PDA

View Full Version : Chris Carpenter: What a great guy

jmcclain19
08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I think Carpenter has taken over the mantle of MLB player I dislike the most.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100809&content_id=13255756&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

Carp voices displeasure to Ryan over gaffe
Ace upset after waiting on shortstop to take field, get right glove

Shortstop Brendan Ryan hadn't taken his position yet, and Carpenter was ready to pitch. Worse yet, when Ryan finally made it to his position, he didn't have the right glove, so another pause was required so he could get the proper equipment.

It didn't sit well with the famously fiery Carpenter, who stared darts at Ryan's spot as he waited. The two retreated into the dugout tunnel after the inning ended, where Carpenter made it clear that he was none too pleased with the misstep.

Some more background from this year. I attended a Dbacks/Cards game earlier in the year. During that game, Edwin Jackson hit Carpenter while he was batting, and Chris was furious, letting off a huge amount of steam that he did not appreciate getting hit. The benches started to clear but nothing happened and finally order was restored with Carpenter taking 1st base.

The very next batter hit a slow roller to 2B. Carpenter was out by at least four steps, but still proceeded to take out Stephen Drew with a very dirty high slide. Drew of course, did not appreciate it and let him know by getting in his face about it.

The benches then cleared for real, and the guys from the bullpen came hustling out and some words were exchanged but no actual fighting took place.

While that was going on. Carpenter slunked out of the crowd, went to the dugout, got his glove, went back to the mound, then proceeded to bark at the umpires to clear the field so he could get started with the next inning. All from a fracas he started. Yeah I don't like that guy.

The Operator
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
He's easily the most dislikable player in baseball.

The dude's either on some serious PED's and that's causing his ridiculous outbursts, or he's just genuinely a psychotic lunatic.

Either way, reminds me a lot of a guy like Joey Porter.

WMR
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
He needs a serious butt whoopin' and then an even more serious daily psychotropic drug regimen.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
It seems like Carp has been doing things like that more this season than I ever remember him doing in the past.

smith288
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
He seems like a Grade-A a-hole.

redsfan30
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
He is such a baby.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Don't forget the incident where Chris Carpenter screamed at Carlos Lee despite Lee doing absolutely nothing wrong.

"I wasn't trying to show him up," Lee said. "I never looked at him. I got [mad] because I got a pitch to hit and I popped it up. I was mad at myself. I don't know what he said to me, but he said something and was looking at me, staring at me. For what?"

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100513&content_id=10024246&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

Of course LaRussa put the blame on Lee.

The Operator
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
It seems like Carp has been doing things like that more this season than I ever remember him doing in the past.

Yea. He's always kinda been like that but it seems like he's in a whole new gear this year.

Don't get me wrong - he's the type of guy you love if he's wearing your team's uniform, but man is he annoying as an opposing fan.

I never liked Roy Oswalt due to his domination of The Reds - but it was for that only. To my knowledge RoyO never did anything that deserved over the top hatred. But Carpenter just rubs me so many wrong ways.

Big Klu
08-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Carpenter vs. Big Z in a no-holds barred cage match.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Well...I remember that game, and I couldn't understand why Carpenter started yelling at Lee. It didn't make much sense, but I don't know what was said on the field either.

The Operator
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Carpenter vs. Big Z in a no-holds barred cage match.

Oh mercy, that would be the beating of a lifetime. Priss is the better pitcher hands down, but Big Z. world destroy him in a fight. IMO.

Unassisted
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
If you've all learned nothing else this week, you should have learned that the Cardinal you despise this year could be the Red that Jocketty picks up next year. ;)

VR
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Roid. Rage.

Cyclone792
08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Reds missed a golden opportunity last night to put one in Carpenter's earflap.

Here's the Edwin Jackson highlight: http://mlbpaa.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100421&content_id=9480670&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Hoosier Red
08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Well...I remember that game, and I couldn't understand why Carpenter started yelling at Lee. It didn't make much sense, but I don't know what was said on the field either.

This is not to suggest that his performance is falling off a cliff. Lord knows he has continued to own the Reds. But could it be that a guy who is pretty tightly wound anyway is looking towards the closing of his own personal "window" and is taking out some frustration on teammates. Maybe if his fastball isn't as consistently fast, or what have you and he just is more irritable because of it?

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
This is not to suggest that his performance is falling off a cliff. Lord knows he has continued to own the Reds. But could it be that a guy who is pretty tightly wound anyway is looking towards the closing of his own personal "window" and is taking out some frustration on teammates. Maybe if his fastball isn't as consistently fast, or what have you and he just is more irritable because of it?

You might be onto something there. I remember Carpenter making a statement at the All Star game that with the way he pitched in the first half of the season, that he considered himself the worst pitcher in baseball. I don't think I quoted him verbatum or anything, but he said something like that. It seems odd coming from an All Star. After the All Star Break, Carpenter has been one of the best pitchers in baseball. I do think that first half wasn't up to the standards that he sets for himself. He wants to pitch a shut out every game, and he probably gets frustrated if he can't do that every game. That might be why he has shown more frustration this year. It's just a guess... I don't know. lol

traderumor
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
You might be onto something there. I remember Carpenter making a statement at the All Star game that with the way he pitched in the first half of the season, that he considered himself the worst pitcher in baseball. I don't think I quoted him verbatum or anything, but he said something like that. It seems odd coming from an All Star. After the All Star Break, Carpenter has been one of the best pitchers in baseball. I do think that first half wasn't up to the standards that he sets for himself. He wants to pitch a shut out every game, and he probably gets frustrated if he can't do that every game. That might be why he has shown more frustration this year. It's just a guess... I don't know. lolOCD His ritual is finding lame excuses (slippery balls) or scapegoats (Lee, Lopez, Ryan) when he does poorly.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
OCD His ritual is finding lame excuses (slippery balls) or scapegoats (Lee, Lopez, Ryan) when he does poorly.

Well... it was nice of the Reds to make sure that Carpenter didn't have slippery balls this trip. lol

Redsfan320
08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Love the new sig, MattyMo. You find a way to be a Cards fan, and yet still be friendly (and funny) to Reds fans. :thumbup:

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Haha thanks :) Well... the Reds ARE my 2nd favorite team. I'll root for them anytime it doesn't affect the Cards. lol I like coming here though, because it's the best baseball discussion board I've ever found. Not to mention... I used to be a Reds fan long ago before I joined the Dark Side. Just call me Darth Vader! lol

WMR
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't understand switching allegiances... I'm stuck with "MY" teams till death, like it or not.

The Operator
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't understand switching allegiances... I'm stuck with "MY" teams till death, like it or not.

Yea, I'm not sure how that happens. There are times when I loathe The Reds and The Bengals alike, but it's a sports marriage and I'm a death till you part kinda guy. I couldn't imagine rooting for a team other than The Reds or Bengals.

The only possible way I could see it happening would be if I relocated acros the country and suddenly I had a new "home team" that was on TV every night, but I think they'd still take a back seat to The Reds. I'm just wired that way. I could certainly never be anything resembling a fan of an NL Central team.

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Depends on how long ago the switch happened -- in the pre-cable / pre-internet era, I could see switching to follow the "home" team if you relocated. Being a displaced fan is light-years easier today than it was 15-20 years ago thanks to wonderful innovations like the internet, extra-innings / Sunday Ticket, and mobile smartphones.

Rojo
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Carp's vying for my Jeff Juden prize.

bucksfan2
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't really care about Carpenter one way or another. He may be a first class jerk, but he is one heck of a pitcher. I would have loved to have him as a Red during his career. I could care less about a pitcher getting mad a SS who can't find his glove to start a baseball game. Don't they teach you that kind of stuff in tee ball?

westofyou
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Depends on how long ago the switch happened -- in the pre-cable / pre-internet era, I could see switching to follow the "home" team if you relocated. Being a displaced fan is light-years easier today than it was 15-20 years ago thanks to wonderful innovations like the internet, extra-innings / Sunday Ticket, and mobile smartphones.

Sorry, I came to the dance with my team and I'll leave with them.

I've followed my teams from afar for 66% of my life, most of it before I could watch them on tv every day, it was hard, but it was my team, I owed it to myself not to become enamored with Roger Craig and Humm baby or The Bash Brothers, doesn't mean I didn't flirt with them, I just never kissed them on the mouth.

TheNext44
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

I moved to St. Louis from Dayton in 1977. Never once, even in 1982, when the Cards won the Series and the Reds were the worst team in baseball did I ever consider switching teams. And the only time I had a chance to see the Reds was when they played the Cards, or when they were on WGN or TBS.

I did root for the Cards as my second favorite team until they were in the same division, but not anymore.

traderumor
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't really care about Carpenter one way or another. He may be a first class jerk, but he is one heck of a pitcher. I would have loved to have him as a Red during his career. I could care less about a pitcher getting mad a SS who can't find his glove to start a baseball game. Don't they teach you that kind of stuff in tee ball?Sure, but then they also let the players leave the field to go potty in t-ball. I can only imagine Crissy's reaction to that.

bucksfan2
08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Sure, but then they also let the players leave the field to go potty in t-ball. I can only imagine Crissy's reaction to that.

Good thing Manny isn't one of his team mates.

MattyHo4Life
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Well...I was born a Reds fan... I chose to be a Cardinals fan. When I moved back to Ohio... I tried rooting for the Reds and watching Reds games, but I just couldn't do it. I could watch Reds games when the Cardinals weren't playing. I shelled out the bucks to get mlb Extra Innings just so I could watch the Cardinals from Ohio. My family are all Reds fans, but should I be forced to root for a team just because I was too young to decide who to root for. Once I became an Adult...that's when I turned to the Dark Side. The Reds are still my 2nd favorite team though. :)

nate
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I came to the dance with my team and I'll leave with them.

I've followed my teams from afar for 66% of my life, most of it before I could watch them on tv every day, it was hard, but it was my team, I owed it to myself not to become enamored with Roger Craig and Humm baby or The Bash Brothers, doesn't mean I didn't flirt with them, I just never kissed them on the mouth.

Same. With my variables being:

66%: 100%
Roger Craig: Gene Mauch, Tommy Lasorda
The Bash Brothers: "Honk if you're carrying Steve Garvey's baby!"

RedsManRick
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Put me in the "if you want to get back at a guy, humble him on the field" crowd. Hit a few line drives at him or deposit 3 or 4 pitches over the fence. But throwing at people just puts your best players at risk. I don't want Votto or Phillips taking a pitch to the head because one of our pitchers wanted to intimidate Carpenter.

_Sir_Charles_
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
nm

Somebody already posted the Edwin Jackson/Priss video.

WMR
08-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Carpenter and LaRussa were truly born for one another.

marcshoe
08-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Roid. Rage.

While it's not fair to assume that, I have to admit that the first guy I thought of was the "fiery competitor' Kevin Brown.

If I were CC, I'd be afraid to get in the middle of a brawl too. Who knows where all the punches would come from in the fog of war.

"Brendon, why are you hitting me? I'm on your team!!!"

GAC
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't really care about Carpenter one way or another. He may be a first class jerk, but he is one heck of a pitcher.

Baseball history is filled with these types of players. Especially among the greats. The game probably wouldn't be much fun without them. Two of my favorite all-time players are Cobb and Rose. And Ty was such a lovable cuss on and off the field.

Professional athletes are no different then the rest of us when it comes to character flaws and personalities. They're just magnified because they're in the spot light. I've worked with some people that would put Carpenter to shame.

Cyclone792
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Baseball history is filled with these types of players. Especially among the greats. The game probably wouldn't be much fun without them. Two of my favorite all-time players are Cobb and Rose. And Ty was such a lovable cuss on and off the field.

Cobb would have dragged a bunt down the first base line and then spiked Carpenter on his way down to first base.

And yes, I'd be cool with that too if you don't want to go the beanball route. ;)

traderumor
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Professional athletes are no different then the rest of us when it comes to character flaws and personalities. They're just magnified because they're in the spot light. I've worked with some people that would put Carpenter to shame.I sometimes forget how our family used to revel at Pete getting booed everywhere he went, glad that he was our guy getting booed and that it was because he was good and played hardnosed ball.

With that said, I still don't like Crissy's prima donna act.

GAC
08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
With that said, I still don't like Crissy's prima donna act.

Not saying anyone has to like it. I certainly don't. But IMO, that's not justification to want to inflict physical harm/injury on the guy or any ballplayer.

They're out there to win ballgames, not humanitarian awards.

traderumor
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Not saying anyone has to like it. I certainly don't. But IMO, that's not justification to want to inflict physical harm/injury on the guy or any ballplayer.

They're out there to win ballgames, not humanitarian awards.I've not promoted purposely beanballing anyone. My opinion is that a pitcher has a right to throw high inside cheese to back anyone off the plate. If the guy can't get out of the way, he gets his base. Pitching inside can send the same message.

RFS62
08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Watching precious little Chrissie berate his own teammate reminds me of Neidermeyer tuning up Flounder in Animal House.

Neidermeyerer's fate in that film in the final credits.....shot by his own men in Viet Nam.

Sounds about right.