PDA

View Full Version : The grand slam that ended our Miracle season!

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Thats it folks.

Start a fight with the cardinals we clearly shouldnt have started. They come in here and literally Smack us around.

A sweep and a grandslam to finish it.

This team will not recover. We have too many players right now that just plain old suck. People kept saying around here that the reds have a much easier schedule after this series. Thats completely false. We have two west coast trips. That we never do well in. Against teams that are in a pennant race themselves. The cards dont.

The cards just smacked us and embarrassed the hell out of us.

Im literally embarrassed to be a reds fan.

Can u get anymore embarrassed or showed up than the reds have for the past 3 days. I mean good god. First we start the fight. With Bp's comment. In which i liked. I liked to see the intensity. Then we come out and lay an egg. Tuck our heads in our butt and go to bed. Then day 2. BP literally Starts a fight this time. We dont do anything except our gangsta Shanka Jonny cueto starts spiking people in the face. (Nice suspension cueto). And continue on to get our butts handed to us. Then today, the final straw, A grandslam in a game you could just tell from the 1st inning we werent going to win. What a way to end the season. I think all of us will remember these 3 disgusting days for a long time to come. The days our reds hopes were crushed.

Reserve yourselves people save yourselves the heartache.

Because this team wont make it. They may come close or act as if they will make a run at the end. But then wont.

This feels worse than back we just plain sucked.

PS.

Please come up with some different replies other than:

OMG its one game

The sky is falling!

Were only one game back

Your not a reds fan, Im a reds fan

if you werent going to post any of these replies. Please feel free to vent like we all need to after the worst series of reds baseball ive seen in my reds fandome career.

bshall2105
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow it's one game. the sky isn't falling. we are only a game back. clearly you are not a reds fan.

brm7675
08-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I am amazed at how some think this 3 game losing streak is the end of the season? We come away with 3 losses in a row and are still in the WC hunt and still in the division hunt. Now we see what kind of talent and managerial leadership we have. IF Dusty want's that new contract, then it's time for him to prove it. Bounce back after an off day and sweep the Fish.

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I am amazed at how some think this 3 game losing streak is the end of the season? We come away with 3 losses in a row and are still in the WC hunt and still in the division hunt. Now we see what kind of talent and managerial leadership we have. IF Dusty want's that new contract, then it's time for him to prove it. Bounce back after an off day and sweep the Fish.

Well more than just NL central.

Thsi series here just confirms were not that good. And even if we did actually get in to the playoffs We would be embarrassed just like we were over the past 3 days.

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Thsi series here just confirms were not that good. And even if we did actually get in to the playoffs We would be embarrassed just like we were over the past 3 days.

But saying that i would be happy just to get to the playoffs. But it does sting pretty bad like the bengals showed us this past winter.

fielder's choice
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Theyre still the Cards, and we're still the Reds :(

brm7675
08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Thats it folks.

Exactly how did they embarrass us/

How can you be embarrased to be a Reds Fan?

I am probably the most negative guy here, always on Dusty to be fired, yet I have no big issue with this series, right now the Cards are a better team, nothing more, nothing less.

brm7675
08-11-2010, 02:40 PM

How does a 3 game series confirm we are not that good? You put more weight into a 3 game series over the total accomplishments of the season? Hello REALITY CHECK HERE...:cool:

Cincy10
08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Its 1 series!!!!!!!!!! Calm the **** down!!!!!!

brm7675
08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
But saying that i would be happy just to get to the playoffs. But it does sting pretty bad like the bengals showed us this past winter.

The Bengals win the division, make the playoffs for a team that couldn't tie their shoelaces over the past decade and the season was bad because you got beat in the playoffs by an extremely hot team? Get real...

Cincy10
08-11-2010, 02:42 PM
wow

code
08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I love how people are already giving up because we lost 3 games vs the Cards.

1 game back -whoop de! Get over it.

bigredmechanism
08-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Anyway, while I don't agree with you completely, this series is going to leave a mark. The Cards seem to be pretty fired up right now, and we were exposed pretty badly against tough pitching (which has happened more than a few times this season.) It's going to be an uphill battle from here on out, and we've just shown how well we handle the pressure, imo.

I'm not embarrassed to be a fan, though. I came into this season hoping we would simply win more than not. So far, it's August and we are currently tied for first place. Maybe we won't make it, though I'd like to hope that we will.

brm7675
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Stay classy.

Anyway, while I don't agree with you completely, this series is going to leave a mark. The Cards seem to be pretty fired up right now, and we were exposed pretty badly against tough pitching (which has happened more than a few times this season.) It's going to be an uphill battle from here on out, and we've just shown how well we handle the pressure, imo.

I'm not embarrassed to be a fan, though. I came into this season hoping we would simply win more than not. So far, it's August and we are currently tied for first place. Maybe we won't make it, though I'd like to hope that we will.

Name one team in baseball that isn't shut down by CY type pitching?

redsfanmia
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
It is baseball, series like this happen. I think the Cardinals came out and intimidated the Reds and that is why they will probably sweep the series. It reminded me of when the Colts and Patriots used to play, the Patriots would do something to intimidate the Colts and the game would be over before the kick off. I think the Reds will be fine and will challenge for the lead all season and with the soft schedule they have the Reds have a great chance to make the post season.

couch_manager
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Before the series even started, I figured they'd lose it. With Carpenter, Garcia, and Wainwright going, the chances were not good to win 2 of 3 games in the series. We all knew that. Now they're about to be swept. I'm not really surprised, but I would have liked to have seen a better fight out of us especially considering what happened last night. The bully came to town and we called him a name. He then put us in a headlock, stuffed us in our locker and when we showed up the next day we let him do it again without a fight. They've had letdowns like this already this season and have carried on. Will they or won't they this time?

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
The Bengals win the division, make the playoffs for a team that couldn't tie their shoelaces over the past decade and the season was bad because you got beat in the playoffs by an extremely hot team? Get real...

I never said the bengals season was bad! I absolutely LOVED sweeping the division and rubbing dirt in the stinking steelers faces.

I just said we all saw how bad it can sting getting showed up badly in the playoffs.

Stay classy.

Embarrassed comes from the comments and the fight on the field.

I gauruntee if you ask any reds player tonight if they are embarrassed as hell. They will tell you yes.

webbbj
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
would you feel differently if we lost 3 in a row against the brewers and the cards won 3 in a row against the pirates, b/c in effect that would lead to the same result.

i dont think this team is done it was only 4 weeks ago we were supposed to be done when we got swept by the phillies and the team responded greatly.

krm1580
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Over a 162 game season i think the Reds and Cards will be close because the Reds have better pitching depth and better roster depth. The Reds have an advantage over most of the league when it comes to games when #4 & 5 pitchers are throwing.

The problem in my opinion for the Reds is they have nobody to match Carpenter and Wainwright. They are 2 legitamate #1 starters and the best the Reds have is probably 2.5 types like Cueto and Arroyo. They will struggle in short series against this team

sivman17
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Cardinals were definitely ready for this series and the Reds were not. But, one series in the second week of August does not make or break a season. The Reds will still be 6-4 in August after this series, they will be only 1 game back.

Reds have 21 more games against the rest of the NL central, and are 29-11 against those teams. We only play the Cards 3 more times and that's the first week of September. Even if we get sweeped that series also, it doesn't mean the season is over.

I really wish people didn't overreact EVERY SINGLE TIME something doesn't go right for a team. Every team has lulls throughout the season. Most teams will get swept in at least one 3-game series. This is why they play 162.

I feel like people keep trying to predict the downfall of the Reds so that they can later say "I told you so." This team is different from the teams in the past 9 years. They are resilient. They still have good hitters and good pitchers. They will turn this around.

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
would you feel differently if we lost 3 in a row against the brewers and the cards won 3 in a row against the pirates, b/c in effect that would lead to the same result.

i dont think this team is done it was only 4 weeks ago we were supposed to be done when we got swept by the phillies and the team responded greatly.

The later it gets the more important these series get. And sure i would feel differently. I would feel much better if that was the outcome instead of what happened over these past 3 days.

Over a 162 game season i think the Reds and Cards will be close because the Reds have better pitching depth and better roster depth. The Reds have an advantage over most of the league when it comes to games when #4 & 5 pitchers are throwing.

The problem in my opinion for the Reds is they have nobody to match Carpenter and Wainwright. They are 2 legitamate #1 starters and the best the Reds have is probably 2.5 types like Cueto and Arroyo. They will struggle in short series against this team

The reds are 5-10 vs the cards.

tobttr
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
All this series proves is something I think we've all known for a while--the Cardinals are a better team. Cincinnati has improved SO MUCH this season, but they are by and large still used to losing. That mentality needs to (and I think will in time) change drastically. But until then, as painful as it is, just tip your hat to StL---they are better and they have shown it all season.
The thing that would embarrass me would be if this team stops playing now and coasts to a miserable last 6 weeks of the year.

markymark69
08-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Lotta baseball to be played yet guys. Granted, it wasn't the finest moment for our Reds, but this thing is far from over.

Oh and BTW, Phillips did not start the fight. He probably should not have said what he said, especially the way he said it, but at the end of the day it was just words.

He was getting ready to bat and Molina instigated the thing. However, I suggest the next time Phillips wants to run his mouth that he not go 1-for-13 in the series.

stevekun
08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Hilarious thread. We lose a series and are a game out of first in august and yet we are out of it. Funny stuff.

bshall2105
08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
These threads pop up after every loss... this one just had a clever title.

sivman17
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
These threads pop up after every loss... this one just had a clever title.

Haha.. so true, on both points. The title does kind of grab your attention for a second.

Biff Pocoroba
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I really like this team. I believe in them. I think they bounce back. These three games have confirmed my fear of the Cards as a team that can ride their starting pitching, so that is very much a concern. But if we can hang tough and remain in contention for the division or the wild card, we'll have a chance to make a nice run at the end against a lot of lesser teams.

webbbj
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
i dont blame OP's concerns, I have them too but you gotta give the team a chance to respond. maybe they wont but i hope and believe they will. lets reevaluate in 10 games from a less emotional state of mind.

BuckWild03
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
These losses are a tough pill to swallow as I think the Reds & Cardinals have sparked quite a rivalry for the remainder of this season and hopefully into the next few seasons.

I think a lot of people on here have just been waiting for a chance to say "that's it, the season's over" because let's face it, that has come with the territory for the past 20 years. But look around, it's August 11th and we're still in it!

We have some very tough west coast trips that IMO are going to be a telltale sign of this team's intestinal fortitude going forward into the future. And guess what, we have a chance at payback in September when we go to their house and hopefully break out the brooms. If we're still in it then, that series will loom much bigger than this one.

AintlifeGrande
08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I'll be glad when Homer's up.Pujols has always spoke highly of him,and don't seem like he likes to face him.

Vottomatic
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
They're still whiny female dogs, and we're still the Reds.

So, they basically have better starting pitching than we do right now. We can work on that in the offseason. Big deal. We weren't suppose to be in this position of competing anyway. We got nothing to lose.

Sham
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Are you snorting crack again?

justincredible
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
The team is one game out of first (possibly, the game isn't over) and you're embarrassed to be a Reds fan? Why even be a Reds fan, then, considering how bad they've been the last 10 years?

NeilHamburger
08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
And that post's not just the coolest...that post's not just the best...that post is JustinCredible

Reds
08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I think you're right, fold the franchise and burn the stadium.

cincysportsfan
08-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not giving up yet. People said the same thing after the Phillies series, but we crawled back in.
The Reds just have to take a reality check and focus right back in and win the Marlins series.

Trace's Daddy
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
The Cards will leave Cincy all cocky and approach their upcoming schedule without the fire they had against the Reds. They will lose some games in the near future. Dusty needs to have a team meeting during the off day and get our guys fired up and focused. We will catch them as we're only ONE game behind.

knoonan991
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
This has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on this board.

We can't seem to beat the Cardinals. NEWS FLASH: WE ONLY PLAY THE CARDINALS 3 MORE TIMES.

I heard the Atlanta series was the undoing, then it was Philly, then it's the Sunday struggles, now the Cards.

We are still 1.0 games back. Look at our September schedule. We have only 3 series against a team over .500.

We haven't had a winning record in every month for no reason. This is a consistent ball club that picks it up after they have been beaten.

Reds are still fine.

sivman17
08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
This has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on this board.

We can't seem to beat the Cardinals. NEWS FLASH: WE ONLY PLAY THE CARDINALS 3 MORE TIMES.

I heard the Atlanta series was the undoing, then it was Philly, then it's the Sunday struggles, now the Cards.

We are still 1.0 games back. Look at our September schedule. We have only 3 games against a team over .500.

We haven't had a winning record in every month for no reason. This is a consistent ball club that picks it up after they have been beaten.

Reds are still fine.

I agree with this. But, we actually have 10 games against winning teams in Sept. Three game series with STL and SD, and a four game series with COL.

Red in Atl
08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I love how people are already giving up because we lost 3 games vs the Cards.

1 game back -whoop de! Get over it.

I wouldn't call the way I feel right now giving up. I'm embarrassed that BP started a bunch of crap that he nor this team could back up. Shut your pie-hole and play the game correctly.

Now the entire league is looking at us as posueurs. And the way they handled us makes us look like a bunch of (the p-word, plural). So if you think none of that is a big deal, you haven't played many organized sports.

Keep your head down, play the game right and surprise people. Don't bring attention to the fact that you can't handle the big boys on the block.

Reds
08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
along the lines of what knoonan991 said:

In all seriousness, our scheduled down the stretch isn't bad. 19 of our last 22 games are against teams I would consider "beatable". If we're within a game when we enter that stretch we have a legit shot.

PIT 3, ARI 4, HOU 3, MIL 3, SD 3, HOU 3, MIL 3 -- ask for more? we play well in division. SD potentially could be tough. the last 6 are at home. HOU appears to be getting better, but.. not bad.

Jack Burton
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
The Cards will leave Cincy all cocky and approach their upcoming schedule without the fire they had against the Reds. They will lose some games in the near future. Dusty needs to have a team meeting during the off day and get our guys fired up and focused. We will catch them as we're only ONE game behind.
Indeed, let PuHGH-jols & co gloat now, we'll be ready for 'em in sept.

mivers176
08-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Thats exactly what I tweeted to John Fay, this is the offense we can expect when we have to face three top SP's in a row huh?

I'm pretty bummed, we had to be able to win at least one game but 9 hits off of their starters in 3 games?? ridiculous.

knoonan991
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree with this. But, we actually have 10 games against winning teams in Sept. Three game series with STL and SD, and a four game series with COL.

Meant three series, my bad on that one:thumbup:

BurgervilleBuck
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
To me, the player that I'm the most mad at is Brandon Phillips. He was a complete horse's patoot. Not only did he give the Cards some juicy red meat to gnaw on with his comments, not only did he not show up for this series offensively or defensively, but he also started the melee that probably sees the Reds losing some valuable plays for a game or so. Had BP kept his mouth shut, did his job, and not try to tap Molina twice (regardless of how we all feel about Molina) or begin to jaw at him, this sweep wouldn't sting so much.

Like I said in the game thread today, Brandon Phillips is all hat, no cattle.

knoonan991
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
To me, the player that I'm the most mad at is Brandon Phillips. He was a complete horse's patoot. Not only did he give the Cards some juicy red meat to gnaw on with his comments, not only did he not show up for this series offensively or defensively, but he also started the melee that probably sees the Reds losing some valuable plays for a game or so. Had BP kept his mouth shut, did his job, and not try to tap Molina twice (regardless of how we all feel about Molina) or begin to jaw at him, this sweep wouldn't sting so much.

Like I said in the game thread today, Brandon Phillips is all hat, no cattle.

He had a bad series, but I love that he is outspoken about hating the Cardinals. I think the guy just has a different way of playing the game that is refreshing in this day and age.

He said the things that everyone in the league can see as clear as day. It's unfortunate that we lost, but doesn't this team need some sort of swagger going forward?

Hondo
08-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Thats it folks.

Start a fight with the cardinals we clearly shouldnt have started. They come in here and literally Smack us around.

This team will not recover. We have too many players right now that just plain old suck. People kept saying around here that the reds have a much easier schedule after this series. Thats completely false. We have two west coast trips. That we never do well in. Against teams that are in a pennant race themselves. The cards dont.

Can u get anymore embarrassed or showed up than the reds have for the past 3 days. I mean good god. First we start the fight. With Bp's comment. In which i liked. I liked to see the intensity. Then we come out and lay an egg. Tuck our heads in our butt and go to bed. Then day 2. BP literally Starts a fight this time. We dont do anything except our gangsta Shanka Jonny cueto starts spiking people in the face. (Nice suspension cueto). And continue on to get our butts handed to us. Then today, the final straw, A grandslam in a game you could just tell from the 1st inning we werent going to win. What a way to end the season. I think all of us will remember these 3 disgusting days for a long time to come. The days our reds hopes were crushed.

Because this team wont make it. They may come close or act as if they will make a run at the end. But then wont.

PS.

if you werent going to post any of these replies. Please feel free to vent like we all need to after the worst series of reds baseball ive seen in my reds fandome career.

The last game was the only blow out...

Mike Leake clearly isnt throwing the way he used to, and in the 2nd Game the Defense was horrible and mistake all over the place...

The first 2 games were easily winable if you change 1 or 2 things that occurred, and I am talking about errors, and head mistakes, etc...

That being said, the Reds will still win this thing.

Oh and I know Janish has been batting good lately but thats out of the #8 hole, not the #2 hole...

He is going to produce better in the #8 hole because it is a whole different mind set and less pressure.

BurgervilleBuck
08-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I think the guy just has a different way of playing the game that is refreshing in this day and age.
I don't. Maybe I'm old fashioned but that crap needs to stay in the NFL and the NBA where it belongs. Seriously, him opening his yap like that was just as bad as when Chad Johnson sent Pepto Bismol to the Cleveland Browns. We all know how that game went -- just like this series.

krm1580
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
The later it gets the more important these series get. And sure i would feel differently. I would feel much better if that was the outcome instead of what happened over these past 3 days.

The reds are 5-10 vs the cards.

Yes 1-7 vs Carprenter and Wainwright, 4-3 vs everybody else. Like I said Carpenter and Wainwright are the biggest difference between these 2 teams. the Reds don't have anyone to match up with them.

bgwilly31
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't call the way I feel right now giving up. I'm embarrassed that BP started a bunch of crap that he nor this team could back up. Shut your pie-hole and play the game correctly.

Now the entire league is looking at us as posueurs. And the way they handled us makes us look like a bunch of (the p-word, plural). So if you think none of that is a big deal, you haven't played many organized sports.

Keep your head down, play the game right and surprise people. Don't bring attention to the fact that you can't handle the big boys on the block.

exactly.

if your're not embarrassed you should be.

Sham
08-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm embarassed, but I'm not sure if I'm literally embarassed.

BurgervilleBuck
08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I blogged (http://www.bourbonasylum.com/blog/?p=881) my feelings.

cbowen2112
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
The Pirates swept us...

The Phillies swept us

The Braves swept us

The Cardinals swept us

It happens....they bounced back and won each series following the other sweeps.

They will go into the Florida series looking to win Saturday and Sunday....forget touching Johnson on Friday....because aces can not be hit...:rolleyes:

ThornWithin81
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
The spineless "Quit first, ask questions later" attitude in The Sun Deck is starting to wear on me.

Long. Season. Every day one of these threads pops up.

EODRed
08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Month of Apirl - 12 Wins 11 Losses
Month of May - 18 Wins 11 Losses*
Month of June - 14 Wins 14 Losses
Month of July - 14 Wins 12 Losses
Month of August to date - 6 Wins 4 Losses*

Last 4.5 Months. May being the best.... May also being the same month that we lost 3 to the Cards.

Every year there is a team that has your number. Cards got ours. This series means squat. It's all about whose there at the end. If its the Cards good on 'em. They are a good team (Even though I hate everyone of 'em). But Reds have a helluva shot. They need to forget the last three days and play better baseball. Especially on Offense.

EDIT: I was at the game today. Upsetting but I still love going to the ballpark and watching the Reds take the field. My 6 year old (his first time) was so happy to see his favorite players take the field. He was pointing and saying "Look dad there is DREW STUBBS!!"

foxfire123
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
We will recover. Have faith.

ETA: As much as I loved Brandon's comments, and agree with them, his timing sucked. And frankly, did he not learn from Bruce's stupid comments earlier in the season??? Bruce got bit in the butt too.

GrandSlamCards
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Grand Slams for Cards @ Cin in the past year (roughly)

Pujols
Carpenter
Molina
Schumaker
Rasmus

Pretty amazing TBH.

MikeThierry
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Geeshh, have more confidence in the Reds. I have a feeling that when they come into St. Louis next month, the Red will still be within striking distance. This is almost as bad as when Cards "fans" thought the sky was falling when Houston swept us this year.

bshall2105
08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Geeshh, have more confidence in the Reds. I have a feeling that when they come into St. Louis next month, the Red will still be within striking distance. This is almost as bad as when Cards "fans" thought the sky was falling when Houston swept us this year.

After every loss one of these posts show up. It's not just because it was the Cardinals, that just made them show up more often. Does the sky is falling go on on the Cardinals boards too?

MikeThierry
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
After every loss one of these posts show up. It's not just because it was the Cardinals, that just made them show up more often. Does the sky is falling go on on the Cardinals boards too?

You have no idea man. On the "other board that won't be mentioned here" almost half of the threads are about how LaRussa has lost this team, get rid of LaRussa, etc. Than if we lose, the season is over with and we won't make the playoffs. There seems to be no real objectivity or perspective. I guess all fan bases have their share fare of chicken littles.

fewfirstchoice
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Its way more than just a 3gm losing streak. Its a blow to this teams ego and confidence. The team there trying to dethrone came in and stomped a mud hole in this teams butt. This Reds team will never recover from this series. Thye will end up 5-8 games out of any playoff spot, book it.

fewfirstchoice
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Thats it folks.

PS.

You nailed it. I agree 100%.