PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Dispatch: Did Brandon Phillips just win NL Central for Cardinals?

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_34df8cce-a492-11df-8e1c-00127992bc8b.html

Comical. Pretty representative of St. Louis as a whole.

If you need motivation to win the NL Central, there's something wrong with your team to begin with.

bshall2105
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Didn't Felipe Lopez talk a while back about how the Reds were not going to be able to keep up once the Cardinals got hot. Did that comment win the Reds the Central?

Vottomatic
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I remember earlier in the season when Poopholes got mad because Masset punched his fist in the air after a big out.

The next game, Poopholes got walked with bases loaded. When he got to first, he punched his fist in the air.

One word:

hypocrite

GIDP
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I didnt realize that the St. Louis papers hired Cardinals PR firms.

sivman17
08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I didn't realize that a team wins a division because of what an opponent says about them.

Especially when what he says is true.

redsfandoug
08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I wonder when Phillips is going to start backing up his words with his play in this series.

ThornWithin81
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I didnt realize that the St. Louis papers hired Cardinals PR firms.

Seriously, what a worthless article.

Seņor Rojo
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I wonder when Phillips is going to start backing up his words with his play in this series.

Couldn't agree more. Aside from his RBI ground out tonight, he's been all talk. Brandon is admittedly my favorite player because he's really good...when he wants to be. Hopefully this series will put a fire in him and the Reds team as a whole.

redsfandoug
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Like they say, "If you're going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk."

KingCarpenter
08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Brandon Phillips just went up to the sleeping dragon and smacked it with a twig.

And that sleeping dragon has been eating him alive ever since.

paintmered
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Brandon Phillips just went up to the sleeping dragon and smacked it with a twig.

If you are here to thump your chest, you won't be here for long. This is your only warning.

Maker_84
08-10-2010, 10:57 PM
he didn't lose the central. The St louis Cards just took it from the Reds

Griffey012
08-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I actually think the central is currently being urinated down the legs of the Reds. What an absolutely pitiful display of baseball that was tonight. Dusty, Rolen, OCab, and company better have one heck of a post game or pre game speech tonight or tomorrow to get guys to forget about tonight and be ready for tomorrow.

Maker_84
08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I actually think the central is currently being urinated down the legs of the Reds. What an absolutely pitiful display of baseball that was tonight. Dusty, Rolen, OCab, and company better have one heck of a post game or pre game speech tonight or tomorrow to get guys to forget about tonight and be ready for tomorrow.

+1

BurgervilleBuck
08-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Actually, I hope Rolen slaps Phillips around a bit for his behavior.

sivman17
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
he didn't lose the central. The St louis Cards just took it from the Reds

Still tied for first.

Still 48 games left.

redsfan_12
08-11-2010, 12:08 AM

ditto.

Griffey012
08-11-2010, 12:10 AM

This.

LeDoux
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Phillips did raise the stakes in this last series with his comments. If I were his teammate, I would be irritated at him for doing so without considering the consequences for the whole club. A dissapointing series sweep has been made a crushing series sweep.

GIDP
08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Phillips did raise the stakes in this last series with his comments. If I were his teammate, I would be irritated at him for doing so without considering the consequences for the whole club. A dissapointing series sweep has been made a crushing series sweep.

Yea his team mates should be ticked that they sucked all series. If only Phillips wouldnt had said something they probably would have got a ton of base hits.

Seriously if thats something they Reds are thinking in the dugout they are doomed.

mckbearcat48
08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
St. Louis Post Dispatch is to Baseball Reporting what the National Enquirer is to World News.

Vottomatic
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
St. Louis Post Dispatch is to Baseball Reporting what the National Enquirer is to World News.

I agree. And not just because of this story. Their stories are always pathetic.

lukethedrifter
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Did you not read the responses? They pretty much to a man said "No" to the question.

Eh, who needs real information before forming responses anyway?

mckbearcat48
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
The radio coverage of the Cardinals is much, much better.

AintlifeGrande
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
The radio coverage of the Cardinals is much, much better.

I hope so,because Al and Dan are beyond horrible.

mckbearcat48
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Did you not read the responses? They pretty much to a man said "No" to the question.

In that, you are correct sir...just wondering why they ran the story in the first place.

texasdave
08-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Eh, it's baseball. Not very important in the grand scheme of things. If a person wants to make up his mind about a baseball article based on the title alone, no big deal.

LeDoux
08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Yea his team mates should be ticked that they sucked all series. If only Phillips wouldnt had said something they probably would have got a ton of base hits.

Seriously if thats something they Reds are thinking in the dugout they are doomed.

I'm afraid you are missing the point.

GrandSlamCards
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Agreed 100%

Vottomatic
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Agreed 100%

Gee whiz......lookie........another Card fan trolling Redszone. I'm totally shocked.

mu4103
08-11-2010, 11:13 PM
No, I thought what he said was awesome (not to mention true). The Cards can sweep a series now, who cares. The Reds are a game back. I can't wait to see them play again. Also, Dusty Baker going after Larussa was awesome. I have a new found respect for Dusty (except for his line-ups). I would have loved to see him and LaRussa really go at it. LaRussa would have been like ... "I will send my best right handed hitter against large black men to fight for me." The Reds can't let this series get them down. I honestly don't think they are as talented as the Cardinals, but they have played over my expectations all year, so keep it up.

10xWSChamps
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM
From a purely motivational standpoint the Reds had more to prove then the Cardinals in this series (at least before Phillips made his comments). But the Cardinals obviously had more to lose in the standings

The Reds being one game back, in the grand scheme of things, isn't bad. But if the Cardinals got swept we would have been five games back. Not totally insurmountable but that would have been a tall hill for the Cardinals to climb.

As I said before this series started, the 6 games we had left (3 at this point) will be what decides this division. We've been within about 2 games of each other for over two months and I don't see either team gaining more then a few games.

Luckily for the Cardinals, the next series with the Reds is at home where the Cardinals have been very good. I imagine LaRussa and Duncan will be trying to stack the rotation in the same fashion.

mu4103
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
No, I thought what he said was awesome (not to mention true). The Cards can sweep a series now, who cares. The Reds are a game back. I can't wait to see them play again. Also, Dusty Baker going after Larussa was awesome. I have a new found respect for Dusty (except for his line-ups). I would have loved to see him and LaRussa really go at it. LaRussa would have been like ... "I will send my best right handed hitter against large black men to fight for me." The Reds can't let this series get them down. I honestly don't think they are as talented as the Cardinals, but they have played over my expectations all year, so keep it up.

One more thing, despite that the Reds lost, one thing they did was wake the Cardinals up (in a good way for the Reds). The Cardinals probably assumed that they would eventually win some games, the Reds would lose some and the Cards would win the division. The Reds showed, in my opinion, that they are here to fight!