PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feeling like they care a little TOO much?

GADawg
08-12-2010, 07:24 PM
man i gotta say I've been in a (add your own explicative)mood the last couple of days and I'm afraid it's directly a result of the Cards series. I'm usually a pretty personable easy going kinda guy but I'm snapping at everyone this week. Maybe it's just the Georgia heat but if Josh Johnson does his thing tomorrow night I might bite this laptop in half.

btw my wife pulls for the Reds harder than anyone and that despite the fact that she couldn't care less.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah. That usually happens when your expectations get a little too high. This season is a first step to the club becoming legitimate and not the end all as many of us (myself included) think. Let the season playout and we'll see what happens.

This team still has a bit to go to challenge anyone. That said, they are awfully close.

Rojo
08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
No. I decided years ago not to get too up or down about sports.

westofyou
08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
No. I decided years ago not to get to up or down about sports.
Life's hard enough without tacking your mood to a entity you have no control over.

GADawg
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Life's hard enough without tacking your mood to a entity you have no control over.

your aren't lying....I feel a silly for getting worked up over it and for living in a state of depression for the last 20 years!

If only I could've gotten on to the field to get a piece of Carpenter the other night...

Redsfan320
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I haven't been in a generally bad mood, however, I can't help but feeling that the Reds are utter failures for getting swept, when I know they're still having a very good season.

If only I could've gotten on to the field to get a piece of Carpenter the other night...

Yeah, there's definitely a strong desire to do that. He's a darn good pitcher, but boy is he the eternal whiner.

redsmetz
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I understand, Gadawg. I was disappointed in our performance in this series, but I'm very aware that it's not the end of the world with regards to this season. We were down a game a little over two weeks ago and climbed back out. I continue to believe this season will go down to the wire and it's going to be up and down. On the bright side, we've had a least three series where we were swept and we're just a game back nearing the middle of August (and it might be four - I'm thinking this one, Braves & Phils, did the Buccos sweep us once this season too?)

[quick check showed Phils, Braves (2 game series), St Louis, Pirates and Mariners]

GADawg
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I understand, Gadawg. I was disappointed in our performance in this series, but I'm very aware that it's not the end of the world with regards to this season. We were down a game a little over two weeks ago and climbed back out. I continue to believe this season will go down to the wire and it's going to be up and down. On the bright side, we've had a least three series where we were swept and we're just a game back nearing the middle of August (and it might be four - I'm thinking this one, Braves & Phils, did the Buccos sweep us once this season too?)

[quick check showed Phils, Braves (2 game series), St Louis, Pirates and Mariners]

yep not the end of the season(or the world) by a longshot. It's funny living in Georgia I really stick out as a Reds fan(amongst my golfing buddies, co-workers, etc..)and man do they ever give it to me when something negative happens. Hopefully I will have the last laugh.

Ron Madden
08-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Baseball is a game. Games are to be enjoyed.

redsfandan
08-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Not really.

I just try to keep things in perspective. This is a game, it's not life and death stuff. The down moments this season (like the Cardinals series, the big loss to Atlanta back in May, etc) just hurt alot more 'cuz it's been awhile since the Reds have had a really good season. But even if this season is like '99 and the Reds just miss the playoffs, this season would still be a big improvement over the last decade. And, unlike what happened after '99, I think the Reds have the ability to be competitive the next few years (as long as they don't do something to screw things up :pray:).

All that said, the upcoming Left Coast trip will be big. But, right now, the Reds are still just ONE game back. And it seems like it's been awhile since the gap between the Reds and Cardinals was more than 2 games. I don't think this race is over at all. There's still alot of baseball left to be played and anything can still happen.

Edskin
08-13-2010, 08:28 AM

This is sage advice, but it doesn't work for me. If I had no emotional attachment to my teams, I really don't think I'd even watch or care. The fact that a win makes me happy and loss makes me sad/frustrated, is sort of what it's all about for me.

oneupper
08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
This is sage advice, but it doesn't work for me. If I had no emotional attachment to my teams, I really don't think I'd even watch or care. The fact that a win makes me happy and loss makes me sad/frustrated, is sort of what it's all about for me.

And so it is for many of us. You make an emotional investment in a sport/team. You reap the rewards or suffer the losses.

To remain sane, a good strategy is to diversify your investments (emotional): sports, job, family, hobbies.

RedFanAlways1966
08-13-2010, 08:41 AM
The older I've gotten, the less emotional I have have become. Years ago I'd yell at the TV... umpires, opposing players, REDS players, managers, etc. Not anymore. It might be age or it might be years of losing. I have mellowed.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
No. I decided years ago not to get too up or down about sports.

Same here. As I have gotten older the less I dwell on "my" teams losses. Just too many other things that go on that are more important than something you have no control over. I may be down a bit when a loss occurs but it's never lasting at all anymore. I suspect most people gradually mellow out on their sports teams they follow. Not that they don't care anyomore but it's like whay waste the energy when you have much more important things going on in your life.

durl
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Think back to the early weeks of April and imagine if someone told you that the Reds would be just a game out of first place in mid-August.

Here's my take. While remaining in first after the Cards series would have been ideal, it was only a battle...the war continues. I'll be perfectly happy for the Reds to lose to the Cards if they go back to their winning ways and take over first again.

Ghosts of 1990
08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Absolutely.

I'm the reason that Jay Bruce has regressed and not became a player. I literally want him to succeed so badly that I've put a hex or jinx on him by caring TOO much. I've tried to stop, but it won't work.

I apologize to my fellow Reds fans for that.

RichRed
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
As it happens, my interest had actually waned over the years - until I found this site. So thank/damn you, RedsZone!

George Anderson
08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
It is just nice to care about the Reds in August period.

Hoosier Red
08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
It is just nice to care about the Reds in August period.

There's great wisdom there George.

I remember when I came to that conclusion with the Bengals. I think it was the first season under Marvin. Previously, when they went 8-8 it was usually a late season run and the playoffs weren't happening anyway. That season they lost to the Browns on the last day of the season and fell to 8-8 when 9-7 would have put them in the playoffs. I was so angry at having come so close and yet still not gotten there, but then I realized it was nice to actually be angry at the end of one sports contest. Usually I had just felt so listless and beaten down by the franchise during the season. The fact that I still cared was a bit of a reward in itself.

There's some beauty in feeling the pain of an individual loss(or 3) now.