PDA

View Full Version : The Cardinal trolling is beyond ridiculous right now.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Seriously I dont know if this is too much to ask but can we please shut down registration? The amount of cardinal fan trolls has increased such massive amounts that for every 1 post from a Reds fan there seems to be 2 blatant trolling post in response.

I enjoy posting here. I enjoy not seeing eye to eye with random Red fans on issues involving the team, but when it comes to guys spamming new accounts and just trolling and derailing every thread or creating accounts to trying to troll as "Reds fans".

It's totally pointless for anyone to post in the Sun Deck right now. There is no discussion its trolling and derailing of every thread.

You guys please have to do something other than just banning people. I know you guys are trying but it's not working. There is a new troll every hour pissing every single good member you have in the Sun Deck off. I'm honestly pretty close to not even visiting the site due to this nonsense.

sivman17
08-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I've been on other sites that have a waiting period after registration before you can post. I think if you make a 1 or 2-week period where you can read the boards but not post, that would knock out all of the ridiculousness from Cards trolls.

That's my recommendation. I just don't foresee Cards fans coming on here a week or two after this series to start talking smack about it. Everyone will have moved on and would be talking about the new series going on with different teams. I guess they would be around for the next series in September, so maybe the waiting period should be a little longer, like a month or two months.

Defacto
08-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I am sorry if I have rubbed anyone the wrong way in my less than a day here.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 12:33 AM
I am sorry if I have rubbed anyone the wrong way in my less than a day here.

The issue is even the cardinals fans that arent here to cause trouble are being drowned out by the trolls. It ruins every discussion especially game threads when you there is back and forth CRAP. There is no flow to our game threads right now because 6 pages go by because a Reds fan is getting trolled by a Cardinal troll.

Its flat out painful that no matter a POV someone is goin to come in and accuse reds fans of being "homers" on a Reds fan forum. The he said she said crap makes any thread right now regardless if someone post in it or not.

I've been trying to avoid these threads so I dont get baited in like I have a history of. The issue is I cant even read a thread and find something worth replying to because someone is going to get smart and someone is going to reply and Boom dead thread and topic for anyone interested.

macro
08-12-2010, 12:43 AM
The issue has been discussed a lot in the moderator forum, including the mention of a waiting period between registration and the ability to post. Registration was shut down for the remainder of the Cardinals series, so hopefully that may have helped a little.

We have addressed it as best we can in the short time we have had to react. I must admit that it caught me (and probably others) off-guard. I haven't seen anything like this in the ten years the board has been active.

The reality of the situation is that all of us cannot be on the board at the same to discuss it in real time, so posts and subsequent replies are spread out to some extent. But be assured that we will continue to address the situation.

It's late and I'm tired, so that's all I have to add right now. But I'm sure the other moderators and the administrators will have more to add. We understand your frustration and certainly share it. This and the results on the field have made for a frustrating three days.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I certainly know you have been trying. I have seen officers basically sitting in game threads waiting to pull the trigger and snipe people quickly. I appreciate that you guys did shut it down, I guess people made those accounts prior because there seems to be a ton still getting through. Maybe its open again. I dont know really.

I just know its been really tough on Sun Deck posters. I know its annoying for officers, and I hope it calms down. I do see a sticky saying basically the leash has been tightened and its probably a decent step.

Thanks.

Boss-Hog
08-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Continue to report posts that violate the rules of the board and we will deal with the users as soon as humanly possible. In the meantime, do not give them what they're looking for by responding and getting into an argument because that's what they want to incite. All moderators have the authority to ban users, so all it takes it one person to see the problem and take action. We do not want to further limit registration to prevent anyone that is not here to cause problems from registration in the middle of a Reds' pennant race.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Would be nice if we could just make a "below X amount of post ignore list"

:)

GIDP
08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I hate to keep complaining but seriously how can this continue? The whole purpose of these so called Cardinal fans are here is to troll. I know its nice to sit up in the ORG and be shielded away from this nonsense but you are really really letting the Sun Deck be ruined by flat out worthless posters.

I dont know what you guys consider trolling but if you cant curb it then you have to find a better solution than just coming in a few hours after these threads are ruined and ban people. Its non freaking stop right now. Every thread is a troll. EVERY THREAD is getting trolled.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the minor league forum.

RBA
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I hate to keep complaining but seriously how can this continue? The whole purpose of these so called Cardinal fans are here is to troll. I know its nice to sit up in the ORG and be shielded away from this nonsense but you are really really letting the Sun Deck be ruined by flat out worthless posters.

I dont know what you guys consider trolling but if you cant curb it then you have to find a better solution than just coming in a few hours after these threads are ruined and ban people. Its non freaking stop right now. Every thread is a troll. EVERY THREAD is getting trolled.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the minor league forum.

Just alert on what you think is trolling. Hopefully, the mods/admin will respect you for that. They will make the decision. I understand your frustration, but calling out the trolls in a thread like this is what the trolls want to do to you. They see this thread as a victory. Just alert and ignore it and let the mods/admins straightened out.

paintmered
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Just alert on what you think is trolling. Hopefully, the mods/admin will respect you for that. They will make the decision. I understand your frustration, but calling out the trolls in a thread like this is what the trolls want to do to you. They see this thread as a victory. Just alert and ignore it and let the mods/admins straightened out.

This.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM

I understand, but you guys do realize that the sun deck is basically ESPN.com forums right now. You honestly want me to report every post? You seriously enjoy that no matter the topic it gets derailed with in a matter of 5 post? By the time a mod replies the damage is done. Seriously there are at least 10 trolls right now in the Sun Deck doing nothing but bickering with people. Ignoring it is a part of the process but you seriously cant expect people to just sit there, and never post.

The options now are
a. Dont post or reply to anything
b. ignore every poster
c. hope you get a reply worth reading until the thread is blown up by trolls
d. report every thread while reading every post that is the cause of the problem.

Maybe you guys should just start closing threads or allowing these posters to post in the ORG and see how you like it. Honestly its beyond just reporting and banning.

I see a banner up in the corner on this webside "Redszone: For Reds fans, by Reds fans". Couldnt be farther from the truth right now.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Also I would like to add that its not even all trolls. Its the replies from people after they get trolled. It's bringing the pitiful out of everyone.

ThornWithin81
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I have a few thoughts on the issue(s) discussed here. I'll try to break them up to make things as clear as possible.

1) A number of the Cardinals fans I've run into over the past few days in TSD are reasonable people. I'm personally not a fan of allowing fans from other franchises to register on a Cincinnati Reds forum (There are MLB-wide forums out there that allow for fanbase v. fanbase interaction already)... however, I hate to see the decent STL fans here getting buried in the same mass grave that the trolls are being buried in. Some of us are so angry over the Cardinals trolling that we're giving the same rough treatment to otherwise reasonable Cardinals fans. There's no reason to get personal with an intelligent fan of a rival team. To me, a fanatic of a rival team is easily more likable than a person who, say, doesn't even care about baseball.

2) The best way to kill off this wave of trolling is to try to ignore it. If you reply to a trolling post, simply acknowledge that it is a troll posting, report the post and move on. Don't get roped into an argument. The entire nature of "Trolling" is going onto a forum and trying to create conflict. If you lose your mind over a troll's post, you're ENCOURAGING him to keep trolling you. If everyone just tries to get past it without drama, these people will get bored and go back to their respective STL forums sooner than they otherwise would.

3) The trolling should die down regardless now that the series is over. Even with all the bad blood, if you're a Cardinals fan that wants to harass Reds fans - chances are you've already picked your forum of choice by now. The number of new Cards fans coming in here to start trouble will be smaller than the number of already registered Cards fans being banned (or getting bored) after starting trouble. It'll work itself out.

-----

I do think the Sun Deck is especially hard to sift through right now. No doubt about that.

foxfire123
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Also I would like to add that its not even all trolls. Its the replies from people after they get trolled. It's bringing the pitiful out of everyone.

I'll agree with GIDP on this. I'm seeing some reactions from the "regulars" that I won't say is disappointing, but is a little shocking. I don't blame them, I've sat on my hands myself a number of times this last week to stop myself from making completely rude comments.

I know if we just ride it out it will stop, but something needs to be put in place before the next series because you know they'll be back in full force yet again then.

I've been reading the ORG section far more today than I normally do. Mostly because I get enough of Cardinals fans live and in person. I don't want to deal with them on what's supposed to be a safe haven for Reds fans.

ThornWithin81
08-12-2010, 07:44 PM

On this note, if we take this route: do we need to be specific about the "trolling" going on in the post? Or is it just sufficient at this point to tag a post as "Cardinals Trolling" and let the Moderators read it from there?

Griffey012
08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Just read the last 10 pages in the "Cueto gets suspended 7 games" thread...the entire thing is just pitiful.

Boss-Hog
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Thank you for your feedback. It's not really what any of us wanted to do, but I've made a temporary change: registration is still open, but new members are not allowed to post without first being approved by an administrator/moderator. In the 10+ years of running this site, this sort of problem has never come about, so excuse us if we were unprepared because it was unexpected. On one hand, it's refreshing to see the Reds playing well enough to provoke this kind of reaction from fans of a rival team.

In the meantime, please continue reporting any posts that violate the rules of the board and we'll deal with them accordingly. Thank you for your patience.

Defacto
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Everyone, some of us Cardinals fans are here to have a different perspective from a different fan base. I'm honestly here to talk baseball and get to know what Reds fans think about the Reds, Cardinals, our division and baseball in general. I hope to have many civil discussions with Reds fans.

GIDP
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Certainly. I didnt want to come off sounding like I was giving the mods trouble or suggesting you guys are failures. I know there is a huge flood of just nonsense posters and I understand you guys dont want to curb registrations because of the Reds winning. I totally understand that and would do the same thing.

I also totally appreciate that you guys are willing to do what you guys are doing. I know its probably a pain but I'm sure everyone is greatful.

Very very reasonable actions.

Boss-Hog
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Everyone, some of us Cardinals fans are here to have a different perspective from a different fan base. I'm honestly here to talk baseball and get to know what Reds fans think about the Reds, Cardinals, our division and baseball in general. I hope to have many civil discussions with Reds fans.
I realize that and the fact that we have fans of other teams in our signature baseball forum, The Old Red Guard, including Cardinals fans, should attest to that. That being said, it's clear from reading The Sun Deck over the past couple of days that you are unfortunately in the minority and I'm disappointed in the way that some of our established members reacted to them.

Defacto
08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I realize that and the fact that we have fans of other teams in our signature baseball forum, The Old Red Guard, including Cardinals fans, should attest to that. That being said, it's clear from reading The Sun Deck over the past couple of days that you are unfortunately in the minority and I'm disappointed in the way that some of our established members reacted to them.

I can understand why some posters would act the way they did. It's hard to tell who is and who isn't trolling. I'm okay with a few people questioning me, but it gets out of hand when they start to rip the opposing fans who haven't done anything to provoke the posters. It's going to take awhile for some posters to get used to other fans posting on their home team's message board. I can also understand why you are taking steps to prevent from more trolling to occur, which I think is a really great move.

jules2
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey, take it as kind of a compliment for your site - I've found here (minus the nonsense posts) to be far better reading than the redbird board the past few days.

paintmered
08-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I can understand why some posters would act the way they did. It's hard to tell who is and who isn't trolling. I'm okay with a few people questioning me, but it gets out of hand when they start to rip the opposing fans who haven't done anything to provoke the posters. It's going to take awhile for some posters to get used to other fans posting on their home team's message board. I can also understand why you are taking steps to prevent from more trolling to occur, which I think is a really great move.

The very fact that you are still here shows that we recognize that you are a legitimate poster.

Things should settle down in a few days.

Defacto
08-12-2010, 09:55 PM
The very fact that you are still here shows that we recognize that you are a legitimate poster.

Things should settle down in a few days.

Thank you for the compliment. I hope to one day gain access to the Old Red Guard. Also, I'll admit I signed up in the wake of the fight, but I like this board and the baseball talk here.

Captain Hook
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I know it's not going to happen but I wouldn't mind getting the other teams more mature fans/posters opinions in the ORG.While I know there are some other teams represented there diversity is lacking.Considering what the forum is and the rules(that are fine by the way)this is to be expected.

While it's a lot more work for the mods, it seem like this would be an opportunity for some of the better posters in the sun deck to interact with some other teams(i know it's mostly Cards) fans.This is something that ORG members don't have unless we want to join another teams site and be labeled trolls ourselves.With this stuff going on it makes me think that there could be some use in a forum that allows members(along with all the new members) in the sun deck and ORG members to discuss all things that are baseball.Preventing this seems to be the reason for the ORG and it's understood.After all there are no troll in our forum.I know moderating such a forum would be difficult but it does seem like there could be some benefits.

Defacto
08-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I know it's not going to happen but I wouldn't mind getting the other teams more mature fans/posters opinions in the ORG.While I know there are some other teams represented there diversity is lacking.Considering what the forum is and the rules(that are fine by the way)this is to be expected.

While it's a lot more work for the mods, it seem like this would be an opportunity for some of the better posters in the sun deck to interact with some other teams(i know it's mostly Cards) fans.This is something that ORG members don't have unless we want to join another teams site and be labeled trolls ourselves.With this stuff going on it makes me think that there could be some use in a forum that allows members(along with all the new members) in the sun deck and ORG members to discuss all things that are baseball.Preventing this seems to be the reason for the ORG and it's understood.After all there are no troll in our forum.I know moderating such a forum would be difficult but it does seem like there could be some benefits.

I'm not opposed that idea. Not the ORG, per se, but another forum where opposing fan bases can talk with Reds fans. That way, it wouldn't clutter The Sun Deck.

Swampturkey
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't know if some of you remember me or not, but I am a Cardinals fan who used to post on here 10 years ago (notice my join date and post totals), up until about 2003 (or whenever the registration process was first changed). The only reason I quit posting is because I was under the impression that, as with the main forum, only certain people were allowed to post now. I had tried to log in a few times but was never able to. I have lurked for the past 7 years however.

I feel bad that so many Cardinals fans are trashing your forum. They do not represent us as a whole. I don't know where they came from either as the Cardinals forum I post on regularly did not mention this place or link to it. Back when the Cards and Reds were both in contention in 2000, we had several Reds fans (Team Casey, Team Boone, etc) over posting on our site, and we would post here. It was ALWAYS friendly.

I can't speak for the rest of Cardinal nation, but I am only here because I love talking baseball and right now, it's all about the Cardinals and Reds to me. I promise I will never flame or cause trouble.

Brutus
08-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I enjoy talking baseball with anyone. My philosophy is this about opponents' fans joining in the discussions here:

Good fan: ones that come over to talk strategy, personnel, decision-making, schedules, players, etc. They're pointing out stats and reasons why they are high or low on their own club as well as even the Reds. When a controversial topic arises, they're not afraid to give an opinion (as they should) but it's done in a politeful way and only based on their own philosophy, and not derogatory to others.

Bad fan: continues to point out how Reds fans are "homers." Focuses on belittling the actions of Reds players, especially the ones involved in last week's 'brawl.' More intent on focusing on alleged irrationality of posters and their responses than actually talking baseball. If you're here to mock the opinions of Reds fans, you shouldn't be here. If you find yourself in a conversation that is heading that direction, your true colors quickly come out. Bad posters make it about others instead of about them.

Personally, I'll take all the good posters we can find, regardless of fandom. But the bad ones... weed them out quickly!

GIDP
08-15-2010, 04:18 PM
the problem was just that the bad posters were so plentiful that it had everyone on edge, giving every cardinal fan a bad wrap, and that it was bringing the worst out of people who genuinely were pretty good posters. It was just a tornado of trash filling it up.

It's certainly calmed down as of late, still not perfect but it has calmed for sure. I'm guessing the storm it over.

redsfanmia
08-15-2010, 06:06 PM
the problem was just that the bad posters were so plentiful that it had everyone on edge, giving every cardinal fan a bad wrap, and that it was bringing the worst out of people who genuinely were pretty good posters. It was just a tornado of trash filling it up.

It's certainly calmed down as of late, still not perfect but it has calmed for sure. I'm guessing the storm it over.

Ignore them and do not respond to any post they make, bam problem solved.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Ignore them and do not respond to any post they make, bam problem solved.

If only it was that simple. I didnt respond to them that much once I figured out that it was obviously a lost cause. The issue was that other people would, or that the trolls would go to any thread and ruin it. It basically made it impossible to read post even if you didnt respond to them.

But for the most part it looks over with for now.

redsfanmia
08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
If only it was that simple. I didnt respond to them that much once I figured out that it was obviously a lost cause. The issue was that other people would, or that the trolls would go to any thread and ruin it. It basically made it impossible to read post even if you didnt respond to them.

But for the most part it looks over with for now.

Actually it is that easy, all they want is for you to respond. There is very little in the Sun Deck worth responding to anyway.

GIDP
08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Actually it is that easy, all they want is for you to respond. There is very little in the Sun Deck worth responding to anyway.

Ok now if only every single person on the board would do it. Like I said its not that easy to just never post and expect everyone to never reply. People are going to fall for it even if they dont mean to.

redsfanmia
08-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Ok now if only every single person on the board would do it. Like I said its not that easy to just never post and expect everyone to never reply. People are going to fall for it even if they dont mean to.

Just dont repsond or ignore it. It sucks but it will only be for a short while, once the Cardinals fall 5 or 6 games out they will stop caring.

Joseph
08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Report posts that appear to be trolling. We will do our best to sort through and deal with it.

Swampturkey
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM

I'm guessing that's just until the Reds come to St. Louis in a couple weeks...

paintmered
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
As others have mentioned, this was largely unprecedented in the history of RZ, and we were caught off guard. We're wiser to it now and anticipate another round of visitors for the next Cardinals series.

Kingspoint
08-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you for your feedback. It's not really what any of us wanted to do, but I've made a temporary change: registration is still open, but new members are not allowed to post without first being approved by an administrator/moderator. In the 10+ years of running this site, this sort of problem has never come about, so excuse us if we were unprepared because it was unexpected. On one hand, it's refreshing to see the Reds playing well enough to provoke this kind of reaction from fans of a rival team.

In the meantime, please continue reporting any posts that violate the rules of the board and we'll deal with them accordingly. Thank you for your patience.

It really is odd.

In 20+ years of posting on forums, I've never used an "ignore" button before. I'm extremely tolerant when it comes to others' viewpoints about things. Whether I agree with them or not or like them or not, I'm still willing to listen to their opinions. But, these weren't opinions. I used it 5 times during the Cardinals series and got tired of using it.

macro
08-15-2010, 11:59 PM
It really is odd.

In 20+ years of posting on forums, I've never used an "ignore" button before.

You were posting on forums in 1990? That's a serious question, because I'm not sure what you mean.

Kingspoint
08-16-2010, 12:59 AM
You were posting on forums in 1990? That's a serious question, because I'm not sure what you mean.

I was posting on forums (referred to as "bulletin boards" back then) in 1988, actually. When modems were 150Kb, and I'd use my computer to make phone calls even back then.

Everything was in text mode. I still prefer text mode over anything. Really can't stand all the bells and whistles.

It's been a while, but I believe I posted on The Enquirer's bulletin boards back in 1991. I'm sure that 10-15% of the posters here were doing that then, too.

macro
08-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Hmmm...interesting. So, did you specifically call that bulletin board's number? I take it that the connection was just between you and the host computer and no others (unless you dialed a different number)?

Roy Tucker
08-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Hmmm...interesting. So, did you specifically call that bulletin board's number? I take it that the connection was just between you and the host computer and no others (unless you dialed a different number)?

Yep. Dialed in with a dumb terminal (vt100, etc.) and modem.

Probably more than what you wanted to know but an interesting read from a computer historical viewpoint....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

RBA
08-16-2010, 10:32 AM
For some of you youngsters, watch WarGames. That movie was made in 1983 and it showed bbs and modems.

nate
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Yep. Dialed in with a dumb terminal (vt100, etc.) and modem.

Probably more than what you wanted to know but an interesting read from a computer historical viewpoint....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

Yep. I used to be on several BBS systems in 1985.

I thought I was pretty cool with my 1200 baud modem!

westofyou
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM

I still have my 1200 cradle

Roy Tucker
08-16-2010, 12:50 PM

I thought I was cool with my Silent 700.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Silent-700.jpg/220px-Silent-700.jpg

nate
08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Lol, cradles.

Have you guys heard about "matches?"

:cool:

macro
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Silent-700.jpg/220px-Silent-700.jpg

How, exactly, did the iPhone fit onto that?

mlh1981
08-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Far out.

Kinda like car phones. :D

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 05:48 AM

I guess so!

1200 baud in 1985? Wow. Most people had 150 baud modems then. It was that Summer when the Tandy 1000 first came out. (A computer that actually had a built-in hard drive.) The first one is in the Smithsonian. I remember that TRS-DOS rivaled IBM-DOS equally that year.

In 1985 there were tape-decks that plugged into Color Computers (CoCo's), that acted as hard-drives, though that was going out of style with the new Tandy1000's. (The CoCo is still a classic.)

The first "King's Quest" came out that year. I didn't know the instructions and just started typing. It was the first "home" game that had a sense of humor. It was pretty addicting.

When I was in Computer Programming in College in 1980-1983, I remember there were some "odd" people tucked away in a small section of the Computer Department taking a class about MS-DOS. I thought, "What a waste of time". Little did I know as I sat in my Assembly, COBOL, RPG, EasyTreve classes and other Business and Accounting Computer Courses writing programs so that they could be "batched" on an IBM-4331 and later on an IBM-370. (Do I still remember the numbers of those computers? I think those were the two main-frames we had in College.)

The concept of using a single terminal to run a program was foreign as I was in the middle of transitioning between "punching" 1500 cards for a simple program and using "dumb" terminals to type code. When you wrote a program, you tried to use as many MACROS as you could so you wouldn't have to re-type a batch of cards. Every MACRO you ever wrote, you remembered, for this purpose alone. When COBOL came out with so many MACROS of it's own, it was such a time-saver for programming. It had few bugs and few limitations, so it was well-received.

That wasn't that long ago, though in computer-age it's eons ago.

There's a lot of old-time programmers that are on REDSZONE. I think people today would have loved to have seen how it was, especially using Assembly Language. If you like logic, you'd love to have written programs in Assembly. It was actually a lot of fun.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 05:51 AM

That would be a good "Pickles" cartoon.

"Grandpa? What is that?"

Fill in the rest.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 05:59 AM

I remember seeing a few of those in offices.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Remember when businesses would tell customers, "Check the company's BBS"? They were the first "company web-sites". That's where you'd find updated information about products and services.

Roy Tucker
08-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I was a system manager for a PDP-11/70 back in about 1977-78. I had to boot the machine each day by toggling in a instruction boot sequence through the front panel. It had an 18 bit switch register on the front that I'd toggle in the bit sequence of the instruction and then toggle load. I think it had like 37 instructions and if you got any of them wrong, the machine would say "huh?" when you tried to boot.

Came in handy when I went to grad school at Wright State and we had to write a rudimentary operating system for a little PDP-11/03. Nothing like a bare metal computer to make you appreciate an OS. That was all Macro-11 assembler.

And for school, I'd go to the keypunch room and punch out my card deck to submit to the IO window to an IBM 360. Some of the programs were pretty big and I'd find out the klutzes in the computer room dropped my box and scrambled the cards. Good thing I put sequence numbers on each card. We had an IBM 082 card sorter where I'd worked and I'd run it through that to get it back into sequence.

Get off my lawn all you whipper-snappers!

oneupper
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
And for school, I'd go to the keypunch room and punch out my card deck to submit to the IO window to an IBM 360. Some of the programs were pretty big and I'd find out the klutzes in the computer room dropped my box and scrambled the cards. Good thing I put sequence numbers on each card. We had an IBM 082 card sorter where I'd worked and I'd run it through that to get it back into sequence.

Get off my lawn all you whipper-snappers!

Yep. IBM sold a ton of these to schools. Even in Venezuela where I did my undergraduate studies. Packs of cards as high as you can imagine and one typo would give you the dreaded "compilation aborted".
Good times.

Kingspoint
08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes. I got to where I could "keypunch" 80 words per minute with only about 7-8 cards per 1000 with a typing error. Interestingly, the "sound" of the key-punching helped the accuracy.

I'd literally spend 40 hours per week in the Computer Room at school. I can't think of anyone who didn't have their cards dropped. What a nightmare. My apartment was loaded with stacks of cards (programs). Was it any wonder why programmers were a little quirky? You had to be.

WVRed
08-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow, this thread has REALLY gotten off topic, lol.

I think there is a VBulletin feature for this, but a UK board that I post on has it set up to where the mods I believe have to allow the post before it is seen on the message board. This is only for new members.

Example:

Cardinal Troll registers to post

Cardinal Troll makes trolling post in Sun Deck

The post is not displayed until a mod or admin sees the post

Mod sees post is trolling and bans Cardinal Troll

I think that is how it works but it would create more work for the mods here. Might be something to consider though and would keep the nerd fights from getting escalated. :)

Heath
08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Certainly RFS could delight us with stories of his new-fangled math counter called an abacus. Sure beat counting beans!!

:p:

Captain Hook
08-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Just to get back on topic.

You guys are a bunch of nerds.:D

11larkin11
08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
How, exactly, did the iPhone fit onto that?

USB port in the back. Its hidden.

GIDP
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I just want to say nothing happened this time. I dont know if it was preventative measures or just no trolls bothered.

Either way it was a good weekend.

mckbearcat48
09-10-2010, 01:52 PM
The only Cards fans left here actually are baseball fans, not trolls. Good for all parties.

Boss-Hog
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
On a related note, if and when the Reds clinch the division ("if" in italics just to maintain good karma :)) , I'm planning on re-enabling registration without moderating new users. If we experience the same issue that caused this change to be made, it's easy enough to switch it back.

justincredible
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
The Phillies trolls are starting to come on in full force now.

WF28
10-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I come in peace... :)

westofyou
10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I come in peace... :)

Others ruin your teams fans rep with crappy, baiting BS.

WF28
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I will restore our reputation

WF28
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
dumb question, but why does it say I have 0 posts?

Chip R
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Your post total doesn't accumulate in this particular forum.

Boss-Hog
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
We have made the decision to temporarily moderate all new registrations again after what occurred today. That setting will be reset at a date and time TBD.

Rockermann
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Thank you!

TeamSelig
10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
We have made the decision to temporarily moderate all new registrations again after what occurred today. That setting will be reset at a date and time TBD.

Thank you.

WF28
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
how can I gain access to the main forum? I wanted to post in the game thread for tonight, but I do not have permission. :(

paintmered
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
how can I gain access to the main forum? I wanted to post in the game thread for tonight, but I do not have permission. :(

See this: http://www.redszone.com/aboutus.html

Brutus
10-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Earn your stripes, kid. When you're ready for the big leagues, you'll get the call. ;)

Boss-Hog
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Registration is again enabled without the need for us to individually approve users before they can post. If that becomes a problem again, we'll adjust as necessary as we did last time.