PDA

View Full Version : Travis Wood to AAA to make room for Edmonds

It8ifyifitsgrif
08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
according to Mark Shelton on Twitter

m_sheldon

Travis Wood optioned to Triple-A Louisville to make room for Edmonds. #reds

m_sheldon

With two off days upcoming, #reds don't need 5 starters it appears. We will learn more soon.

Biff Pocoroba
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
hmmm, might they consider bringing him back up immediately after tonight's game and send Leake down? Hard to remove Wood from the rotation the way he is pitching and Leake is the bigger concern in terms of innings pitched, right?

It8ifyifitsgrif
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Have to wait 10 days before recalling him (outside of a player being DL'd)

Biff Pocoroba
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
actually, Fay just tweated that Francisco is packing his stuff. That would make more intuitive sense to me anyway.

sivman17
08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Wood and Frisco are going to AAA. I'm guessing Bailey or Chapman is on their way up.

redsfan_12
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Get Aroldis here now!

Biff Pocoroba
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Fay's twitter updated - just Wood, Francisco staying.

davereds24
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Ridiculous. They should have made the Edmonds move after tonight and sent Leake down.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
It's pure hell having too much talent in this organization. I long for the days of Jimmy Haynes, Eric Milton, and the revolving door of not ready for primetime starters and bullpen help from triple A. And the days of Chris Denorfia, and other wanna-be major league players. (I know Denorfia is still playing in the major leagues for San Diego, I think..........but how he remains in mlb is a mystery to me)

malcontent
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Fay's twitter updated - just Wood, Francisco staying.
Wow. Reds are no longer playing a man short; now they've got a 6-man bench.

This series is looming bigger (for the FO) by the minute.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Edmunds just showed up and gave a clubhouse speech about how he hates Larussa and wants to win this series badly. The whole team went bonkers and tore up the locker room. Votto hurt his wrist and Rolen hurt his hammy in the fraucaus. Phillips got kicked on his bruise. All three are out for tonight's game. :D

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I am not crazy about either move today but, every time I question WJ I end up looking foolish, so I will shut my pie hole.

BTW - FWIW, I was one of the staunchest defenders of the Rolen Trade. I have, however, questioned several of WJ's other moves. Hope Edmonds can have the same type of effect on the clubhouse that Rolen has.

defender
08-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow. Reds are no longer playing a man short; now they've got a 6-man bench.

This series is looming bigger (for the FO) by the minute.

I think it is a great move to have an extra bat on the bench for this series. They could not have used Wood any way.

Vottomatic
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I am not crazy about either move today but, every time I question WJ I end up looking foolish, so I will shut my pie hole.

BTW - FWIW, I was one of the staunchest defenders of the Rolen Trade. I have, however, questioned several of WJ's other moves. Hope Edmonds can have the same type of effect on the clubhouse that Rolen has.

Me too. I looked really stupid when they signed Corey Patterson and then Willy Tavares. I thought those were terrible signings at the time.

The Mike Lincoln move made me looked really pathetic. I thought he'd be bad.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Ridiculous. They should have made the Edmonds move after tonight and sent Leake down.

What does it matter? Wood only has about 35-40 innings left before he is shut down anyway. You need to skip him at some point, or shut him down early. Right now it makes sense to skip him.

Red in Atl
08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Edmunds just showed up and gave a clubhouse speech about how he hates Larussa and wants to win this series badly. The whole team went bonkers and tore up the locker room. Votto hurt his wrist and Rolen hurt his hammy in the fraucaus. Phillips got kicked on his bruise. All three are out for tonight's game. :D

AWESOME!:D

davereds24
08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
What does it matter? Wood only has about 35-40 innings left before he is shut down anyway. You need to skip him at some point, or shut him down early. Right now it makes sense to skip him.

I'd say Wood has 50-60 left, Leake is closer. Either way, it's because Wood is the team's best pitcher and skipping a start could mean losing the division.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd say Wood has 50-60 left, Leake is closer. Either way, it's because Wood is the team's best pitcher and skipping a start could mean losing the division.

You expect Wood to pitch over 200 innings?

His previous max is 167. That is a big jump.

Reds
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Smart move, the bench is straight stacked now.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Not the move I would have made (would have sent leake down to rest for 10 days), but don't have a problem with it. This keeps the bench deep for a big series. Hopefully Wood gets his side work in at Louisville but doesn't pitch in a game, and comes back in 10 days.

Reds
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Not the move I would have made (would have sent leake down to rest for 10 days), but don't have a problem with it. This keeps the bench deep for a big series. Hopefully Wood gets his side work in at Louisville but doesn't pitch in a game, and comes back in 10 days.

He will start down in AAA once, and then they've moved him back a day (not sure who were facing, have not looked it up) .

The Reds optioned Travis Wood to Triple A. With the off days, he was not going to start over the next 10 days.

He will make one start at Louisville.

“He didn’t do anything to get sent down,” Dusty Baker said. “He wasn’t slated to pitch until Aug. 18. He’ll pitch on the 19th.”

-jfay

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
He will start down in AAA once, and then they've moved him back a day (not sure who were facing, have not looked it up) .

Hopefully he only throws about 60-70 pitches, just enough to keep rust from forming.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Hopefully he only throws about 60-70 pitches, just enough to keep rust from forming.

If that. Now sure why he has to start in Louisville unless it's a fairly low pitch count. He is on pace for about 220 innings this year.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
If that. Now sure why he has to start in Louisville unless it's a fairly low pitch count. He is on pace for about 220 innings this year.

I doubt the Reds are as worried about handling Wood with kid gloves as they are Leake. Mainly because he's been pitching professionally since 05 now, they're probably more concerned with him keeping his rhythm etc. by getting his starts in. Personally, I'm concerned about his innings count, but not alarmed.

Reds
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm not concerned about his innings, after all, Harang will be back in 2-3 weeks ;)

Hondo
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Wouldnt ya rather have Wood make another start at the ML Level than 1 start at AAA or is he just going to throw a simulated game?

scott91575
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I doubt the Reds are as worried about handling Wood with kid gloves as they are Leake. Mainly because he's been pitching professionally since 05 now, they're probably more concerned with him keeping his rhythm etc. by getting his starts in. Personally, I'm concerned about his innings count, but not alarmed.

167 to 220 is still a big jump even if he has been pitching for a while. Previous to his 167 year his max was 140. Around 30 innings is a more reasonable jump in innings for a young pitcher who has never pitched anywhere near 200 for a year.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
167 to 220 is still a big jump even if he has been pitching for a while. Previous to his 167 year his max was 140. Around 30 innings is a more reasonable jump in innings for a young pitcher who has never pitched anywhere near 200 for a year.

It is, but its a pennant race and the Reds have to be concerned with winning that as well. Balancing Wood's innings count with the need to get to the playoffs is a tricky thing. Its a jump, but not a ridiculous one. I wish the Reds would just rest him while he is at AAA, but their not, and thats their decision.

Like I said, I'm concerned with his innings count, but I'm, and hopefully the Reds, are more concerned with getting to the playoffs. They'll need innings from Wood to get there IMO.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
It is, but its a pennant race and the Reds have to be concerned with winning that as well. Balancing Wood's innings count with the need to get to the playoffs is a tricky thing. Its a jump, but not a ridiculous one. I wish the Reds would just rest him while he is at AAA, but their not, and thats their decision.

Like I said, I'm concerned with his innings count, but I'm, and hopefully the Reds, are more concerned with getting to the playoffs. They'll need innings from Wood to get there IMO.

Ask the Cub fans how they think about that move now (Prior had the same exact innings as Wood in his previous year, and then pitched 211).

Given, Prior was more of a power pitcher. Yet a 50 inning jump over his previous high is a big jump for any pitcher.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Ask the Cub fans how they think about that move now.

Given, Prior was more of a power pitcher. Yet a 50 inning jump over his previous high is a big jump for any pitcher.

I tend to believe that Prior's mechanics doomed him from the beginning, but that's just me.

And Travis Wood is not of the level of Mark Prior, in importance or ability.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
And Travis Wood is not of the level of Mark Prior, in importance or ability.

Even more of a reason to not risk it.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Even more of a reason to not risk it.

Huh?

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Huh?

Well, if he is not as good as Prior you don't need him as bad down the stretch. Skipping him a couple of times during off days means you are replacing his start with Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Harang, or Bailey (ends up a combo of all of the above). Say they average out to a 4 ERA vs. Wood's 2.5. That is about 1 run in a couple of games.

So you want to risk Wood's arm for a couple of runs?

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Well, if he is not as good as Prior you don't need him as bad down the stretch. Skipping him a couple of times during off days means you are replacing his start with Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Harang, or Bailey. Say they average out to a 4 ERA vs. Wood's 2.5. That is about 1 run in a couple of games.

So you want to risk Wood's arm for a couple of runs?

I don't think that its such a big risk that its worth running Harang or Bailey out there. I'm not a Harang hater, and Bailey has his moments, but I want the best 5 pitching down the stretch. A 4 ERA is not what Harang and Bailey have averaged this year or last. And 1 run, if it is that, could be the difference between winning a game or not.

Just ask the 99 Reds about not winning that extra game.

Leake is the guy who needs to be skipped and replaced by Harang or Bailey if need be, not Wood.

DocRed
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
If Woods pitches a game in the minors and burns more innings down there for nothing this will be the BONEHEAD move of the century.

Trace's Daddy
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I understand the logic of sending Wood to AAA, but couldn't Cordero use some AAA time?:D

scott91575
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't think that its such a big risk that its worth running Harang or Bailey out there. I'm not a Harang hater, and Bailey has his moments, but I want the best 5 pitching down the stretch.

Leake is the guy who needs to be skipped and replaced by Harang or Bailey if need be, not Wood.

You cannot just state it's Bailey or Harang taking his starts. With skipping starts you have to look at the end of the year. Each skipped start adds a start to another starter. I don't know who is planned as the last day starter right now, but you can't just say one guy is taking his starts. You need to add up multiple pitchers who are each gaining an extra start by moving up the rotation. Hence why I used the whole staff and just averaged it out.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
You cannot just state it's Bailey or Harang taking his starts. With skipping starts you have to look at the end of the year. Each skipped start adds a start to another starter. I don't know who is planned as the last day starter right now, but you can't just say one guy is taking his starts. You need to add up multiple pitchers who are each gaining an extra start by moving up the rotation. Hence why I used the whole staff and just averaged it out.

No

If you take Wood out of the rotation, and replace him with Harang or Bailey...

Your replacing Wood with Harang or Bailey, sure it might be the 5th spot, or it might not be. Skipping starts or whatever, your still replacing Wood with Harang or Bailey, because they're taking the games he would have started.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
No

If you take Wood out of the rotation, and replace him with Harang or Bailey...

Your replacing Wood with Harang or Bailey, sure it might be the 5th spot, or it might not be. Skipping starts or whatever, your still replacing Wood with Harang or Bailey, because they're taking the games he would have started.

You don't get it, do you? If you don't skip Wood and start him instead, everyone else moves back a day. That moves that last guy of the season out of the rotation. You are not replacing him. What about that don't you get?

BTW...per Fay....

Wood was scheduled to pitch next on that 18th. He'll start the 19th instead. They have 3 off days coming up. His IP are a concern. #reds

If you do not skip him now you as assuring that Harang or Bailey is taking his spot. He is going to be shut down no matter what. So you might as well sit him on an off day instead of waiting until later when you are forced to actually replace his start with a guy like Bailey or Harang instead of moving up the rotation a spot after an off day.

If you skip Leake this Thrusday you have to send down someone, and then you cannot use them for 10 days. Since you need to skip a Wood start at some point might as well do it now when it makes sense.

If you don't understand all of that, I can't help you.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
You don't get it, do you? If you don't skip Wood and start him instead, everyone else moves back a day. That moves that last guy of the season out of the rotation. You are not replacing him. What about that don't you get?

BTW...per Fay....

If you do not skip him now you as assuring that Harang or Bailey is taking his spot. He is going to be shut down no matter what. So you might as well sit him on an off day instead of waiting until later when you are forced to actually replace his start with a guy like Bailey or Harang instead of moving up the rotation a spot after an off day.

If you skip Leake this Thrusday you have to send down someone, and then you cannot use them for 10 days. Since you need to skip a Wood start at some point might as well do it now when it makes sense.

If you don't understand all of that, I can't help you.

Im not talking about this start, and I'm not talking about his start on the 19th.

I had no problem sending him down, just would have preferred Leake. Im talking about his starts in September, and who takes those, you gotta read posts man.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Im not talking about this start, and I'm not talking about his start on the 19th.

I had no problem sending him down, just would have preferred Leake. Im talking about his starts in September, and who takes those, you gotta read posts man.

and like I stated, you can't send down Leake since he is starting today. Who pitches today?

For every time you skip Wood you get to use him more in September.

I have read your posts. They make no sense. If Leake had started yesterday then yeah, you send him down instead. You are going to skip Leake and Wood throughout the next two months. Wood makes sense since he just pitched.

Of course the way Leake is pitching right now you might as well call up Bailey and send down Leake for the rest of the season.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
and like I stated, you can't send down Leake since he is starting today. Who pitches today?

For every time you skip Wood you get to use him more in September.

I have read your posts. They make no sense. If Leake had started yesterday then yeah, you send him down instead. You are going to skip Leake and Wood throughout the next two months. Wood makes sense since he just pitched.

Of course the way Leake is pitching right now you might as well call up Bailey and send down Leake for the rest of the season.

You just answered you own question about who starts today if Leake goes down. Bailey can start today and be moved to the pen or back down in 10 days, doesn't matter.

I would just like to see the best 5 starting down the stretch, I don't care that they are skipping Wood this turn, as I've said. I just don't want to see him replaced by Bailey or Harang permanently down the stretch, after his next start, because of 10-20 innings.

I'm done with this.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
You just answered you own question about who starts today if Leake goes down.

So you wanted Bailey on 3 days rest? Then that has NOTHING to do with Wood being sent down. That is replacing Wood with Bailey, and you still need to send someone down.

Like I have said, you are making no sense. Replacing Leake with Bailey does not change anything with regards to opening up a spot on the 25 man.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
So you wanted Bailey on 3 days rest? Then that has NOTHING to do with Wood being sent down. That is replacing Wood with Bailey, and you still need to send someone down.

Like I have said, you are making no sense. Replacing Leake with Bailey does not change anything with regards to opening up a spot on the 25 man.

Like I said, no problem with Wood going down for a start. My original problem was with him starting AT ALL in AAA. I don't want him replaced DOWN THE ROAD with Harang or Bailey, becaue of IP restrictions.

If they sent Leake down, they could have started Cueto tonight on normal rest, and had Bailey go tomorrow on his normal rest.

Once again, I'm done with this.

ThornWithin81
08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't know why we send Wood down with Leake struggling so mightily... I'll just try to trust Walt on this one.

texasdave
08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
And like I stated, you can't send down Leake since he is starting today. Who pitches today?

Since there was an off day on Thursday Cueto could have started today. It would have been his regular turn with no off days.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Since there was an off day on Thursday Cueto could have started today. It would have been his regular turn with no off days.

I just realized that before I saw this and edited my post to say it.

Thank you.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Like I said, no problem with Wood going down for a start. My original problem was with him starting AT ALL in AAA. I don't want him replaced DOWN THE ROAD with Harang or Bailey, becaue of IP restrictions.

If they sent Leake down, they could have started Cueto tonight on normal rest, and had Bailey go tomorrow on his normal rest.

Once again, I'm done with this.

To your genius edit....

That does not clear up the 25 man roster issue and has nothing to do with Wood! You bring up Bailey and send down Leake. That is a whole different issue and has nothing to do with Wood being sent down!

If you want to make a point, say "I would have sent down Stubbs or DFA'd Nix." Now you are talking and you would have a reasonable point.

As I have stated over and over again, you are making no sense! Sending down Leake has nothing to do with sending down Wood.

If you skip 2 or 3 of Wood's starts his numbers get closer to a reasonable number of innings and you do not need to resort to Bailey or Harang at the end of the year. You need to do that when it makes sense, and doing it this week due to the trade makes sense. Best of both worlds.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
To your genius edit....

That does not clear up the 25 man roster issue and has nothing to do with Wood! You bring up Bailey and send down Leake. That is a whole different issue and has nothing to do with Wood being sent down!

If you want to make a point, say "I would have sent down Stubbs or DFA'd Nix." Now you are talking and you would have a reasonable point.

As I have stated over and over again, you are making no sense! Sending down Leake has nothing to do with sending down Wood.

If you skip 2 or 3 of Wood's starts his numbers get closer to a reasonable number of innings and you do not need to resort to Bailey or Harang at the end of the year. You need to do that when it makes sense, and doing it this week due to the trade makes sense. Best of both worlds.

But they're not skipping his start, he's starting his turn AAA.

All you have to do, is send down Carlos Fisher/Bill Bray along with Leake. You bring up Bailey, and add Jim Edmonds. You have ten pitchers one or 2 nights, and then you bring up Aroldis/Jared Burton/AAA guy who can be your long reliever.

Or you could send down Juan Francisco or DFA Nix.

That was hard.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM

That just changes the question to who pitches Tuesday and Wednesday? Either you have two pitchers on 3 days rest, or you call someone up. If you call someone up, then it doesn't clear up the 25 man issue.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:42 PM
That just changes the question to who pitches Tuesday and Wednesday? Either you have two pitchers on 3 days rest, or you call someone up. If you call someone up, then it doesn't clear up the 25 man issue.

Cueto pitches today

Bailey pitches Tuesday

Arroyo pitches Wednesday

Why is this so hard?

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
But they're not skipping his start, he's starting his turn AAA.

All you have to do, is send down Carlos Fisher/Bill Bray along with Leake. You bring up Bailey, and add Jim Edmonds. You have ten pitchers one or 2 nights, and then you bring up Aroldis/Jared Burton/AAA guy who can be your long reliever.

Or you could send down Juan Francisco or DFA Nix.

That was hard.

That was my first reply to you (essentially agreeing with you), and I stated if they do that they really need to limit his innings. That could at least add some innings to his major league innings. It's probably not even 100% he is starting in the minors.

If he goes a full outing in AAA then yes, it's stupid. Some other guy should have been sent down. Yet Leake has nothing to do with any of this.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Cueto pitches today

Bailey pitches Tuesday

Arroyo pitches Wednesday

Why is this so hard?

once again, someone else needs to be sent down if you bring up Bailey. That whole issue has nothing to do with Wood being sent down. Why is that so hard to understand?

You want Leake sent down and bring up Bailey. Great. I have no issue with that. Yet it does not clear up the 25 man roster issue that caused Wood to be sent down, the whole freaking point of this thread.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
once again, someone else needs to be sent down if you bring up Bailey. That whole issue has nothing to do with Wood being sent down. Why is that so hard to understand?

You want Leake sent down and bring up Bailey. Great. I have no issue with that. Yet it does not clear up the 25 man roster issue that caused Wood to be sent down.

But it does, because its another, IMO better way to get Edmonds on the roster, and get a guy whose struggling mightily because he's hitting a wall off it to rest for 10 days.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
But it does, because its another, IMO better way to get Edmonds on the roster, and get a guy whose struggling mightily because he's hitting a wall off it to rest for 10 days.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

What about bringing up Bailey and sending down Leake not clearing a spot in the roster don't you get? It has nothing to do with Edmonds taking a spot on the 25 man. It's some random side issue that has no bearing in why Wood was sent down.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 08:56 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!

What about bringing up Bailey and sending down Leake not clearing a spot in the roster don't you get? It has nothing to do with Edmonds taking a spot on the 25 man. It's some random side issue that has no bearing in why Wood was sent down.

I know, but I choose a roster decision that allows me to keep Wood with the team.

Its just a matter of preference, no need to freak out about it.

The only reason its not a direct swap like sending Wood down is because I need someone to start today, so I bring up Bailey. I also send down a long reliever type guy, and bring up another one in 2 days, sending Bailey or a bench guy down.

Its not that hard.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I know, but I choose a roster decision that allows me to keep Wood with the team.

and that is fine, but you kept harping on Leake being sent down like it was an answer to allowing Wood to stay on the roster. It's not.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 09:04 PM
and that is fine, but you kept harping on Leake being sent down like it was an answer to allowing Wood to stay on the roster. It's not.

But it is, your only bringing up Bailey to fill in the one start and send him back down to replace the reliever you sent down for Edmonds. A diagram

Reliever - Edmonds

Leake - Bailey

Bailey - Reliever

Essentially your your sending Leake down for Edmonds, you just have to bring up Bailey for the fill in start.

scott91575
08-09-2010, 09:16 PM

The only reason its not a direct swap like sending Wood down is because I need someone to start today, so I bring up Bailey. I also send down a long reliever type guy, and bring up another one in 2 days, sending Bailey or a bench guy down.

Its not that hard.

To the edit....

I am baffled. Just incredibly baffled.

Why not just say "I send down a long reliever guy instead of Wood." Why all these crazy roster moves that involve Leake for Bailey and a bunch of other players?

scott91575
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Reliever - Edmonds

AND JUST STOP THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That reliever needs to stay down for 10 days. He is the guy that Edmonds replaces. That would end it!

No need to include Leake at all. Sending Leake down is a whole different transaction that would just happen around the same time. No matter how hard you try to link Leake to Edmonds, it makes no sense!

BTW...Bailey is out of options. Once you bring him up he is here to stay. Not really relevant, just an FYI.

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
To the edit....

I am baffled. Just incredibly baffled.

Why not just say "I send down a long reliever guy instead of Wood." Why all these crazy roster moves that involve Leake for Bailey and a bunch of other players?

Fine be baffled.

I'm done arguing about it.

webbbj
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
anyone think in ten 10 days wood comes back up and the new rotation is: cueto, volquez, arroyo, wood, bailey?

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 09:24 PM
anyone think in ten 10 days wood comes back up and the new rotation is: cueto, volquez, arroyo, wood, bailey?

Leake sure is making it easy for them to do that.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
ok, DL Leake and bring Wood back. Leake has ONE quality start in his last 7

It is like what Cueto went through last year, he got tired so they put him on DL and when he returned he was lights out.

Plus if fixed Leake's inning issue

GaiusBallstar
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
AND JUST STOP THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That reliever needs to stay down for 10 days. He is the guy that Edmonds replaces. That would end it!

No need to include Leake at all. Sending Leake down is a whole different transaction that would just happen around the same time. No matter how hard you try to link Leake to Edmonds, it makes no sense!

BTW...Bailey is out of options. Once you bring him up he is here to stay. Not really relevant, just an FYI.

Then he's out of options, make it Matt Maloney or whoever, but Leake could use the 10 days rest. And the way I do it is complex, but it gets Edmonds on the roster, rests Leake, gets you a fresh starter for the Cards series, and gets you a new reliever in time to be there for all the off days.

Krawhitham
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Stubbs could have went 0-4

scott91575
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Then he's out of options, make it Matt Maloney or whoever, but Leake could use the 10 days rest. And the way I do it is complex, but it gets Edmonds on the roster, rests Leake, gets you a fresh starter for the Cards series, and gets you a new reliever in time to be there for all the off days.

I know what you are getting at, but calling someone up to take Leake's start is superfluous. Someone needed to start today or tomorrow or Wednesday. Answering that question with Bailey or Maloney etc. is just plain confusing and irrelevant. Guess what your answer should have been....Leake. Then say you send down Leake after his start. There was no reason to replace him with someone. Bringing in Maloney is just stating you want Leake sent down with or without the Edmonds deal.

My whole point about sending down Leake is they needed someone to start this week. You can let Leake pitch today while you send down a reliever/Fransico/whomever, and then send him down tomorrow while calling up a different reliever or position player. All this other business about calling up Bailey or Maloney or whomever just clouds it all. If you want to call that sending down Leake, fine. In your scenario you are replacing Leake for 1 start and that is what irrelevant.

Anyway, with the Leake scenario you still lose a guy fort 10 days in the minors. All that so you can get Wood to pitch this week, yet the Reds plan on skipping him in the future anyway. If you don't think that to be true, now we are back to my original point about innings.

Finally, if the Reds actually pitch Wood in the minors for any serious amount of pitches, then it was stupid. We shall see.

redraider10
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I think why they sent Wood down for those 10 games is because he wanted to limit his innings so he could finish the season. I think what Dusty's plan is to have Wood goes down for 10 days once that is done Leake will go down for 10 days. I think in the mean time is to call up Bailey and bring Fisher who pitched well last night down. I just hope they do not need that extra reliever and hope the starters make long starts

Hondo
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't know why they just didn't let the rotation go through the normal rotation and let everybody get an extra day off of rest... Keeping Wood on the Big League Club and not having him pitch a minor league game to "keep sharp"... I would rather just have him stay sharp pitching on an extra day of rest...

I would DL Leake just like the Nats DL'd Strasburg to let him skip a couple starts and give him rest...

That would have been the better plan.

Caveman Techie
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Stubbs could have went 0-4

1 game. Really you are going to judge the trade after 1 game? :rolleyes:

brm7675
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Why would Wood only have that much left? if he only had that much left why would the Reds waste him by having him pitch a game at AAA while he is done there?

Girevik
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM

If Bailey is out of options then you HAVE to bring him up after his rehab is complete (rehab is limited to two weeks, I think), or expose him to waivers.

DocRed
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Then why do u start him in the minors? Makes no sense to me to burn up those extra innings in the minors.

scott91575
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Why would Wood only have that much left? if he only had that much left why would the Reds waste him by having him pitch a game at AAA while he is done there?

Then why do u start him in the minors? Makes no sense to me to burn up those extra innings in the minors.

You guys are all going by one post in this thread that Fay made about Wood making a start in Louisville. His tweets at the same time make it more confusing.

RT @pdiddy3571: @johnfayman Why option wood?//Wasn't going to pitch for 10 days anyway

Wood was scheduled to pitch next on that 18th. He'll start the 19th instead. They have 3 off days coming up. His IP are a concern. #reds

One thing we know, the Reds did not plan on him starting for 10 days anyway. That is from Dusty. If he does start in the minors it should be very limited.

Yet, as I have stated multiple times, if he goes a full start then it is stupid.

DocRed
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
You guys are all going by one post in this thread that Fay made about Wood making a start in Louisville. His tweets at the same time make it more confusing.

One thing we know, the Reds did not plan on him starting for 10 days anyway. That is from Dusty. If he does start in the minors it should be very limited.

Yet, as I have stated multiple times, if he goes a full start then it is stupid.

"With off days, he's going to miss one start," Jocketty said. "He'll go down and make one start and if all goes well, we'll bring him back in 10 days. He's pitched terrific and has done a great job for us."

scott91575
08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
"With off days, he's going to miss one start," Jocketty said. "He'll go down and make one start and if all goes well, we'll bring him back in 10 days. He's pitched terrific and has done a great job for us."

and if he throws 100 pitches I won't like it. A jump from 167 to 220 is still a big jump. If he throws 50 just to stay loose we will learn the Reds are somewhat concerned about his innings.

No matter what he was the guy getting skipped in the majors, so you were not going to see him make a start this week anyway. Debate that all you want, it was going to happen. So why not send down Wood?

DocRed
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
and if he throws 100 pitches I won't like it. A jump from 167 to 220 is still a big jump. If he throws 50 just to stay loose we will learn the Reds are somewhat concerned about his innings.

No matter what he was the guy getting skipped in the majors, so you were not going to see him make a start this week anyway. Debate that all you want, it was going to happen. So why not send down Wood?

We pretty much agree....but, if he is just going to throw 50 pitches, why not just let him do that on the MLB level? It's an argument that does not any right answer, I'm just saying.

scott91575
08-10-2010, 01:32 PM
We pretty much agree....but, if he is just going to throw 50 pitches, why not just let him do that on the MLB level? It's an argument that does not any right answer, I'm just saying.

because you do not want to waste your bullpen for a partial start when you can just start another guy who will have plenty of rest due to off days.

If you throw him out of the bullpen you will not know what you are getting, and who knows if an appropriate situation will pop up on that one day he would normally be due to start.

In the minors you can use him the exact way you like without affecting the rest of the major league team.

1990REDS
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
So where is Harang gonna fit in this gob of pitching and roster moves that we have to make?

scott91575
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
In case anyone was wondering, Travis Wood started tonight. He threw only 2 innings and 42 pitches. He gave up no runs.

So yes, Wood started, but it was just to keep him from getting rusty. As noted, his innings are a concern and the reason he only threw 2 innings.