PDA

View Full Version : Jim Edmonds to Reds for Chris Dickerson

keeganbrick
08-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Just saw it across bottom line on ESPN that Edmonds sent a text to someone claiming this. George Grande's wish may have came true a year too late!

Magdal
08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Egad!:eek:

BuckWild03
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5449338

Just found the article. Not sure what to think yet...

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
For chris dickerson.

What a colossal mistake that is.

How in the world is Jim Edmonds worth more than Chris dickerson.

ILoveWilly
Are you serious? Wow. We really got rid of Dickerson?????

GIDP
Seriously this is such a terrible and pathetic trade rofl

sivman17
Wait, we traded Dickerson for him?

Donder
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
What do you think the plan is? Platoon him in left? give him most of the at bats from center? At first blush I like this trade. Edmonds is smart hitter and I'd have to imagine improves the defense. But I hate to lose Dickerson.

lidspinner
I am not buying 1 second on this story....no way does CD get traded and no way its for JimE. Heck, might as well bring Griff back

BuckWild03
I'm confused...:confused:

Girevik
08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Where are folks seeing that it was Dickerson that was dealt?

sivman17
I have no problem with bringing him in, but why the F would we get rid of Dickerson for him? That makes NO SENSE.

RedsFanInBama
It's true. On the official Reds twitter page.

couch_manager
I think Dickerson's history with injuries hurt his trade value.

Girevik
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Dickerson when he's healthy, but unfortunately he spends more time on the DL than playing. I don't mind trading him if you think Edmonds is going to help you get into the playoffs this year.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Seriously I'm having trouble understanding this. They really had to give up Dickerson to land Edmonds? I dont mind getting edmonds but I simply cant believe they could believe that its a fair trade.

ILoveWilly
I guess him batting .450 ever since his rehab with the Bats wasn't enough to earn him a roster spot, nor his career numbers, while limited, a better average and OBP than any other OF'er on the team. Man this really pisses me off. What the blue hell are you thinking Walt.

sivman17
This is BS. What the hell was Walt thinking? I do not understand this at all. This is terrible.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
you all better hope Jim Edmonds isnt Dustys new favorite CFer.

couch_manager
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
So...Is he our starting center fielder now?

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Watch matters be compounded and Heisey be sent down to make room. What a gigantic cluster you know what this would be even more so.

sivman17
Edmonds hasn't been good since '05. He hasn't played in more than 117 games since '05. He's 40 years old. What am I missing here?

knoonan991
Could be a great move for the Reds, Dickerson is too much of an injury risk going forward. He has no spot in the OF now with the emergence of Heisey.

What's so bad about getting a proven playoff veteran to help spell a struggling Stubbs?

RedsFanInBama
08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Not a bad move IMO. I liked Dickerson but the injuries obviously are a very real issue. Who knows if he'll ever play more than partial seasons?

Edmonds is playing well this season and will give us some punch off the bench. Plus in a clutch situation in a pennant race, I'll take Edmonds every day of the week over Dickerson.

Not a great move for next year or beyond, but I do think it helps THIS YEAR'S TEAM.

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Edmonds hasn't been good since '05. He hasn't played in more than 117 games since '05. He's 40 years old. What am I missing here?

That also negated the stupid argument that Dickerson is injury prone. So a 40 year old would be LESS injury prone? :rolleyes:

sivman17
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Will he play LF or CF? He doesn't have near the defensive talent or speed as Stubbs or Heisey in CF. He was good. He's old and slow now.

lidspinner
08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Not a bad move IMO. I liked Dickerson but the injuries obviously are a very real issue. Who knows if he'll ever play more than partial seasons?

Edmonds is playing well this season and will give us some punch off the bench. Plus in a clutch situation in a pennant race, I'll take Edmonds every day of the week over Dickerson.
Not a great move for next year or beyond, but I do think it helps THIS YEAR'S TEAM.

basically we traded CD and whoever we drop to get him.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Jim Edmonds is a very good LH bench bat. No doubt about that one.

RedsFanInBama
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
basically we traded CD and whoever we drop to get him.

Which will be Nix.

FWIW, Edmonds is hitting really well this season.

sivman17
I guess this isn't all that bad. I hate to see Dickerson go, especially to a division team. Edmonds will definitely provide a nice LF bat.

BEETTLEBUG
Whom gets droped off roster then

GIDP
If Laynce Nix has a roster spot after this trade I'd be surprised.

defender
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
If this trade would have been made July 31, I think people would have loved it. At that time the Reds hold on a playoff spot seemed pretty shaky. When Walt did not make a move, most people said he dropped the ball. 9 days later, after the Reds go 6-1 and Dickerson lights up AAA, my first reaction is: horrible move.

GIDP
Whom gets droped off roster then

Drew Sutton was already removed off the 40 man so no one needs removed. Just someone needs to be demoted. If they dont get rid of Nix then its Stubbs or Hesiey.

thorn
Could be a great move for the Reds, Dickerson is too much of an injury risk going forward. He has no spot in the OF now with the emergence of Heisey.

What's so bad about getting a proven playoff veteran to help spell a struggling Stubbs?

This! Add in the fact he's a lefty to help against the Carpenters, Wainwrights', Hollidays, Oswalts, Lincecum and other righties in the playoffs. I like it.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
This is a case of man love as I think Edmonds was the 1st great aquisition by Walt back in St. Louis.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/59756144_8c5777e40f_o.jpg

couch_manager
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Edmonds had to pass through waivers for this deal to happen, right? If so, this move apparently did not bother the Cardinals one bit

GIDP
Which will be Nix.

FWIW, Edmonds is hitting really well this season.

Yea no doubt Edmonds will be a huge upgrade for the LH power bat off the bench. Hes just the type of guy I expected Walt to land.

redsfan_12
I don't have a problem with it. Especially because Dickerson is never healthy

RedsFanInBama
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I think this will still cost Nix his spot on the Reds.

That will also free up another spot on the 40-man for either Izzy or an extra September call-up (Cozart, Corky).

sivman17
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
It's a decent move I guess. But I'd say Nix won't be on the active roster anymore. Which kinda sucks cause he's been red hot lately and does not deserve to be sent down.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I like it. I have never been a big Dickerson fan and don't see him ever being an every day player.

I have always thought that he was overrated by RZers.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Edmonds had to pass through waivers for this deal to happen, right? If so, this move apparently did not bother the Cardinals one bitCorrect. I have read that Jim contacted their GM 2 weeks back to feel him out....no dice.

Caveman Techie
08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Hate to give up Dickerson, but Edmonds can help the Reds out this year. So I am cautiously optimistic.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
It's a decent move I guess. But I'd say Nix won't be on the active roster anymore. Which kinda sucks cause he's been red hot lately and does not deserve to be sent down.

His career says he really shouldnt be on the roster. Jim Edmonds is a clear upgrade.

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't have a problem with it. Especially because Dickerson is never healthy

Dude, he's healthy right now, and was batting about .450 with the Bats. Who gives a jack crap if he was injured in the past. Past injuries are almost always due to circumstance and not some sort of chronic illness that causes you to get hit in the hand with a pitch or something every other day. Chances are if he was called up and put in left over Gomes, he would have outhit Gomes, definitely upgraded our defense, and probably had batted about .300 the rest of the way the way he was seeing the ball.

I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that this was good because Dickerson is more likely to be injured than a freaking 40 year old. That's insane!

couch_manager
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Nix is the obvious choice to go down because he's a left handed bat. But is it possible that Francisco goes down and we carry an extra outfielder with playoff experience on the roster for the Cards series?

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
There is no reason to keep Nix on the roster if you have Edmonds. ZERO reason.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Lighting things up in Louisville for a couple of weeks is not a harbinger of MLB stardom.

Just ask Gary Mathews, Jr., Adam Rosales, Darnell McDonald, Edwin Encarnacion, Cory Patterson, Jeff Keppinger, Norris Hopper and Jay Bruce.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Edmonds has played 54 games at first base. Not saying its huge but it does help a little in that regard. I trust Edmonds bat more than I trust Cairos when Votto needs a day off.

ELCABALLO45
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Brewer fan here.

Like this trade for both teams. Dickerson will provide good depth off the bench for the Brewers with a career .367 OBP and Edmonds will provide a good left handed bat with pop for the Cards. And actually his defense has not been THAT bad this year.

Edmonds has now been on 4 off the 6 NL Central Teams.

PS - Go Reds, beat the Cards!

DirtyBaker
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I really like this trade so long as Heisey continues to play center and mix Gomes and Edmonds in LF for lefties/righties.

Say what you will about Dickerson. We will still have Stubbs who will improve and far is less injury prone. Add the fact that Edmonds is hitting well in the majors while Dickerson is hitting well in the minors and I'll take my chances with Edmonds.

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
There is no reason to keep Nix on the roster if you have Edmonds. ZERO reason.

There was zero reason to make this trade too, so would it shock you at all if Chris Heisey is demoted for the sake of Laynce freaking Nix?

For whatever reason this franchise has a hard on for veterans and wild swinging strikeout guys, which is why Juan Francisco gets brought up, why Laynce Nix has been on the team all year (although has been playing better lately I'll give him at least), why Cabrera has been batting second all year, and why we're getting rid of a guy who has proven in the past he can hit well for you and play good defense down the stretch.

So no, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Laynce was on the team still. Would you really be that shocked?

jrandal9
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Initially I had the same reaction WTF! But looking at it through neutral eyes, Edmonds will help this team this year while Heisey keeps getting groomed to take over Center or Left next year. Good acquistion and let us hope he CRUSHES the ball against the Cards...if he is here.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I would be surprised if they got rid of Heisey or Stubbs in favor of Nix. There is no way they can look at Edmonds as an every day player. He is a LH platoon guy to play with Gomes. I'd be surprised if they didnt go that route.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Initially I had the same reaction WTF! But looking at it through neutral eyes, Edmonds will help this team this year while Heisey keeps getting groomed to take over Center or Left next year. Good acquistion and let us hope he CRUSHES the ball against the Cards...if he is here.He will be at batting practice with bells on! He would enjoy NOTHING more than to beat LaRussa!

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Lighting things up in Louisville for a couple of weeks is not a harbinger of MLB stardom.

Just ask Gary Mathews, Jr., Adam Rosales, Darnell McDonald, Edwin Encarnacion, Cory Patterson, Jeff Keppinger, Norris Hopper and Jay Bruce.

None of those EVER tore it up down the stretch like Dickerson has before for
the Reds (and Jay Bruce shouldn't even be on that list.) And Keppinger is worlds better than Cabrera and shouldn't have been traded either. That's a good analogy though, thanks for bringing it up, because Chris Dickerson is very Keppinger esque in the way he plays and gets treated by management, except with more physical talent. He goes out and gets the job done and has very good numbers that if were put up by younger guys on the team, like a Drew Stubbs, would be calling for the young guy to be signed to a big ass contract.

I don't know about you but I would have taken Keppingers .291/.355/.402 line over Cabrera's any day of the week. And I would take Dickerson over Gomes down the stretch any day of the week.

Reds
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Trading youth for a vet - we must want to win now. that i like.

WildcatFan
08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I understand the move to a degree, but I was a big Dickerson fan, and I've hated Jim Edmonds for 10 years. That said, I'm not one to criticize Walt at this point. I'm just going to hate, hate, hate cheering for Edmonds.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I would be surprised if they got rid of Heisey or Stubbs in favor of Nix. There is no way they can look at Edmonds as an every day player. He is a LH platoon guy to play with Gomes. I'd be surprised if they didnt go that route.

I think you are correct. Gomes has a .855 OPS versus lefties and Edmonds has a .858 OPS versus righties. Looks like a nice platoon for the stretch run.

Jr's Boy
08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Speaking of Edmonds,didn't they say when George Grande left that he would be coming back for a limited number of games in September?I'm not joking,I remember when that was said,because I was looking forward to it.

Señor Rojo
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
There is no veteran leadership among the current outfielders we have. Edmonds can provide that as Scott Rolen has done for the infield. The thing about Dickerson is that his value always seemed to go up when he was injured. The argument would go something like: "Well Dickerson would be doing better than ___" Problem is that Dickerson was never healthy enough to prove that argument to be true. Playoff teams have proven starters, not questionable players.

Reds
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
yeah they said that grande would be back for a few...

couch_manager
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
That's a good analogy though, thanks for bringing it up, because Chris Dickerson is very Keppinger esque in the way he plays and gets treated by management, except with more physical talent. He goes out and gets the job done and has very good numbers that if were put up by younger guys on the team, like a Drew Stubbs, would be calling for the young guy to be signed to a big ass contract.

Give me a break. Dickerson was hurt for the second half of last year and the first half of this year. They gave him chances. He whined about not being considered for one of the starting outfield jobs in spring training. They told him one of the reasons was because he was so injury prone...he had several stints on the DL last year. Then what does he do? He gets injured less than a month into the season. I wouldn't sign a guy like that to a "big ass" contract.

BurgervilleBuck
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Jim bleeping Edmonds.

Jr's Boy
He will be at batting practice with bells on! He would enjoy NOTHING more than to beat LaRussa!

You best believe Walt is seriously trying to stick it to his old team.I like this guy more and more everyday with these machiavellian decisions.

brm7675
I see Nix getting DFA and Edmonds taking on his role.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 03:10 PM
the Reds (and Jay Bruce shouldn't even be on that list.) And Keppinger is worlds better than Cabrera and shouldn't have been traded either. That's a good analogy though, thanks for bringing it up, because Chris Dickerson is very Keppinger esque in the way he plays and gets treated by management, except with more physical talent. He goes out and gets the job done and has very good numbers that if were put up by younger guys on the team, like a Drew Stubbs, would be calling for the young guy to be signed to a big ass contract.

I don't know about you but I would have taken Keppingers .291/.355/.402 line over Cabrera's any day of the week. And I would take Dickerson over Gomes down the stretch any day of the week.

You think that the Reds should have made Keppinger the SS of the future? That is crazy talk. Keppinger is a useful player, but he does not have the glove for SS and he doesnt have the stick for 2B.

Dickerson doesnt have the bat to play a corner OF position (plenty of OBP, not nearly enough SLG) and he doesnt have the glove to play CF.

Also, I put Jay Bruce in there as a joke.

Reds
HOF for edmonds? maybe so. that's another topic.

Knightro28
There is no veteran leadership among the current outfielders we have. Edmonds can provide that as Scott Rolen has done for the infield. The thing about Dickerson is that his value always seemed to go up when he was injured. The argument would go something like: "Well Dickerson would be doing better than ___" Problem is that Dickerson was never healthy enough to prove that argument to be true. Playoff teams have proven starters, not questionable players.

Great post. :thumbup:

I agree 100%

GIDP
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I think you are correct. Gomes has a .858 OPS versus lefties and Edmonds has a .858 OPS versus righties. Looks like a nice platoon for the stretch run.

Yea they could do a lot worse. Edmonds is certainly a better LH bat than Nix. Hard to dislike the move as long Edmonds takes Nix job and is played in a platoon type of situation between some corner OF positions.

ILoveWilly
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Chris Dickerson played 97 games last year and batted .275/.370
Down the stretch in 2008 when he was called up in 31 games he batted .304/.403

He was hitting damn near .450 with the Bats. People can poo poo all Triple A numbers, but he's been a great player for us when he's played and all indications of the way he's returned from the DL show that there's no reason not to expect those numbers again.

But whatever, let people live in their myths about how good they think a player is when facts prove them wrong, I'm already tired of thinking about this and ready to move on.

The only reason I'm hopeful is that the Reds can do for Edmonds what they did for Rolen, and vice versa, meaning a veteran can come on and help the team and in turn be re-energized by being added to a young exciting team in the thick of a playoff race, which seems like something Edmonds would be up for.

All I know is if we can't make the playoffs and I look up year end and see since this trade that Dickerson has tore it up for the Brewers, which wouldn't be easy suddenly going from a division leading franchise to a go nowhere club, and that Gomes continues to slump - I'm going to be pretty ticked.

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I have never been a Jim Edmonds fan, I actually spent a lot of my life disliking the guy since he was on the Cards. However, I LOVE this move.

Dickerson is the classic player that we all over-value by a ton. He is 28, finds his way on base, doesn't bring much power. Had a good 1st 100 PA's in the MLB, an average next 300 PA's, and a lot of injuries to go with them.

Trading a guy who will never be more than a 4th outfielder for a guy who is probably the best 4th outfielder in the league, can spell Gomes and Stubbs and provide power (something CDick has displayed little of) from the Left Side is a great pickup. Oh and he has played very good defense this year as well. He could potentially become a near full time player down the stretch and would provide similar offensive value to Gomes with much better defense. Gomes/Edmonds, Heisey/Stubbs, Bruce can be a very good outfield.

The bottom line is we are trying to win a division and a world series, and our team just got a lot better today. And not really at that big of an expense, I know a lot of guys like CDick for deserved reasons, but he didn't have much of a future with the team. We still have Frazier, Dorn, Sappelt, and the quickly emerging Felix Perez to go along with Stubbs, Heisey, and Bruce. We have plenty of outfield options.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Yea they could do a lot worse. Edmonds is certainly a better LH bat than Nix. Hard to dislike the move as long Edmonds takes Nix job and is played in a platoon type of situation between some corner OF positions.

The more I think about this the more I like it. The most upset I get as a Reds fan this season is when Nix steps to the plate. It makes me crazy when Dusty gives him ABs. If all of Nix's AB go to Edmonds it will make me very happy.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
You best believe Walt is seriously trying to stick it to his old team.I like this guy more and more everyday with these machiavellian decisions.Correct me if I'm wrong, But there are now more 2006 Cards on the Reds than on the CARDS! BTW: "machiavellian" means WHAT, Jr. ???

GIDP
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
The more I think about this the more I like it. The most upset I get as a Reds fan this season is when Nix steps to the plate. It makes me crazy when Dusty gives him ABs. If all of Nix's AB go to Edmonds it will make me very happy.

Yea Nix isnt so bad that I wouldnt take him but if you have the current OF options of Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey you really dont have a spot for a guy like Nix. He has a role as the defensive guy, but the reds have that covered easily.

Edmonds is a clear upgrade over nix with the bat. Its hard to see where Nix fits at all right now.

Señor Rojo
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Chris Dickerson played 97 games last year and batted .275/.370
Down the stretch in 2008 when he was called up in 31 games he batted .304/.403

He was hitting damn near .450 with the Bats. People can poo poo all Triple A numbers, but he's been a great player for us when he's played and all indications of the way he's returned from the DL show that there's no reason not to expect those numbers again.

But whatever, let people live in their myths about how good they think a player is when facts prove them wrong, I'm already tired of thinking about this and ready to move on.

The only reason I'm hopeful is that the Reds can do for Edmonds what they did for Rolen, and vice versa, meaning a veteran can come on and help the team and in turn be re-energized by being added to a young exciting team in the thick of a playoff race, which seems like something Edmonds would be up for.

All I know is if we can't make the playoffs and I look up year end and see since this trade that Dickerson has tore it up for the Brewers, which wouldn't be easy suddenly going from a division leading franchise to a go nowhere club, and that Gomes continues to slump - I'm going to be pretty ticked.

I agree with you that Dickerson was giving Reds fans something to be hopeful for based on his performance in Louisville. However, I say we let this season play out before we "what if" this trade. Rolen has turned into an amazing pickup for us. It more important what the player can do for the team, rather than what the player can do for himself. Edmonds has a lot to play for this season since it may be his last stretch with a playoff team. I'd personally rather have a proven veteran playing his last games instead of a young player trying to find his way on a team.

code
08-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, this surely wasn't the bat I had hoped for in the outfield.

Dale4Saul2Red0
08-09-2010, 03:24 PM

At least someone gets it!

:beerme:

BamaRed
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I like it. I have never been a big Dickerson fan and don't see him ever being an every day player.

I have always thought that he was overrated by RZers.

At least someone here gets it!

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Dickerson was around in 1999, the last time we were down the stretch in a playoff race? Oh wait no Dickerson has never tore it up down the stretch unless you think 100 PA's after a September callup while 20 games out of first place is the same as a pennant chase.

Dickerson's career .789 OPS isn't that much higher than Stubbs career .724 OPS and nobody is even close to clamoring for a big contract for someone putting up a .789 OPS. Meanwhile Edmonds is OPS'ing .843 this year.

Dale4Saul2Red0
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Where is this man love for Dickerson coming from? He's 28 years old and has always been injured. He isn't exactly some young buck, and even when he has been playing his career line is nothing that makes people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Is this the whole people are going to complain just to complain bit we always see on here? Me thinks so.

bagz
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I have never been a Jim Edmonds fan, I actually spent a lot of my life disliking the guy since he was on the Cards. However, I LOVE this move.

Dickerson is the classic player that we all over-value by a ton. He is 28, finds his way on base, doesn't bring much power. Had a good 1st 100 PA's in the MLB, an average next 300 PA's, and a lot of injuries to go with them.

Trading a guy who will never be more than a 4th outfielder for a guy who is probably the best 4th outfielder in the league, can spell Gomes and Stubbs and provide power (something CDick has displayed little of) from the Left Side is a great pickup. Oh and he has played very good defense this year as well. He could potentially become a near full time player down the stretch and would provide similar offensive value to Gomes with much better defense. Gomes/Edmonds, Heisey/Stubbs, Bruce can be a very good outfield.

The bottom line is we are trying to win a division and a world series, and our team just got a lot better today. And not really at that big of an expense, I know a lot of guys like CDick for deserved reasons, but he didn't have much of a future with the team. We still have Frazier, Dorn, Sappelt, and the quickly emerging Felix Perez to go along with Stubbs, Heisey, and Bruce. We have plenty of outfield options.

Good Post. I too wasn't too crazy about him when he was with the Cards. But he's a veteran who knows how to play,could be a platoon player with Gomes in left and off the bench. I just hope it's Nix that gets released and not Heisey being send down

Trace's Daddy
08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I swear, I was about to have a fit when I saw: "Jim Edmonds to Reds for Chris..."
I was thinking Chris Heisey.

I'm cool with this trade. Put him in left with Gomes. Like someone said before, he provides the outfield with veteran leadership.

code
Hopefully he doesn’t die of old age first. (this is only a joke)

ILoveWilly
I agree with you that Dickerson was giving Reds fans something to be hopeful for based on his performance in Louisville. However, I say we let this season play out before we "what if" this trade. Rolen has turned into an amazing pickup for us. It more important what the player can do for the team, rather than what the player can do for himself. Edmonds has a lot to play for this season since it may be his last stretch with a playoff team. I'd personally rather have a proven veteran playing his last games instead of a young player trying to find his way on a team.

This shouldn't be about either/or anyway. Dickerson bats right and Edmonds bats left. THAT would have been a hell of a LF platoon. Right now, outfield hitting has been the biggest deficit in the order on the team. Bruce seems to be heating up, Stubbs played well the other day, and Gomes seems to just continue to lose steam - but they've all been pretty crappy recently. Then Heisey goes and gets a chance and makes the most of it, and I'm wondering why Dickerson didn't get that same chance?

I'm just wondering WHAT exactly kept Walt from making this trade two weeks ago if he wanted Edmonds this bad. Think about it, Edmonds passed waivers for almost EVERY other team in the NL. What was preventing us from landing him for a different player a couple weeks ago where we have a surplus of players where there is no room for them on the squad. A LeCure, an Owings, guys that could be serviceable 4th/5th starters in the majors when teams need pitching, who are not going to be with the Reds anytime in the future barring a ton of injuries?

I just don't get it, at all. We need OF help, and we gave Heisey the shot as a starter and he has taken advantage of it, which BTW, there was a ton of people taking shots on him saying all he does is strikeout too before he got that shot. Dickerson didn't get his shot, when he's done nothing but good things before for us.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that there is also an element of the Reds' brass/Dusty not liking Dickerson's personality. Dickerson seems to be a part of a small clique in the clubhouse that is not as team oriented as the Reds would like. I think Homer is also in this crew. I don't have anything to back this up with other than observing the team in the dugout. But it has always stuck out.

Dickerson's play in AAA was forcing a call up and the Reds may have decided that they simply didnt want him in their good-chemestry clubhouse. His value is at an all-time high so why not move him for a vet that is a proven winner?

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
This move may be the silver lining that Heisey is our new full time starting CF'er and Stubbs is out of that role. Therefore we needed a new top pinch hitter off the bench since Heisey was in that role. Just some additional food for thought.

BLEEDS
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Edmonds has a 126 OPS+ this season.
and a 6.4 uzr

Dickerson is a 5th OFer (at best on this current roster) who can't stay healthy in the bigs. Calling hin fragile would be an understatement.

In general, Great Move.
We are in a playoff race = Brilliant Move.
End of discussion.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

aceace
08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Dickersons 28, we have plenty of CFers that are better now. He was expendable. Edmunds brings a lot of pop and that LH bat + short fence could = several HRs before the years out. I think some are worried that Dicky is going to turn into an all-star. This is a really good move IMHO we are in win now mode. This could be a signal to the rest of the team that fading is not an option.

Reds
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
batting 5th tonight, in CF for the Reds -- Jim Edmonds

GIDP
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Apparently Stubbs or Heisey was demoted. The fact they are keeping Nix on the roster pisses me off. What role does he serve other than be a terrible hitter.

Caveman Techie
The more I think about it the more I like it. Edmonds is hitting right handed pitching quite well this year. Gomes is hitting left handed pitching quite well. Sounds like a Reeses' peanut butter cup platoon if I ever heard of one.

BLEEDS
batting 5th tonight, in CF for the Reds -- Jim Edmonds

Seriously?!?!

Love it if so!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Reds
08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Apparently Stubbs or Heisey was demoted. The fact they are keeping Nix on the roster pisses me off. What role does he serve other than be a terrible hitter.

Gomes is cold and Nix is hot and he made that nice diving catch. ;)

texasdave
08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Seriously I'm having trouble understanding this. They really had to give up Dickerson to land Edmonds? I dont mind getting edmonds but I simply cant believe they could believe that its a fair trade.

I can't believe it either. Milwaukee got bent over. LOL.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Gomes is cold and Nix is hot and he made that nice diving catch. ;)

and in 2 days he will be back to being the low .700 OPS bat with a .220 average, and a .280 OBP strictly against RH pitching.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Dickersons 28, we have plenty of CFers that are better now. He was expendable. Edmunds brings a lot of pop and that LH bat + short fence could = several HRs before the years out. I think some are worried that Dicky is going to turn into an all-star. This is a really good move IMHO we are in win now mode. This could be a signal to the rest of the team that fading is not an option.Quite a thread going here! It started with a 50/50 take on the trade and now it's like 90% positive. Hmmm...I think the question is: which is the better hitter for the rest of THIS season. Dicky? Or Eddie? I gotta go with Dicky.

Edmonds is, and always HAS been a strikeout machine....like 140 a season. I seriously doubt that he will do anything vs. 2 crafty Aces like Carpenter and Wainwright, who must have watched him strike out hundreds of times.

Play him against the other 3, IMO.

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Not crazy about this if it means Heisey or Stubbs gets demoted.

Further, I just can't see why we had to pay that much Edmonds.

That being said, welcome aboard, Crash....bring that spiritual veteran creaminess with you.

mu4103
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
This is a really interesting move that would make sense for the Reds. The biggest question is what will the outfield look like. If Edmonds takes over in center, even on a platoon basis with Heisey - I think this move will be bad. Heisey and Stubbs area good team in center.

If Edmonds platoons with Gomes in left, it would be a great move for the Reds. Edmonds career splits (righty vs. lefty) is tremondous. Vs. lefties he is batting .252 with a .333 OBP. vs. righties he is batting .296 with a .391 OBP. (I can't believe that he almost has 400 homeruns). With Gomes having a very similar split vs. the opposite pitchers. That would be a pretty amazing LF split. Neither Heisey or Stubbs show a tremendous difference in their splits.

However, Dusty does seem to favor playing veterans. With Gomes having a good weekend he may decide to play Edmonds in center. As it is I don't see that Edmonds would be much of an improvement over Heisey and the Reds may end up in the same place they were earlier - with another slumping OFer. Heisey has been the only consistent outfielder for the Reds recently. I really hope, Dusty platoons him with Gomes. This would make the most sense and add the greatest benefit to the team.

He is a great OFer, but if Dusty goes back to penciling in the same 3 guys every night, I think this move could turn out bad.

Reds
08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Brewers GM Doug Melvin told me another team claimed Edmonds on waivers but Reds had first dibs. They worked out the deal for Dickerson.

VIA http://twitter.com/Haudricourt

TStuck
08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
The more I think about this, this becomes a swap of Jim Edmonds bat for Juan Francisco's bat down the stretch. Cairo is the super sub who fills in around the infield, so Francisco is redundant. Edmonds is an experienced bat with HR power off the bench vs. a youngster with HR power, but who may not be as adept at PHing off the bench. For the outfield, it gives you Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Gomes, Nix, and Edmonds. I don't think Nix goes away. Bruce, Heisey, and Gomes remain the starters most days, but does also give the option of occasionally using an all righty or all lefty hitting outfield lineup if desired for some reason. As m entioned earlier, Edmonds becomes a veteran voice for the OFers like Rolen/Cabrera with the IFers. Edmonds has also played a few games at 1st base throughout his career, so he could be Joey's backup there so we wouldn't have to risk the C situation by using Hernandez there. This also alleviates any need to go to 3 catchers which I've heard whispers of occasionally from the broadcasters.
I'm not against this move. Dickerson was somewhat of a steep price to pay, but Edmonds could be a solid supporting piece down the stretch. He has a knack for coming up big in key situations.

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
It's kinda funny, we are all thinking Dickerson was a steep price to pay, but I best most Brewers fans are thinking "ehhh" when they hear Dickerson.

TStuck
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I agree. Anyway, with Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey, I viewed Dickerson as a 4th outfielder at best long term.
Dickerson was really only "steep" pricewise in the age differential.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I think Chris Dickerson was going to be the perpetual tease. He has some nice skills as a player, but just can't seem to stay on the field. No player helps his club all that much from the DL.

mu4103
I can't believe it either. Milwaukee got bent over. LOL.

No, I think it is a good move for both teams. Edmonds hasn't even been starting a lot recently and obviously Dickerson has potential. With the Brewers unlikely to make the playoffs and Dickerson crushing the ball in the minors, they are taking a chance on possibly a great player.

lidspinner
I will take this deal if it means Nix is, well "nixed" but I do not like sending Chris or Drew down so Laynce can keep the spot that Edmonds is supposed to fill....no need for Juan to be here for that matter either.....

I think Dickerson will turn out to be more like Mike Cameron and less like a lifer a aaaa. I just hope this does not come back to bite us in the future. Dickerson, while injury prone, has a lot of upside for an older fella, he was starting to come into his own and his defense was not horrible....I also think the Reds are really high on Stubbs and minor league OF Dave Sappelt..sp??? so maybe this trade was for the best

OpeningDay
and in 2 days he will be back to being the low .700 OPS bat with a .220 average, and a .280 OBP strictly against RH pitching.

Jonny Gomes career vs Carpenter: 0 for 7 with 5 K's
Laynce Nix career vs Carpenter: 2 for 12 with 2 K's and 1 HR

I would take someone that can at least make contact with Carpenter's pitches.

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Here are some quotes from a Brew Crew board on the trade.

"Is that all we could get for him?"
"why are we making any trade that doesn't include a pitcher ? and trading within the division ? "
"My only problem with the deal is that, like everyone has said, he provides outfield depth for next year.

But who really gives a bleep? You can pick up backup outfielders anywhere."

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/92620.aspx

GIDP
08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Jonny Gomes career vs Carpenter: 0 for 7 with 5 K's
Laynce Nix career vs Carpenter: 2 for 12 with 2 K's and 1 HR

I would take someone that can at least make contact with Carpenter's pitches.

I dont want Gomes facing Carpenter either.

Laynce Nix gets hot, but he always ends up the same terrible player who really doesnt hit RH pitching that well.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
No, I think it is a good move for both teams. Edmonds hasn't even been starting a lot recently and obviously Dickerson has potential. With the Brewers unlikely to make the playoffs and Dickerson crushing the ball in the minors, they are taking a chance on possibly a great player.

I wish Dickerson well. He seemed like a classy person to me. It may boomerang, but going down the stretch of a pennant chase I will pick Jim Edmonds eight days a week. Walt rolled the dice to a certain extent. I have no problem with that. AAA numbers can often be a mirage.

Red Forman
08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Jim bleeping Edmonds.

BB,

No Kidding!!!:eek:

I have alwayz hated this mo fo!

Well....

In Walt I trust!!!!

Chris Utz
08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
This shouldn't be about either/or anyway. Dickerson bats right and Edmonds bats left. THAT would have been a hell of a LF platoon.

Sounds good, except Dickerson bats left handed...

I think it's a good trade - vet bat/leadership for a playoff push for an at-best 5th OF on this current team who can't stay healthy.... I'll take Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Gomes with their warts for this year and next year over Dickerson any day of the week...

mu4103
08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't want to be in the Reds dugout right now. Nix, Heisey, and Stubbs wondering... ahh ... who is going to go down ... paper, rock, scissors, anyone?

Hopefully someone already told them. If its Heisey, he's gotta be like "Man, what's a guy gotta do? Get hit by 3 pitches a game?"

Caveman Techie
08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I seriously doubt that he will do anything vs. 2 crafty Aces like Carpenter and Wainwright, who must have watched him strike out hundreds of times.

Play him against the other 3, IMO.

Except that Edmonds is 3 for 9 lifetime vs. Carpenter with a walk. I have more faith in him getting a hit off of them than I would Dickerson.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
The more I think about this, this becomes a swap of Jim Edmonds bat for Juan Francisco's bat down the stretch.

I wonder if the fact that Francisco fielded a routine grounder and threw the ball halfway to Harry Caray's headstone had anything to do with this decision?

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Heisey will not go down, that is a given. To valuable off the bench and has played well as a starter of late.

Pony Boy
I will take this deal if it means Nix is, well "nixed" but I do not like sending Chris or Drew down so Laynce can keep the spot that Edmonds is supposed to fill....no need for Juan to be here for that matter either.....

I think Dickerson will turn out to be more like Mike Cameron and less like a lifer a aaaa. I just hope this does not come back to bite us in the future. Dickerson, while injury prone, has a lot of upside for an older fella, he was starting to come into his own and his defense was not horrible....I also think the Reds are really high on Stubbs and minor league OF Dave Sappelt..sp??? so maybe this trade was for the best

If Dickerson turns out like Mike Cameron this is a bad trade for the Reds. Fortunately, Dickerson is not likely to be very similar to Mike Cameron. Cameron has a much better glove, more power and has been very durable. Also, by the time Cameron was Dickerson's age he was 7 years past his major league debut and had already accumulated 5 complete MLB seasons in which he was a regular starter.

Vottomatic
Just got home. Didn't listen to the radio all day. Just read the news. I'm shocked.

I haven't read all of this thread, BUT..........I think it's a wash. Dickerson was always going to be a chronically injured 5th OFer, and the Reds are having increasing roster problems.

The few times I've seen Edmunds, he looks like he hasn't missed a beat. I think he made a nifty catch a few weeks ago too, that looked like the old Jim Edmunds.

Just my initial take on it all. The more I digest it, my opinion might change.

CySeymour
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Definately a move for this season. Dickerson is a fine centerfielder with some good on-base skills, but his ability to stay on the field made him fungible. Good move, Walt. You got some pop for an outfield that has lacked it.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Check out this fun read from STL Today. I like this guy's take:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_b821ab66-a3df-11df-8b20-0017a4a78c22.html

So this division would be a real drag without the Reds. The good news, if you appreciate competition, is that Cincinnati will only get better.

The Reds are building an imposing nucleus of blue-chip pitching talent, something DeWitt hopes to do in St. Louis. They are quickly moving ahead in the arms race.

Johnny Cueto is 11-2, Travis Wood is 3-1 (with a 2.65 ERA!), Mike Leake is 7-3 and former 17-game winner Edinson Volquez is settling back into the rotation after recovering from surgical repairs.

With Cuban refugee Aroldis Chapman hitting 103 miles per hour on the radar gun at the Triple-A level, the Reds have the best set of long-range pitching prospects in the game.

This development will allow the Reds to lock in key position players and win from 90 to 100 games for years to come – all while adhering to a mid-market budget.

That Baker currently manages the team only adds to fun. He and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa have a respectful but intense rivalry, dating back to Baker’s time in San Francisco and Chicago.

The battle is on -- and it will carry on for years to come. For that your owe the Reds some gratitude.

FlyerFanatic
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
cincinnati cardinals is the new team name ;)

texasdave
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
FanGraphs weighs in with this article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jim-edmonds-for-chris-dickerson/

The Cincinnati Reds attempted to strengthen their postseason chances by acquiring OF Jim Edmonds from the Brewers today for OF Chris Dickerson. Edmonds was apparently a decently hot commodity on the waiver wire with the lack of big bats available at the trade deadline, but the first place Reds were able to snag away a potential future Hall of Famer (*fingers crossed*) in hopes to bolster their outfield

HalMorrisRules
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
John Fay was just on ESPNews (They are really pimping tonights game this afternoon) and he said the Reds liked Dickerson but considering they have Stubbs and Heisey already on the active roster who are younger, they felt like Dickerson was an asset they could trade.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
One thing I find amazing is no one claimed Edmonds on waivers. He is making next to nothing this year, and is a free agent at the end of the year. I suppose no one wanted to remove someone off their 40 man for him since money is certainly not the issue.

Trading him for Dickerson is essentially the Reds saying they are giving up on Dickerson, and have no plans for Dickerson now or in the future. So the Reds went and got a guy that will be a FA next year which opens up a spot on the 40 man and get a guy that can help for the rest of this year.

I personally would not have given up on Dickerson, but that is how the Reds see it. Might as well get someone that can help in the mean time. If Edmonds plays LF he would be an upgrade over Gomes vs. righties. Edmonds D is no where near what it used to be, but still an improvement vs. Gomes, and should hit better.

So in the end the Reds did get better for the rest of the year, and got rid of a guy they had no future plans for. I don't agree with giving up on Dickerson, but adding Edmonds for the rest of the year should help.

PhatHead
08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
What a poor trade !! I don't understand how you give up a productive young hitter for a 3 month 40 year old rental. I have to believe that Dickerson is a better hitter than Edmonds at this stage of his career.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Given the tightness of the race in the NL Central and the wildcard, a small improvement in the performance of the team is worth an awful lot. So if Edmonds makes us just a little better he is worth Chris Dickerson, who we did not have a place for.

Caveman Techie
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Given the tightness of the race in the NL Central and the wildcard, a small improvement in the performance of the team is worth an awful lot. So if Edmonds makes us just a little better he is worth Chris Dickerson, who we did not have a place for.

Very well put. Jim Edmonds is no longer a world beater, but his is still an improvement over what we had going everyday.

Brisco
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Don't forget about Deion Sanders, who hit .423 in Louisville before being called up to fight with the Mendoza line.

On the injury prone issue... its relevant towards future, not current value. Both could get injured, but with only 2 months left, you bet against it. Where it becomes relevant is future value.

CDick's future value is hurt by his injury prone status, Edmonds' is not, since his future value is basically zero anyway.

I think the bottom line is that the Reds did not feel Dickerson would have ever been able to prove himself in the next 20 days as worthy of being on the playoff roster. He would not have received enough ABs at the major league level with the current players already there. Edmonds has nothing to prove since he has a long career and good hitting this year at the major league level already in the books.

sivman17
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I was reading gatewayredbirds, and I found this pretty funny.. and true

So the Cards have Larue, Franklin, Lopez, Lohse, Reyes, and Miles who were all former Reds. The Reds have Edmonds, Izzy, Springer, Rolen, and Cairo. I think the Reds are doing a better job of collecting former Cards then the Cards are doing in collecting ex-Reds.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe the Reds send down Francisco tonight, deal with playing with 1 back up infielder for 1 night, and then tommorrow DFA Nix and bring up Valaika.

Reds plan on getting Corky up here for september and that would open up the 40 man spot also.

GIDP
Actually it was Wood optioned.

bshall2105
Actually it was Wood optioned.

WHAT?

FlyerFanatic
08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
wood gets optioned down? WHAT? why? he was dominating

mattfeet
08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
WHAT?

WTF. You cant be serious.

-Matt

GIDP
I'm sure its part time thing. He started yesterday so he wont be needed for at least 4 more days.

Kiss the Baby00
no they are serious. im baffled and pissed

bgwilly31
08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Im happy with the Trade.

happy to see the reds actually showing they care to make THIS SEASON...THE SEASON!

Never was too impressed with dickerson. And at this point where exactly is there a spot for him on this team.

He's not going to be better than stubbs (long term), he's not going to be better than bruce..At least we hope not. And as for left field. he's no better than nix and gomes and definitely heisey.

No room.

Edmonds provides somebody who knows how to win. Plays baseball the right way. Veteran bat and veteran leadership for this pennant race!

I like it.

Griffey012
08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm sure its part time thing. He started yesterday so he wont be needed for at least 4 more days.

It is. Nothing to worry about, Wood will be back up in a few days for his next start. Kinda funny reading the "sky is falling" quotes already because Wood was sent down.

Pony Boy

Explain how this works. We can bring Wood back in 4 days to start, right? We just burn one of his options?

FlyerFanatic

ahh true. prob right

FlyerFanatic
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
@johnfayman: Francisco is packing his stuff. #reds

GIDP
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Explain how this works. We can bring Wood back in 4 days to start, right? We just burn one of his options?

the option was already burned. Its a year long option. You can send him up and down as much as you want.

He has to stay down for 10 days unless there is an injury then he can be recalled earlier.

The Reds have 2 offdays soon so they can go with only 4 starters for the time being.

At most Wood will miss 1 major league start.

swaisuc
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I'll state the obvious....

If he's used as a lefty off the bench with average defense, I can see where he's slightly better than Nix or Dickerson. If he's taking starts/ ABs away from any of the others, I hate this trade.

BTW, If true, I'm guessing Wood going down means that Bailey will take that spot in the rotation in 4/5 days and they will decide on an OF to get rid of at that time. Wood can come back in 10 days and be on the playoff roster.

TC81190
08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
@johnfayman: Francisco is packing his stuff. #reds
This transaction is now going to turn into...

Reds acquire OF Jim Edmonds for OF Chris Dickerson, option LHP Travis Wood and IF Juan Francisco to AAA Louisville, recall LHP Aroldis Chapman.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
the option was already burned. Its a year long option. You can send him up and down as much as you want.

He has to stay down for 10 days unless there is an injury then he can be recalled earlier.

The Reds have 2 offdays soon so they can go with only 4 starters for the time being.

At most Wood will miss 1 major league start.

Why would we want Wood to miss his next start? I hope that the report that it is Wood is incorrect and that the report that it is El Nino Destructor is correct.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

If he's used as a lefty off the bench with average defense, I can see where he's slightly better than Nix or Dickerson. If he's taking starts/ ABs away from any of the others, I hate this trade.

Edmonds is now our best outfielder other than maybe Heisey. At the very least he should be platooning with Gomes and starting against every righty.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Why would we want Wood to miss his next start? I hope that the report that it is Wood is incorrect and that the report that it is El Nino Destructor is correct.

Maybe they want to buy some time with Nix until after hte Cardinals series.

Caveman Techie
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

BTW, If true, I'm guessing Wood going down means that Bailey will take that spot in the rotation in 4/5 days and they will decide on an OF to get rid of at that time. Wood can come back in 10 days and be on the playoff roster.

Why? He has better numbers than any of our current outfielders against RHP, why wouldn't you put him in a platoon with someone? It just makes sense.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Edmonds is now our best outfielder other than maybe Heisey. At the very least he should be platooning with Gomes and starting against every righty.

I wouldnt go that far to suggest hes the best reds OFer rofl. He will be a very good LH bat to use against RH pitchers. They certainly lacked that type of player off their bench.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Limit his innings. He already is approaching 150 innings (149 to be exact). He pitched 167 last year. They are probably looking at a 185-190 max for him. That means he has about 35-40 innings left in him, or about 6 more starts. There are more than 6 starts left the rest of the season.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I wouldnt go that far to suggest hes the best reds OFer rofl. He will be a very good LH bat to use against RH pitchers. They certainly lacked that type of player off their bench.

You don't think that Edmond's line of .286/.350/.493 while playing half of his games at a below average hitters park means that he is better than Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs and Nix in 2010? I do.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
You don't think that Edmond's line of .286/.350/.493 while playing half of his games at a below average hitters park means that he is better than Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs and Nix in 2010? I do.

Thats basically only been against RH pitching, and Miller Park isnt a below average hitters park.

Edmonds is a good player to pick up, and hes better than Gomes, and Nix for sure, but if he was given playing time against both LH and RH he wouldnt be better than Bruce and he might be comparable to Stubbs.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I just read the entire thread, and there is a ton of overreacting.

Dickerson is a 4th or 5th OFer AT BEST. Sheesh. You honestly think management and/or Dusty would sit Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey or Gomes to play Dickerson full time????? Give me a break.

And those people citing Dickerson's hot run in his triple A rehab need to remember...............IT'S TRIPLE A. Volquez looked like Cy Young on his rehab stint. Bailey looks like Cy Young right now on his rehab stint. Lots of guys look like Ted Williams and Cliff Lee at triple A.

I imagine if Heisey and Stubbs went to triple A right now, the balls pitched would look 3 times the size as the ones they see in the majors. It's triple A.

Okay, here's a little stirring the pot sarcasm/humor to rap it all up:
It's not going to matter much anyway when Votto moves to Left Field in the off season! Hehehe. :D

JohnCocktoasten
08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Leake pitches tonight. Gets optioned out tomorrow, with Aroldis Chapman being re-called. When the Reds need another 5th starter, either Bailey returns from the DL.

That's my guess what happens.

bshall2105
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Leake pitches tonight. Gets optioned out tomorrow, with Aroldis Chapman being re-called. When the Reds need another 5th starter, either Bailey returns from the DL.

That's my guess what happens.

Thanks John Fay.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
“I think Dusty (Baker) will use him some in center field, some in right field. He can give Joey (Votto) a day off at first if we need that. He also gives us another good pinch-hitter.”

Uh oh. Zero mention of him playing LF. This is going to be a very big issue if they got edmonds to basically bench bruce stubbs and heisey more.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Thats basically only been against RH pitching, and Miller Park isnt a below average hitters park.

Edmonds is a good player to pick up, and hes better than Gomes, and Nix for sure, but if he was given playing time against both LH and RH he wouldnt be better than Bruce and he might be comparable to Stubbs.

Miller Park is ranked 18th out of 30 in Park Factor this season.

You have a point about him batting mostly against righties this season, but its not like he has been in a complete platoon. 25% of his ABs have come against lefties this season.

sivman17
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I really thought they would bring him in primarily to play LF. I really don't want him starting in CF over Heisey. That's lame.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I really thought they would bring him in primarily to play LF. I really don't want him starting in CF over Heisey. That's lame.

Yea the love that Nix and Gomes get from this front office scares me. Maybe it was just a slip and he meant LF but to suggest he brought in Edmonds to bench Heisey, Bruce and Stubbs and make no mention of Gomes is very telling if in fact what he meant.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm fine with this trade, but I hope it doesn't mess up team chemistry. 6 outfielders seems like a problem to me.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Miller Park is ranked 18th out of 30 in Park Factor this season.

You have a point about him batting mostly against righties this season, but its not like he has been in a complete platoon. 25% of his ABs have come against lefties this season.

That is just below league average. Pretty much every player bats against mostly right handed pitchers.

malcontent
08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I really liked Dickerson, and was hoping Stubbs would go down and CD would be the CF vs. righties and hit 1 or 2 in the lineup.

Hell of a CF, IMO. Could fly on the bases, too.

Hopefully, Heisey or possibly Felix Perez will be there in 2011/2012 if Stubbs completely tanks.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm fine with this trade, but I hope it doesn't mess up team chemistry. 6 outfielders seems like a problem to me.

As long as one of the outfielders isn't Willy Taveras it's cool.

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Excellent Trade.

Dickerson is a fourth outfielder, maybe a starter for a bad team, but not for this team. He's also stuck behind younger players, who are the future. Guys like Heisey, Stubbs, and Bruce, are all ahead Chris on the depth chart in the OF. I like Dickerson, he's going to have some decent seasons in MLB, but he was an extra part.

In Edmonds you bring in a power bat that can play all 3 outfield positions. He's still an above average defender and he can still swing the bat. Sure he's 40 but you didn't give up to much to get him. This is a trade for this year, that really isn't going to hurt the team that much in the future. Its the kind of trade you make 100 times out of 100 when your in a race.

sivman17
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I think it was a very good trade for both sides. If healthy, Dickerson could be an everyday OF for the Brewers for a long time. Buuut, that's a big if.

Red in Atl
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
The future outfield is Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce...there is no Dickerson in that line. He's old, injury prone, and at this point in time, a decision really needed to be made about his future.

I think we are just lucky that the Brewers wanted him that bad. Being able to trade someone who has no value to you for someone who does, is quite rare. Edmonds (who I've hated for years) brings a great talent, leader and veteran to a young outfield searching for some stability.

Great move by Uncle Walt. Bring in a bat who wants to beat the Cards as much as Walt does. And the board freaks because we had to give up Dickerson? The number of folks on here who think you can trade crap for gold is unbelievable.

Hondo
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Golly Gee! Hey Jeff Keppinger-Chris Dickerson Man Crushers!

Thats all your "player" brought was 40 year old Jim Edmonds!!!! HA HA

I thought he should have been starting in center for the Reds...

THis would have been a great trade 11 years ago Edmonds for Chad Mottola...

I think this is more just a bench bat, vetran presence...

I however on a serious note hope this Reds team is not becoming St.Louis NORTH via Walt...

I really dislike the Cardinals except for Stan Musial and Jack Clark.

arkimadee
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
that lineup sure looks pretty with Edmonds' name on it..

berryluther
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
“I think Dusty (Baker) will use him some in center field, some in right field. He can give Joey (Votto) a day off at first if we need that. He also gives us another good pinch-hitter.”

Uh oh. Zero mention of him playing LF. This is going to be a very big issue if they got edmonds to basically bench bruce stubbs and heisey more.

Maybe just maybe Heisey moves to left?

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM

6 outfielders is temporary. When 5 starting pitchers is needed again one of the outfielders will have to go.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I could care less about losing Dickerson,

But
Edmonds in CF?
Edmonds taking ABs from Heisey?

I've Take Stubbs, Heisey, or Bruce's defense over a 40 year old Edmonds every day and twice on Sunday

Reds
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Basically after digesting this it'll mean that Dusty can continue to mix and match lineups based on numbers, it adds flexibility in that regard. I don't think Jimmy is going to play any position too much or too little.

Let's also remember Jimmy can play first, and probably better than Hernandez (plus now you can rest him/save a catcher).

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
6 outfielders is temporary. When 5 starting pitchers is needed again one of the outfielders will have to go.

Who?

Heisey is hot and has been all season
Gomes has no options (they will not release him)
Stubbs is hitting again and can go get any ball hit to CF
Bruce is hitting again and has a good to great arm
No one is hotter than Nix off the bench right now

GIDP
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Nix is easily the odd man out. He brings nothing to this table thats better than any of the other outfielders. Nothing. Not a single thing. He might be better than one of them in some situation but he is 3rd on the depth chart no matter the tool.

1990REDS
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Nix will stay up for his little hot streak ( which should only last a couple more games) then its see ya later.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Who?

Heisey is hot and has been all season
Gomes has no options (they will not release him)
Stubbs is hitting again and can go get any ball hit to CF
Bruce is hitting again and has a good to great arm
No one is hotter than Nix off the bench right now

1 game does not mean Stubbs is hitting again.
Nix may be better recently, but he is what he is...a poor OBP guy, above average fielder, and ok power.

Personally I bet Stubbs gets sent down. Nix is still under contract for a while and could be a decent backup for a few years.

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Nix is easily the odd man out. He brings nothing to this table thats better than any of the other outfielders. Nothing. Not a single thing. He might be better than one of them in some situation but he is 3rd on the depth chart no matter the tool.

He might be the odd man out but "Not a Single Thing." Hyperbole is fun, but Nix is basically Dickerson with more power and less patience. Calling him completely worthless is a bit harsh. Guys a decent 4th, 5th outfielder type with some pop.

Reds
08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
I believe Nix fields better than Gomes, that's where I'd give him the edge. With that said he's not a better defender than Heisey, Bruce, or Stubbs tho.

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
delete this mods

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I believe Nix fields better than Gomes, that's where I'd give him the edge. With that said he's not a better defender than Heisey, Bruce, or Stubbs tho.

No but he's a good defender nonetheless. UZR/150 of 12.2 last year, this year is even more positive but its a way small sample size.

Nix is and underrated player around these parts. I don't like his hacking nature but he's got some pop and is an excellent fielder in the corners. I don't have a problem with him going though.

bgwilly31
i say we send bruce down. :alien:

Reds
Well one of these teams also wanted (put in a claim for) Edmonds:

Atlanta
San Diego
Any AL squad

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Well one of these teams also wanted (put in a claim for) Edmonds:

Atlanta
San Diego
Any AL squad

Probably San Diego. Tony Gwynn Jr is awful.

Reds
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Some good quote excerpts:

"It seems like a good group of guys who are really talented. It’s nice be on this side for once....I love hitting in this park — great fans, great city."

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM

"great fans"

Even your #1 fan of all time Jim!

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/grande_george.jpg

1990REDS
08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
sorry but im not familiar with this edmonds, grande background story. anyone care to humor me and explain it.

mlh1981
08-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I like it.

Maybe he can pass along some secrets on how to his Chris Carpenter :beerme:

Reds
08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
sorry but im not familiar with this edmonds, grande background story. anyone care to humor me and explain it.

He just always talked about his defense and how much he liked his veteran leadership.

I like this best of grande video, if anyone cares. YouTube - ‪The Best of George Grande‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO_O1zxFGho)

couch_manager
08-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Grande always praised him whenever he came to bat against the Reds. He also got VERY excited when Edmonds robbed us of homeruns. Mancrush. :luvu:

mlh1981
08-09-2010, 07:19 PM
and we were always reminded about what a great guy Pujols is, and how wonderful the Cardinals fans are.

Reds
08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
“This is a move to help us win now,” Walt Jocketty said. “Dickerson’s had a career with us that’s been back and forth — with a number of injuries. We feel like we’ve got guys who have moved ahead of him — younger guys. Short-term we thought this was best thing.” -jfay

GIDP
08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
He might be the odd man out but "Not a Single Thing." Hyperbole is fun, but Nix is basically Dickerson with more power and less patience. Calling him completely worthless is a bit harsh. Guys a decent 4th, 5th outfielder type with some pop.

Please tell me where he has something another reds OF doesnt offer more of.

Stubbs, Heisey and Bruce are all better defenders
Bruce Heisey Gomes and Edmonds are all better hitters, and Stubbs might barely be worse
He doesnt hit RH pitching enough to justify keeping him around when you have Edmonds, and Bruce.

Really dont see where hes anything more than the 6th OFer on this roster.

BurgervilleBuck
08-09-2010, 07:42 PM
In Walt I trust!!!!
Ditto. So long as it keeps Edmonds from scoring against us or taking away home runs, I'm happy with this trade. :)

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Bruce Heisey Gomes and Edmonds are all better hitters, and Stubbs might barely be worse
He doesnt hit RH pitching enough to justify keeping him around when you have Edmonds, and Bruce.

I thought you didn't like this trade. I thought I read at the beginning of this thread that you were mad?

Anyway. I agree with your above points.

Dickerson had some speed. But Stubbs has more and Heisey isn't slow.
Dickerson was no better hitter overall than anyone we got in the outfield.
Dickerson had the least power of any of them.
Dickerson is no better defensively than Stubbs, Bruce or Heisey, and maybe even Nix.
Dickerson's primary position was CF, which Stubbs and Heisey can man.

I don't see where Dickerson was one of our best OFers.

I know injuries can't be helped, but players do get labeled as "injury-prone", and Dickerson had that label. If they can't stay healthy, what good are they to you? Good lesson for other players who feel the need to take off for little injuries (not that Dickerson's were little). You never know who could take your place.

Lockdwn11
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I was ok with this trade as long as Dusty played Edmonds in left some and right a little but doesnt start Edmonds in center then I look and see he is starting in... you guessed it Center

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 08:01 PM

If you'd read my post, I'm not saying he's one of the Reds best OF options now.

All I'm saying is he's not the worthless piece of crap that you describe him as.

I don't have a problem with him staying or going either way.

George Foster
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
How would you feel if you were Stubbs?? He got dumped at the Prom in front of the entire baseball nation. However the Reds gave him a chance and he could not get it done offensively....maybe next year. Now is not the time to develop. Now is time to win. Edmonds has plenty of play-off run experience and can help this team. I LOVE this trade.

GIDP
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
If you'd read my post, I'm not saying he's one of the Reds best OF options now.

All I'm saying is he's not the worthless piece of crap that you describe him as.

I don't have a problem with him staying or going either way.

I just dont see the purpose of him. He's never been better than a 5th OF and now hes at best the 6th. To keep him on the roster over a back up infielder really serves no purpose other than Dusty wants him to go up and get out as often as he possibly can.

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I just dont see the purpose of him. He's never been better than a 5th OF and now hes at best the 6th. To keep him on the roster over a back up infielder really serves no purpose other than Dusty wants him to go up and get out as often as he possibly can.

Sure he's redundant now, I doubt he'll last a week from now anyway.

They seem to want a ton of left handed options for this series.

But he's not a worthless player.

Magdal
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
This will be the last inning rfor Carp.

zjr1717
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Fangraphs article on the Edmonds-Dickerson trade (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jim-edmonds-for-chris-dickerson/)

mu4103
08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Fangraphs article on the Edmonds-Dickerson trade (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jim-edmonds-for-chris-dickerson/)

“Like Laynce,” said Baker. “He is swinging better than anybody we got, except maybe Joey Votto, so that’s why he’s playing (in left field in place of Jonny Gomes). And it gives me some options late in the game - pinch-hitting or better defense.”

Am I missing something, Nix has 2 hits in August (3 starts) or 3 hits w/ 4 starts if you count today. What is Dusty smoking? Chris Heisey, Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips ... I really don't know who is swinging the bat worse than Nix?

texasdave
08-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Simple Bakermetrics. Laynce Nix is not clogging up the bases. Good job, dude.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Nix is hitting the ball hard. Just right at people. But he's hitting it hard.

Edmonds paid big dividends for us tonight.

davereds24
08-10-2010, 12:52 AM
“Like Laynce,” said Baker. “He is swinging better than anybody we got, except maybe Joey Votto, so that’s why he’s playing (in left field in place of Jonny Gomes). And it gives me some options late in the game - pinch-hitting or better defense.”

Am I missing something, Nix has 2 hits in August (3 starts) or 3 hits w/ 4 starts if you count today. What is Dusty smoking? Chris Heisey, Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips ... I really don't know who is swinging the bat worse than Nix?

Nix has been on fire since the all star break, what games are you watching?

flash
08-10-2010, 01:56 AM
I can understand why this trade was made, but I can't understand the circumstances the made the trade almost predictable.

Almost two years agoDickerson came to the Redsalong with Hannigan and had a very productive September. it was assumed that he would be starting in center last year when lo and behold the Reds sign Taveras. It was a dubious signing to be sure, and Taveras played down to many of the expectations while Dickerson either sat on the bench or played left field, a position that is to say the least unsuitable for left handers.

After finally getting his chance in center he did start to shine. Then disaster hit. The separated his shoulder going over the wall to make a catch. (I don't remeber if he caught it or not) All of a sudden he is injury prone. I don't recall the same call being made when Bruce broke his wrist. He lost his job to Stubbs, who although did not have nearly as good of September as Dickerson the year before. Give himcredit though, he did hit a few home runs which suddenly made him very valuable. And Dickerson lost his job. He did a good job in spring training, better than Stubbs as a matter of fact. He said he wanted his job back and played like he wanted it. For some on this board saying you want to play is a heresy Though. Then as Stubbs stumbled coming out of the gate Dickerson seemed poised to take over. He did hit well the first couple of weeks then his average nose dived. It turned out he was playing with a broken wrist. So he is injury prone and a whiner. He should have played through the pain.

I will admit it. I don't like Stubbs. He had one good month in his entire minor league career, but on the whole had been mediocre. He really stunck up the fall league in Arizona. He hit a few home runs and suddenly he is great. I really felt he was overmatched at the plate, and he proved me right losing his lead-off job fast. Now he is in the midst of his second big time slump. He did have a good game against the Cubs, one of the few clubs he can hit.

It is apparent Dusty and the brass did not like Dickerson although I don't know why. I really hope this works out, but I am worried. Reds fans will see a lot of Dickerson. The Reds play the Brewers 9 more times this year and end the season in Milwalkee. After the Cardinal series that will be 20 percent of the remaining schedule.

This trade could be a big time backfire.

On another note, since the allstar break the Reds has signed a 42 year old pitcher who already is injured, but not on the DL, a 38 year old pitcher who is now at Louisville and traded for a 40 year old outfielder. That has me scratching my head.

mu4103
08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Nix has been on fire since the all star break, what games are you watching?

28 AB since the all star break
.428 Avg., 4 runs, 3 RBI, 0 homeruns

13 AB in August
.231 Avg., 3 runs, 1 RBI, 0 homeruns

Jonny Gomes in August:
20 AB, .350 avg., 7 runs, 1 RBI, 0 homeruns

Nix has had a prettty good run after the all-star break until August. But that is quite a big compliment from Dusty. Really Nix has only had more than 1 hit in a game twice since the All-Star break. I don't see all the games, so maybe he is doing better than I thought. I only can see the box score because of where I live. Still though - I don't think he is hitting better than Heisey, Rolen, or Phillips.

mu4103
08-10-2010, 02:24 AM
No doubt though that if Gomes and Edmonds split time in left, this trade would have no downside. The L/R splits that Gomes and Edmonds have could go a long way if platooned. A .300 BA and .380 OBP is not out of the question and both have a little pop. It turns a weakness into a strength.

zjr1717
08-10-2010, 03:53 AM
No doubt though that if Gomes and Edmonds split time in left, this trade would have no downside. The L/R splits that Gomes and Edmonds have could go a long way if platooned. A .300 BA and .380 OBP is not out of the question and both have a little pop. It turns a weakness into a strength.

I'm not sure they'll go that route but I agree that its the best option. Edmonds is a plus defender in left as well so the fact that he helps make up for Johnny's terrible defense makes it even better.

swaisuc
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Nix will stay up for his little hot streak ( which should only last a couple more games) then its see ya later.

We're almost to September at that point though. Even if he cools off by the end of the week, the choice would be between releasing/trading him or holding onto him 2 more weeks until rosters expand.

Tough calls.

swaisuc
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Why? He has better numbers than any of our current outfielders against RHP, why wouldn't you put him in a platoon with someone? It just makes sense.

His numbers are nowhere near better than Heisey against RHP. And before you argue sample size, remember that you're trying to use 177 ABs in the last 2 years to decide Edmonds can still hit RHP.

To answer your question of why I wouldn't. I simply don't like platoons where the worse player gets the majority of the playing time. Obviously, we face way more right-handers the rest of the way than left. A platoon with Gomes would at least make some logical sense in terms of splits, but I'm not convinced that is the platoon we would see.

Indianscout
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I was seated in the third row over the Card's dugout last night and thought wow what a weird juxtaposition Edmonds in center, Rolens on third and all those Redbirds peering out of their dugout like gee we have just been annexed. I love it. Brilliant move.

Hondo
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
The guys on ESPN's game last night (Boone and Nomarrrr) said that with Heisey, Stubbs, and Bruce... They thought that having Edmonds on the team to spell those guys would be beneficial in more than just an extra OF'er. They said that since CH, DS, and JB are sooooo young, just having Jim Edmonds on the team would rub off on the younger players helping them during this time in their young careers...

I still don't like Edmonds.

Reds
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
The guys on ESPN's game last night (Boone and Nomarrrr) said that with Heisey, Stubbs, and Bruce... They thought that having Edmonds on the team to spell those guys would be beneficial in more than just an extra OF'er. They said that since CH, DS, and JB are sooooo young, just having Jim Edmonds on the team would rub off on the younger players helping them during this time in their young careers...

Boone also said Stubbs was a "future star that would play in mid-summer classics" my jaw dropped. I hope he's right, but Stubbs an all-star? I have my doubts.

LeDoux
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Edmonds helps in the clubhouse in times like now. After a series sweep by your rivals, I think the 40-year-old Edmonds could help give some perspective.

Hondo
08-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Boone also said Stubbs was a "future star that would play in mid-summer classics" my jaw dropped. I hope he's right, but Stubbs an all-star? I have my doubts.

I think Stubbs was a stretch where this team picked him... They could have had Lincecum, but oh well....

I think Stubbs could be a 30/30 guy but he is going to need help and protection... Right now he K's too often.