PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Have Helped?

TheNext44
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Between the players available at then deadline that the Reds had a chance of getting, even if it meant overpaying, who would have made the biggest difference in the Reds/Card series, and why?

camisadelgolf
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
An Albert Pujols or Chris Carpenter acquisition probably would have made a huge difference.

nate
08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Dan Haren and Cliff Lee.

Other than that, I think the solutions are internal: Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce across the OF. To me, the main issue is still not having a dominant, proven starter.

bucksfan2
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
The Reds played bad in this series but it isn't any different from getting swept by Pittsburgh, Seattle, or Philly.

As for who would have helped? Well not named Stubbs or Hernandez on the current roster. Oh it also would have helped if Leake, Cueto, and Arroyo would have pitched well.

Ghosts of 1990
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Josh Hamilton.

RichRed
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Cliff Lee.

WMR
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I think a Shaquille O'Neal or Yao Ming out in CF could've caught that grand salami by Rasmus. :D

George Anderson
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Duct Tape over someones mouth.

reds44
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
God.

UKFlounder
08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Isn't he managing the Cardinals, though?

God.

Brutus
08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Duct Tape over someones mouth.

Those comments made for a nice little subplot, but I sincerely doubt they had any impact on what actually transpired on the field. If the Cardinals needed those words for motivation, they aren't going to be able to sustain this down the stretch. And if those words caused the Reds to lay an egg, they weren't meant to stay in the race anyhow.

WMR
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Isn't he managing the Cardinals, though?

God wishes he was as omniscient as Tony LaRussa. :D

RichRed
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
God would've known to call a cab after getting drunk.

WMR
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
God would've known to call a cab after getting drunk.

:eek:

That was merely Mr. LaRussa creating a parable for the rest of us to follow and learn from.

RichRed
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM
:eek:

That was merely Mr. LaRussa creating a parable for the rest of us to follow and learn from.

Ahh, He is truly wise.

15fan
08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Eric Davis & Jose Rijo.

The Operator
08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Cliff Lee.

Without a true TOR guy to throw at a team like The Cardinals, The Reds are going to continue to be vulnerable to series' like this. The Reds do have an influx of pitching, good pitching, but none of it's great. They're all capable of getting shelled just as easily as they could shut another team down.

It seems like The Reds just never can match up well with The Cardinals. Plenty of teams are playing good baseball against them this year including The Astros and Cubs but The Reds always roll over and die when Larussa and Co. come to town. They HAVE to step up and play a team like The Cardinals.

Joseph
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
No one.

I'm glad we didn't trade away talent for some high priced rental who won't stick around and who likely wouldn't help us get over the hump this season anyway.

We're on the right track, but this ain't our year. We just have to keep plugging and growing and hope we can get another year or two out of Rolen.

LoganBuck
08-11-2010, 04:07 PM
A true left fielder that can hit and defend. This probably would have had to have been acquired during the offseason, as many of us were begging for. Gomes has cost this team about 9 runs this series.

LoganBuck
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Also William Wallace.

KronoRed
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
The T-1000.

RedsManRick
08-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Dan Haren and Cliff Lee.

Other than that, I think the solutions are internal: Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce across the OF. To me, the main issue is still not having a dominant, proven starter.

Agreed on all counts. Not playing our best defensive OF, considering that none of them are offensive forces and that our pitchers don't miss bats, is really not helping.

Homer Bailey
08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
The Reds played bad in this series but it isn't any different from getting swept by Pittsburgh, Seattle, or Philly.

Wrong. Every game against the Cardinals is worth double, as every loss equals an automatic win for them, and vis versa.

MattyHo4Life
08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
ok...just for the record...the LaRussa jokes are hillarious. :)

Ghosts of 1990
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
A true left fielder that can hit and defend. This probably would have had to have been acquired during the offseason, as many of us were begging for. Gomes has cost this team about 9 runs this series.

Or not not traded him away for Edinson Volquez.

A series like this is where you're glad to have Hamilton over Volquez.... where Hamilton makes more of an impact whether it's in the box score or not.

Instead, we have Volquez not seeing action and Jim Edmonds costing us an out on the base paths.

HokieRed
08-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Or not not traded him away for Edinson Volquez.

A series like this is where you're glad to have Hamilton over Volquez.... where Hamilton makes more of an impact whether it's in the box score or not.

Instead, we have Volquez not seeing action and Jim Edmonds costing us an out on the base paths.

Absolutely. Josh Hamilton. Since we no longer have him, the next best solution is Joey Votto to LF and another series left-handed bat in the lineup--Yonder Alonso.

The Operator
08-11-2010, 05:30 PM
You can't move Votto to LF. He's playing good defense, last night not withstanding, and he's having an MVP year at the plate. That's not a guy you can shuffle around.

VR
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Cliff Lee. Good pitching beats good hitters. Alonso, Mesaraco, and Francisco. I would have been doing backflips.

membengal
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Travis Wood.

HokieRed
08-11-2010, 06:19 PM
You can't move Votto to LF. He's playing good defense, last night not withstanding, and he's having an MVP year at the plate. That's not a guy you can shuffle around.

Why? Is he too big for what's good for the team?

toledodan
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM

none of those were at home.

MattyHo4Life
08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Cliff Lee. Good pitching beats good hitters.

Preach on brother...preach on! Pitching wins games...especially in the playoffs.

Brutus
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/macknife13/75reds.jpg

CTA513
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Why? Is he too big for what's good for the team?

It hurts 2 positions unless people think defense doesn't matter.

HokieRed
08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
It hurts 2 positions unless people don't think defense really matters.

You don't think Votto'd be a better LF than Gomes?

CTA513
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
You don't think Votto'd be a better LF than Gomes?

Eventually but not right away and Alonso playing at 1st is a downgrade.

The Operator
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I just don't think you move a guy off of a position he's playing well at while he's having an MVP year at the plate.

Defensive problems can carry over to the plate and vice versa. I don't want Joey Votto moving to the OF to ruin his stellar year offensively. Trade Alonso for a left fielder if he can't play out there. I'm not moving Votto though.

TheNext44
08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Lee and Haren probably would help the Reds over the rest of the season, but I doubt the would have had much influence on this series. The big issue for both of them was cost. I absolutely would not have given up Alonso and Meseraco to get them, and here's why.

What this series showed me was that the Reds need more than anything else is a veteran LF who can also play solid defense. It was a team effort, but Gomes more than anyone else cost the Reds this series. Heisey wasn't much help either. Edmonds was a nice addition, but what is needed is someone who can put Gomes on the bench full time.

I am not sure that that player was available at the deadline, but that is what this team needs to contend the rest of the year. Much, much, much more than one more starting pitcher, no matter who he is.

The other thing that this team needs to contend is to get Cordero out of the closer role, but that just requires Dusty doing it and replacing him with Masset or Smith.

But that is why I don't give up to top prospects for a starting pitcher. I just don't think that one puts the Reds over the top. I would trade them for Carl Crawford, or another elite LF, because I think he would put the Reds over the top, even is he was just a rental.

mbgrayson
08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Homer Bailey. Seriously.

Homer vs. St. Louis:
2010, 1 start, 2.70 ERA, 2 ERs in 6.2 IP, 6 Ks.
2009, 3 starts, 3.14 ERA, 5 ERs in 14 IP, 12 Ks. (One bad start early in year, two great starts when he was recalled from AAA).

And Josh Hamilton would have been nice too. I miss that other strong left-handed bat.

HokieRed
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Homer Bailey. Seriously.

Homer vs. St. Louis:
2010, 1 start, 2.70 ERA, 2 ERs in 6.2 IP, 6 Ks.
2009, 3 starts, 3.14 ERA, 5 ERs in 14 IP, 12 Ks. (One bad start early in year, two great starts when he was recalled from AAA).

And Josh Hamilton would have been nice too. I miss that other strong left-handed bat.

Agree on both counts.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Between the players available at then deadline that the Reds had a chance of getting, even if it meant overpaying, who would have made the biggest difference in the Reds/Card series, and why?A true ace and a true bat for the outfield. We needed a Cliff Lee to stop the Cardinals and someone who could hit their aces. At the deadline and shortly thereafter, we got 40 year old Jim Edmunds and all the ballyhoo about Volquez being our ace. Big difference. Edmunds is mortal now and Volquez is just off TJ surgery.

It's going to be Ok, now. It's probably a year early to make a run anyway.

Slyder
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Cliff Lee.

Without a true TOR guy to throw at a team like The Cardinals, The Reds are going to continue to be vulnerable to series' like this. The Reds do have an influx of pitching, good pitching, but none of it's great. They're all capable of getting shelled just as easily as they could shut another team down.

It seems like The Reds just never can match up well with The Cardinals. Plenty of teams are playing good baseball against them this year including The Astros and Cubs but The Reds always roll over and die when Larussa and Co. come to town. They HAVE to step up and play a team like The Cardinals.

Package 2-3-4 of them and get Zach Greinke. He's upset with KC and going through the motions to get the season done with, going somewhere with a chance to win and some expectations maybe what he needs. We need a top of the rotation talent and none of the guys have stepped up. Being deep is nice for the regular season but you need a hammer for playoff time.

kaldaniels
08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about who would have helped in the brawl had they been in the diamond seats...forget this. :cool: