PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Interviews...

RedsMan3203
08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Priss is crying...

Tony LaRussa is yelling...

I'm still trying to figure HOW Priss got kicked in the back when he was up against the net?

Come'on!

Tony Cloninger
08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Cueto got him with his cleats. He is going to pay some fines for that one.

Well...the Reds-Mets 1973 brawl had Pedro eating a hat...and then biting a Pirate in 1974.

Now we got Cueto.

HeatherC1212
08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Carpenter was pure crap during that interview. He was UP AGAINST THE FENCE AND WALL...Cueto was off to his right. Cueto eventually managed to get himself out of the scrum (he was kicking but he couldn't get anyone off him any other way IMO) but he never touched Carpenter. He could have gotten LaRue by accident but I don't think he was trying to hurt anyone. I think he was trying not to be dwarfed by the scrum. He probably will pay the price for it but I really don't think he was trying to hurt anyone.

CTA513
08-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Priss is crying...

Tony LaRussa is yelling...

I'm still trying to figure HOW Priss got kicked in the back when he was up against the net?

Come'on!

Cueto was near him and kicking people so he probably kicked him unless someone else kicked him when they were on the ground for a little bit.

RedsMan3203
08-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Cueto was near him - but Carp saying that he got it in the back... Doesn't make sense...

sabometrics
08-10-2010, 11:20 PM
My dad said Cueto nearly kicked LaRue in the face. Can this be confirmed? I was two aisles over selling but had turned around thinking the scrum was over, then the next thing I knew they were all against the wall/netting.

guttle11
08-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Anything that happened to Carpenter is his own fault. The whole thing was done except for the managers arguing, until he decided to be tough with a guy 30 years older than him and tried to get in Dusty's face. That obviously set Rolen and Votto off and the whole thing spilled over to the screen.

But seriously, how tough is Rolen? He single handily took like 5 people into the net thanks to his death grip on Priss's shoulders. Beast mode.

RedsMan3203
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
My dad said Cueto nearly kicked LaRue in the face. Can this be confirmed? I was two aisles over selling but had turned around thinking the scrum was over, then the next thing I knew they were all against the wall/netting.

Everyone is saying it - But I had trouble finding a Cardinals jersey near Cueto during the scrum... Other than Carp that was off to his left....

Cueto was kicking and moving (trying to get out of it) so if LaRue was on his knees then maybe...

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 11:24 PM

LaRue did get kicked in the face and apparently has a concussion. I don't think it was really intentional as much as Cueto was trying to defend himself as he was being pushed on top of the wall. LaRue was in front of Cueto so he was in position and got kicked. Carpenter also claimed he was kicked even though he was completely off to the left side of Cueto.

REDblooded
08-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Carpenter was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time? Isn't he usually on the DL?

Tony Cloninger
08-10-2010, 11:25 PM
He was kicking at something......and Crissy ....made gestures towards his back.

Redsfan320
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Carpenter is a complete piece of work. As is LaRussa. Wow. Wasn't the brightest thing for BP to do to attempt to communicate with Molina, but man...

RedsMan3203
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
A few twit updates...

johnfayman

RT @miklasz: OK, here's Carpenter going off after the game; he's ticked that Cueto was kicking at the Cardinals.

johnfayman

RT @miklasz: Carp (2) " I wasn’t throwing any punches. And we’ve got some guy kicking me and kicking my backup catcher in the face."

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I love how the national media just runs with the Cardinals version of events. Again from ESPN. You can see this all leading to a long suspension for Cueto:

Molina hit a solo homer and a sacrifice fly off Johnny Cueto (11-3), who got shoved against the backstop screen and furiously kicked several Cardinals during the altercation. Both managers were ejected, but no players.

VR
08-10-2010, 11:32 PM
So, let me get this straight. The Cards were whining and complaining (translation of Phillips terms), because Phillips called them whiners and complainers? Huh, go figure.

There were 3 instigators during the fracas. Molina, LaRussa, and Carpenter. The film doesn't lie.....it will be interesting to see how MLB see this one, or should I say, doesn't see this one.

mbgrayson
08-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I taped the game and just watched in slow motion. I do think Cueto kicked LaRue and Prissy, but only to try to keep from being crushed against the wall.

I think Molina did plenty to get thing going, as did Phillips. Rolen also is at some risk because he aggressively pushed Prissy, and with the scrum following and Larue between them, the whole group goes into the wall. That may get blamed on Rolen as well as Priss.

The bottom line is that having watched this carefully, in slow-mo, HD, its still hard to sort out.

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 11:37 PM
The way this is headed unless there is other video we have not seen I think several players get fined and the one player I think headed toward a suspension is probably Cueto and it could be lengthy with a player getting kicked in the face.

Slyder
08-10-2010, 11:40 PM
The way this is headed unless there is other video we have not seen I think several players get fined and the one player I think headed toward a suspension is probably Cueto and it could be lengthy with a player getting kicked in the face.

Cueto's gotta defend himself. He cant just let the melee swarm him under. It sucks LaRue got kicked in the face but if Priss didnt get things escalated LaRue wouldnt have been in a position to get kicked in the face.

guttle11
08-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I taped the game and just watched in slow motion. I do think Cueto kicked LaRue and Prissy, but only to try to keep from being crushed against the wall.

I think Molina did plenty to get thing going, as did Phillips. Rolen also is at some risk because he aggressively pushed Prissy, and with the scrum following and Larue between them, the whole group goes into the wall. That may get blamed on Rolen as well as Priss.

The bottom line is that having watched this carefully, in slow-mo, HD, its still hard to sort out.

The whole thing is very simple. Molina and Phillips were trying to prove they wouldn't back down. Blah, blah, blah. The managers got heated and as Edmonds and the umpire separated them, Prissy got tough and attempted to get in Dusty's face to say something. Rolen realized it and took offense to a huge dude trying to pick on an old man, and shoved Priss and 3 others all the way to the screen. Cueto got pinned, panicked, and started kicking people to get loose.

Watch the video 100 times and you'll see it every single time. Not much blame to throw around, everyone was chippy, looking for something to prove.

It is what it is. Boys being boys, not wanting to back down.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-10-2010, 11:41 PM
So we could come out of this series with a sweep and a loss of Cueto.

But it's only 3/162, right?

Nightmare.

HeatherC1212
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
OK, I've seen this a few times now and I can't be the only one who saw a grey jersey or two being the primary people shoving that scrum into the screen. Rolen seemed to be on the wrong side of it to be pushing towards the screen (he seemed more to the side of the pushing) but maybe I'm not seeing it right. I swear it looks like at least one grey jersey doing the shoving though.

guttle11
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM

Nightmare.

You think Cueto will get suspended more than 5 games? I don't, if he's even suspended. My guess is 5, appealed, brought down to 4. Won't even miss a start.

A sweep would put the Reds one game down. They've been a game down before. They've come back from being swept before. This series won't define the season, no matter what happens tomorrow.

nemesis
08-10-2010, 11:48 PM
You think Cueto will get suspended more than 5 games? I don't, if he's even suspended. My guess is 5, appealed, brought down to 4. Won't even miss a start.

A sweep would put the Reds one game down. They've been a game down before. They've come back from being swept before. This series won't define the season, no matter what happens tomorrow.

Correct because the Pirates, Cubs, Astros and Brewers are all still just that. It does make the West coast trip much more looming though.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2010, 11:50 PM
For the life of me I cannot see Cueto close to Carpenter. If he kicked Jason, it was hidden or Jason was on the ground. Regardless of his intentions, he's going to be fined and suspended tomorrow. And that will hurt us. All for Brandon spouting off and giving the Cardinals locker room material. Larussa is so good at playing this stuff for all it;s worth. And if Cueto is suspended, we are in trouble.

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 11:52 PM

If it is starter it will be long enough that he will miss a start. If they take into consideration he was defending himself probably only 5 games (1 start). They could even go as far as 2 starts.

HeatherC1212
08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Random FYI: The idiots, er, guys on Baseball Tonight don't seem to think anyone will be suspended after everything because there were too many people involved in it. Interesting to hear that side of the whole thing and for the record, ESPN is now forbidden in my house for the next two days. I can only handle them sticking up for the Cardinals so many times. :eek:

Reds Fanatic
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Random FYI: The idiots, er, guys on Baseball Tonight don't seem to think anyone will be suspended after everything because there were too many people involved in it. Interesting to hear that side of the whole thing and for the record, ESPN is now forbidden in my house for the next two days. I can only handle them sticking up for the Cardinals so many times. :eek:

I have not seen BBTN but the web site stories on this are ridiculously one sided. Also their headline says the Cards took over 1st place tonight. Funny because I could swear we are still tied.

mbgrayson
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
For the life of me I cannot see Cueto close to Carpenter. If he kicked Jason, it was hidden or Jason was on the ground. Regardless of his intentions, he's going to be fined and suspended tomorrow. And that will hurt us. All for Brandon spouting off and giving the Cardinals locker room material. Larussa is so good at playing this stuff for all it;s worth. And if Cueto is suspended, we are in trouble.

At one point, I saw Cueto and Carpenter side by side against the wall, with Cueto Kicking. I didn't see him get Larue, but the crowd pushed Carpenter over Cueto, and he was kicking.

In all honesty, if I was the Commissioner, I would not give Cueto any major punishment. My guess is Molina, Phillips, Rolen, Cueto, and Carpenter all get a couple days off.

Larue could be on the DL with his concussion, if it really is a concussion.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
You think Cueto will get suspended more than 5 games?

If it is found that he indeed knowingly kicked someone in the head (with his cleats), and gave that person a concussion, then, yeah, I think he'll get more than 5 games.

RedsMan3203
08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Larue could be on the DL with his concussion, if it really is a concussion.

Doubt it is, LaRussa probably trying to buy a few more games on Cueto.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Random FYI: The idiots, er, guys on Baseball Tonight don't seem to think anyone will be suspended after everything because there were too many people involved in it. Interesting to hear that side of the whole thing and for the record, ESPN is now forbidden in my house for the next two days. I can only handle them sticking up for the Cardinals so many times. :eek:Two of us, Heather. I'[m watching the MLB network, but I've been doing that all season. Better coverage and no attitude.

If you're not the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Twins or Rays, you don't exist on ESPN.

HeatherC1212
08-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Two of us, Heather. I'[m watching the MLB network, but I've been doing that all season. Better coverage and no attitude.

If you're not the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Twins or Rays, you don't exist on ESPN.

I don't have MLB Network :( but if anyone hears what Larkin, Casey, or any of those guys have to say about all this I would LOVE to hear about it. I bet they have some interesting comments. :eek:

sabometrics
08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
The thing I don't understand is BBTN saying that this "started" last night with Phillips comments.

This whole thing has been building to this point starting from last season. When LaRussa accused Arroyo of putting a foreign substance on the ball. When John Smoltz and LaRussa whined after the game on and on about the umpiring. Every time Carpenter pitches he complains about something, be it the balls, or even his own players. There was a long series of events that lead up to Brandon's comments, but we don't hear about that.

The Operator
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
I really don't see the rest of the baseball world as far as fans go taking the Cards side on this one.

Plenty of teams have seen how The Cards carry themselves and how they really are hypocritical, whiny babies. Phillips said what I'm sure a lot of players and fans around baseball were thinking.

Frankly, I could care less what the talking heads on ESPN think. In fact, I'm glad they're taking The Cards side on this one. Getting accolades from ESPN is not something to hang your hat on.

Cedric
08-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Dusty is pure class. LaRussa on the other hand?

The guy is just pathetic, IMO. Absolutely incredible how bad that guy and his hair is.

sabometrics
08-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Absolutely incredible how bad that guy and his hair is.

Hahaha you had to bring up the doo.

mbgrayson
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM

The guy is just pathetic, IMO. Absolutely incredible how bad that guy and his hair is.

LaRussa is Klassy, baby, with a capital 'K'.....

YouTube - ‪Tony LaRussa asleep at the wheel‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCAFiTloj9Q&feature=related)

YouTube - ‪Cardinals' Tony La Russa DUI Interview‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcHIgOM-Ag)

YouTube - ‪Tony La Russa Confronts Reporter‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64Ae58SvEk&feature=related)

WVRedsFan
08-11-2010, 12:43 AM

Agreed. And as for Chris Carpenter. What an idiot. I still say that Brandon should keep his mouth shut. We didn't need this. But, as someone else said, boys will be boys...or men will be men.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Johnny Cueto, tonight I became an even bigger fan. Johnny, you are the man! He did absolutely nothing wrong. He was pushed into the net, he was only defending himself. He shouldn't be suspened any longer than Carpenter or Molina or anyone else.

Oh, and I'm so glad Dusty Baker is our manager instead of LaRussa.

Cedric
08-11-2010, 01:20 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Johnny Cueto, tonight I became an even bigger fan. Johnny, you are the man! He did absolutely nothing wrong. He was pushed into the net, he was only defending himself. He should be suspened any longer than Carpenter or Molina or anyone else.

Some people are just obtuse, IMO. When you are pinned against a wall and there are 15-20 people bearing down on you what are you going to do? You have all the right in the world to kick the idiots off of you.

Slyder
08-11-2010, 01:22 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Johnny Cueto, tonight I became an even bigger fan. Johnny, you are the man! He did absolutely nothing wrong. He was pushed into the net, he was only defending himself. He should be suspened any longer than Carpenter or Molina or anyone else.

For the record we could have used Dunn to knock the **** out of Carpenter tonight with a tackle.

reds44
08-11-2010, 01:49 AM

Nightmare.
Cueto won't get more than 5 games, aka one start.

And if we win tomorrow we're alone in first place. Not a nightmare.

CTA513
08-11-2010, 02:09 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10842801

The Cardinals feed in that clip shows Cueto did kick both LaRue and Carpenter.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 02:10 AM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

“He was trying to break things up (at first), then as soon as he knew he had 20 people pushing him up against the net,” said Reds catcher Ramon Hernandez, translating. “He got scared … nervous, a lot. His back was to the wall. He was trying to get people out of the way so he could get out.”

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100810&content_id=13276098&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
From the Reds website:

"I was trying to go in and trying to break people off," Cueto said with catcher Ramon Hernandez interpreting. "As soon as I knew it, I had like 20 people pushing me all over to the net. I already had my back to the net with my feet up. When you see more than 15 people going over you, you definitely are going to get scared. I did get nervous."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100810&content_id=13276098&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

reds44
08-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah, for some reason I don't see Cueto as a guy looking for trouble.

cincy09
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
http://www.clumsycrooks.com/media/files15/mugshots/tony_larussa.jpg

cincy09
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Maybe the Cards need to watch that Volquez video from last offseason next time they think about brawling.

Degenerate39
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe the Cards need to watch that Volquez video from last offseason next time they think about brawling.

Tony is awfully dangerous behind the wheel of a car though.

cincy09
08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Tony is awfully dangerous behind the wheel of a car though.

See above picture (post #47) for reference!

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I know we're all Reds fans, but let's not be naive. It was started by the Reds...through Phillips in the media. As for what started the altercation at the plate...sure, it LOOKS like Molina, but that's assuming Phillips didn't say anything. He very well could've said something totally inappropriate to Molina right at the start. That being said, I fully expect to see Cueto suspended (intentionally or just defending himself, it's still throwing kicks. MLB will have to do something), and fines levied on Phillips, Molina, Carpenter, Rolen, Baker & LaRussa.

But for us to be blown away by the media defending the Cards....I'm not surprised in the least. Phillips made us out to be the bad guys in this before it all even began. (and no, I'm not saying he was wrong...only wrong to speak it out loud to Hal on the record)

WVRed
08-11-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm surprised Priss didn't complain about being singled out on the "kiss-cam" during the sixth inning with Jason LaRue. (And yes, he did go through with it)

Cyclone792
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I know we're all Reds fans, but let's not be naive. It was started by the Reds...through Phillips in the media. As for what started the altercation at the plate...sure, it LOOKS like Molina, but that's assuming Phillips didn't say anything. He very well could've said something totally inappropriate to Molina right at the start. That being said, I fully expect to see Cueto suspended (intentionally or just defending himself, it's still throwing kicks. MLB will have to do something), and fines levied on Phillips, Molina, Carpenter, Rolen, Baker & LaRussa.

Cueto will get the token five game suspension, if any suspension. He'll have a start pushed back a day or two. Big deal, I say. Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him an extra day or two of rest anyway sometime soon. We have rotation depth so I'm not worried about any suspension for Cueto.

On the large scheme of things, there's no reason for anybody to kid themselves; this has been brewing for years now. We now have enough of a young core who has been here enough - like Phillips since 2006 - that they know the history between the two clubs. These are guys who have been programmed to loathe the Cardinals for years, and there has been enough back-and-forth over the years that things were eventually going to blow up, especially with the current race as close as it is.

The Reds stood up for themselves last night, and I'm glad to see them do that. They may have played a bad game, but emotions were running much higher than normal. Now it's time to get back today to playing Reds baseball, and if they do that, I actually feel pretty good about their chances.

The Cards infield stinks outside of Pujols, Jay will crash, and they can't send their big 3 out every night. All this adds up to the Cards dropping some games over the next several weeks. For all the complaining myself and others have done about black holes the Reds have had over the last several years, take solace in the fact that the Cards infield has those same types of black holes right now.

As good as Pujols and Holliday are, an offense cannot sustain constantly running four guys with a .700ish or below OPS out there every night. The Cardinals have already been fading. Give it more time, and they'll fade even more. The Reds just need to keep winning, and the standings will take care of themselves.

This is turning into a serious rivalry, and I don't see anything wrong with that. From a fan standpoint here in Cincinnati, the Cardinals are now pretty close to Pittsburgh Steeler status, and that's only a good thing for the Reds. It brews even more fan interest in the Reds here locally when there is a common team that the fanbase strongly despises.

Tornon
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
As for what started the altercation at the plate...sure, it LOOKS like Molina, but that's assuming Phillips didn't say anything. He very well could've said something totally inappropriate to Molina right at the start. )

I don't know if you've seen the replays on mlb.com, but Phillips tapped Molina's shinguards before he stepped in the box and Molina obviously shook it off so Phillips tapped them again. Brandon seems to be pretty good at instigating things

Hoosier Red
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't know if you've seen the replays on mlb.com, but Phillips tapped Molina's shinguards before he stepped in the box and Molina obviously shook it off so Phillips tapped them again. Brandon seems to be pretty good at instigating things

Probably something along the lines of "Why don't you tap me again with that bat."
Poke-poke-poke the bear.

mbgrayson
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Of course you know that Phillips always does the shinguard tap thing....

It will interesting to see if he does it today.

RichRed
08-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Bobby Valentine actually made a remark something to the effect that the Reds aren't alone around the league in having those feelings about the Cards, but his comment got swallowed up amidst all of Kruk's blather.

Far East
08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Like the "high-inside" pitch last year to Brandon (that was not very high or very much inside), about which Phillips reacted and again dragged his whole team into a mess (I cannot recall the opponent).

bigredmachine1976
08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Phillips started it plain and simple. You don't call me a "female dog" in the press and then come up to me in person and say "How's it going?" or tap me on the shingurad. If Phillips wants to talk trash fine, but he can't expect the people he trashes to like it. Molina did not instigate anything. As for Carpenter like him or not if he's got cleat marks on his back I'd say he has every reason to be ticked off.

Dom Heffner
08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
The beauty of the math is that with a win today, we only lost a game.

That's a big if, I know, but it's still true.

kaldaniels
08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
The beauty of the math is that with a win today, we only lost a game.

That's a big if, I know, but it's still true.

So true, so true...the deck is stacked against the Reds, but 1 win today saves the series. Sorry folks, but you don't go into a 3 game set vs Carp/Wain and expect a series win. Bronson always seems to step up when the pressure is on...this game's on him.

HeatherC1212
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Bobby Valentine actually made a remark something to the effect that the Reds aren't alone around the league in having those feelings about the Cards, but his comment got swallowed up amidst all of Kruk's blather.

I saw that part too and kudos to Bobby for saying it even though it did get a missed by Kruk's rant. I'll be interested to see if Aaron Boone is on the panel tonight and what he has to say about all this as a former Red.

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

I hadn't seen those. I have now. Kind of a dumb move on Brandon's part IMO. I know it's his pregame ritual...but come on.

TeamBoone
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
for the record, ESPN is now forbidden in my house for the next two days. I can only handle them sticking up for the Cardinals so many times. :eek:

It appears that the "casual observer" (ESPN, though it's their job to pay closer attention) has forgotten all the crap spewed by Cardinals players earlier in the season. Perhaps if they played for the Reds, they would have better memories.

Right now, all they seem to be taking into account is what Brandon said... sooooo, poor poor Cardinals. They've been verbally abused!

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

In fairness, Phillips does this every game and when he attempted to do it last night, Molina kicked his bat.

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
In fairness, Phillips does this every game and when he attempted to do it last night, Molina kicked his bat.

And in fairness...Phillips should've known better than to do this after his comments. He should've shut his yap and let his bat & glove do the talking. If somebody had just said something like Brandon did about me and my family...and then came over all friendly-like to say "Hi, how's it going"...I'd shove his handshake away and be pretty perturbed as well. Pretty much the way Molina handled it.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
And in fairness...Phillips should've known better than to do this after his comments. He should've shut his yap and let his bat & glove do the talking. If somebody had just said something like Brandon did about me and my family...and then came over all friendly-like to say "Hi, how's it going"...I'd shove his handshake away and be pretty perturbed as well. Pretty much the way Molina handled it.

I guess you're a poor sport then, as was Molina.

nate
08-11-2010, 12:56 PM

So you'd deal with it as poorly as Molina did?

No winners here but Molina wasn't "right" any more than BP was. One doesn't "have to" have an immature reaction to an immature statement.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
La Russa thinks the Reds should be punished. Said today...

La Russa expects Major League Baseball to take disciplinary action against the Reds.

"I just believe it's something significant," La Russa said. "I don't know what it's going to turn out to be."

Do you like how La Russa does not expect disciplinary action to be lodged against the Cards?

I like Baker's take better...

"I just hope the guys up there realize the tension, the pressure, the background," Baker said. "Also, you can't just go on the video because you don't know what was said. ... That thing was over until some people started talking."

Baker said it was premature to think about possible discipline.

"It's like asking when you're going to jail and you haven't gone to court yet," Baker said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5455321

Brutus
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Do you like how La Russa does not expect disciplinary action to be lodged against the Cards?

What an infant he is. He's the sibling always going to run and tell mommy and daddy when a brother does something to him.

Phillips was 100% dead-on with his assessment of that group.

TheNext44
08-11-2010, 01:51 PM

If this was Basketball or Hockey or Football, Carpenter would get the biggest suspension, since he got the teams riled up again after everything had calmed down. Part of that first off the bench rule. It's assumed players will jaw at each other over this and that, but to enter a calmed down situation and light another fuse under it is the big crime that must be deterred.

HeatherC1212
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm very anxious to hear the umpires take on this whole thing. They were right there and they know what all was said and what was done because of it.

RichRed
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
That thing was over until some people started talking."

And "some people" = Carpenter. Suspend the jerk.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Isn't Tony LaRussa on some kind of committee with Bud Selig? I'm sure the Reds will get harsher suspensions than the Cardinals even though they shouldn't.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I have my theories on what Carpenter said to Baker to get him so fired up. It's an easy guess.

From John Fay:

Hereís what I think got the worst part of the brawl going: Scott Rolen had ahold of Chris Carpenter, essentially protecting him. The two are friends. Then Carpenter said something very pointed to Dusty Baker.

Things quickly changed. What Baker and Rolen said supports this. Rolen referred to protecting players and managers. Baker said: You canít go on what you see.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/11/a-theory-and-what-got-it-really-going/

HeatherC1212
08-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Isn't Tony LaRussa on some kind of committee with Bud Selig? I'm sure the Reds will get harsher suspensions than the Cardinals even though they shouldn't.

Wouldn't the players union have a fit over that? The umpires, the video, the players accounts, the managers stories....they have to take all of that into consideration before they lay out punishment and if the evidence doesn't support it, then they shouldn't be able to do give more just because of TLR and Bud being buddies.

Cyclone792
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I have my theories on what Carpenter said to Baker to get him so fired up. It's an easy guess.

I have a guess too, but I hope it wouldn't be true otherwise I'd think even less of Carpenter than I already do.

I'm wondering if any reports of the verbal things or more specifics may come out from some fans. As close as the folks in the diamond seats were to this whole thing, you know there were fans that heard what a bunch of guys were saying. What Carpenter said to Baker, for example, was likely heard not only by the players, coaches and umpires out on the field, but also by some fans in the diamond seats.

WVRed
08-11-2010, 10:38 PM

From John Fay:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/11/a-theory-and-what-got-it-really-going/

I'm guessing we are thinking alike.

VR
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
somebody, somewhere has to know what Carpenter said to Dusty. Has that surfaced anywhere yet?