PDA

View Full Version : Paul Keels

alexad
08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Interesting titbit. Paul did the Seattle series on TV, Phillies series on TV and the Cardinals series on TV. Maybe it is time he quits doing games on TV.

TheNext44
08-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Interesting titbit. Paul did the Seattle series on TV, Phillies series on TV and the Cardinals series on TV. Maybe it is time he quits doing games on TV.

I would agree with this even if the Reds went unbeaten in all of those series. :cool:

Big Klu
08-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I would agree with this even if the Reds went unbeaten in all of those series. :cool:

http://www.teesforall.com/images/Nintendo_Mushroom_1UP_Green_Shirt.jpg

Redlegs
08-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Paul's a great announcer as is Jim Kelch. But it just ain't the same when Thom, Marty, or the Cowboy are missing. For what it's worth, Chris Welsh is quickly becoming my favorite member of the Reds broadcasters. I think he does a fantastic job. He and Thom are great together.

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Keels is getting better, IMO. I think he's got a better rapport with Welsh than Brennaman does. Welsh is by far the most knowledgeable guy they've got.

cumberlandreds
08-12-2010, 07:48 AM
I just got the Extra Innings half season package and this was first I heard Keels to any great extent. He is very bland to say the least. I guess mechanically he is a solid announcer but he just does not add much to the broadcast. Thom at least brings up some interesting points and things to look for. Keels does none of this except describe what we can already see for ourselves.

bucksfan2
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I just got the Extra Innings half season package and this was first I heard Keels to any great extent. He is very bland to say the least. I guess mechanically he is a solid announcer but he just does not add much to the broadcast. Thom at least brings up some interesting points and things to look for. Keels does none of this except describe what we can already see for ourselves.

Keels is probably my favorite announcer in sports. He does Ohio State broadcasts and I enjoy listening to him.

He does the play by play without showing much of a bias or trying to one up the color man. He allows the guys who have played the game to give the color and more opinionated comments. I have always thought that he is one of the only guys who is good at calling basketball on the radio. That is a very difficult job to do with the up and down nature of the sport.

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
He allows the guys who have played the game to give the color and more opinionated comments.

Yes. And that's where Thommy falls short -- he's got to be the star, the expert and, when things turn out poorly, the victimized.

Jpup
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Keels seems like a good guy, but he's the worst announcer the Reds have had in 20 years.

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Keels seems like a good guy, but he's the worst announcer the Reds have had in 20 years.

He's getting better the more he does. He's got some solid Reds knowledge/history -- I appreciated his mention the other day of Fredie Norman and Clay Kirby in the context of the Edmonds acquisition.

westofyou
08-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Jeff Brantley makes Keels sound like Jack Buck

Thom Brennamen makes Keels sound like Bill King.

Hoosier Red
08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
He's getting better the more he does. He's got some solid Reds knowledge/history -- I appreciated his mention the other day of Fredie Norman and Clay Kirby in the context of the Edmonds acquisition.

I agree. Early on he made a lot of mistakes, and honestly I think they got into his head. Don't kid yourself. Being on the air requires confidence to perform just like playing the game.

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Thom Brennamen makes Keels sound like Bill King.

Pretty funny, now that I've just learned a little about Bill King. Seems he is the only basketball announcer ever to be assessed a technical foul (his in-game comments drew a T against the home team, the old SF Warriors).

sonny
08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I like him. I don't think you have to be flashy to be a solid announcer. Does he make mistakes? sure, but everyone does.

Cedric
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I was wondering how long this thread would take to turn into a Thom, Brantley, or Marty bashing session.

Can't we just sticky a thread so people can beat that same damn horse?

lollipopcurve
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I was wondering how long this thread would take to turn into a Thom, Brantley, or Marty bashing session.

2 of the 15 posts criticize any of those 3. 1 complains about the criticism.

Jpup
08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I wish Kelch would do some more TV. He and Welsh and very good.

Cedric
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
2 of the 15 posts criticize any of those 3. 1 complains about the criticism.

I'm not immune to jumping the gun. I read one post and assumed from the past history. Shouldn't assume :)

I retract my point about derailing this thread.

westofyou
08-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Someone mentions "the Reds worst announcers in the last 20 years" and those two come up in the criteria being used to make such a statement.

You certainly have an opinion on it, have at it. If you don't like mine use the ignore feature instead of bellyaching about my opinion.

Tom Servo
08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I have to agree with the Keels dislike. I haven't heard his non-Reds work but he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the Reds and baseball, and his voice puts me to sleep.

The Operator
08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the Reds and baseball, and his voice puts me to sleep.

Really? He seems like an encyclopedia of Reds factoids every time I listen to him. He may be bland, but I think he definitely knows his Reds history.

Boss-Hog
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Really? He seems like an encyclopedia of Reds factoids every time I listen to him. He may be bland, but I think he definitely knows his Reds history.
Agreed.

smith288
08-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Keels is a wealth of information. You could ask him what injury Chone Figgins had in early 2007 spring training and know it. Its crazy.

Tom Servo
08-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe I'm just thinking of some little of the little mistakes like forgetting the number of outs (and hey, Leake did too).

Tornon
08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Maybe I'm just thinking of some little of the little mistakes like forgetting the number of outs (and hey, Leake did too).

I agree with this, he seems to know everything when it comes to baseball history.. but when it comes to something that happened in the current game, there were times at the beginning of the season he would get something wrong every half inning and it kind of got on my nerves. Since then, he has seemed to have gotten better so maybe it was just the nerves of doing baseball broadcasting for the first time (I think). I still like it more when the broadcasters are more opinionated like Thom & Chris are

GADawg
08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Keels almost makes me miss Grande...but not quite. He seems like a great guy and as mentioned is a wealth of historical knowledge both Reds and many other topics. The problem I have with him is he constantly uses odd wording for instance calling a line shot to the outfield a "flare". Early in the season he made this call...."and the 1-2 pitch is outside...1 and 3". I had to rewind that one.

I might even let him slide on his "Alonso Yonder" comment.

Redsfan320
08-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I still miss Grande... he would've had a lot of fun calling this division race. Notice the lack of a wink or rolling eyes... I'm one of the VERY few Grande fans this site has.

As for Keels... you want to like him so bad: he's got the rich voice, the Reds knowledge, and he seems like a really nice guy... but he just can't broadcast baseball.

CTA513
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Thom seems to mess up just as much if not more than Keels.

GADawg
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Thom seems to mess up just as much if not more than Keels.

Thom is like my wife in that he says so much that some of it is bound to wrong!

Somehow I find comfort in hearing Thom and I think it's because he sounds so much like Marty. I may be in the minority with this line of thought but I've listened to Marty now for over 30 years and it's comforting to know that even when he retires I can still pretty much hear him with Thom around.

smith288
08-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I hate the word "absotively". But I still like him. Count the times he says "excuse me...". Like a drinking game.

marcshoe
08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
I wish Kelch would do some more TV. He and Welsh and very good.

I agree completely. Kelch is the guy I'd like to become a long-term fixture, and Welsh has really grown in my estimation over the past few years, and is now one of my favorite color guys period.

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I agree completely. Kelch is the guy I'd like to become a long-term fixture, and Welsh has really grown in my estimation over the past few years, and is now one of my favorite color guys period.

I think Kelch is being groomed to take over play-by-play on radio when Marty retires.

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 02:01 AM

Yeah, but sometimes his vast encyclopedia of knowledge is off, and nobody calls him on it. For example, every time the Reds play the Cardinals and Tony LaGenius bats his pitcher eighth, Keels waxes eloquent on how, in the final game ever played at Crosley Field, Juan Marichal batted seventh for the Giants.

EXCEPT HE DIDN'T!

According to both retrosheet.org and baseball-reference.com, Marichal batted in the customary ninth position. Here are the starting lineups for that final game at Crosley Field on June 24, 1970:

San Francisco
Bobby Bonds rf
Tito Fuentes 2b
Willie Mays cf
Willie McCovey 1b
Ken Henderson lf
Dick Dietz c
Al Gallagher 3b
Hal Lanier ss
Juan Marichal p

Cincinnati
Pete Rose rf
Bobby Tolan cf
Tony Perez 3b
Johnny Bench c
Lee May 1b
Bernie Carbo lf
Tommy Helms 2b
Woody Woodward ss
Jim McGlothlin p

Furthermore, Keels has done nothing to change my view that he is nothing more than a shill for Ohio State who has been planted there by Fox Sports Ohio to drum up even more support for the Buckeyes. And it's only going to get worse as football season approaches.

WMR
08-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I still miss Grande... he would've had a lot of fun calling this division race. Notice the lack of a wink or rolling eyes... I'm one of the VERY few Grande fans this site has.

As for Keels... you want to like him so bad: he's got the rich voice, the Reds knowledge, and he seems like a really nice guy... but he just can't broadcast baseball.

I'm the exact opposite.

Imagining GG calling those 3 nightmare games with barely constrained glee talking about the Red Birds and Poo Holes is enough to make me want to reach for the horse tranquilizers.

MasonBuzz3
08-13-2010, 02:05 AM
I wonder if Keels didnt do OSU games if he would be percieved differently? I personally think he's pretty boring

WMR
08-13-2010, 02:06 AM

Getting Chris away from George seems to have really allowed him to step out and 'be his own man' so to speak. You could tell he would sometimes hold things back when he was with George, almost like he didn't want to upset him.

Big Klu
08-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Agreed. Occasionally I miss George, too. (Usually when Keels is doing the PBP.) I gave my share of grief to George over the years, but I think he would have had a lot of fun with this team after all the years of sub-.500 baseball. And a full season of Scott Rolen plus the addition of Jim Edmonds would have made him ecstatic!

Oh, and I still call a double play a "6-4-yessiree-3"! (Or whatever the numbers happen to be for the DP.)

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Keels seems like a nice guy and has a pretty good voice but he doesn't show enough excitement, IMO. I like Thom, and I've really grown to like Chris Welsh. He's very underrated IMO. I'm also a huge fan of Jim Kelch. I wish he did more games, he's got an excellent voice. I also didn't mind George Grande, though his love affair with the Cardinals was annoying at times. Speaking of George, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he scheduled to return in September to announce a few games?

Ron Madden
08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
I'd rather listen to Paul Keels than Jeff Brantley.

Heck I'd rather listen to anyone but Jeff Brantley.

Ron Madden
08-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Keels seems like a nice guy and has a pretty good voice but he doesn't show enough excitement, IMO. I like Thom, and I've really grown to like Chris Welsh. He's very underrated IMO. I'm also a huge fan of Jim Kelch. I wish he did more games, he's got an excellent voice. I also didn't mind George Grande, though his love affair with the Cardinals was annoying at times. Speaking of George, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he scheduled to return in September to announce a few games?

Jim Kelch and Chris Welsh would be an excellent team on radio or tv.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2010, 07:42 AM

Grande coming back in September was announced before the season started. I would imagine he will be doing weekend games when Thom and Keels are doing football.