PDA

View Full Version : The reds r who we thought they were!!!

Maker_84
08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
and thats a barely above .500 team that has fed off a weak division. Look at our record against good teams, u wanna bat at least 500 in those games and we're not even close. This team is not even close to being good

bounty37h
08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
So, tell us, who are you a fan of?

bshall2105
08-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Who cares. They are definetely playing above expectations this year. Your comments today are either completely sarcastic, or you are bipolar or something. We get it, you don't think the Reds are good.

Jack Burton
08-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Pennant chases only come around every so often, might as well enjoy it.

Reds
08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Best Dennis green quote, inspired by thread title:

That's why we took the d--- field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their a--! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!

redsfan_12
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
This guy crackes me up

rolenmvp
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
season is not over. we are 1 game back in division and 0.5 games back in wildcard plus we got the fish coming to town, we are fine.

Hondo
08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Well this is very dissapointing. Phillips was non existant, and the defense in left was horrible... So I have to conceed to you Gomes bashers that he did cost a lot of runs out there... But there were so many mistakes, its hard to fathom.

The Reds need to regroup and Sweep these guys in St.Louis

rolenmvp
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I am the most negative guy here and I don't even make threads like this, I am a diehard fan. WE will be okay. we will have a day off tomorrow to regroup and we will beat the fish. no worries.

sivman17
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Reds against .500 or above teams:
ATL: 2-3
COL: 2-1
LAD: 3-3
NYM: 4-2
OAK: 3-0
PHI: 2-5
SD: 1-2
SFG: 2-2
STL: 5-10
Total record vs. .500+ teams: 24-28 (.461)

Reds against teams below .500:
CHC: 10-3
CLE: 4-2
FLA: 2-2
HOU: 7-2
KC: 1-2
MIL: 4-1
PIT: 8-5
SEA: 0-3
WAS: 4-3
Total record vs. sub-.500 teams: 40-23 (.634)

You may have a point, but I'm sure if you look at every winning team out there they are probably beating up on the weak teams and playing around .500 baseball against winning teams. It just means the Reds are beating the teams they are supposed to (except for KC and SEA). I actually find it impressive that the Reds have a winning or tied record with 7 of 9 sub-.500 teams, and 6 of 6 sub-.500 teams in the NL.

Reds only have losing records against 4 of 9 .500+ teams that they have played, which isn't all that bad.

Reds
08-11-2010, 05:58 PM
We're tied with several other teams for the best records over the last 10 games. The real disappointment is that we didn't show up against our division foe, but the larger picture reveals that we're still capable of bouncing back and beating who we're "supposed" to beat.

sivman17
08-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Just for comparison with my previous post, I looked up the Cards against winning and losing teams...

Cards against .500 or above teams:
ATL: 4-0
CIN: 10-5
COL: 0-3
LAA: 2-1
LAD: 4-3
NYM: 3-3
OAK: 2-1
PHI: 4-4
SFG: 1-2
TOR: 2-1
Total record vs. .500+ teams: 33-25 (.569)

Cards against teams below .500:
ARI: 5-4
CHC: 3-3
HOU: 5-7
MIL: 6-4
PIT: 5-1
SEA: 2-1
WAS: 2-0
Total record vs. sub-.500 teams: 31-24 (.564)

I was pretty surprised to see they have a better record against winning teams than losing teams. Just means that they show up to play against good teams, while the Reds struggle a bit. I'm not worried, though, since the Reds have an easy schedule down the stretch and play very well against weak teams.

sivman17
08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
If you throw out the Reds-Cards games this year, the Reds are 19-18 against .500 or better teams, while the Cards are 23-20. That brings their records much more in line with each other.

Obviously you can't throw these games, especially since the Cards are our main competition. But considering we only play them 3 more times, we play above .500 ball against winning teams, and well over .600 ball against losing teams, I think we have a good shot to play well down the stretch.

brm7675
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
and thats a barely above .500 team that has fed off a weak division. Look at our record against good teams, u wanna bat at least 500 in those games and we're not even close. This team is not even close to being good

So it's our fault that the other teams in the NL central are no good? How do you explain the Cards record? I mean really they are 1 game better then us, so are they also only good because they play Central division teams? how do you explain us handling the Mets, handling the Braves? Come on...:thumbup:

Hondo
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Just for comparison with my previous post, I looked up the Cards against winning and losing teams...

Cards against .500 or above teams:
ATL: 4-0
CIN: 10-5
COL: 0-3
LAA: 2-1
LAD: 4-3
NYM: 3-3
OAK: 2-1
PHI: 4-4
SFG: 1-2
TOR: 2-1
Total record vs. .500+ teams: 33-25 (.569)

Cards against teams below .500:
ARI: 5-4
CHC: 3-3
HOU: 5-7
MIL: 6-4
PIT: 5-1
SEA: 2-1
WAS: 2-0
Total record vs. sub-.500 teams: 31-24 (.564)

I was pretty surprised to see they have a better record against winning teams than losing teams. Just means that they show up to play against good teams, while the Reds struggle a bit. I'm not worried, though, since the Reds have an easy schedule down the stretch and play very well against weak teams.

Look its right in front off all your eyes!

10-5 VERSUS the REDS

5-10 VERSUS the CARDS

That is the stat that marginalizes everything...

This team did not sow up for this series, and Left Field caused the Reds a ton of trouble, but these teams aren't that far apart.

The Cards do have CC and AW and that seperates them a bit...

But Roster to Roster the teams are about even.

AintlifeGrande
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I did not know Denny Green was a Reds fan?Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

cincysportsfan
08-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Love the Denny Green quote. Absolutely true! I don't care how we got this far, fact is we are this far.

We make the playoffs and we have a shot at the World Series! But, if you want to give up now, go ahead.

Vottomatic
08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Reds against .500 or above teams:
ATL: 2-3
COL: 2-1
LAD: 3-3
NYM: 4-2
OAK: 3-0
PHI: 2-5
SFG: 2-2
STL: 5-10
Total record vs. .500+ teams: 24-28 (.461)

.......and a good learning experience for Bob C. and Walt J. Why do we suck against the above .500 teams? They have better starting pitching than we have. We have good starting pitching, but lack that ace.

Should be priority #1 in the offseason to sign or trade for an ace.

HARP3R
08-12-2010, 03:11 AM
But Roster to Roster the teams are about even.

And I'd actually say, offensively, position for position, the Reds may be a better team.

C - Hernandez/Hanigan > Molina
1B - Votto (slightly) < Pujols
2B - Phillips > Schumaker
SS - Cabrera > Ryan
3B - Rolen > Lopez/Freese

LF - Gomes < Holliday
CF - Stubbs < Rasmus (not for long)
RF - Bruce (power) > Jay

08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
The 75 Reds had a losing record against the Dodgers, their main rival for the division, and finished 20 games ahead of them.

Their record against losing teams that year:

73-25

Their record against winning teams that year:

37-29

They key to all championship teams is to beat up on the weaker teams and try to play .500 on the winning teams. That is how championships are won.

webbbj
08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
the reds may have a losing record against winning teams, they may beat up on losing teams. well they play the pirates, cubs, brewers, astros a ton to finish this season so they will continue to beat on bad teams.

on the west coast trips as long as they can break even and not let any of those teams gain any ground in the WC the reds easy schedule could be the difference since those WC contenders from the west and east have more good teams in their divisions that will be beating up on eachother while the reds will get to feast on bottom feeders.

and we still got 3 against the cards and it wouldnt be unheard of to think we could get 2/3 even on the road. so the its not like the division race is over yet. i think it will take 2/3 against the cards since they should have a very similar record to the reds vs the rest of the competition. the reds do need to finish 1 game ahead of the cards b/c they will have the tie breaker so that does make it a lil harder for to win.

give it 10 games and reevaluate this team then. the reds definitely arent as bad as they played against the cards. that saying ur never as bad as ur worst game and never as good as ur best game. if the reds were in the AL east they would be lucky to win 80 games but their not (thankfully) so no need to worry about it.

CrosleyField
08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Its never as good it seems or bad as it seems.

TheBigLebowski
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I am the most negative guy here and I don't even make threads like this, I am a diehard fan. WE will be okay. we will have a day off tomorrow to regroup and we will beat the fish. no worries.

You keep saying this, yet you berate anyone else who ever expresses anything negative without ever being negative yourself. I am beginning to wonder if YOU ARE WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!!!

Moosie52
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
So it's our fault that the other teams in the NL central are no good? How do you explain the Cards record? I mean really they are 1 game better then us, so are they also only good because they play Central division teams? how do you explain us handling the Mets, handling the Braves? Come on...:thumbup:

I'm proud of you, man.

XU Lou
08-12-2010, 10:58 AM
.......and a good learning experience for Bob C. and Walt J. Why do we suck against the above .500 teams? They have better starting pitching than we have. We have good starting pitching, but lack that ace.

Should be priority #1 in the offseason to sign or trade for an ace.

While I don't think we "suck" against .500 teams, I do concur that those series we have faltered seem to be against teams with a top heavy rotation.

We have a deep SP staff that works well over a long season but does not have the TOR critical mass to compete in a short series. The Cards recognized this and adjusted their rotation to take advantage during the recent series.

Should we make the playoffs, which I believe will occur, I fear it may not last long. I hope I am mistaken but would still consider the season a success.

mckbearcat48
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
really...Dennis Green reference? Isn't he certifiably nuts?

snowstorm
08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
The Cards do have CC and AW and that seperates them a bit...

This is really the big difference between the two teams. Their best 2 starters are much better than our best 2. Also, our lack of experience in pressure games is also a small part of it too.

ThornWithin81
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM
really...Dennis Green reference? Isn't he certifiably nuts?

Yes, and that makes it an appropriate reference when you consider the poster.

I don't think this means much. The Cardinals are above .500 against winning teams in large part because they have won 2/3rd of their games against us this year.

realistic
08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
they are a first place team

Kingspoint
08-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes. The REDS are who I thought they were....

An extremely resilient club with great chemistry who are destined to go to the playoffs this season.

redsfan_12
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
This is why baseball is the best game IMO. We sweep the Cubs and Astros, they beat the Cards, the Cards embarrass us, and 3 days later, were right back in first.

I really didn't know how this team would handle getting blow away for those 3 games. But now I feel comfortable knowing they can bounce back from anything. I'm a little worried about this west coast trip, but nothing compared to the last few years. I think we will come back with a winning record in the 9 games

HARP3R
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM
This is why baseball is the best game IMO. We sweep the Cubs and Astros, they beat the Cards, the Cards embarrass us, and 3 days later, were right back in first.

I really didn't know how this team would handle getting blow away for those 3 games. But now I feel comfortable knowing they can bounce back from anything. I'm a little worried about this west coast trip, but nothing compared to the last few years. I think we will come back with a winning record in the 9 games

The one thing I really do envy about the Reds this year is that they have no problem mopping up the teams they should beat.

That's why they'll win the Central, IMO.

The Cardinals play down to their competition, but the Reds thrive against sub-par teams.

I would like to see the Reds beat the better teams more consistently, and they have had some success against .500 or better teams. If they want to make some noise in the playoffs, that 15-25 record against ATL, SD, SF, LA, PHI, and STL will have to improve.

DocRed
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
The one thing I really do envy about the Reds this year is that they have no problem mopping up the teams they should beat.

That's why they'll win the Central, IMO.

The Cardinals play down to their competition, but the Reds thrive against sub-par teams.

I would like to see the Reds beat the better teams more consistently, and they have had some success against .500 or better teams. If they want to make some noise in the playoffs, that 15-25 record against ATL, SD, SF, LA, PHI, and STL will have to improve.

I think it has something to do with the dropoff and injuries the Cards have had in their 4 and 5 pitchers. Certainly they have addressed that somewhat with the signing of Westbrook who has pitched well. It will be an interesting race down the finish.

HARP3R
08-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it has something to do with the dropoff and injuries the Cards have had in their 4 and 5 pitchers. Certainly they have addressed that somewhat with the signing of Westbrook who has pitched well. It will be an interesting race down the finish.

Oh there's no question that losing Penny (and even Lohse to an extent) hurt the Cardinals. Westbrook was a very good trade if he can maintain a 3.00 ERA from here on out, but it's more than just pitching that goes awry against the bottom feeders for the Cards.

Inconsistency has been the name of the game for the Cardinals offense in 2010, but I guess that's what you're asking for when you have a team comprised of other team's cast-offs (Miles, Lopez, LaRue, Wynn, etcetera), and players who should probably be nothing more than bench or utility players such as Ryan and Schumaker.