View Full Version : Phillips stirs controversy

Ron Madden
08-10-2010, 03:26 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

discuss?

fearofpopvol1
08-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Well...

It may not be the best idea to that he’s yapping his mouth, but I think he is saying what a lot of people think about the Cardinals. Certainly Reds fans.

I'd rather see Phillips say that he thinks the Reds are a better team and they would prove it on the field (as he has a lot of young kids who look up to him), but to each his own.

I don't hate that he did this though.

Does any Reds pitcher have the cojones to bean Pujols? Just once. Send a message...hit Pujols square on the tush.

reds44
08-10-2010, 03:40 AM
I love that he said it. Going 0-5 and striking out to end the game isn't so good though.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
There are so many former Cards on the Reds, and former Reds on the Cards that it's hard to understand the hatred for the other team. The Cubs....well they are the Cubs. The Reds and Cards have a lot of similarities though. I'm not crazy about what Colby Rasmus said earlier in the season. I think that was wrong, and I don't think Phillips should have made those comments either. It means more when you make a statement on the field.

Ron Madden
08-10-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm not a fan trash talk myself, no matter who's doing the talking.

KronoRed
08-10-2010, 04:01 AM

Agreed, it's almost always lame, show it on the field.

I'm sure the Cardinals are really bothered by it ;)

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 04:03 AM

I agree. I prefer the players keep quiet and just play the game. I'm sure Scott Rolen will have a talk with Phillips, assuming he hasn't already. I agree with some of the stuff Phillips said though. It's gotta be hard not to say something after hearing Lopez and Rasmus talk trash about the Reds and having to constantly hear Carpenter complain about something.

mth123
08-10-2010, 04:06 AM

:thumbup:

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 04:23 AM
After all the crap that they've accused the Reds of (thinking that incident with Bronson last year), complained about with the umps and field crew while playing us rather than just taking a loss like any other team I can understand there being some animosity there. The crap that Carpenter pulled today, showing up his own player like that just goes to highlight how differently these two clubs operate. I can only imagine what the Reds in the dugout thought of Carpenter's antics.

And why not speak his mind. Baseball gets a reputation for being the most boring of the three major North American professional sports, and a lot of it is because there is nary a semblance of rivalry outside of New York/Boston. Even though Votto's previous comments on the Cubs turned out to be in jest I wouldn't have minded if they were 100% serious. I'm positive these comments are being said with real conviction, and I like them as well.

edit: The less Brandon & Co. censor themselves in what they say (as long as it is backed by results in the long-term), the more people in this city and Tri-State area will realize that there is actually another show in town besides the two-headed hype machine next door.

muddie
08-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Frankly, I thinnk the timing is very poor and demonstrates poor judgement on his part. Do your talking with your performance on the field. That's when it really makes a difference.

TheNext44
08-10-2010, 04:43 AM
I wish he hasn't said it, but I have to agree with what he said, and I'm glad someone said it. Someone needed to say it, The Cardinals make themselves the easiest team to hate in the NL and are closing in on the Red Sox and Yankees.

However, this notion that something someone said is clubhouse fodder is just horsepuckey. The Cardinals didn't need any special motivation to whip some Reds butt on Monday, and it's not like they will try harder on Tuesday because of what Phillips said.

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Seriously this stuff happens 5 times every week during a football season and no one bats an eye. One baseball player speaks his mind and we all put our heads in the air and claim it's irreverent to the game. Why the double standard I don't know, but I for one welcome more dynamic personalities to speak their minds in this sport.

muddie
08-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Seriously, what did he accomplish by mouthing off like he did? And again, the timing was horrible.

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 04:58 AM
What he did will hardly impact either teams' chances either way. They're just words.

But they sure do make following baseball more interesting.

For example, as much as I hate Carpenter for being a crybaby who won't hesitate to go off on anyone that is in the recent vicinity of his mound on any given day, I appreciate that he's playing the game, and playing it with fire. It makes watching these two teams more interesting. Same goes for our guys that like to jaw a little bit here and there.

Ron Madden
08-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Here is the original story from Hal McCoy.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/index.html

GAC
08-10-2010, 05:53 AM
"Nothing to see here. Lets move on". Ain't that big of a deal with me. I wish he hadn't said it, but this kind of stuff goes on daily around baseball.

Just go out and win the next two games and this series guys. That's the kind of statement I want to see. ;)

membengal
08-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Here is the original story from Hal McCoy.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/index.html

I think the only "stirring of controversy" here is what Fay continues to do with Phillips. Really, it's now gone to fully childish on Fay's part.

As for what Phillips said, I have no problems with it. It's not any different than what gets said in the heat of games between teams going for it that have actual rivalries. Red Sox/Yankees or Dodgers/Giants type rivalries. I am glad Brandon feels that way, and hope the rest of the team does too. Frankly, he's not wrong.

I just hope tonite the Reds get a better effort from their starting pitcher and find a way to win.

membengal
08-10-2010, 07:26 AM
"We understand John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated, and disappointed by his failure in [trading for A-Rod]. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

---George Steinbrenner

"To me it was just odd, because I mean we beat [Curt Schilling] a couple of times during the year and he was crying on the bench. And then he lost Game 1 and he wouldn't talk or anything. And obviously, he wins Game 6 and then he's still talking 'till today.

---A-Rod

"If they want to throw hand grenades, let them throw hand grenades."

---Brian Cashman

“I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game.”

---Bob Feller

San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson said he wouldn't forget that Casey Blake mocked the cross-armed gesture he makes after every save as a tribute to his faith and deceased father. Blake was shown on television cameras Sunday appearing to mimic Wilson's signature pose at the end of the 12th inning. Blake's home run against Wilson that inning tied the score, but the Giants scored two runs in the 13th inning and won, 7-5. The Dodgers won't face the Giants again until Aug. 10 in San Francisco, but Wilson told reporters in that city that he has "a pretty good memory." Wilson didn't deny that Blake's gesture could intensify the rivalry between the clubs. The incident so upset Wilson that he wouldn't speak to reporters about it Sunday and had to be consoled by teammates. Asked whether Blake's actions surprised him, Wilson said, "In this day and age, everyone's got some meaning behind what they do. Whether a guy crosses home plate and points to the sky; he's not just pointing to the clouds, right?"

mth123
08-10-2010, 07:34 AM
---George Steinbrenner

---A-Rod

I hope we're not holding Steinbrenner up as a standard. If a player says something that compares to something Steinbrenner said, its not a cause for saying its ok. Its a reason to be embarrassed about it.

Put me in the camp that thinks this isn't a huge deal. IMO it doesn't really provide any more motivation than the pennant race does. Even so, I still think its pretty classless to say it even if everybody may be thinking it. I wish these guys would just shut up and play.

And for the record, that goes for football and baseketball too. No double standard here.

membengal
08-10-2010, 07:43 AM
No, what I am pointing out is that people and players in actual rivaries say things that reflect the nature of those rivalries. And I am not in the hate-George-Steinbrenner-at-all-costs-camp. That was one competitive son of a gun, and his teams reflected that competitiveness. And he loathed the Red Sox. And John Henry loathed him. And that loathing (and the money spent) helped spark 10 years of really memorable baseball. No one in that rivalry has anything to apologize for, and, frankly, the rivalry has been more interesting from the outside looking in because so many of them have NOT just shut up and played.

If it's what they feel, I have no problems with it.

And I promise you that stuff is said, all the time, in clubhouses that have competitive people on teams trying to win stuff. But it has been so long since we have had that in Cincinnati that we probably forget that.

ETA: I also hate the Cardinals. I think Brandon is dead on. I hate the Cardinals like so many of you around these parts hate the Cubs. That Cubs hatred, frankly, is something that I don't get. The Cubs never win anything. By and large, they are filled with unobjectionable players and management (outside of, say, Zambrano, and he's just kinda crazy). Maybe it's their fanbase that sets so many of you off.

But St. Louis? Man, with LaRussa and his collection of aggrieved entitled fill-in-the-blanks and that fanbase of same (living in Memphis for 10 years, trust, it got old), I would really love for this Reds team to knock them off. I fear we don't have the TOR hammer yet to do that, but I can still hope. And if they do, I am glad Brandon will take extra joy in it. Again, this is the kind of passion that has been at the heart of baseball rivalries for 100 years.

If John Fay were not such a child, he would know that, or be honest about it.

membengal
08-10-2010, 08:00 AM
"Why shouldn't we pitch to Babe Ruth? We pitch to better hitters in the National League."

---John McGraw

mth123
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
No, what I am pointing out is that people and players in actual rivaries say things that reflect the nature of those rivalries. And I am not in the hate-George-Steinbrenner-at-all-costs-camp. That was one competitive son of a gun, and his teams reflected that competitiveness. And he loathed the Red Sox. And John Henry loathed him. And that loathing (and the money spent) helped spark 10 years of really memorable baseball. No one in that rivalry has anything to apologize for, and, frankly, the rivalry has been more interesting from the outside looking in because so many of them have NOT just shut up and played.

If it's what they feel, I have no problems with it.

And I promise you that stuff is said, all the time, in clubhouses that have competitive people on teams trying to win stuff. But it has been so long since we have had that in Cincinnati that we probably forget that.

ETA: I also hate the Cardinals. I think Brandon is dead on. I hate the Cardinals like so many of you around these parts hate the Cubs. That Cubs hatred, frankly, is something that I don't get. The Cubs never win anything. By and large, they are filled with unobjectionable players and management (outside of, say, Zambrano, and he's just kinda crazy). Maybe it's their fanbase that sets so many of you off.

But St. Louis? Man, with LaRussa and his collection of aggrieved entitled fill-in-the-blanks and that fanbase of same (living in Memphis for 10 years, trust, it got old), I would really love for this Reds team to knock them off. I fear we don't have the TOR hammer yet to do that, but I can still hope. And if they do, I am glad Brandon will take extra joy in it. Again, this is the kind of passion that has been at the heart of baseball rivalries for 100 years.

If John Fay were not such a child, he would know that, or be honest about it.

I'd be disappointed if they weren't saying thee things in the clubhouse. No reason to go public. Public face should be shut up and play.

membengal
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Oh please, mth, you know better than that. What's said in the clubhouse sometimes makes it to the public. Shut up and play? Sometimes. But let's not pretend that this kind of thing doesn't happen ALL THE TIME.

"There isn’t a team in the National League that’s better than us. The pressure’s back on them if you ask me. They were on paper the best team in the division last year and they were supposed to win, and they didn’t. One, there are four other teams in our division who are going to make sure that doesn't happen, and two, has anyone ever heard of plagiarism? That was pretty good, especially coming from him. He's a quiet guy, so it was probably shocking when he said it. Not shocking in a bad way, like 'Wow, I can't believe he said that.' More like, 'Wow, he finally said something because he's a leader on that team and you definitely need to be a vocal leader."

---Jimmy Rollins on Carlos Beltran and the Mets before the 2008 season

GoReds
08-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Punk LaRussa weighed in on the comments...

"I don't think that will go over well in his clubhouse," La Russa said. "Phillips is ripping his teammates. (Scott) Rolen, Edmonds, (Miguel) Cairo, (Russ) Springer, all of the ex-Cardinals over there. He isn't talking about this year. He's talking about the way we've always played. And those guys are old Cardinals. Tell him he's ripping his own teammates, because they were all Cardinals."

He's totally wrong and may have given the Reds bulletin board material. News flash to Tony - just because the players were once Cardinals does not make them so for life - no more so than we consider Larue or Lopez Reds for life. I'm sure if you ask Rolen, he may not like the timing of Brandon's comments, but I doubt he would disagree with them. Brandon IS talking about this year's team specifically and all the whining they do. Guess where that attitude originates?

hebroncougar
08-10-2010, 08:39 AM

He's totally wrong and may have given the Reds bulletin board material. News flash to Tony - just because the players were once Cardinals does not make them so for life - no more so than we consider Larue or Lopez Reds for life. I'm sure if you ask Rolen, he may not like the timing of Brandon's comments, but I doubt he would disagree with them. Brandon IS talking about this year's team specifically and all the whining they do. Guess where that attitude originates?

Larussa is just trying to cause problems for some players, and put a little doubt in their mind. He's no dummy.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
You've got to be a little careful when you kick the hornet's nest. You might stir up the other guy more than your team.

But what the heck. Brandon likes to yap sometimes. It's a little animosity and its 2 teams trying to get under each other's skin. Nothing too wrong with that. It's all part of the gamemanship and guys trying to gain every edge they can. Gives people something to talk about. I'm OK with it.

cumberlandreds
08-10-2010, 09:07 AM

LaRussa is just turning the comments back on Phillips. Which is a very smart thing for him to do and an easy thing considering all the ex-Cardinals the Reds have on their team. Phillips just needs to be quiet and let the play of himself and the team do the talking.

Cyclone792
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Phillips said it how it is, and I love it.

We'll see how the Cardinals react. If they go after him, then I expect (and hope) Phillips retaliates appropriately. If it takes clearing the benches, so be it. Frankly, with all the outfield depth we now have, we can unleash both Gomes and Nix and deal with any potential suspensions they'd get.

And we know from Gomes' past that he's a good guy to have on your side in those situations.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM

We'll see how the Cardinals react. If they go after him, then I expect (and hope) Phillips retaliates appropriately. If it takes clearing the benches, so be it. Frankly, with all the outfield depth we now have, we can unleash both Gomes and Nix and deal with any potential suspensions they'd get.

And we know from Gomes' past that he's a good guy to have on your side in those situations.

Cyclone is on the warpath. Hold him back, someone, quick!!!

;)

cincinnati chili
08-10-2010, 09:26 AM
"Why shouldn't we pitch to Babe Ruth? We pitch to better hitters in the National League." ---John McGraw

Baseball history buffs.... Just out of curiosity, how did Ruth do against McGraw's club after McGraw said this?

It may not have been the brightest thing for Phillips to do. But it's still pretty funny. It gave me something to forward to all my Cardinal-fan friends.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I would love to see the Reds become the type of rivalry with the Cards that the Astros were just a few years ago. The Astros did it on the field though... the Cards players respected them for what they did on the field. I never heard one of their players say that they hate the Cards though. They had a tough rivalry that was built on respect for each other. Yeah, they made comments back and forth, but nothing about hatred. I just hope comments like what Phillips made don't start another type of rivalry. The Reds have a very good team, and they can earn show that on the field. They don't have to do it in the media.

lollipopcurve
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't like this kind of talk. I support Phillips a lot on this board, but this is a case where I wish he'd have checked his instincts. Actions speak louder.

westofyou
08-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Seriously this stuff happens 5 times every week during a football season and no one bats an eye. One baseball player speaks his mind and we all put our heads in the air and claim it's irreverent to the game. Why the double standard I don't know, but I for one welcome more dynamic personalities to speak their minds in this sport.

Who cares about football? This is baseball they play everyday, that stuff works in football because it is football and they play once a week.

westofyou
08-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Baseball history buffs.... Just out of curiosity, how did Ruth do against McGraw's club after McGraw said this?

It may not have been the brightest thing for Phillips to do. But it's still pretty funny. It gave me something to forward to all my Cardinal-fan friends.

Start of the 21 series Ruth did pretty well, MGraw knew he was in essence the wild card and started walking him, this frustrated Ruth so after one walk he stole 2nd and then 3rd, on his slide into 3rd he ripped open his elbow, which eventually got infected and cost him playing time in the series, Which they lost.

Last series to have more than 7 games scheduled too.

kbrake
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I have no problems with BP's comment but he needs to step up in this series. The Cards are beyond annoying and BP was correct in what he said. And John Fay is a child.

Cedric
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I would love to see the Reds become the type of rivalry with the Cards that the Astros were just a few years ago. The Astros did it on the field though... the Cards players respected them for what they did on the field. I never heard one of their players say that they hate the Cards though. They had a tough rivalry that was built on respect for each other. Yeah, they made comments back and forth, but nothing about hatred. I just hope comments like what Phillips made don't start another type of rivalry. The Reds have a very good team, and they can earn show that on the field. They don't have to do it in the media.

All the Cardinals do is whine. Whining doesn't exactly make you a true "champion" either.

There is a reason people absolutely despise Lagenius.

flyer85
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
much ado about nothing, what matters is what happens on the field.

traderumor
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I would love to see the Reds become the type of rivalry with the Cards that the Astros were just a few years ago. The Astros did it on the field though... the Cards players respected them for what they did on the field. I never heard one of their players say that they hate the Cards though. They had a tough rivalry that was built on respect for each other. Yeah, they made comments back and forth, but nothing about hatred. I just hope comments like what Phillips made don't start another type of rivalry. The Reds have a very good team, and they can earn show that on the field. They don't have to do it in the media.I am not going to research the truth of your argument, but the Cards' whining is what triggered this stuff. Tony's quotes today are laughable as he plays Mr. Innocent, as if they have been nothing but consummate professionals that don't deserve these type of comments. He's accused Aaron Harang (one of the nicest people in the world) of head hunting, there is the slippery balls incident, his hatred of Dusty, Colby Rasmus talking about Arroyo's "slop" that he didn't come close to hitting, and that is just off the top of my head.

Shumaker closes his eyes with the bases loaded and now he's a spokesman for the class of his team. Uh-huh.

Cedric
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I am not going to research the truth of your argument, but the Cards' whining is what triggered this stuff. Tony's quotes today are laughable as he plays Mr. Innocent, as if they have been nothing but consummate professionals that don't deserve these type of comments. He's accused Aaron Harang (one of the nicest people in the world) of head hunting, there is the slippery balls incident, his hatred of Dusty, Colby Rasmus talking about Arroyo's "slop" that he didn't come close to hitting, and that is just off the top of my head.

Shumaker closes his eyes with the bases loaded and now he's a spokesman for the class of his team. Uh-huh.

Cris Carpenter is one of the most pathetic players in the game. He isn't ultra competitive. He is just a pathetic baby.

He showed up his teammates again yesterday and what he did to Felipe a few years back was disgusting. That just reeks of "sore loser" and not ultra competitive. He is the case in point for why people hate the Cardinals.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
There is a reason people absolutely despise Lagenius.

You are right! He has managed a lot of winning teams. A lot of people are jealous of success... any type of success, and baseball isn't immune to it.

As for LaRussa... I don't know who hates him most... Reds fans....or Cards fans. I'm thinking it's probably leaning towards Cards fans though. I've read posts on the Cardinals board that make any Anti-LaRussa post that I've seen here seem like nothing. lol

yab1112
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM

I chose you GomesNixasaur!

/endbrawl

hebroncougar
08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
What did Carpenter do last night? I must have missed it?

LincolnparkRed
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Cris Carpenter is one of the most pathetic players in the game. He isn't ultra competitive. He is just a pathetic baby.

He showed up his teammates again yesterday and what he did to Felipe a few years back was disgusting. That just reeks of "sore loser" and not ultra competitive. He is the case in point for why people hate the Cardinals.

Don't forget yelling at Carlos Lee when Lee got mad about just missing a hanging curve that Carp tossed up there. He screamed that Lee "showed him up"

he is the type of guy you put up with when he his on your team but, secretly loathe anyway

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM

I like your style. :)

Bring up Chapman, just in case the Cardinals decide they want to throw at Phillips.

westofyou
08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I like your style. :)

Bring up Chapman, just in case the Cardinals decide they want to throw at Phillips.

Yeah, so some bumpkin from the cards bench can charge the mound and throw him around and give him the Graig Nettles version of the Bill Lee story.

No thanks.

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
What did Carpenter do last night? I must have missed it?

There were a couple of things last night. First right before the first pitch Ryan had to change his glove. It probably took all of 15 seconds but this bothered Carpenter enough that he gave Ryan a pretty lengthy talk in the hall going back toward the clubhouse after the inning.

Then later in the game the Cardinals apparently positioned Ryan for Francisco to pull the ball. Francisco then hit the RBI single right through the normal short stop position and Carpenter was very upset about that back in the dugout.

Basically Carpenter is a very good pitcher but he looks like a miserable person who is always upset about something.

dsmith421
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
He has managed a lot of winning teams.

The two most consistent aspects of LaRussa's managerial career have been immense success and a completely laissez-faire "who me?" approach to steroid abuse.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, so some bumpkin from the cards bench can charge the mound and throw him around and give him the Graig Nettles version of the Bill Lee story.

No thanks.

Maybe the Cards can re-sign Ray King and he'll plant his big butt on a valuable arm or shoulder.

I appreciate the spirit but dispute the wisdom of getting into a brawl with the Cards. Let's just play baseball. There are plenty of ways to make your points that way.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I appreciate the spirit but dispute the wisdom of getting into a brawl with he Cards. Let's just play baseball. There are plenty of ways to make your points that way.

That's the best way to do it if you really want to make a statement.

westofyou
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
The two most consistent aspects of LaRussa's managerial career have been immense success and a completely laissez-faire "who me?" approach to steroid abuse.

A third is posturing about his team being hit with pitches whilst his pitchers did the same to the team he postures against.

I watched the mans whole career up close in Oakland and he's a tempest in a teapot.

Chip R
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
A third is posturing about his team being hit with pitches whilst his pitchers did the same to the team he postures against.

Word.

TheNext44
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM

I watched the mans whole career up close in Oakland and he's a tempest in a teapot.

Yep, many manager win. Bobby Cox, Sparky Anderson, Lou Pinella, Joe Torre, Jim Leyland, Whitey Herzog, Joe Maddon, Terry Francona, Earl Weaver...

But no manager in my lifetime has ever been so loathed by other fans, players and coaches as Larussa. And winning has nothing to do with it. Simply put, he thinks his crap don't stink.

Benihana
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
This thread is kinda sad IMO.

Joey Votto said something very similar (although slightly less incendiary) about the Cubs last month and everyone on the board LOVED it.

Brandon Phillips says it a month later, and everyone is complaining that he is a hothead and a showboat. I've said it before and I'll say it again, BP gets way too bad of a rap around here and is dramatically underappreciated. I, for one, love the guy as a player, and am happy he is on our team.

Bulletin Board material comes back to haunt a lot more in football than it does in baseball. I say Bring it Cardinals!

Wheelhouse
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I like it. I find it entertaining. That's the point of baseball, right?

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Joey Votto said something very similar (although slightly less incendiary) about the Cubs last month and everyone on the board LOVED it.

Brandon Phillips says it a month later, and everyone is complaining that he is a hothead and a showboat. I've said it before and I'll say it again, BP gets way too bad of a rap around here and is dramatically underappreciated. I, for one, love the guy as a player, and am happy he is on our team.

Bulletin Board material comes back to haunt a lot more in football than it does in baseball. I say Bring it Cardinals!

Except Votto said he was kidding about his comments, and they didnt come directly before the biggest Reds series in the last 10 years.

The two comments aren't remotely comparable.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Colby Rasmus talking about Arroyo's "slop" that he didn't come close to hitting, and that is just off the top of my head.

I don't think Rasmus should have made those comments either. I mentioned that in another thread yesterday. If you want to prove a point, do it on the field.

As for LaRussa... I tolerate him, but I do get annoyed when he talks about pitchers throwing at batters. Now that is annoying.

Chip R
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Wrong. Everybody on the board did not love it. Many were critical of Votto for doing that. So don't lump everyone in one group or another.

Bulletin Board material comes back to haunt a lot more in football than it does in baseball. I say Bring it Cardinals![/QUOTE]

Again, not everyone is complaining. At least 4 separate posters in the first page of this thread applauded him for it.

One difference is that when Votto said what he did, the Cubs didn't come to town 2 games out of 1st and proceed to kick the Reds asses in the first game with Mr. Obnoxious Chris Carpenter leading the way.

smith288
08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think Rasmus should have made those comments either. I mentioned that in another thread yesterday. If you want to prove a point, do it on the field.

Isnt Rasmus the guy with the "mustache"? Tell that trailer trash to clean that up with some bubble gum the Reds provide tonight, k?

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Isnt Rasmus the guy with the "mustache"? Tell that trailer trash to clean that up with some bubble gum the Reds provide tonight, k?

Not unless he just grew one. I'm not sure if Colby's baby face can even grow a mustache. You might be thinking of Brendan Ryan... he has a mustache.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
The majority of people on this board were NOT upset at all with Votto for his comments. In fact, at the time I said, "I wonder what the reaction would be if Brandon Phillips made the same comments."

Now we know. It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody though. There's an epic double standard between Phillips and everybody else, and I have no idea why.

traderumor
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

As for LaRussa... I tolerate him, but I do get annoyed when he talks about pitchers throwing at batters. Now that is annoying.Fair enough Matty

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
The majority of people on this board were NOT upset at all with Votto for his comments. In fact, at the time I said, "I wonder what the reaction would be if Brandon Phillips made the same comments."

Now we know. It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody though. There's an epic double standard between Phillips and everybody else, and I have no idea why.

The two quotes/scenarios are not even close to being comparable.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
The two quotes/scenarios are not even close to being comparable.
Oh yeah. Phillips was saying it before we actually played an important series against the Cardinals, Joey Votto just randomly said it during the All-Star break.

That makes sense, no.

CTA513
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

I don't remember Votto calling the Cubs little *****es.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't remember Votto calling the Cubs little *****es.
So what? Of course the two quotes weren't exactly the same. Both ran their mouths. Votto got a pass Phillips gets ripped on.

It's how it always is when it comes to Phillips.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
So what? Of course the two quotes weren't exactly the same. Both ran their mouths. Votto got a pass Phillips gets ripped on.

Joey Votto made a joke about not liking the Cubs during the all-star game.

Brandon Phillips called the Cardinals, a team who we are actually competing with, whiny little ******* RIGHT before the biggest series of his entire life.

It's not nearly as black and white (no pun intended) as you are trying to make it.

smith288
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Not unless he just grew one. I'm not sure if Colby's baby face can even grow a mustache. You might be thinking of Brendan Ryan... he has a mustache.

http://umpbump.com/press/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Brendan-Ryan.jpg

Thats right... tell him to find some bubblegum to get the dirt off his face.

Brutus
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Brandon Phillips called the Cardinals, a team who we are actually competing with, whiny little ******* RIGHT before the biggest series of his entire life.

It's not nearly as black and white (no pun intended) as you are trying to make it.

He backtracked a little bit about the players, but nothing in Votto's comments came across as a joke -- at least, there was some truth behind the crack.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Joey Votto was not joking with his comments. He was joking with what he said about Byrd, he said he meant what he said about the fan base.

Look, I really don't care. I love when people run their mouths. It's fun. I thought the Votto quote was a bit random, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I don't know if it's black or white, but there's no doubt Phillips is held to a different standard than everybody else. When it comes to hustling, when it comes to talking, when it comes to everything.

CTA513
08-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Saying you hate a team and calling a team little *****es is a little bit different.
But I'm sure its just us picking on Phillips again.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Saying you hate a team and calling a team little *****es is a little bit different.
But I'm sure its just us picking on Phillips again.
I really don't see how that's all that different. Because he used a curse word? Hate is hate.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Joey Votto was not joking with his comments. He was joking with what he said about Byrd, he said he meant what he said about the fan base.

Look, I really don't care. I love when people run their mouths. It's fun. I thought the Votto quote was a bit random, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I don't know if it's black or white, but there's no doubt Phillips is held to a different standard than everybody else. When it comes to hustling, when it comes to talking, when it comes to everything.

He's held to a different standard because it is constantly an issue. There is no doubt that he has been the biggest culprit of non-hustle plays of any Reds player over the last few years, and now he's giving other teams bulletin board material when it appears it was completely unprovoked.

That being said, I'd be just as upset if it were anyone else on the team making the comments. It makes no sense to stir this up now. Just go out and win games and let the playing do the talking.

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
He's held to a different standard because it is constantly an issue. There is no doubt that he has been the biggest culprit of non-hustle plays of any Reds player over the last few years, and now he's giving other teams bulletin board material when it appears it was completely unprovoked.

That being said, I'd be just as upset if it were anyone else on the team making the comments. It makes no sense to stir this up now. Just go out and win games and let the playing do the talking.
At the end of the day, if Phillips went 5-5 last night and the Reds won I don't think anybody would be complaining.

Talking and then going 0-5 and striking out to end the game makes you look BAD.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
At the end of the day, if Phillips went 5-5 last night and the Reds won I don't think anybody would be complaining.

Talking and then going 0-5 and striking out to end the game makes you look BAD.

I don't disagree. Even if he went 0-5 and the Reds won, I'd be more likely to cut him some slack, but the reality is that there is a serious chance that the Reds will be down a game in the central by the time the Cards leave town.

Bumstead
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Joey Votto backs it up by beating the hell out of the Cubs. Phillips backs up his big mouth by going 0-5...shut up and play ball. LaRussa and Carpenter are tools, everyone knows that. Why does Brandon Phillips need to bring it up when he isn't going to do anything to change it anyway. Carpenter dominated the Reds, Carpenter dominated Phillips; who's the little b***h now?

reds44
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Joey Votto backs it up by beating the hell out of the Cubs. Phillips backs up his big mouth by going 0-5...shut up and play ball. LaRussa and Carpenter are tools, everyone knows that. Why does Brandon Phillips need to bring it up when he isn't going to do anything to change it anyway. Carpenter dominated the Reds, Carpenter dominated Phillips; who's the little b***h now?
Oy vey.

Let the record show that Votto was hitless the first two games at Wrigley this weekend.

reds1869
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I wish Phillips hadn't said it, but he did. And you know what? He's 100% correct. I'm not a fan of smack talk but at the same time I understand his feelings. BP is someone who doesn't have a filter and will always stir the pot. This newly found rivalry is getting hotter by the moment, and will explode if the Reds crush StL this evening. I've wanted the Reds to have a true NL Central rivalry since the division was formed and now we are getting one.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Instead of making those comments to a reporter. Phillips should have yelled towards the mound at Carpenter, and told him to his face. :)

mdccclxix
08-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I hope Phillips is a Red for life, which should include a championship ring somewhere in there. :D

Captain Hook
08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Here's what I think.... I hate the Cardinals. All they do is xxxxx and moan about everything, all of them, they’re little xxxxxxx, all of ‘em. I really hate the Cardinals.Let me make this clear - I hate the Cardinals.

The Operator
08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Instead of making those comments to a reporter. Phillips should have yelled towards the mound at Carpenter, and told him to his face. :)

Hey, that'd be OK. Carpenter was visibly different after the incident in Arizona when he was hit. He might not meltdown in epic proportions like Zambrano, but his emotions can certainly get the best of him.

Bumstead
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Oy vey.

Let the record show that Votto was hitless the first two games at Wrigley this weekend.

Whatever fits your argument sir.

Votto vs. Cubs in 2010: .917 OPS with 4 HR's and 9 RBI's in 47 AB's
Phillips vs. Cards in 2010: .635 OPS with 0 HR's and 2 RBI's in 50 AB's

Yeah, I hate to use facts and all...Phillips should just be quiet and do something; he hasn't done anything to backup his flapping. Why give the Cards any inspiration at all when you are 2 games up and have recently pulled away from them a bit? Stupid.

reds44
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Does anybody have Lopez's exact quote?

kaldaniels
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I personally don't like BP saying that, but hey...if you are gonna go, go all in.

Danny Serafini
08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I love it. Maybe it wasn't the best timing, but too many players want to be all lovey-dovey with the opponents. I like seeing some competitive fire. And I don't buy into the whole bulletin board theory anyway. You're playing for first place, if that alone isn't enough to motivate you then you shouldn't be wearing the uniform in the first place.

VR
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Not a good idea for Phillips to blast that out to a reporter....but I do love the fact that he hates the Cards.

One thing I don't like about pro sports is the 'club' that players all belong to now.

Eric_the_Red
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I think this will be a bigger deal and will linger longer among fans & the media than with the actual clubs involved.

RichRed
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Not a good idea for Phillips to blast that out to a reporter....but I do love the fact that he hates the Cards.

That's how I feel too. The best part to me is that nobody would care if the Reds weren't in a pennant race. It's fun to be relevant again.

Spitball
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of trash talk, but I am a big fan of intense rivalries. They greatly add to the fan and media interest.

Maybe Phillips has added just the match to ignite the fire needed to create a more intense Reds-Cardinal rivalry. It is good for the fans of both franchises.

In the past, the Yankees and Red Sox players were not shy about publicly expressing their dislike for each other. I remember Bill Lee back in the mid 1970s ripping the Yankees and calling Billy Martin a neo-Nazi. Thurman Munson showed open contempt for Carlton Fisk. It all added to the intensity of the games.

Hopefully Phillips has added something more to the game than just the score and first place.

_Sir_Charles_
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Much ado about nothing. I find it amusing that it's now going on 6 pages discussing it though. Hehehe.

It'll definitely be talked about more on the net than by the actual players.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Good for him. Led by that whiny B Chris Carpenter, the Cardinals are a bunch of little crybabies. Let's give them something to really cry about over these next two games. Someone needs to punch Carpenter right in the mouth and see if he keeps yapping. I'm glad the Reds' clubhouse isn't made up of complete pricks like that.

SMcGavin
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM
To be honest - I like the swagger. I kind of wish he'd just had this conversation with Votto and not John Fay, but I'm not heartbroken that the quote came out. Now Brandon needs to back it up.

And what BP said is 100% true, the Cards do whine about everything.

_Sir_Charles_
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
To be honest - I like the swagger. I kind of wish he'd just had this conversation with Votto and not John Fay, but I'm not heartbroken that the quote came out. Now Brandon needs to back it up.

And what BP said is 100% true, the Cards do whine about everything.

Well, he certainly didn't have the conversation with Fayl. Brandon doesn't talk to him anymore. Period. Just ask John. :rolleyes:

CTA513
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, he certainly didn't have the conversation with Fayl. Brandon doesn't talk to him anymore. Period. Just ask John. :rolleyes:

Fay is going to give him crap just like other local beat writers did when Chad Johnson refused to talk to them.

Razor Shines
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I really don't see how that's all that different. Because he used a curse word? Hate is hate.

Come on, you can't see the difference in just saying you don't like a team and name calling?

This whole double standard business is bull bird. There are plenty of people who don't care about what Brandon said and they wouldn't care if Joey said it either. There are plenty of people who don't like what Brandon said and they wouldn't like it if Joey said it either.

nate
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I like the message, I just prefer he communicate it via his glove and bat rather than his foot-filled mouth.

Strikes Out Looking
08-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I like the message, I just prefer he communicate it via his glove and bat rather than his foot-filled mouth.

Agreed. Speak softly and carry a big stick always works best. Not that his statement was wrong

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
From John Fay:

“Brandon is being Brandon,” Arroyo said. “He’s a mini version of T.O. and Ochocinco. He stirs the pot. It’s just what he does. Brandon thrives on that. You guys (in the media) thrive on that.

“I don’t take it much serious.”

A couple of players who did not what to talk stressed that this would not be a problem in the clubhouse.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/10/baker-on-phillips/

RichRed
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
From John Fay:

Gawd, Fay is painful.

westofyou
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Good for him. Led by that whiny B Chris Carpenter, the Cardinals are a bunch of little crybabies. Let's give them something to really cry about over these next two games. Someone needs to punch Carpenter right in the mouth and see if he keeps yapping. I'm glad the Reds' clubhouse isn't made up of complete pricks like that.

Quality stuff.

For reds.com that is.

Brutus
08-10-2010, 06:17 PM
From John Fay:

"A couple of players who did not what to talk"

It's OK. I didn't really know if I what to read.

RichRed
08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
"A couple of players who did not what to talk"

It's OK. I didn't really know if I what to read.

And "I don't take it much serious"? I'd be surprised if that's really what Arroyo said.

savafan
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
And "I don't take it much serious"? I'd be surprised if that's really what Arroyo said.

Agreed. I find it laughable that anyone pays this man to put together sentences, let alone write entire columns.

Spitball
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
The PTI guys on ESPN are giving Phillips great reviews for his remarks.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I honestly can't believe that a guy who gets paid to write absolutely NEVER proofreads what he writes. I mean NEVER. You can't tell me he has ever proofread one of his tweets or blog posts.

RichRed
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I honestly can't believe that a guy who gets paid to write absolutely NEVER proofreads what he writes. I mean NEVER. You can't tell me he has ever proofread one of his tweets or blog posts.

Twitter's the last thing Jonh Fya needed to be given access to.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
From John Fay - Rolen on Phillips

“Brandon put himself out there by the way he expressed himself,” Rolen said. “Everybody in this clubhouse, including Brandon, understands that the competition is on the field.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/10/rolen-on-phillips/

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 08:10 PM
From John Fay - Phillips stands by what he said

“People (other than the Cardinals and their fans) respect me for what I said,” Phillips said. “Those were my comments, and a lot of people feel that way all throughout the league — many people feel that way. Regardless of what I say, we’ve got to go out there and take care of business.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/10/phillips-stands-by-what-he-said/

mth123
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Anybody change their mind?

CTA513
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Anybody change their mind?

You can't call a team little *****es and not expect them to do something about it.

mth123
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM
You can't call a team little *****es and not expect them to do something about it.

Exactly. As I said and continue to believe, Shut up and play guys.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 08:33 PM

And you can't refer to Arroyo's stuff as "slop." The Cardinals aren't innocent. I think we learned something about the Cardinals today - they are a bunch of thugs, especially Molina.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Quality stuff.

For reds.com that is.

You must post there to know. Do you ever have anything to add to the conversation, or do you just spew BS towards other posters? Your act is beyond tired. I know the movie grumpy old men was based on your life, but you're taking it a bit too far.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
And you can't refer to Arroyo's stuff as "slop." The Cardinals aren't innocent. I think we learned something about the Cardinals today - they are a bunch of thugs, especially Molina.

'Xactly. The Cards can dish it out, but they can't even come close to taking it. Pujols is always talking mess, Molina is a total punk and Carpenter needs someone to take him behind the woodshed and teach him what it's like to be a man. Carpenter is a heck of a pitcher; it's too bad he behaves like a 12-year-old girl. (Sorry to offend 12-year-old girls.)

Phillips spoke the truth and was ready to back it up. Was funny to see Molina backpedal when Phillips took his helmet off like, "It's on!" And then Carpenter getting tossed into the fence was hilarious. You could see the fear on his face.

All talk, no walk. Can dish it out, but can't take it.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Did they do anything about it other than act like a bunch of little ******es? None of them wanted anything to do with a fight. Molina thought he could talk smack to BP through his mask and that would be it. Nope. BP was ready to go and back up his words. The Cardinals are a bunch of punks, or whatever you want to call them. They are a good baseball team. But they're also a bunch of punks/*****es. Their manager leads the way. Carpenter and Molina are his main disciples.

CTA513
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Did they do anything about it other than act like a bunch of little ******es? None of them wanted anything to do with a fight. Molina thought he could talk smack to BP through his mask and that would be it. Nope. BP was ready to go and back up his words. The Cardinals are a bunch of punks, or *****es, whatever you want to call them. They are a good baseball team. But they're also a bunch of punks/*****es. Their manager leads the way. Carpenter and Molina are his main disciples.

They acted the way people would want the Reds to act if the Cardinals said that about the Reds.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Carpenter is even a jerk to his own teammates. No one should be surprised BP called a spade a spade here. The Cardinals just have a bunch of punks on their team.

Brutus
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Yeah. I'm real sure the Cardinals are playing better ball because someone called them a *****.

There are some real sensitive folks here. We should be thanking Brandon that he's not one of those buttoned-up robot athletes that lies through his teeth and talks about things he doesn't believe. His honesty and sincerity is refreshing, even if I don't agree with all of it.

He called a spade a spade. I'm glad he did it.

mth123
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah. I'm real sure the Cardinals are playing better ball because someone called them a *****.

There are some real sensitive folks here. We should be thanking Brandon that he's not one of those buttoned-up robot athletes that lies through his teeth and talks about things he doesn't believe. His honesty and sincerity is refreshing, even if I don't agree with all of it.

He called a spade a spade. I'm glad he did it.

Not sensitive at all. I just would like to see guys rise above and be classy. I guess I should stop looking for Lou Gehrig in a Lindsay Lohan world.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Not sensitive at all. I just would like to see guys rise above and be classy. I guess I should stop looking for Lou Gehrig in a Lindsay Lohan world.

That's a pretty good line. (Seriously.) But don't forget Ty Cobb killed a man. It wasn't all peaches and cream back in the day with baseball players.

mth123
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
That's a pretty good line. (Seriously.) But don't forget Ty Cobb killed a man. It wasn't all peaches and cream back in the day with baseball players.

Of course there have always been guys like that. They used to be thought of poorly. We seem to be happy that Phillips lowered himself.

Blitz Dorsey
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Of course there have always been guys like that. They used to be thought of poorly. We seem to be happy that Phillips lowered himself.

I don't know that he lowered himself. He called a bunch of ******es "a bunch of ******es." I bet most MLB players would agree with him. We're just not used to someone speaking the truth in this PC world we live in.

mth123
08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't know that he lowered himself. He called a bunch of ******es "a bunch of ******es." I bet most MLB players would agree with him. We're just not used to someone speaking the truth in this PC world we live in.

I agree with him too. But if I say it in the press as a way to call them out, I'd be lowering myself. Say this stuff all you want in the locker room. Whip your teammates into a frenzy spouting it. Don't let John Fay, of all people, hear it though.

Always Red
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I guess I should stop looking for Lou Gehrig in a Lindsay Lohan world.

Let me know if and when you find him, and I'll follow along.

mbgrayson
08-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree with him too. But if I say it in the press as a way to call them out, I'd be lowering myself. Say this stuff all you want in the locker room. Whip your teammates into a frenzy spouting it. Don't let John Fay, of all people, hear it though.

Once again, it wasn't John Fay that heard it, it was Hal McCoy. Fay didn't report it until WAY after McCoy wrote his story.

CTA513
08-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Has this been posted?

Jocketty's response:

"I didn't read it. Somebody told me about it. But I don't think it was probably in his best interest to do that. You know, it's not a smart thing to do. And I'm sure we'll have a chance to sit down and talk about that today. But it's just, you know, I don't like things like that. It just doesn't do any good."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_8d2f6ff4-a4b8-11df-91af-00127992bc8b.html

Brutus
08-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Has this been posted?

What else do you expect Jocketty to say? He's a general manager, of course he's not going to publicly endorse it.

Jocketty is the most tight-lipped, conservative GM in the game. That's right from the marketing and PR textbook.

oregonred
08-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Bad timing by Phillips. The time to do it was not on the day of the series where you had the best advantage on paper to turn the game into an adrenaline rushes where you know the Cards would be advantaged. Cueto got off track a bit as a result. The Cards were going to be better prepared as the game turned into a different beast tonight.

In the long run, it may benefit the Reds as they mature. If nothing else, it has tossed gasoline on a long overdue rivalry for the Reds.

I couldn't pick two worse pitchers in the NL to face back to back than Wainwright and JJ the next two days. Needed to win tonight.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 11:45 PM
In the long run, it may benefit the Reds as they mature. If nothing else, it has tossed gasoline on a long overdue rivalry for the Reds.

Imagine what the games will be like if these two teams face each other in the NLCS!

oregonred
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Imagine what the games will be like if these two teams face each other in the NLCS!

Works for me. Reds would have a hard time in any short series with off days given the lack of a rotation hammer.

In addition to the three divisional races which have all tightened, the NL wild card is going to be a massive scrum.

corkedbat
08-11-2010, 01:34 AM
I don't like him saying it and stirring up stuff, but I agree with what he said.

The Operator
08-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Anyone remember this?

From the 2006 playoffs:
After Glavine's Game 1 performance last Thursday, Pujols -- whether in the spirit of competition or out of frustration over the Cardinals' defeat and his 0-for-4 performance -- said Glavine "wasn't that good. He wasn't good at all."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2630313

So in 2006 Pujols says Tom Glavine "wasn't good at all" after he beats The Cards and holds Albert hitless. Then, this year - after Bronson Arroyo beats The Cards and holds Colby Rasmus hitless, he says Arroyo's pitches are "doo doo and slop".

Seriously, these guys not only are whiners but they're sore losers. And the Pujols-Glavine thing was before Rasmus was even around. That tells me a lot about the general tone DUI LaRussa sets for his clubhouse. He breeds punks.

MattyHo4Life
08-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Seriously, these guys not only are whiners but they're sore losers. And the Pujols-Glavine thing was before Rasmus was even around. That tells me a lot about the general tone DUI LaRussa sets for his clubhouse. He breeds punks.

So Rasmus says that Arroyo's pitches are "doo doo" and he is a whiner and a loser. Phillips says that the Cardinals are b****** and he hates them. Phillips is a hero that everyone agrees with. Yet, when the players that he was talking about try to defend himself, you think they have no right and they should just let it go?

I just don't get why so many of you think that what Rasmus and Lopez said is worse than what Phillips said. Once again... I don't agree with Rasmus saying what he did. I don't think Lopez said anything out of line. I think Phillips was way out of line.

Cedric
08-11-2010, 01:54 AM
So Rasmus says that Arroyo's pitches are "doo doo" and he is a whiner and a loser. Phillips says that the Cardinals are b****** and he hates them. Phillips is a hero that everyone agrees with. Yet, when the players that he was talking about try to defend himself, you think they have no right and they should just let it go?

I just don't get why so many of you think that what Rasmus and Lopez said is worse than what Phillips said. Once again... I don't agree with Rasmus saying what he did. I don't think Lopez said anything out of line. I think Phillips was way out of line.

The Cardinals are notorious for *****ing and moaning. I guess out of line is telling the truth?

Win or lose the Cardinals still have Felipe, LaRussa, and Carpenter. That's three grade A punks.

sabometrics
08-11-2010, 01:56 AM
To anyone who doesn't like this whole series of events:

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

The Operator
08-11-2010, 01:59 AM
MattyMo:

I didn't say they were losers, I said they were sore losers. And I stand by it. It's quite the move to criticize a pitcher you just went 0-4 against, that's for sure.

I don't like what Phillips said but it's not like he came out and talked trash about Carpenter's stuff last night after going 0-5. He made a general statement as to the attitude of The Cardinals in general, BEFORE the series, and yes, they are whiners.

From Smoltz last year and the whole Arroyo incident; to the Chris Carpenter slippery balls saga this year, all of LaRussa's waxing with the press, etc. etc. they do more than their fair share of complaining.

Cedric
08-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Both Cubs announcers were mouthing Cris Carpenter right now. Granted they are a little biased :)

But they just said the guy has some serious emotional problems. Absolutely ripping a teammate in front of the world yesterday and then trying to pick a fight with Dusty Baker and Scott Rolen tonight.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2010, 02:12 AM
In fairness to Brandon, he handled the presser afterwards very well. He reiterated over and over that the Reds lost and that was all that mattered.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 02:59 AM
For some reason, I don't own a Brandon Phillips jersey or t-shirt. I'll be buying one this weekend when I'm in Cincy. I've gained a ton of respect for Phillips these last couple days.

marcshoe
08-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I own a Phillips t-shirt, so I'm covered there. Wore it to church Sunday, even.

As to honest emotions--we root for the laundry. We, or at least I, can't process any of this without our biases and emotions leading the way. As much as i dislike Carpenter, I'd root for him in a minute if he was wearing a REds uniform.

And, to be honest, I love the city of St. Louis. I have several friends there.

mth123
08-11-2010, 03:49 AM
To anyone who doesn't like this whole series of events:

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

The most meaningful baseball of the millenium and all we get is a re-run of the Jerry Springer show. The baseball has been horrid. I'd prefer to do w/o the rest of it.

sabometrics
08-11-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm not going to worry about this "spoiling" the most meaningful series of the Millennium. That moniker will hopefully be toast by the end of the year anyways. Memories were made tonight, a rivalry got kicked into overdrive, and it's not a game I will soon forget.

They played poor baseball, yeah that sucks, but there is a hell of a lot more of that to be played over the last two months. What happened tonight will just enhance the excitement of the stretch run.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 04:00 AM
I posted this in another thread but it probably fits better in here. I was just reading a Brewers message board and found a thread about Phillips. Enjoy.

I've never minded Brandon Phillips, but now I like him even more.

Melvin, give them Gallardo, Braun, Fielder, Escobar, Lawrie, and Cain. The Brewers need this guy.

And there are plenty more.

Link to the Brewers message board:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/23099/t/Brandon-Phillips-Choice-Words---Cardinals-Latest-benches-cle.html?page=1

Ron Madden
08-11-2010, 04:26 AM
If we were to look at the whole soap opera of these past two days as unbiased bystanders we would see there are a lessons to be learned from this sorry episode. One of them might be to just shut up and play ball.

KronoRed
08-11-2010, 06:01 AM
The most meaningful baseball of the millenium and all we get is a re-run of the Jerry Springer show. The baseball has been horrid. I'd prefer to do w/o the rest of it.

Crap sells.

redsmetz
08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm of mixed thoughts on this matter. I don't necessarily disagree with what Phillips said, although I do question the need to have said it and the timing of it. No question, LaRussa's comments notwithstanding, they do a lot whining and complaining.

Phillips, in my opinion, is the last player we need to be mouthing off like that. It shows his continued immaturity, but he's not a player you want adding needless pressure to himself to "man" up at the plate. How many times have we seen him come up to bat in a important situation and say a prayer that he's not thinking about hit 2-3 HR's in that AB? Now he has to back it up with his play and he generally to fail in that department. He's a player who needs to be at the plate free of most worry and pressure. This ain't gonna do it.

That said, if you're going to yap about your chief opponent, learn the English language. Everyone knows that the term "b****s" does not allude to "b****ing & moaning" - it's a slang term for subordinate males in a prison situation. Add in a little of the big-time machismo baseball players are given to and a player like Molina is going to get in your face just to show he has some cajones. Choose your words better next time, Brandon.

I'm in the shut up and play the game camp. We have not comported ourselves well these last two games. Certainly they're only two games in the long race, they're still against the team we want to build a bigger lead against. On the big stage in the limelight, we have allowed ourselves to look like pretenders. Focus on the game on the field and swagger from that. Right now, he's eating crow and the whole team with him.

And to me, as a fan, baseball brawls are just exercises in stupidity. On a hot summer evening, the last thing I want is to see a bunch of grown men stand around pushing and shoving each other trying to look tough. I came to see the game, not this BS act.

MattyHo4Life
08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
For some reason, I don't own a Brandon Phillips jersey or t-shirt. I'll be buying one this weekend when I'm in Cincy. I've gained a ton of respect for Phillips these last couple days.

Haha....I know what you mean. I'm going out and buying myself a Yadi Molina jersey or t-shirt. What a pair we would make. :cool:

Caveat Emperor
08-11-2010, 09:24 AM
You must post there to know. Do you ever have anything to add to the conversation, or do you just spew BS towards other posters? Your act is beyond tired. I know the movie grumpy old men was based on your life, but you're taking it a bit too far.

You keep YOUR tired act up, and the movie based on your life will be "Posting Someplace Else."

Final warning you're gettnig from me. Emotional losses do not excuse poor behavior. If you cannot be civil and abide by the rules of the board following a loss, don't post.

durl
08-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm of mixed thoughts on this matter. I don't necessarily disagree with what Phillips said, although I do question the need to have said it and the timing of it. No question, LaRussa's comments notwithstanding, they do a lot whining and complaining.

Phillips, in my opinion, is the last player we need to be mouthing off like that. It shows his continued immaturity, but he's not a player you want adding needless pressure to himself to "man" up at the plate. How many times have we seen him come up to bat in a important situation and say a prayer that he's not thinking about hit 2-3 HR's in that AB? Now he has to back it up with his play and he generally to fail in that department. He's a player who needs to be at the plate free of most worry and pressure. This ain't gonna do it.

That said, if you're going to yap about your chief opponent, learn the English language. Everyone knows that the term "b****s" does not allude to "b****ing & moaning" - it's a slang term for subordinate males in a prison situation. Add in a little of the big-time machismo baseball players are given too and a player like Molina is going to getting in your face just to show he has some cajones. Choose your words better next time, Brandon.

I'm in the shut up and play the game. We have not comported ourselves well these last two games. Certainly they're only two games in the long race, they're still against the team we want to build a bigger lead against. On the big stage in the limelight, we have allowed ourselves to look like pretenders. Focus on the game on the field and swagger from that. Right now, he's eating crow and the whole team with him.

And to me, as a fan, baseball brawls are just exercises in stupidity. On a hot summer evening, the last thing I want is to see a bunch of grown men stand around pushing and shoving each other trying to look tough. I came to see the game, not this BS act.

My thoughts exactly. Great post.

Mario-Rijo
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Removing myself from the emotion of the last evening a bit I want to re-iterate my stance on the subject just to cleanse myself of it and move forward if for no other reason.

BP should have kept it to himself or at least been a bit more classy about how he chose his words. When you call a man a name like he called all of them and then go out and pretend to be cordial afterwards, well you get what they got.

Although BP should have handled things differently you can't help but feel what he is saying here. Let me illustrate for those who can't or don't want to comprehend it.

Smoltz, Carpenter and who knows who else had something to say about the balls last season, intimating that the Reds did something unseemly to them so they were at a disadvantage. You know because all things being equal they should have beat us.

The Reds response other than denying this was the case....crickets!

Rasmus crapping on our pitcher because he was at a disadvantage, you know because all things being equal they should have won.

From the Reds...crickets!

Aaron Miles talking smack about how he was gonna get a game winning hit against the team that was paying him (which he failed to do).

Reds: Crickets!

Lopez: Suggesting that the Reds weren't for real and they (Cards) were but just having a rough go of it.

The Reds: Crickets!!

Finally a Red spoke up and said he was tired of the Cards complaining. I happen to think him saying something after all of this was warranted, does anyone disagree?

Again think most of us can agree the words he chose were lacking class but that's all I have a problem with, well that and motivating the Cardinals. Although he was also a bit disingenuous saying hi to Molina but maybe he was trying to smooth things over at that point. Probably bad either way.

On the fight, we didn't need it and hate to see anyone get hurt. Had Carpenter kicked Cueto in the back I'd be furious and even more so if he had given Hanny a concussion in the process (I watched it over and over in slow mo he was kicking Carpenter and LaRue happened to be in the way at one point, he also nearly got Schumaker as well after he had some room to breathe).

All that said fights like these are inevitable in a competitive environment at times. Good can come of it, like for example they know not to do it again at least until they forget again how embarrassed they all were this last time. It might seem barbaric to those it is foreign to but it's really no big deal in the end and one almost always learns something positive from it, if he cares to. Been in a bunch of myself, nobody ever died or got mamed.

traderumor
08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I just want to go on record to say that thinking that what Phillips did was "just words" was demonstrated to be a wrong viewpoint of using coarse language to belittle another person or organization. "Sticks and stones" does not hold up. Our words matter and what we say may lead to physical consequences. Should the Cards have let it go? Yup. But it is wrong to think that running one's mouth and degrading other men will not result in physical retribution.

My 10, 10, and 8 year old son didn't want to watch the game after this occurred. They want to watch every inning of every game. That saddened me deeply and really made me think about these events and how both parties are so wrong, but esp. that "just words" is not the way it works.

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I just want to go on record to say that thinking that what Phillips did was "just words" was demonstrated to be a wrong viewpoint of using coarse language to belittle another person or organization. "Sticks and stones" does not hold up. Our words matter and what we say may lead to physical consequences. Should the Cards have let it go? Yup. But it is wrong to think that running one's mouth and degrading other men will not result in physical retribution.

My 10, 10, and 8 year old son didn't want to watch the game after this occurred. They want to watch every inning of every game. That saddened me deeply and really made me think about these events and how both parties are so wrong, but esp. that "just words" is not the way it works.

I agree completely. Sorry to hear about the way your boys reacted, but I completely understand.

I do hope that we end up with one positive outcome from all this. I hope that Brandon has learned a lesson about when and when not to speak out. I hope he realizes that if he had NOT spoken out, none of our players would be suspended, nobody would have fines levied against them and nobody would've been injured. I don't care who instigated the actual fight...the tempers would NOT have been as high (or high at all) had he not spoken out. Hopefully Baker or Rolen or somebody pulls him aside and points this out to him.

Hoosier Red
08-11-2010, 10:37 AM

That said, if you're going to yap about your chief opponent, learn the English language. Everyone knows that the term "b****s" does not allude to "b****ing & moaning" - it's a slang term for subordinate males in a prison situation. Add in a little of the big-time machismo baseball players are given to and a player like Molina is going to get in your face just to show he has some cajones. Choose your words better next time, Brandon.

I'm in the shut up and play the game camp. We have not comported ourselves well these last two games. Certainly they're only two games in the long race, they're still against the team we want to build a bigger lead against. On the big stage in the limelight, we have allowed ourselves to look like pretenders. Focus on the game on the field and swagger from that. Right now, he's eating crow and the whole team with him.

Metz- I disagree with a lot of things here. I'm apparently alone in this position, but Brandon's yapping actually does two things. 1) If they lose, everyone blames him so in a lot of ways that actually takes the pressure off of other guys. 2) It vents out a lot of frustration that the entire team has had dealing with the big kid on the block.

Phillips actually showed quite a bit of maturity in the game, he came up runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and instead of trying to swing for the fences, he did what the team needed. Put the ball on the right side and get a run home. It was a ground out, but a productive one :)

While I can understand a lot of people saying that there are consequences for saying the things that he said, the consequence should be a fastball in the ribs. On ESPN Radio this morning, all the hosts seem to agree that if Phillips had just gone up there and not done anything he would have taken a fastball to the ribs and the whole thing would have been done with. What I don't understand is, if that's the case what changed? So he came up and touched Molina, now that requires a different response?

Roy Tucker
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Bah.

I watched all this happen and I feel like saying "oh, this is all fun until someone gets hurt".

Brandon kicked over the hornet's nest at which time you really better be able to back up what you said with your game. And as far as I'm concerned, he didn't. He certainly had his chances to make a statement last night and he didn't.

That ballgame last night was pretty much of a trainwreck and now we're left with all this bad blood and feuding and possible suspensions and fines. The Reds have gotten away from playing the good baseball they've played all season. Not to mention we've royally ticked off our nearest competitor.

All of this shows exactly why you *don't* want to do this kind of stuff.

All the rest of this is like a fight in grade school. I feel like I'm watching my kids fight at which time I put on my best dad's voice and say "I don't care who started it, I just want it to stop".

Everyone, get off my lawn. Don't make me pull this car over.

nate
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
the consequence should be a fastball in the ribs.

And if the fastball to the ribs breaks a rib and we lose him or someone else in a pennant race?

Although, it would be a funny DL reading:

B. Phillips, 15-day - tact deficiency

MattyHo4Life
08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
MattyMo:

I didn't say they were losers, I said they were sore losers. And I stand by it. It's quite the move to criticize a pitcher you just went 0-4 against, that's for sure.

Ok..I gotcha bro. I actually understood what you meant the first time. I was a little tired when I wrote that post and I forgot the sore part, but I know what you mean. Not really disagreeing with the "sore loser" part in that instance either.

redsmetz
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Metz- I disagree with a lot of things here. I'm apparently alone in this position, but Brandon's yapping actually does two things. 1) If they lose, everyone blames him so in a lot of ways that actually takes the pressure off of other guys. 2) It vents out a lot of frustration that the entire team has had dealing with the big kid on the block.

Phillips actually showed quite a bit of maturity in the game, he came up runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and instead of trying to swing for the fences, he did what the team needed. Put the ball on the right side and get a run home. It was a ground out, but a productive one :)

While I can understand a lot of people saying that there are consequences for saying the things that he said, the consequence should be a fastball in the ribs. On ESPN Radio this morning, all the hosts seem to agree that if Phillips had just gone up there and not done anything he would have taken a fastball to the ribs and the whole thing would have been done with. What I don't understand is, if that's the case what changed? So he came up and touched Molina, now that requires a different response?

Actually you're right about Phillips AB's. That part didn't occur. I don't disagree with saying something (although I seem to say otherwise in my earlier post). Say it, say it diplomatically, not in sugar coated horse manure, but just straight up, "they don't respect us, we're playing well and they don't need to be making excuses for us competing with them this year," or some such point.

I think Herzog is right to some degree. Our guys have not been here before, for the most part. Someone needs to get the club focused and back to playing the way we have. We essentially let the Cards and the hype dictate our game.

And I don't condone for one minute what Molina did. I can say this, that if Phillips has some AB ritual of tapping the ump, tapping the catcher with his bat; frankly don't be so stupid as to do that when you've basically called your opponents a name. It's part and parcel of Phillips still not having matured completely. But the Cards were clear out of line. No question a fastball in the ribs probably would have taken care of things (and given us a base runner!).

Hoosier Red
08-11-2010, 12:18 PM
And if the fastball to the ribs breaks a rib and we lose him or someone else in a pennant race?

Although, it would be a funny DL reading:

B. Phillips, 15-day - tact deficiency

I'm not saying it would have been ideal for the Reds, just saying if it happened no one would have said boo.

Brandon said what he said, so in my opinion there are two logical responses:
1) Fastball to the ribs. Both pitchers would have been warned, but everyone would have thought "yeah that's about what he deserves."
2) Shut up and play baseball and beat the Reds on the field. All the advantages of #1, plus ya know professional and not giving up a baserunner.

The fact that Brandon decided to do what he always does (tapping the catcher's shin guards) shouldn't change that.

nate
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm not saying it would have been ideal for the Reds, just saying if it happened no one would have said boo.

Brandon said what he said, so in my opinion there are two logical responses:
1) Fastball to the ribs. Both pitchers would have been warned, but everyone would have thought "yeah that's about what he deserves."
2) Shut up and play baseball and beat the Reds on the field. All the advantages of #1, plus ya know professional and not giving up a baserunner.

The fact that Brandon decided to do what he always does (tapping the catcher's shin guards) shouldn't change that.

Maybe not "boo," but I'm sure some words with one more letter than "boo" would be uttered.

:cool:

Hoosier Red
08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe not "boo," but I'm sure some words with one more letter than "boo" would be uttered.

I don't know Nate, in the Pirates game, where it was clear that Leake wasn't trying to hit McCutchen, the Pirates came back and hit him with a pitch and the reaction was pretty muted.

nate
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't know Nate, in the Pirates game, where it was clear that Leake wasn't trying to hit McCutchen, the Pirates came back and hit him with a pitch and the reaction was pretty muted.

Dude, it's the Pirates.

Hoosier Red
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
True. True. But I'd think if in a situation where the pitcher had no real intent he got drilled for it and people didn't really complain(there was some on Redszone but not a lot) that if Brandon got hit between the numbers yesterday people wouldn't have complained.

I know I wouldn't have.

nate
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
True. True. But I'd think if in a situation where the pitcher had no real intent he got drilled for it and people didn't really complain(there was some on Redszone but not a lot) that if Brandon got hit between the numbers yesterday people wouldn't have complained.

I know I wouldn't have.

I bet someone from the Cards would've gotten drilled in that case.

Then there would've been complaints.

TeamBoone
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Per the interview with Hal McCoy on Real Reds just a few minutes ago, the only people present when Brandon was making his now infamous remarks was Hal himself and Jim Day. So, the journalist is the one who made them public. Perhaps they weren't meant to be made public.

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Per the interview with Hal McCoy on Real Reds just a few minutes ago, the only people present when Brandon was making his now infamous remarks was Hal himself and Jim Day. So, the journalist is the one who made them public. Perhaps they weren't meant to be made public.

But didn't Hal mention that Brandon actually made a point of seeking out Hal to tell him this?

TeamBoone
08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
They acted the way people would want the Reds to act if the Cardinals said that about the Reds.

Some Cardinals have said alot of stuff about the Reds, and they have never retaliated. Doesn't mean they weren't paying attention... obviously.

TeamBoone
08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
But didn't Hal mention that Brandon actually made a point of seeking out Hal to tell him this?

He didn't say he sought him out. He said he was walking by Brandon's locker, and Brandon put his hand on his shoulder and started talking.

pedro
08-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I think Brandon ought to keep his mouth shut until he or the Reds have actually proven something on the field. Last time I checked the Cardinals have owned the Reds and the NL central for the better part of a decade.

I hate trash talk.

Chip R
08-11-2010, 05:44 PM

If Brandon didn't want his remarks made public, he would have told them that what he said was off the record.