PDA

View Full Version : Reds ratings are insane this year

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I saw this article, it's from a little over a week ago but pretty interesting. Here's the link and an excerpt:

"Fans have been flocking to their TVs and radios as the Reds broke out to their hottest start to a season since their near-playoff run in 1999.

The Reds have the fourth-best regional sports network TV ratings of any Major League Baseball team through June 30, according to figures compiled by Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal, a Business Courier sister publication. The Reds have averaged a 6.52 percent rating so far this year on Fox Sports Ohio, according to Nielsen Media Research data. Only the St. Louis Cardinals, Minnesota Twins and Philadelphia Phillies ranked higher.
Ratings up 49 percent on the year

Reds TV ratings have soared 49 percent this year through June 30. And ratings keep rising. They’re now up 58 percent for the year, according to Fox Sports Ohio. Ratings have improved every month this year. So far through July, Reds broadcasts have averaged an 8.01 rating. That’s a 144 percent increase from a year ago.

Reds radio ratings were even more impressive. The team’s games on WLW-AM had the highest average audience share per game of any MLB team. About 25 percent of men ages 25 to 54 who were listening to the radio during a Reds broadcast were tuned to the game, according to Arbitron Inc. data. The Detroit Tigers were second with a 21.3 percent radio share.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/othercities/cincinnati/stories/2010/08/02/story2.html?b=1280721600^3730991&s=industry&i=sports_business

Reds
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
that radio stat (25%) is crazy good. that's probably at an all time high for WLW and in the year 2010 of all things, with the internet and tv and all.

Jr's Boy
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
It's called winning folks.:thumbup:

Rex0r
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
And with good reason, this young reds club is exciting!

BRM13
08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
that radio stat (25%) is crazy good. that's probably at an all time high for WLW and in the year 2010 of all things, with the internet and tv and all.

I believe it said "of men listening to the radio." Given all the alternatives, like the internet and TV, not many men are listening to the radio. In fact, almost the only reason to listen to regular radio (not satellite) is local sports. So, this might mean that 100 of the 400 men in Cincinnati listening to the radio had WLW on. In 1975, that might have been a lower number, say 20%, but it would have meant 20,000 of the 100,000 men listening to the radio...(I exaggerate, but you get my drift).

More generally, this article implicitly makes an important point. Winning is more profitable than losing!!!