to accept the fact that Terrell Owens and Jim Edmonds were simply misunderstood geniuses at their respective crafts. They play with a love of the game that is not easily understood by mere mortals.;)

The Operator
08-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I've come to accept the fact that Terrell Owens and Jim Edmonds were simply misunderstood geniuses at their respective crafts. They play with a love of the game that is not easily understood by mere mortals.;)

Holy Moses and here I forgot about The Bengals signing TO. This is one of those years, I'm tellin' ya.

On the bright side, this is a true testament to how well The Reds have played this year. It's mid August and I'm still so focused on baseball that a huge Bengals piece of news escaped my thought process entirely. I'm OK with that.

MattyHo4Life
08-14-2010, 11:44 PM
ARam & DLee seem to be heating up.. I hope facing lefty Garcia tomorrow will only help them

Kyle Lohse pitches tomorrow

dsmith421
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM

There was a period in 2006 where those words gave me actual hives.

LoganBuck
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Is that good for the Cubs or the Cardinals?:D

The Operator
08-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Paging Bad Kyle, paging Bad Kyle...

WebScorpion
08-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Both the Reds and the Cards are 6-4 in their last 10 games. Included in that is the 3 game sweep, so in the other 7 games the Reds are 6-1 and the Cards are 3-4... how odd is that? :dunno:

It reminds me of the Bengals seasons when they only won 3 games and the Steeelers only lost 3 or 4, but the Bengals beat the Steelers twice. I'm just glad this time my team seems to be on the other end of the odd twist. Tied for 1st place again! :rockband:

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Is that good for the Cubs or the Cardinals?:D

Most likely good for the Cubs :(

membengal
08-15-2010, 07:05 AM

I don't get this attitude. I am a Reds fan. I will be rooting for the Cubs. I don't owe any apologies for doing so.

traderumor
08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't get this attitude. I am a Reds fan. I will be rooting for the Cubs. I don't owe any apologies for doing so.Same here. I didn't feel the least bit dirty yesterday.

membengal
08-15-2010, 07:44 AM
In fact, I cannot underscore enough my continuing hatred of the Cardinals.

But fast-forward to 2011 and if the Reds are in a dogfight with the Brewers and the Cards are 12 games back, I will be rooting, unapologetically, for the Cards when they would play the Brewers.

I am pretty basic when it comes to the Reds. I root for the Reds and whoever is playing another team where a loss will help the Reds.

Tornon
08-15-2010, 10:26 AM

I knew that... I don't know why I thought Garcia was starting

RBA
08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
PROGRAMMING NOTES:

1:30pm ET TBS DODGERS @ BRAVES
2PM ET WGN CUBS @ CARDINDALS
8PM ET ESPN PHILLIES @ METS

Check your local listings for channel numbers.

wheels
08-15-2010, 11:56 AM
It looks like it's gonna all Baseball, all day.

I love it.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Cubs lead LaRussa's Idiots 2-1 in the top of the 4th. Lee has gone deep twice for the Cubs, and they've got a runner on first with nobody out in the 4th.

The Braves are smashing the Dodgers 8-0 in the 5th.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Cubs have now loaded the bases with nobody out in the 4th.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Ground rule double for Hill. It's now 4-1 Cubs, and they've still got runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.

Dempster's up and flailing at everything.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Dempster singles to right! A run scores! Cubs lead 5-1 with runners on 1st and 3rd, nobody out.

Fukudome up, and Kyle Lohse's day is done.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Fukudome welcomes Mike MacDougal to the game by doubling to left field. Another run scores! Dempster advances to 3rd, and it's now 6-1 Cubs with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Still nobody out.

Castro up, and Lee is on deck.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Wild pitch! Dempster scores with a hard slide into MacDougal to make it 7-1. Fukudome advances to 3rd. Meanwhile, Chris Carpenter is probably getting all pissy after watching Dempster's slide.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Castro grounds out, and Fukudome stays put. Lee now up.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Wild pitch! Dempster scores with a hard slide into MacDougal to make it 7-1. Fukudome advances to 3rd. Meanwhile, Chris Carpenter is probably getting all pissy after watching Dempster's slide.

"It's just not good for baseball. You don't slide like that. It makes us look bad."

RBA
08-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Something has got to be wrong with the mound. Get the laser measurement tool out.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Lee strikes out for the second out. Ramirez now up. It'd be nice to get that final baserunner in from 3rd base.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Ramirez walks. Byrd up now with runners on 1st and 3rd, two outs.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Byrd singles to right, and it's now 8-1 Cubs! Runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs and Nady up.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Nady grounds out to MacDougal on the mound and the inning is finally over. Chris Carpenter is probably crying in the dugout about Nady hitting the ball at MacDougal.

I'm not doing PBP for this full game, but that was just a fun inning that I couldn't pass up.

Cubs lead 8-1 heading to the bottom of the 4th.

CTA513
08-15-2010, 03:54 PM

I'm surprised the Cardinals are wasting a bullpen spot on a guy like MacDougal.

fearofpopvol1
08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Reds sweep the Marlins! That's huge after the STL series.

Now it's time for the dreaded west coast trip. The good news is that it starts in Arizona.

Strikes Out Looking
08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised the Cardinals are wasting a bullpen spot on a guy like MacDougal.

They are hoping to fix him up with their special medicines;)

kaldaniels
08-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't know where to put this but it looks like the Reds will miss Lincecum.

Edd Roush
08-15-2010, 04:30 PM

I wonder if the Giants will shake-up their rotation to ensure that Lincecum pitches against the Reds since we are in the Wild Card race with them.

Slyder
08-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Ahhh man that means Stubbs won't have a chance to take him deep to shut up the ney sayers :(. And yes Im mostly kidding (thank God we miss one ace at least).

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I wonder if the Giants will shake-up their rotation to ensure that Lincecum pitches against the Reds since we are in the Wild Card race with them.

The Giants are in St. Louis immediately before we head to San Francisco. The Giants do have an off day tomorrow so they could keep Lincecum on four days' rest. If that's the case, Lincecum will pitch on Friday night at St. Louis and would then pitch Wednesday afternoon against the Reds. If the Giants elect to give Lincecum an extra day of rest with tomorrow's off day, then he'll go Saturday at St. Louis and the Reds would miss him.

Most likely, I'm thinking he's pitching Friday night at St. Louis and then Wednesday afternoon against the Reds. Fortunately, he's guaranteed to pitch against St. Louis barring injury.

_Sir_Charles_
08-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, I just looked at the schedules for both us & the Cards. I was a bit surprised to see that the Cards still have 9, count 'em, NINE games left with the Pirates. *sigh*

kaldaniels
08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
The Giants are in St. Louis immediately before we head to San Francisco. The Giants do have an off day tomorrow so they could keep Lincecum on four days' rest. If that's the case, Lincecum will pitch on Friday night at St. Louis and would then pitch Wednesday afternoon against the Reds. If the Giants elect to give Lincecum an extra day of rest with tomorrow's off day, then he'll go Saturday at St. Louis and the Reds would miss him.

Most likely, I'm thinking he's pitching Friday night at St. Louis and then Wednesday afternoon against the Reds. Fortunately, he's guaranteed to pitch against St. Louis barring injury.

I hate to see that...I was just looking at probable starters on ESPN.com.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 04:44 PM

I could see why the Giants would shuffle their rotation to move Lincecum up in order to face Cincinnati, but I think they would err on the side of not messing with tweaking their rotation this early so they can get him any precious few extra days of rest they can.

reds44
08-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Remember when we woke up a sleeping giant?

Oh wait.

Cedric
08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Are you guys missing the major problems with Lincecum? There are big worries in San Fran that he is injured. Gave up 5 more ER already today in 3 innings and he is topping out at 89.

His ERA is over 3.60 and recently it's WAY worse than that. They aren't going to juggle their rotation for him at this point.

RBA
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I was sure the the Cardinals were going to move the Reds flag at Busch to the top as soon as the Reds won today ;)

mth123
08-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Cards aren't dead yet. 9-3 in the 9th and they have 'em loaded with nobody out. Cubs pen is awful.

_Sir_Charles_
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Are you guys missing the major problems with Lincecum? There are big worries in San Fran that he is injured. Gave up 5 more ER already today in 3 innings and he is topping out at 89.

His ERA is over 3.60 and recently it's WAY worse than that. They aren't going to juggle their rotation for him at this point.

I was thinking that too. He's been very un-Cy-like lately. But then again, maybe a dose of Reds hitters are what will turn him around. I hope not. Gomes,Phillips, Bruce & Stubbs have simply GOT to turn it around soon.

_Sir_Charles_
08-15-2010, 05:35 PM
9-4 Cubs now after walking in a run. Pujols' spot is up with the bases loaded and 1 out. I bet LaGenius is wishing he hadn't pulled Albert in the double switch now. :O)

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm getting awfully tired with bullpens that can't hold leads that end up burning the Reds. Between our two meltdown losses, the Dodgers blowing that game against Philly and now this, it's frustrating.

CTA513
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Remember when we woke up a sleeping giant?

Oh wait.

Now the big talker just needs to wake up.

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Cards lose 9-7! Cubs tried to blow it but Marmol came through. First place is back in Reds Nation!

Cyclone792
08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Been a great day for the Reds so far. The Padres lit up Lincecum and beat the Giants 8-2. The Reds are now a half game ahead of the Giants.

Phillies and Mets are getting underway in New York, albeit in the rain. There may be a delay at some point. A Mets win tonight over the Phillies would cap off an excellent day for the Reds as the Reds currently lead Philadelphia by one game.

HeatherC1212
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I really want to have a t-shirt made to wear for the rest of this season that says, "I root for two teams: The Cincinnati Reds and whoever is playing the Cardinals" :p:

I enjoy leaving for a weekend mini-vacation with the Reds in second place and coming home to the Reds back in first place. That's just great stuff right there. Nice job guys! :thumbup:

VR
08-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Pirates won tonight, to gain 1/2 game. Now only 27 back.

Screwball
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Pirates won tonight, to gain 1/2 game. Now only 27 back.

:ughmamoru

They better watch that winning. They may just end up losing next year's #1 overall pick.

Brutus
08-16-2010, 11:31 PM
:ughmamoru

They better watch that winning. They may just end up losing next year's #1 overall pick.

I really want to see them get Anthony Rendon, though if Alvarez stays at third, they theoretically have no room for both. They would have an exciting nucleus.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2010, 01:19 AM
It was an off day for most teams today. The teams that did play didn't help the Reds. The Braves beat the Dodgers and the Padres beat the Cubs.

membengal
08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Brewers/Cards underway. David Bush against Garcia. Brewers have bases loaded with one out in the 2nd in a 0-0 game. Cardinals in trouble because Lopez fired a sure DP ball into RF instead from 3b.

membengal
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Looks like stl will get out of it, they walked Escobar to load the bases and get to the 8th hitter, and he Kd. Bush up and likely road kill.

membengal
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Yup, Garcia got out of it. 0-0 middle of 2.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Gotta hand it to Garcia. That dude is constantly working out of jams.

membengal
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Brewers load the bases with no outs to start the third thanks to yet another Lopez error at 3b. Fielder then grounds into a DP but Milwaukee scores a run.

1-0 Milwaukee with two outs and a runner at 3rd in the top of the third.

membengal
08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
McGehee with a two out two run HR.

3-0 Milwaukee top of the 3rd.

kbrake
08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Lopez is awful. They're going to upgrade at 3B soon.

Cedric
08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Is there really a worse IF in recent history than Felipe Lopez? Jose Offerman is the only person I can think of.

oneupper
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Watching SF at PHI. Don't know who to root for. :dunno:

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Watching SF at PHI. Don't know who to root for. :dunno:

Change who you root for each day so both teams lose!!

membengal
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
3-1 game in bottom of 4th as Pujols goes deep.

Btw, last inning Bredan Ryan committed an error, bringing the total behind Garcia to three from his defense tonite. The "best fans in baseball" are giving bronx cheers everytime Lopez touches a ball and doesn't commit an error at this point.

membengal
08-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Still 3-1 game Brewers lead of Stl after five.

Phillies have opened up an 8-3 lead in the 8th over SF.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Remains 3-1 Brewers in the top of the 7th in stl.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Bush lifted by Macha after six innings of one run ball.

Kameron Loe in for Milwaukee in the bottom of the 7th.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't have confidence in Milwaukee's bullpen. Hopefully they can add another run or two.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't have confidence in Milwaukee's bullpen. Hopefully they can add another run or two.

LOL we know you, buddy. You wouldn't have confidence in the Nasty Boys if they were facing the Cardinals.

:D

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
3-1 Brewers lead going to bottom of 8. Kamerson Loe back to mound for second inning of work in relief.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Predictible problems, Cards first and third with one out and Jay/Pujols/Holliday due up.

Loe out, Axeford now in. Tough spot.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Wild pitch scores a run.

3-2 Brewers, Cards have runner at second and one out.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Jay Ks. Brewers walking Pujols with two outs and first base open.

First and second, Holliday up in a 3-2 game.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Holliday grounds out to SS!

Good work from Axford.

3-2 Milwaukee after 8.

SirFelixCat
08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Big spot there for the Brew Crew and Axford. Good to see them/he step up!

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:52 PM
3-2 game headed to bottom of 9.

membengal
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Rasmus flies out to CF. Lopez Ks.

Stl down to their last out.

Axford nails so far...

membengal
08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Axford closes it down...3-2 Brewers win as Molina makes the last out.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Cards lose!!

Cyclone792
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
As frustrating as the Reds have been tonight, at least I'll go to bed knowing that the Cardinals lost tonight.

Brutus
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
So the Reds will still be 1 game ahead after tonight. I'll take it.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Brewers. Do it again tomorrow night, please.

membengal
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
only have to wait until tomorrow early afternoon, OBM, a 1:35 est start in stl i believe for wednesday. Wainwright to the bump./

oregonred
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
So the Reds will still be 1 game ahead after tonight. I'll take it.

or we could just play out the 2-2 game and see what happens :cool:

Brutus
08-18-2010, 12:28 AM
The Diamondbacks helped the cause tonight. They gave away 3 runs in the 9th with benefit of a single hit to escape the mercy of Francisco Cordero.

Reds up 2 games and have erased the Cards' series.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Mark Reynolds is just a brutal defender. Noodle for an arm. I'm glad he was playing 3rd for The Snakes tonight.

oregonred
08-18-2010, 12:30 AM
great win to kick off the road trip and after the Stubbs miss of 3rd base. Great comeback by Bronson.

17 over .500, 2-up

Life is good

kaldaniels
08-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Cincy and Texas have identical records...oh but Texas is 13.5 games in front.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Haha, it looks like the St. Louis score keeper was at it again tonight. Jaime Garcia gave up 3 runs, none of them earned. I suppose that could be legit, but this guy sure gets a lot of help with his ERA. It seems like he gives up unearned runs in every single home start.

OUReds
08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Haha, it looks like the St. Louis score keeper was at it again tonight. Jaime Garcia gave up 3 runs, none of them earned. I suppose that could be legit, but this guy sure gets a lot of help with his ERA. It seems like he gives up unearned runs in every single home start.

Well, his 3rd baseman is Felipe Lopez.

oregonred
08-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Need to make some hay the next two nights before the Dodgers series with favorable pitching matchups.

Tomorrow the Cards throw Wainwright at home (guaranteed win), but Milwaukee has Gallardo going.

membengal
08-18-2010, 12:38 AM

It was legit. Lopez two errors, Ryan one. One of Lopez's errors opened the doors for the Brewer runs.

oregonred
08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Garcia has tossed more innings than Leake so far this year coming off surgery. And he averages more pitches/inning than Leake.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
It was legit. Lopez two errors, Ryan one. One of Lopez's errors opened the doors for the Brewer runs.

I see. I figured that could be the case, but we all know how they do score keeping over there. He's been the beneficiary of some very friendly score keeping calls this season.

That being said, I am not at all surprised that Felipe could pull something like that off.

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Glad the Reds won and the Cards lost!

Phillies trampled the Giants, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Outside of that, not much help today as the Braves and Padres both won.

The Operator
08-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Garcia has tossed more innings than Leake so far this year coming off surgery. And he averages more pitches/inning than Leake.

Let them burn his arm up, I say. It might sound bad but I wouldn't care if every single pitcher they have goes under the knife.

Slyder
08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Jay Ks. Brewers walking Pujols with two outs and first base open.

First and second, Holliday up in a 3-2 game.

*Goes to the highest mountain and yells*

Take note of what other teams do to Pujols and please follow their example Dusty.

Tommyjohn25
08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
As Reds44 said (at least I think it was him), good thing the Reds woke up that "sleeping giant".

Cedric
08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Dusty walked Pujols last Wednesday. Holliday walked after that and then Rasmus hit a grand slam against Arroyo.

BRM
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
As Reds44 said (at least I think it was him), good thing the Reds woke up that "sleeping giant".

The "sleeping giant" has lost three in a row.

OesterPoster
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Always some good stuff from the guys at brewerfan.net. A few posts from their game thread last night against the Cards...

Dear Baseball Gods,

I know the Brewers aren't making the postseason. I know that all games are meaningful, but some are just more meaningful than others, and frankly, the Brewers really don't have very many of those left at all. I will admit that in a couple short weeks my sports attention will shift away from the Crew almost entirely. For this offense, I beg forgiveness. I know the Brewers have at least one more good run of games in them yet this season. Please, please consider allowing that run to be tonight and tomorrow.

I'll give up a good series against the Padres. I'll give up a good mid-September series against the Giants. I'll even accept Brandon Phillips, bless his heart, continuing to pummel Brewer pitching over the next month. I wouldn't at all mind a nice revival from September 3 through September 8, but if these next two games are any good, I'll take what I can get those days.

Thank you for your consideration.

The classy thing to do would be to just lay down in these two games and let the much-more-worthy Cardinals continue their hunt for a division title.

How unclassy of Casey to hit their pitcher in his first at bat and then hit a home run his second at bat. I'll be surprised if he isn't roundly booed in his next at bat.

Did the STL fans actually participate in a wave earlier tonight? And would that mean the wave became classy?

membengal
08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
OesterPoster:

Heh.

Brewers/Cards at 2:15 est today.

Degenerate39
08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

It went back to sleep

WebScorpion
08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
It went back to sleep
Hopefully, the giant is narcoleptic. :D

The Operator
08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I think the giant may be on sleep enhancing drugs.

OesterPoster
08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Brewers @ Cards coming up in a few minutes. No Rasmus again today. Pinch-hit last night, though he has stated that his calf is strained and keeping him out of the lineup for 3 to 4 games.

Wolf for Milwaukee. Wainwright for the Cards.

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Rasmus doesn't sound too happy about pinch-hitting last night.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/08/17/10/Injured-Rasmus-surprised-to-pinch-hit-/landing.html?blockID=292491&feedID=3708

traderumor
08-18-2010, 02:45 PM
But Rasmus reaffirmed after the game that he thought he was unavailable for both Tuesday and Wednesday’s games.

“Yeah, that was my understanding,” Rasmus said. “But I didn’t have a problem with it.”No problem except for saying "I just work here."

I'm telling ya, this is a fragile team that I will be the least surprised person here to see wilt in the last 40+ games. Whiners are always fragile.

OesterPoster
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
That's some strange communication between a player and a manger.

traderumor
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
That's some strange communication between a player and a manger.I think Tony is a "separate and unequal" style leader (just a wild guess ;)). Office far away from players and very little contact with the clubhouse is my guess.

westofyou
08-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I think Tony is a "separate and unequal" style leader (just a wild guess ;)). Office far away from players and very little contact with the clubhouse is my guess.

The Earl Weaver method

The Voice of IH
08-18-2010, 03:29 PM

someone better kick that giant or it may fall out of contention all together :thumbup:

Brutus
08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
FWIW, Braves losing 2-0 and Phillies are again beating the Giants 5-1.

Lost in the shuffle today was the Padres beating the Cubbies again.

Tommyjohn25
08-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I think the giant may be on sleep enhancing drugs.

Thread winner!

Brutus
08-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Braves-Nats are at 2-2 in the 6th.

Giants have scored once, still trail 5-2 to Philly in the 6th.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 01:15 AM
What an excellent win by the Reds tonight. Down 7-3 entering the 8th inning, I thought the game was over. Nope, the Reds scored four runs in the 8th to tie it and scored four more runs in the 9th inning to win 11-7. IMO, this win makes up for one of the losses in Atlanta/Philly. After the Gomes debacle in the 5th inning and struggles of Volquez, this game was shaping up to be one of the most frustrating games of the season. UNTIL the Reds bounced back and turned it into one of the best wins of the season.

Three game lead in the NL Central!

Slyder
08-19-2010, 01:23 AM
What an excellent win by the Reds tonight. Down 7-3 entering the 8th inning, I thought the game was over. Nope, the Reds scored four runs in the 8th to tie it and scored four more runs in the 9th inning to win 11-7. IMO, this win makes up for one of the losses in Atlanta/Philly. After the Gomes debacle in the 5th inning and struggles of Volquez, this game was shaping up to be one of the most frustrating games of the season. UNTIL the Reds bounced back and turned it into one of the best wins of the season.

I do not see how we can keep running Volquez out there if he finds the dirt more than the strike zone like he is, if it stays close. Volquez needs time and that is why I wished they would use this season to let Volquez work out of the pen. Where you could limit his innings and if he didnt have "it" on a given night you could quickly adjust. You can't keep rolling the dice that the offense is going to keep supporting him.

Brutus
08-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Reds are 10-2-1 in series in July & August.

oregonred
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I do not see how we can keep running Volquez out there if he finds the dirt more than the strike zone like he is, if it stays close. Volquez needs time and that is why I wished they would use this season to let Volquez work out of the pen. Where you could limit his innings and if he didnt have "it" on a given night you could quickly adjust. You can't keep rolling the dice that the offense is going to keep supporting him.

Yep, they've been lucky so far with Volquez so the experiment can continue another couple of weeks I would think. He appears to be much better at home than on the road against uninteresting opponents (Cubs, D-Backs). 1.78 WHIP is scary, very lucky that the offense has been going nuts when he's on the hill.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Volquez has made seven starts, he's allowed only one run in four of those starts. He was bad tonight but I would keep running him out there, unless of course he struggles in two or three straight starts like he did tonight.

guttle11
08-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Did Mark Berry hop a flight to LA to finish the game in the 3B box for the Dodgers? Guy gets thrown out by 10 feet to end the game on a wild play. Rockies escape...

Slyder
08-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Volquez has made seven starts, he's allowed only one run in four of those starts. He was bad tonight but I would keep running him out there, unless of course he struggles in two or three straight starts like he did tonight.

Odds of him continueing that streak when he's having trouble finding the strike zone are slim to none. Thats the issue I have with him right now.

The Operator
08-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Volquez is such a frustrating pitcher to be a fan of. He's got Cy Young stuff, he just completely loses command from time to time. I really wish he could get things a little more consistent.

mth123
08-19-2010, 05:59 AM

Agreed. This team has contributions from everyone and they pick each other up. I think a post season appeaance is starting to become more and more likely. Hopefully the pitching won't run out of gas by play-off time. They need to keep running Volquez and Bailey out there. Those are the guys who might be at the top of their game come October. Cueto and Wood will be in uncharted territiry (but it doesn't mean they can't still be good, just that alternatives need to be ready) and Leake will probably be toast by then. Arroyo can't pitch every night. Volquez and Bailey could be in mid-season form at that point. The Reds need them.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2010, 12:36 AM
The Reds extend their lead to a season-high 3 1/2 games over the Cardinals and extend their winning streak to a season-high six games. 19 games above .500 at 70-51. Hopefully the Reds can find a way to at least split the final six games on this trip.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Not a bad day today. Reds win, Cards don't play, the Giants beat the Phillies and Washington beat Atlanta. San Diego unfortunately won, but it was a great day!

traderumor
08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Cubbies blow 3-2 lead on a two-strike, two out bases loaded triple in the top of the 9th by Rick Ankiel to bail out the Braves. Tough to gloat here as both teams are on my short list of opponents I like to see lose in various painful ways ;)

Billy Wagner throws an anti-Cordero inning of 12 strikes and only 3 balls to make quick work of the Cubs and close out the game.

Cyclone792
08-20-2010, 08:26 PM
MLB Network is showing regional coverage, and for those in Cincinnati that means you should be getting the Cardinals/Giants game right now.

Brutus
08-20-2010, 08:43 PM
MLB Network is showing regional coverage, and for those in Cincinnati that means you should be getting the Cardinals/Giants game right now.

And for those not watching said game, Giants have taken a 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning.

The Operator
08-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Pablo Sandoval gives The Giants a 3-1 lead. Gooo Giants!! ...Until The Reds come to town.

PuffyPig
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
6-1 SF, bottom of the 8th.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Giants lead the Cardinals 6-3 heading to the 9th inning.

The Voice of IH
08-20-2010, 10:53 PM
QUICK! someone kick that sleeping Giant HARDER! they are falling out of contention! ;)

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Brian Wilson quickly gets the first two outs in the bottom of the 9th but then gives up singles to Schumaker and Pujols.

oneupper
08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Cards LOSE 6-3. Mighty Holiday has ground out.

HeatherC1212
08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I like going to bed knowing that the Reds will still be up by at least 3.5 games when I wake up tomorrow morning. :D

OnBaseMachine
08-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Reds extend their division lead to 4 1/2 games with 40 games remaining.

oregonred
08-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Reds extend their division lead to 4 1/2 games with 40 games remaining.

Incredible, also now a .582 Win % at 71-51.

24-16 gets to 95 wins
20-20 gets to 91 wins

Gotta scratch out at least two more wins on the roadtrip to close the deal, then the schedule really turns in our favor.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Incredible, also now a .582 Win % at 71-51.

24-16 gets to 95 wins
20-20 gets to 91 wins

Gotta scratch out at least two more wins on the roadtrip to close the deal, then the schedule really turns in our favor.

23-17, .575 ball, gets the Reds to 94 wins, as you say.

By getting to 94-68, the Cardinals would have to go 30-13 in their final 43 games to win the division outright. 30-13!

HeatherC1212
08-21-2010, 01:48 AM
I love scoreboard watching! :D

BTW-I read somewhere earlier today that at this time last year, before the game tonight, the Reds record was actually 50-71....the exact opposite of what it was before tonight's win. What a difference a year makes! :eek: :D

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately, all of the other teams (except the Padres) won today (Atlanta and Philly). So glad San Fran beat the Cards though!

Ron Madden
08-21-2010, 05:49 AM
I'd love for the Reds to be up by at least 4 games going in to the Labor Day weekend series against the Cardinals in ST. Louis, just to give us some breathing room.

redsfandan
08-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I love scoreboard watching! :D

BTW-I read somewhere earlier today that at this time last year, before the game tonight, the Reds record was actually 50-71....the exact opposite of what it was before tonight's win. What a difference a year makes! :eek: :D
That's pretty cool. It's so nice to have the down years behind us.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Braves are trailing the Cubs 5-1 in the 6th.

Tonight, the Phillies face Strasburg and Lincecum battles Carpenter in the Giants-Cardinals game. San Diego draws Chris Narveson of the Brewers, while running out Kevin Correia.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Braves drop to the Cubs this evening, 5-4. The Reds would have a tie with the Braves for 2nd overall best record in the NL (2 games behind San Diego) with a win tonight.

Ghosts of 1990
08-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Braves drop to the Cubs this evening, 5-4. The Reds would have a tie with the Braves for 2nd overall best record in the NL (2 games behind San Diego) with a win tonight.

Lets get it done!

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:31 PM
The Nats put a 3-spot on the board against Philadelphia in the first inning tonight. Strasburg has a 3-0 lead to work with.

Cyclone792
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Listening to the Cardinals' broadcast on MLB Network is a trip. These guys are beyond full of themselves. They're commenting that when Albert Pujols does his bat tap on the catcher/umpire shin guards, that nobody takes exception because those guys feel "honored" to get the bat tap from Pujols. Then they proceeded to start ripping Brandon Phillips.

On top of that, they're already advertising the Reds upcoming September series, calling it "The Rivalry" and blasting the Reds altogether.

Just typical Cardinal "class" shown by these guys. :lol:

Nevertheless, there's no score in the top of the 2nd.

VR
08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Listening to the Cardinals' broadcast on MLB Network is a trip. These guys are beyond full of themselves. They're commenting that when Albert Pujols does his bat tap on the catcher/umpire shin guards, that nobody takes exception because those guys feel "honored" to get the bat tap from Pujols. Then they proceeded to start ripping Brandon Phillips.

On top of that, they're already advertising the Reds upcoming September series, calling it "The Rivalry" and blasting the Reds altogether.

Just typical Cardinal "class" shown by these guys. :lol:

Nevertheless, there's no score in the top of the 2nd.

I was listening...got a good chuckle.

Carpenter not looking good with location at all tonight.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I was listening...got a good chuckle.

Carpenter not looking good with location at all tonight.

Yeah the Giants are at least making him work a bit so far. Not really much to show for it, but he hasn't had it too easy.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Giants just cut down Matt Holliday on a play at home in the bottom of the 2nd to keep the game scoreless. He walked, stole second and was sacrificed to third by Jon Jay. With one out, Molina hit into a fielder's choice to third, and the Giants gunned Holliday down trying to score. Big play.

VR
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Holliday thrown out at the plate on a Molina grounder to 3rd.....Pedro Feliz and his .561 OpS then K to end the inning

The Voice of IH
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Now lets put up some runs Giants!

VR
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Nats about to play add on vs. the Phils.....1st and 3rd, no outs, and the mighty Adam Kennedy coming to the dish.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Nats about to play add on vs. the Phils.....1st and 3rd, no outs, and the mighty Adam Kennedy coming to the dish.

You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

Brutus
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Cards escape the third only giving up one baserunner--although Carpenter has thrown about 50 pitches through 3 innings.

The Voice of IH
08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
funny how the announcers said that Carpenter has been nearly perfect LOL. His team is getting no hit right now!

Brutus
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
San Diego trailing Milwaukee 1-0 in the third.

The Nats' got that add-on run VR alluded to. They lead 4-0 and still batting with the bases loaded, no outs in the 3rd.

VR
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Kennedy singles, IRod singles. 4-0, bags still juiced and nobody out.

VR
08-21-2010, 08:02 PM
You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

If he started for the Cards tonight....he would have the 4th highest OpS among their starters at .687. Seriously.

The Voice of IH
08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I am starting to question the tracker in the Cards telecast. that ball was over the plate and they had it outside.

OnBaseMachine
08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
No score after three innings in St. Louis.

The Voice of IH
08-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Milwaukee is up 1 and has 2 men on in the bottom of the 3rd against San Diego

Brutus
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
If he started for the Cards tonight....he would have the 4th highest OpS among their starters at .687. Seriously.

I know it's easy to be naturally intimidated by St. Louis, and they have 4 very good reasons to be (Pujols, Holliday, Carp & Wainwright), but that offense has some major, major issues.

You can win in the playoffs with that kind of offense, since they have two aces, but problem is you need very good defense and they don't even have that.

The Voice of IH
08-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Milwaukee is up 1 and has 2 men on in the bottom of the 3rd against San Diego

Bases loaded, no out for the Brew Crew

VR
I know it's easy to be naturally intimidated by St. Louis, and they have 4 very good reasons to be (Pujols, Holliday, Carp & Wainwright), but that offense has some major, major issues.

You can win in the playoffs with that kind of offense, since they have two aces, but problem is you need very good defense and they don't even have that.

And no margin of error. They can't absorb the loss of any of those 4 for even a start or two. It does show the value of having a true ace (or two)

Brutus
Washington up 5-0 on Philadelphia.

In other news... Trenton of the Eastern League leads Portland 5-2. Why is that relevant? It's not. Just wanted to toss that out there.

VR
08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't have imagined the Giants would have done much this year with Sandoval crashing to earth like he has.